Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

HebrewMagic posted:

Yakuza 8 needs to have 8 playable dudes, just make it a clusterfuck

Well, if it's party and turn-based like YAKUZA LAD is that's probably not so bad.

Edit: Mods namechange to YAKUZA LAD please

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Mordiceius posted:

Speaking of crime dramas - can anyone recommend any good Japanese yakuza films? I'm not that knowledgeable of the genre.

I found Battles Without Honour And Humanity pretty decent. It does that "dun dun" thing where people's names pop up when they're first introduced.

It's semi-historical, and the plot is thus pretty goddamn complicated.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Mordiceius posted:

After the pleasure that is Akiyama, Saijima... ain’t great. He’s a weird, creepy pervert and his combat style is too drat slow.

Level up a bit and Saejima crushes everything.

That one scene with Haruka is an abberation, he's basically a monk aside from that and they should've just cut it.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

StabMasterArson posted:

What difficulty do you guys play these on? Been considering putting it up to hard but worried it would just make it more tedious with bigger health bars etc

I play basically every game on normal these days. I could see raising difficulties for a game with deep and fulfilling gameplay but Yakuza combat is general is fine, nothing too special.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Quote-Unquote posted:

Also does anyone else automatically stop whatever they're doing if they see a noveau riche guy? I don't need the money, I just enjoy punching them.

Yeah. I did enjoy how in one of the games they just got renamed to "Rich bastard"

Batting cages go through a few iterations, like with Shinada you can play them straight thanks to all his advantages. For most of them, just look up the order in which the pitches are going to come - I couldn't have imagined trying to complete all the batting challenges in Judgment legitimately.

Gort fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Jul 24, 2020

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Mordiceius posted:

I feel like the “Kiryu must save the orphanage” aspect of Yakuza 3 falls flat for me because.... why not just move the orphanage?

Have you seen that loving private beach the orphanage apparently owns?

man nurse posted:

Yakuza 3 owns. Bitches leave.

Hell, they’re all good.

Agreed, but Yakuza 3 would've been so much better with the Kiwami treatment. The mechanics and UI are creaky as gently caress.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

goblin week posted:

good lord everyone’s just blocking in Y3

Dodge behind people and hit 'em in the back, and learn Tiger Drop to annihilate the world

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Yeah, the combat's not really the reason to play these games. In the more modern entries, the combat is fine but there's too much of it. In the older ones, the combat's pretty bad, and there's too much of it.

Regarding the lengths of the games:

Random question - I played all of Yakuza 6 and have no idea what "The Song of Life" might be. Anyone know?

Gort fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Aug 1, 2020

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Ugly In The Morning posted:

6 has very good side content, but there’s a lot less of it than, say, 0 on account of the new engine. Almost all the mini games have been substantially reworked, the new baseball owns and has some great side stories attached to it. Clan creator is similarly fun with a nice side plot and dudes you can recruit.

I do think it's a shame that Clan Creator only lets you bring along like five named characters, and then has a zillion faceless goons you can spawn. Let me bring everyone!

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Mordiceius posted:

Is the Clan Creator is Y6 the same as YK2?

Almost identical, I believe, with the same real-life Japanese wrestlers in it.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

don't sweat the small stuff, there are guys and it's still a bad RTS

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Mordiceius posted:

It really adds nothing but frustration as there's no real space to maneuver at all. I feel like they want Saejima's portion to be so focused but then they're like "oh poo poo, we have to add in all the other stuff like hostesses and other substories" and so it feels like it does neither well. Just making Saejima's stuff almost completely railroaded would be a better experience.

That map definitely sucks. Use taxis wherever possible.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Peragus posted:

T-Set-I felt a little bad for T-set since their career was likely affected by this. I need to play the beginning of 6 again because I don't remember if they were mentioned.

T-Set were a pair of malicious jackasses who never got their comeuppance. One of my pet peeves with Haruka's section is how non-confrontational she is with confrontational villainous characters. If someone fights Kiryu, he beats them up and then gives them a short lecture on the error of their ways. If someone has a dance battle with Haruka, she usually says nothing at all after she beats them, and if she does speak it's just something like, "Try hard and do your best".

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Majima committing domestic violence was another weird choice. His ex-wife saying, "He had never hit me before" was jarring, and a big thing to just put in your narrative and then never remark upon. I feel like there are some things you should only put in your story if you're willing to explore them and give them time and examination, otherwise they come off flippant.

Gort fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Aug 7, 2020

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Carlosologist posted:

Yakuza is also very respectful towards the homeless which I honestly didn’t expect

I think one of my favourite Akiyama-isms is when he buys beer for the homeless and then just plops himself down and drinks it along with them.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Tanimura's parry block was enjoyable.

I remember a whole bunch of using that and not being able to capitalise on it.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

GoutPatrol posted:

Wow this boss fight in Yakuza 4 is some loving bullshit

the second time you fight saito in prison. Too few health items and he can chain you so easily. Just bullshit where it felt like I needed to relearn how to fight bosses

I think I beat him by getting the skill that gives you heat for blocking, blocking a lot of his attacks, and doing heat moves on him. Also make sure you have the skill that gives you heat for being in the red, and the skill that lets you re-block after your block is broken.

Blockity blockity block

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Erebus posted:

I tried to improve Saejima through his training master, but I'm now stopped at the point that I need to win a chunk of wood from the batting cages that I suck at.

There's a locker key for that chunk of wood on the "Century" sign along the west edge of Shichifuckyou Street's Parking Lot. Hopefully you didn't grab that as someone else.

Batting cages aren't that hard. I forget if Yakuza 4 is one of the ones where the pitches are always the same in the same order, so you can just write down what's coming and prep for them ahead of time.

Saejima is probably the most powerful fighter in Yakuza since he just crushes through blocks, doesn't get staggered while in heat mode, and has bonuses to escape grabs, so I'd say you're either not used to him yet or haven't gotten some of his signature moves yet. He's not fast, but he doesn't need to be when he demolishes everything in three hits.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

GoutPatrol posted:

Did they run out of money when making Yakuza 4? All of a sudden they're cutscenes with VO with the in-game engine, which didn't happen before.

Pretty sure Yakuza games swap between three different styles of cutscene, seemingly at random.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

And if it's not Kiryu that shoots you, the appropriate medical attention is to pick you up and wrench you all around while wailing about what a great guy you are and saying "Aniki!" a lot.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

QUEER FRASIER posted:

yeah this was a huge disappointment for me, the actual driving taxi missions were such a chill palette cleanser but there were only like... 8? of them? I would love to see taxi driving come back in a future game

I was OK with the amount of taxi driving there was - the transition from driving/driving with conversation/conversation felt like the game saying, "This is Kiryu getting to the point where driving is automatic and natural to him, now he just thinks about the conversation".

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Just lol if you won't have finished Yakuza LAD on PS4 before your PS5 upgrade copy even arrives

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Just a friendly request for people not to spoil Yakuza 7, it's the only one I haven't played so I just moused over a bunch of spoilers for it thinking they were for a game I had played.

Luckily someone else had already spoiled me on the particular thing in question but still, I wanna avoid Yakuza 7 spoilers if at all possible so please put nuclear warning signs up around those if you're posting them

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Honourifics are fine since they're tied to the name - which is a Japanese name whether it's a sub or a dub - and because they're really awkward to translate.

Like Saejima calling someone "bro" instead of "kyodai" doesn't have the right emphasis, and "honoured yakuza brother" is extremely awkward.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Just finished Judgment and it's hilarious just how bad Addo-dec nine is. Like it kills in twenty seconds flat and makes you look like a Resident Evil zombie. This is not a drug that's a few tests away from success, it's loving drain-unblocker. I'd love to hear some takes on the medical and legal sides of the story. It's dramatically cool and fun but it feels like it's coming from a parallel universe where a chief prosecutor's subordinates can just declare him replaced during a trial, or a defender and prosecutor can collude to try a case other than the one the court has convened to try but I know very little about the Japanese legal system other than they basically decide who did a crime then yell at them in a box for months until they confess

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Lareine posted:

Haruka's Trust

"Oji-San! Let's go and do that minigame you've been avoiding all playthrough!"

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Sakurazuka posted:

This is my issue with turn-based, it just slows everything down.

You'd hope that they would lower the number of trash encounters in favour of meaningful ones, then.

Every Yakuza game has had a ton of fights that are neither rewarding nor tense. They could easily strip those out if playtesting showed they bloated the game.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Finished the game yesterday! It was really good!

Extremely minor mechanics spoilers, like I name some minigames and a location or two, but better safe than sorry:

I'm wondering if I would have been better off not bothering with the upgradable weapons, though. It was a lot of taxiing back and forth between the Workshop and that one cart up by Dragon Kart that sells basic materials, grinding the Arena for more advanced stuff, and grinding Business Management for money. I'm not sure exactly how worthwhile it was compared to just buying the best available weapons as they became available.

Has anyone tried playing without upgrading a weapon?

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Al-Saqr posted:

Steam had Yakuza 7 on sale so I got it, I’m an hour into my first ever Yakuza and I’m completely and utterly hooked, this is like an awesome crime movie turned into an RPG, this loving rocks. Ichiban rocks.

After I’m done with this I should go play 5 & 6 and see what the hubbub is about.

Yeah, as others have said, play them in-universe chronologically. That means Yakuza 0, Yakuza Kiwami 1, Yakuza Kiwami 2, Yakuza 3, 4, 5, 6.

Yakuza 0 was released after Yakuza 5 as a prequel and jumping-on point for new players, and is the best entry in the series, and the two Kiwami games are remakes of the first and second games. As a result Yakuza 3 will look and play godawfully, so put that one on easy and blast through when you get there.

Don't play backwards down the series, that would be utterly bizarre.

Here's the attract mode trailer thing for Yakuza 0 in case you need convincing to play it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bg1DxItA8pE

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

I guess you could watch Terminator 2 and then Terminator 1 and still have a blast, but I think you need more of a reason to decide to play a series out of order than you do to play a series in order

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

If you're committed enough to be at the point of planning out the order you're going to watch them in though...

You'd also probably have more fun with 2 after 1 than if you hadn't watched 1 at all, 'cause 1 gives you all the character backstory and sets you up for the big reveal in 2 and and and

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

For me the key was to switch to the advanced speed-type kart that gets to boost 4 times per nitro pickup. The low top speed is meaningless if you're always boosting or crashed into a wall

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Senator Drinksalot posted:

Also I have everyone in Cyber Armor but the random street enemies are starting to hit pretty hard again, does the game really expect me to grind out like 80 million yen in the business management game to upgrade my armor? It was already a boring enough slog to get the Cyber equipment

I finished the game with pretty much everyone in cyber armour, so don't worry about that.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Last Celebration posted:

Is the cyber equipment that even as good as the free poo poo you can grab repeatedly from the final five floors of the Sotenbori arena? I remember seeing it in the workshop but at that point I realized grinding for free poo poo was probably gonna be less miserable than however much is needed for making a full set of armor.

I got the cyber armour long before I got to the arena, thanks to it costing nothing but money.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

If anyone's finished Yakuza Lad and wants more of this type of game, I can recommend Persona 5 Royal. Yakuza has better writing, but Persona has better mechanics. I'd love to see the next Yakuza game steal the mechanics from Persona, or the next Persona game steal the writers from Yakuza.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Admiral Goodenough posted:

I own a copy of Persona 5 (not Royale) but I've been hesitant to start it because the main characters are teens. Is the story very young adult-y or more mature? I don't mean as in everything has to be super gritty or sexual, more like am I going to have to play through a lot of teenage love drama?

I've seen some gameplay videos and the combat mechanics look fun, and it would be interesting to go from LAD to another rpg.

The story's fairly young-adult in that the heroes are like 17 years old and the villains are adults (though there are good adults too). There are optional romances but the vast majority of the story has nothing to do with teenage love drama. A major theme is the powerlessness of youth in the face of abusive adults.

The writing's not as good as Yakuza Lad but it has some very high highs (and admittedly some pretty drat low lows).

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

I would recommend playing Royal instead of vanilla if you do play it though - Royal adds some excellent quality-of-life features and the game is long so you'd get your money's worth out of them.

Are there any other games like Yakuza Lad that are worth playing?

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

LAD is basically an homage to Dragon Quest so DQ11. It doesn't have much in the way of story but if you liked the mechanics then it's right up your alley.

I mean, I stopped playing Yakuza Lad once I completed the story so if I wanted more Yakuza Lad mechanics without a story I could just play the post-game stuff in Yakuza Lad.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Have you played the other Yakuza games then?

Yeah, and they're not really similar to Yakuza Lad mechanically anyway, so you'd just be recommending me "games with a storyline" at that point

History Comes Inside! posted:

DQ11 has a neat story what are you even talking about

This thread's giving me whiplash now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

SiKboy posted:

I am confused; Are you looking for games which are mechanically similar to LAD, or which are thematically similar? Or are you only interested in games which play the same AND have a similar storyline in which case I'm pretty sure the answer is "No, Y:LAD is pretty unique in this space".

Mechanically similar. The storyline comment was in direct response to the assertion that Dragon Quest 11 "doesn't have much in the way of a story". Story doesn't have to be similar, it simply needs to exist.