Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kojiro
Aug 11, 2003

LET'S GET TO THE TOP!

Haha that's me, drew it thinking it was too niche a joke to work but uhh I guess it did?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kojiro
Aug 11, 2003

LET'S GET TO THE TOP!

Mordiceius posted:

Wow, the story of Yakuza 3 really doesn't start until you get back to Kamurocho.

I had set the game down back in March because the orphanage stuff bored me to death and burned me out hard. I can understand why others may have liked it, but it was just a change of pace I didn't care for. I had just gotten back to Kamurocho, saved, and turned the game off for three months.

Started it back up tonight and the plot immediately kicked into gear and I feel like you could have turned the first 5 hours of that game into a 20-30 minute walking around/cutscene break and nothing would have been lost.

Island Dad Kiryu is so underappreciated :smith:

Kojiro
Aug 11, 2003

LET'S GET TO THE TOP!
Not to mention that quite a lot would have been lost by cutting that section out or down cus otherwise a lot of Kiryu's motivation for the rest of the games would fall horribly flat or seem like some completely impossible white picket fence dream.

ps. rikiya rules gently caress the haters

Kojiro
Aug 11, 2003

LET'S GET TO THE TOP!

Mordiceius posted:

Are any of the substories in 3/4/5 worth doing or are they all incredibly boring filler?

I'm just playing these games for the story. So I don't care about doing everything, playing at a hard difficulty, or trying to get every trophy. So if the substories are all just lovely filler, I'll just ignore them all and just mainline the story.

3s are kinda dull, 4 and 5 have amazing ones. You can probably skip 3s without missing an awful lot. And yeah the combat sucks, the constant blocking makes everything you've been taught to do in the previous games into a real hard slog. Good luck ever completing a single rush combo :v: All that aside, the plot is actually pretty great!
If anyone else hasn't played 3 yet and isn't bothered about having a "challenge" I'd seriously suggest just setting it on easy so it's less irritating.

Kojiro
Aug 11, 2003

LET'S GET TO THE TOP!
4 drives me a little nuts because I really, really like it, up til the very end where I lose all track of everyone's motivations very quickly (why did Arai shoot Kido? Why did Arai... anything?!) but I forgive it quite a lot because haha money go brrrr

Kojiro
Aug 11, 2003

LET'S GET TO THE TOP!
I love 3 too- the combat is jank as hell but it's super charming, Rikiya rules, it gave Majima that really nice red suit, and Kiryu getting a photofit sketch of his dead dad figure is a great initial hook.

Kojiro
Aug 11, 2003

LET'S GET TO THE TOP!

Mordiceius posted:

I'm here for the overly dramatic crime family soap opera. Not to play babysitter to a bunch of annoying brats.

lmao enjoy 6 then

Kojiro
Aug 11, 2003

LET'S GET TO THE TOP!
I know the usual opinion is that Dead Souls stinks, but if I don't care about zombie shooty gameplay and just wanna see goofy Yakuza zombie AU funtimes, is it worth playing? Quite happy to knock the difficulty right down if the gameplay really is that clunky. Mostly asking because I'm nearing the end of 6 now, 7 has no concrete release date, and I saw a screenshot where Ryuji has a big fuckoff gun arm and I very much wanna see that in context

Kojiro
Aug 11, 2003

LET'S GET TO THE TOP!

Mordiceius posted:

Kiryu is a loving doormat to these children and I just get really bored with that gimmick.

Yeah man he should definitely suplex that 8 year old at the first possible opportunity

Kojiro fucked around with this message at 10:10 on Jul 3, 2020

Kojiro
Aug 11, 2003

LET'S GET TO THE TOP!
The place that makes the extremely good Yakuza tattoo jackets just dropped some new ones

Kojiro
Aug 11, 2003

LET'S GET TO THE TOP!
He's fun because he's a shithead.

Kojiro
Aug 11, 2003

LET'S GET TO THE TOP!
I dunno, I think "affable jerk" sums him up in 4 pretty nicely. If they didn't want me to think he's a jerk on some level then maybe they shouldn't have him push women into sex work when they don't really wanna do that, or bribe them to go on dates with him

Kojiro
Aug 11, 2003

LET'S GET TO THE TOP!

Last Celebration posted:

But also my opinion is probably colored by only playing the remaster, which translates his original yikes moment to him saying “why don’t you just do not prostitute stuff in those places like hostess work or non-erotic massages, it’s not like you have to prostitute yourself”.

Even in the remaster he definitely still tells one lady to go work in a "massage" parlour then says she mustn't have wanted the money enough when she says no. I like him anyway but he's very far from an angel.

I'm closing in on the end of 6 at the moment and agree it feels lacking- a lot of the NPCs are missing or replaced with generic NPC models (Komaki? Kamiyama? The Florist?) and while I get that they wanted to focus on Kiryu, having 4 of the characters they really made me care about be either in prison or in a coma for the entire thing is pretty rubbish, when it feels like it's gonna be their last outing too.

And yeah 3 needed/deserved a kiwami, honestly.

Kojiro
Aug 11, 2003

LET'S GET TO THE TOP!
I finished 6...
Already said what made me a bit ehh on it, and it definitely had an aura of sadness just suffusing it entirely, in a way most Yakuza games don't, which makes sense honestly. I know there's discourse over the ending but frankly I liked it- it's literally the only way he has to break the constant cycle, and he saw that everyone was set up to be okay without him. I teared up a bit at his letter to Daigo, so glad that finally got said. Sidenote but everything with Hirose was brutal and fantastic. The ship was goofy but hey, it's Yakuza, I'll take it.

Overall I saw the sombre tone they were going for and respected it, but wasn't as into it as I could have been. Looking forward to 7 getting back to full goofy with a new protagonist who hasn't yet had everyone he knows dying constantly for 7 games in a row :v:

Kojiro
Aug 11, 2003

LET'S GET TO THE TOP!

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

6 really seemed like it was building toward kiryu either dying or fundamentally changing his ways for the entire game. then the ending happens.

I mean.. he did do the latter? He left everyone he knows and loves and they all think he's dead. That's pretty big.

Kojiro
Aug 11, 2003

LET'S GET TO THE TOP!
I fixed Saejima's tattoo

Kojiro
Aug 11, 2003

LET'S GET TO THE TOP!

mind the walrus posted:

That's arguably why the games don't attract any ire from actual Yakuza too

These ones kinda liked it, even

quote:

M: Kiryu is the way yakuza used to be. We kept the streets clean. People liked us. We didn't bother ordinary citizens. We respected our bosses. Now, guys like that only exist in video games.
S: I don't know any ex-yakuza running orphanages.
K: There was one a few years ago. A good guy.
M: You sure it wasn't just a tax shelter?
K: Sure it was a tax shelter but he ran it like a legitimate thing. You know.

Kojiro fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Jul 13, 2020

Kojiro
Aug 11, 2003

LET'S GET TO THE TOP!
Yeah, Yakuza has it's ups and downs but on the whole it is loving awful about women in general

Kojiro
Aug 11, 2003

LET'S GET TO THE TOP!

Last Celebration posted:

Honestly I was pretty surprised there wasn’t a substory to rope him into joining Kiryu’s baseball team in 6, although that was probably a time thing considering the fully voiced sub stories and 6 in general deserving more time in the oven.

God that was such a missed opportunity, but frankly 6 forgot a lot of the other NPCs existed except Sodachi for some loving reason

Kojiro
Aug 11, 2003

LET'S GET TO THE TOP!

Quote-Unquote posted:

I'm not looking forward to any batting cage substories, because that's the worst minigame in every Yakuza.

Big words when both pool and JCC/sexy bugfights exist

Kojiro
Aug 11, 2003

LET'S GET TO THE TOP!

Peragus posted:

And the mysterious man is Daigo, right? That stupid getup can't fool me Daigo you nerd.

He learned it from Kiryu in the intro, where it was obviously working great for him!
Not gonna lie I am kinda loving Dead Souls? Maybe it's because my expectations were very low and I put it on easy but I'm honestly having a blast, it's like getting an extra Yakuza game I wasn't expecting. The plot isn't exactly intricate but all I wanted was zombie shenanigans with the horrible crime men and it is fully delivering on that!

Kojiro
Aug 11, 2003

LET'S GET TO THE TOP!

Peragus posted:

Yakuza 5 part 4 ch 3

TAKASUGI OUT OF NOWHERE SAVING SHINADA IN A FORKLIFT :swoon:

a-aniki??

no... KYODAI!
For real though, he's easily one of my favourite NPCs in the whole series.

Kojiro
Aug 11, 2003

LET'S GET TO THE TOP!

Wolfsheim posted:

Took a break from yakuza after beelining 0-> kiwami, just started kiwami 2 yesterday, already found the best substory

Still not the weirdest/horniest/best substory in Kiwami 2

Kojiro
Aug 11, 2003

LET'S GET TO THE TOP!
Gotta say I'm on Majima's section of Dead Souls and he is playing Weekend at Bernies with a yakuza patriarch in order to complete a drug deal and at this point I cannot fathom disliking this game?

Kojiro
Aug 11, 2003

LET'S GET TO THE TOP!

Peragus posted:

I guess after 5 I should try out Dead Souls.

For me it worked best after 6, which is a kinda sad game overall- intentionally so, but still- and Dead Souls has been a big dumb blast which worked to counter the bits of 6 I didn't care for much.

Kojiro
Aug 11, 2003

LET'S GET TO THE TOP!

MorningMoon posted:

So what's the usual gameplay loop like?

Oh the shooting is godawful, the lockon especially, but just set it to easy and you blow through the zombies like they're nothing- less so with Akiyama's pistols, but Majima can clear a room with a shotgun like no-one's business, and I just started playing Ryuji, whose gatling gun is just a hose of bullets you vaguely wave at zombies to make them dead. You only have to reckon with that in the actual zombie quarantine zones, and outside of those it's essentially Y4 with all of its minigames, no hand to hand fighting, a very pared down but goofy-fun plot, with chains of character-specific substories that take you in and out of the quarantine zones.

Basically it's worth it if you're a fan of the characters and the Yakuza sense of humour, and would like to see Goro Majima's Extremely Good Real Fun Day or watch Daigo attempt to have a very serious zoom meeting with the Omi to accuse them of creating zombies.
Not worth it if you're there for zombie horror, compelling gameplay or mechanical reasons.

Kojiro fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Jul 29, 2020

Kojiro
Aug 11, 2003

LET'S GET TO THE TOP!
Except when the lock on decides it really wants to aim at a mote of dust or a really interesting wall, sure

Kojiro
Aug 11, 2003

LET'S GET TO THE TOP!

Mordiceius posted:

With regard to my recent playthroughs of Yakuza 4/5 and Saejima - his portion was by far the worst section of Yakuza 4.

It is genuinely astounding how I disagree with almost every single opinion you post in this thread. Not after a fight about it or anything but drat it's just wild

Kojiro
Aug 11, 2003

LET'S GET TO THE TOP!

Mordiceius posted:

I mean, hey, variety is the spice of life. It's good that someone enjoys the stuff. I enjoy his character, I just don't like way that the game is incredibly open and then just railroads you for a few hours until the last 10% of the character's story is open again.
True that. I guess I don't care about railroading personally, as Saejima in 4 gets two of the best scenes in the entire series (the big cry in the coliseum and the noodle shop shootout (no i don't care about the bullets, it's still shot really well okay)) and that just thoroughly stomps all over any concerns about not being able to get to the mahjong minigame at will in my book.

Gort posted:

Random question - I played all of Yakuza 6 and have no idea what "The Song of Life" might be. Anyone know?

Ono Michio's debut single

Kojiro
Aug 11, 2003

LET'S GET TO THE TOP!

mastershakeman posted:

Reminder that in y6 and maybe k2?? There's a ton of codes for super powered guys for those missions, makes it a lot more fun

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/ps4/181153-yakuza-6-the-song-of-life/faqs/75786/clan-creator-codes

If you use the codes for Daigo and the top-level Kiryu from this you can cheese the entire minigame by spawning Daigo first, then using his extra deployment ability to call in Kiryu to murder everything for him. Which, I mean... it's in-character, at least. Breezed through the whole thing using that and Akiyama, Date, Tanahashi (for the heal) and Majima (because I missed him).

I did like that for no real reason Date's ability is named MUSCLE PARTY which sounds like something you'd read on a Kamurocho street sign.

Kojiro
Aug 11, 2003

LET'S GET TO THE TOP!

Wolfsheim posted:

Did Ryuji die at the end after he and Kiryu fought while shot to hell? If so, I'm adding another tally to the list of deaths that Kiryu is clearly responsible for that the game refuses to acknowledge, this one more direct than most.
Probably yes if you believe only the main games, no if you are not a coward and accept Dead Souls into your heart

Kojiro fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Aug 3, 2020

Kojiro
Aug 11, 2003

LET'S GET TO THE TOP!

Peragus posted:

I warmed up to them a bit after one of them helped Haruka fend off a sex predator since I figured they turned to being bullies as a shield against all the awful people in idol industry, but the game didn't elaborate on their behavior at all.
Speaking of that bit, would it have killed Kiryu to teach his kid even the tiniest bit of self-defense, goddamn

Kojiro
Aug 11, 2003

LET'S GET TO THE TOP!

Peragus posted:

It's also a crime that other characters aren't able to do the dancing games even in premium adventure mode. :mad: That Akiyama dancing substory was just a big old tease.

The worst part is how 5 and 0 are on the same engine so we could have had Majima dance battles instead of those lovely breaker battles

Kojiro
Aug 11, 2003

LET'S GET TO THE TOP!
I really liked 5's ending :shobon: It's actually my favourite Yakuza game, mostly because i was sold on the characters so much at that point. For me it's 5 > 0 > K2 > 4 > 6 > 3 > k1 but honestly the top three are very neck and neck, and if 3's jank was fixed I'd happily put it above 6.

It's pretty cool how everyone's got different rankings, shows there's value in the whole series. Can't say as I have a problem with ranking them either unless you're getting in some shitfit over someone else's opinions, but when would that ever happen on the internet?!?!

Kojiro fucked around with this message at 10:10 on Aug 6, 2020

Kojiro
Aug 11, 2003

LET'S GET TO THE TOP!
Kinda hating the idea of Majima played by anyone but Hidenari Ugaki, because the dude is just so perfect already.

That said, the guy who played him in the movie didn't quite look the part but drat he had the exact right energy and willingness to bounce baseballs off Kiryu's rock hard abs for two entire minutes that the role required

Kojiro
Aug 11, 2003

LET'S GET TO THE TOP!
I wanted to like Nagumo but he was loving horrific constantly to Kiyomi to the point of deciding that she, a woman he wasn't even dating, had betrayed him terribly with her crime of having dated another man years before they even met

All of 6 had this bizarre terrible theme of women being property that have to be passed on to another man to look after or whatever, it was very depressing and really kinda put a damper on the whole game for me.

Anyway best sidekick convo begins and ends with Takasugi prove me wrong :colbert:

Kojiro
Aug 11, 2003

LET'S GET TO THE TOP!

derra posted:

Yeah he starts off poo poo, but it's the source of his constant self-ownage and he grows out of it as the game progresses.
Kinda? A little bit? Him "growing out of it" didn't mean apologising to her or anything, instead he just lectured her about how to be a good mother. Wasn't wild on it!

quote:

Someya

gently caress this guy in particular! I saw what they were going for with him but drat it did not land with me. Any time your dying words are you having to swear you didn't hit your daughter because you sure did beat the poo poo out of your wife, it's not really gonna fill me with sadness over your death is all

Just so I'm not being completely negative about 6- Hirose owns, Matsunaga owns- I still had a good time with it overall but in an already pretty misogynist series of games it's easily the worst offender.

Kojiro
Aug 11, 2003

LET'S GET TO THE TOP!

IShallRiseAgain posted:

3-6 is amateur hour. I want the Isshin series to get a PC port.

I'll take that and a translation of the gatcha game too please

Kojiro
Aug 11, 2003

LET'S GET TO THE TOP!
Still not over this, what a waste...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kojiro
Aug 11, 2003

LET'S GET TO THE TOP!
I always thought it was bullshit that you never got to run Stardust exactly like you did Sunshine. Or Nyan Nyan Cat Cafe.