Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stuker
Jul 9, 2003

yeah Agent Style looks wild as hell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stuker
Jul 9, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BdMHO5m5KbQ

wowza is right

stuker
Jul 9, 2003

purely speculating after about 1-2 hours (probably bigger LAD spoilers) but i am very excited to fight ichiban and the gang. i sort of hope it plays out RPG style, would be a nice transition to infinite wealth

stuker fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Nov 9, 2023

stuker
Jul 9, 2003

spiritual bypass posted:

Having a great time with everyone's favorite, Sega Classic Racing 2

stuker
Jul 9, 2003

(~3hrs) finding a way to get to the "castle" while ichiban is in a coma dreaming about dq made me smile (i think he's still knocked out at the camp? timeline seems murky after the move to sotenbori through where i've played)

stuker
Jul 9, 2003

(LAD8 demo) if he’d been wearing the glasses yamai would have just thought joryu went on vacation, hanawa must be livid rn

e: i was already excited for this game but the demo has certainly ramped that up

stuker fucked around with this message at 10:08 on Nov 17, 2023

stuker
Jul 9, 2003

not entirely on topic, but a lot of new scott pilgrim show E7 felt like an RGG homage

stuker
Jul 9, 2003

DisposableHero posted:

Quite a while back I had started series playthrough with 0. I got through Kiwami 1 and had started 2 but LAD came out and I got excited and switched to that.

I'm closing on finishing LAD finally. I gather from context clues that Gaiden references the older games/characters more than LAD itself does. Will it matter that I'm not fully caught up on the older games if I want to jump in to Gaiden after LAD?

timing aside i pretty much followed this course (LAD->0->K1->K2 in progress) and the only stuff you really need to know are either things that will be part of the intro or stuff that is technically a spoiler but probably known to you if you're posting in this thread: kiryu started running an orphanage, a lot of stuff happened, then he faked his death to protect them. there's clearly plenty to be gained from being more familiar with the lore but you shouldn't be too confused on the core of the plot

i will say going immediately back to sotenbori in K2 after gaiden was incredibly disorienting, i kept on tilting the camera up for no reason

stuker fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Nov 22, 2023

stuker
Jul 9, 2003

Shinjobi posted:

Yeah I scared my wife when I realized who that was on the screen.

Strap the gently caress in

she's supposed to be in the US isn't she? would be a travesty to not have her show up

stuker
Jul 9, 2003

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

This series is at its best when it’s plots are dumb as hell.

I’m playing lost judgement for the first time and this 40 year old man sneaking into high school on a skateboard to beat up a bunch of high schoolers while lecturing them about bullying is filling me with the purest glee

i really need to start the judgement games

stuker
Jul 9, 2003

MorningMoon posted:

So many amazing substories in 7 :allears:

speaking of, a few synopsis on substories in 8, click at your own peril, the first picture when you scroll down made me scream
https://www.gematsu.com/2023/12/like-a-dragon-infinite-wealth-details-substories-personality-stats-and-bond-level

I'm not even a fan of tomatoes, but this is something else.

stuker
Jul 9, 2003

i can't believe i've never noticed SEGA in the menu until now

stuker
Jul 9, 2003

Khanstant posted:

Some of y'all said circle back to 4 after 3 but umm bro what Kiryu just loving died??????????

Edit: what a sad end screen to boot. Knocked down 22 pedestrians, F level trust with Haruka, 20% completion.

you should make sure not to watch the opening cinematic for 4

e: actually doesn't the last part of the Y3 ending show kiryu hanging out fine at the orphanage?

stuker
Jul 9, 2003

Mode 7 posted:

I get that this is the team's first stab at a turn based RPG system, but if Like A Dragon Infinite Wealth doesn't come with some major, major adjustments then I guess I'm done with the mainline series and that's heartbreaking.

the combat system in 7 was never quite as abrasive to me so i can't say whether the changes will really solve your issues, but at least one aspect you mentioned (manual positioning for attacks) is definitely addressed in IW. and you're going to be playing gaiden anyway, so easy enough to jump into the IW gameplay demo once you finish and take the temperature

stuker
Jul 9, 2003

Last Celebration posted:

Is there job changing to see whether they fixed the “you carry over two skills from each job, no you don’t get to choose and no, we didn’t make each skill inherited unique to each character” thing? That was like my biggest complaint. Well, that and how bad 90% of status ailments were since they wore off when you hit someone.

demo didn't really get into the job system/progression unless i stopped playing too early

stuker
Jul 9, 2003

Khanstant posted:

Haha this dojo mini game suddenly, featuring mentor dates with Saejima. Guy who did a horrible crime at 20 and then spent 25 years on prison. Perfect dude to get advice from about a girl you like.

also in the middle of my first Y4 playthrough and i swear i dumped like 3 hours into that minigame as soon as i unlocked it

i think i'm still chasing the highs of Ichiban Confections

stuker
Jul 9, 2003

Khanstant posted:

I only did the first one before saving for the day, so I haven't dug in yet but it seems leagues better than the worst version of hostess club again just from the intro.

I was actually just trying to get some cats some stuff before getting pulled into a buncha weird junk lol. Minigame of just hit wall and punch rocks... I guess unlocking new paths or just his version of roof guy training. Gotta find some ash wood now I guess. There's a trash economy now too... Was that on part 1, I realized too late I never went underground as Akiyama but I was picking up hella trash and wondering if I just whiffed that not knowing chapter end was good time. Guess it wasn't vital if I was able to miss it entirely.

it's got a lot of parallels to the Y3 clubs but the bro dates are a fun change of pace and it's nice to end each cycle with a fight instead of walking around the club in the same circle

i didn't realize that locker keys were locked into the protag you find them with and did way too much exploring as akiyama, so missing the underground until saejima could be a blessing in disguise. you can definitely find trash in the first act but i don't think the exchange unlocks until saejima

stuker fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Jan 3, 2024

stuker
Jul 9, 2003

Dr. Cool Aids posted:

I'm gonna play the game
pretty much this

Khanstant posted:

Yeah I'm just gonna keep rolling. I've already picked ahead by starting the series with 7 and playing the judgement games, but at this point I am so close and I want to know the stuff so I'm just gonna do patience. I bought 5 or 6 the other day and it said some spoilery shiti n the item sunmaru that has me ?????ing so hard I can't just read the summary, gotta live through because goddamnit sounds like exactly what I've been hoping to not happen w Kiryu family unit.
P.s. zoned out doing dojo mini game and wasted many training days on stats that aren't even going up anymore. Whoops, but funny to see my guy go from lose every fight to win easy suddenly lol

my course has been LAD/7>0>K1>K2>Gaiden>3>4, but i spoiled myself some on 6's outcomes just from reading up a bit to give context to 7's back half. i regret doing this, but at the time i had no idea how much i'd want to play every game in this series

i'm probably gonna finish up 4 in the next couple days and i'm thinking the best move is to jump to 6 and do my best to clear it before 8 drops. 5 sounds long as hell and disconnected enough-- beyond Gaiden this is the first game i've had a chance to play on release and that seems fun

stuker fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Jan 5, 2024

stuker
Jul 9, 2003

(y4 finale) everyone was that saying prison saijima was the most infuriating part of this game, and i didn't think it was that bad

i definitely hosed up in not re-distributing gear ("if kiryu has it its fine he's the important guy"), but tanimura's final might destroy me

e: i know my entire issue is going in with only a protective amulet plus 3 restoratives but what the gently caress man akiyama had no problem with the approach

stuker fucked around with this message at 12:57 on Jan 6, 2024

stuker
Jul 9, 2003

any other series i know i’d drop the game rather than reload at that final battle phase if all i needed to do was inventory management

so anyway it’s been a couple hours of finishing substories in kamurocho i’m sure i’ll get back to new serena after this next one

Last Celebration posted:

The final fight balancing is kinda hosed, you can realistically treat Akiyama/Saejima’s final bosses as mid bosses with all the prep work that entails, Kiryu’s final boss was significantly easier than that iirc, and Tanimura gets the crazy spectacle fight against a small army that you wanna be fully loaded up on Staminan Maxes for or have the anti-bullet armor.

yep basically as you described, kinda frustrating because i want to do more mining but it’s a silly priority with how his fight goes

stuker fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Jan 6, 2024

stuker
Jul 9, 2003

Khanstant posted:

Lmao I thought I was at the end of the game but there's another 2 guys to play lmao apparently. Still as Saejima though, noted to get the tree armour for the next guy... Why is there a next guy anyway what the hell guess I'll find out soon enough. How do I get my sacred tree items to future guys?

Actually I came with a spoiler request but I was assuming I was near finale of game. I wanted to know if I should wrap everything up before Majima because the cops being everywhere is making doing anything annoying as hell. Bout to say gently caress dem kids to the one side quest because I just do not want to loving do the obtuse dance to get to wherever the hell the next spot is. I just spent almost an hour trying to get back to the hideout and ending up god knows where. Got a bunch of keys and quests along the way though.

There's actually so much crap in the game I keep accidentally finding. Some spa and table tennis game?? Weird pairing and I got owned.

as mentioned you'll be able to switch chars and get a unified item box once you get to the last chapter, saejima does still have to run from cops but there do seem to be fewer than where you're at pre-majima

i wouldn't stress too much about the sacred tree armor items until that last chapter unless you're struggling with something, didn't feel necessary for that char's initial arc but (non-plot spoiler on how you get them) they're gated on training completion for diff chars so going through the unlock will earn you some stuff anyway. i'm not sure if any of the trainings are locked by chapter so you might not be able to complete them at the moment

stuker
Jul 9, 2003

having to hold to sprint in 6 is very jarring after 3/4, but i'm mostly mad at myself given i've played other dragon engine games

e: ok, starting to wonder if sprint speed is lower or my controller is just acting screwy

stuker fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Jan 9, 2024

stuker
Jul 9, 2003

History Comes Inside! posted:

That’s why you put all the pieces of sacred tree armour on Tanimura before you go there

my second attempt was actually pretty funny, because between all the levels/training to get the sacred tree gear (and giving stuff to chars other than kiryu) i absolutely steamrolled the first three fights and likely could have pulled off tanimura's w/o the sacred tree buff. glad i didn't have to try and do that tho

stuker
Jul 9, 2003

I said come in! posted:

And the last few Yakuza games played really well on Deck. They didn't really require any sort of graphical sacrifices in order to have acceptable performance. And I say this as someone with really high standards for frame rate / graphic fidelity.

this reminds me of something i wanted to ask the thread: did anyone here play through Y4 on deck, and if so did they run into slowdowns regularly (seemingly unrelated to how much was happening on screen)? was an issue for me to the point where i moved back over to PC, but Gaiden played just fine so i'm wondering if it's the older engine or i need to do some proton tweaking

stuker
Jul 9, 2003

ImpAtom posted:

You fool! As soon as they get your money they will reveal that the game you wanted was actually swapped at birth with a copy of Madden 2016!

shipping from a warehouse in seoul no less

stuker
Jul 9, 2003

Ytlaya posted:

I get the distinct impression they may have only played Y0 and K1.

But yeah, at the very least they haven't done anything else from the post-PS2 era (since I really doubt they've done Y3).

i believe they most recently finished 7 from some earlier posts, and it wouldn't surprise me if that's contributing a bit to the "what if it was a reboot" mentality with the disconnect in the timeline

but in 7 you don't even run into date and haruka (i think? been a while) so how do you hate them that much after just K1/2 lol

stuker
Jul 9, 2003

Khanstant posted:

I think the plot in 4 is pretty interesting at least now that everyone's stories have finally knotted together. A lot of it ties back in to stuff from 0 and 1 in different ways but it's a little disjointed in how you experience the story and there are like 5 double crossing moments. It does put me in a spot of wishing Kiryu wasn't involved since he should be at home with his kids but at this point in the story yeah it pretty much is a Kiryu shaped job left to do.

felt the same way for most of the last chapter-- the most disjointed part imo comes (pre-finale cutscene spoilers) with Daigo. RGG do their best with the pre-fight speech but it came off overwhelmingly as "well we need someone for kiryu to fight". i also think there's plenty of ground that could have been covered on his life post-Y3; the game might have been better served with a daigo arc instead of the kiryu one, as sacrilege as that feels

stuker fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Jan 21, 2024

stuker
Jul 9, 2003

personally i cannot wait for Ichiban Kasuga, Office Linebacker

stuker
Jul 9, 2003

(minor combat system stuff) maybe this was in 7 and i've forgotten, but i actually loled the first time i attacked with a concrete block

stuker
Jul 9, 2003

CHaKKaWaKka posted:

Thankfully I already beat Gaiden. I had initially stopped playing 7 when I switched from PS4 to PS5 a long time ago but came back to it after beating Gaiden. I forgot that I had just changed classes on all my dudes and only had the basic weapons equipped for a series of story battles, that was an ordeal.

wait i know they had the free upgrade, but is there a way to convert your PS4 saves to PS5 saves for 7? i've found myself wanting to jump back in at times, but playing through an entire vanilla game is not ideal

stuker
Jul 9, 2003

abraham linksys posted:

are the podcasts you unlock after the first side mission dubbed in english if you're playing with english audio? because it's a total non-sequitur when you're playing with japanese audio lol

yeah this part confused me as well. the presumably english podcast is in english audio so i'm guessing they just need to patch in subtitles to podcast "songs"

(also right after 1st substory) the shot of chief after the crew jumps in the river was great

stuker fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Jan 26, 2024

stuker
Jul 9, 2003

Waffleman_ posted:

Very mean cutoff point for the end of chapter 2 but also I did need to go to bed anyway

not that it's anything new for the series, but 8 seems to be particularly leaning into its TV impulses and i love it

stuker
Jul 9, 2003

https://twitter.com/CoolBoxArt/status/1750803110195269838

stuker
Jul 9, 2003

woke kaczynski posted:

Chapter 2 I thought it was kind of bullshit retconning Sawashiro being the killer but I immediately forgot all about that because jesus christ arakawa

Mustard Iceman posted:

I want a Masumi Awakawa prequel so badly now. Dude was absolutely a beast in his prime.

yeah at this point it's up there with a goda game

(ch2) the whole trying to get ichiban to stop him last game always felt a bit off so i can't say i mind the sawashiro retcon, but i also feel pretty confident assuming he's 90% full of poo poo. did i miss it or by the end of the chapter is there an explanation for him not being in jail beyond "ebina pulled some strings"?

stuker fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Jan 27, 2024

stuker
Jul 9, 2003

it felt right to sneak into a high-danger area because ichiban and his new best friend kiryu deserve a nice meal after becoming fugitives

stuker
Jul 9, 2003

with RGG keeping english dialogue for the hawaii mobs i'm enjoying this series in a way i never could previously as a westerner. i'm finally hearing great stuff like "time for the show, dipshit" before launching a guy into the river, whereas before i had to imagine

was general walking dialogue audio dubbed in english 7?

stuker
Jul 9, 2003

double negative posted:

Punching an enemy into the street and watching them hit get by a car might be as much fun as I’ve had with Yakuza combat.

this wound up happening (with impeccable comedic timing) during the poundmates intro for me. the camera had even refocused on chitose by the time the dude landed

stuker
Jul 9, 2003

Kaiju15 posted:

My girlfriend said that Ichiban's facial expression on the level up screen looks like someone just described their boyfriend as "a real golden retriever" and he doesn't realize they were being metaphorical. I can't unsee it.

stuker
Jul 9, 2003

(ch4) i really hope there are more opportunities to fight on the catwalk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stuker
Jul 9, 2003

was trying to get rid of some hibiscus flowers and comparing the gift responses between chitose and kiryu, i think i know who will be receiving my bouquets in the future