Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
You can't prove that Kiryu has done anything more with a woman than stand there nodding while she rolls around on a bed in her underwear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

Last Celebration posted:

Personally I’m hoping the new game takes us to an expanded Okinawa, would be nice to go there with just mediocre gameplay and not crappy gameplay. :v:

Give me a sidequest, or hell a full minigame, where Ichiban helps Taichi become a pro-wrestling champion

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

Dewgy posted:

LAD2 have a playable cast in numbers approaching Suikoden levels, imo.

:hmmyes:

Just give me a big clubhouse where everyone I meet hangs out, because Ichiban discovered MMOs during lockdown and decided to start a guild IRL

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
If there's one thing 4 does well, it's making Kiryu really feel like a legend.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
Saejima's Dragon Drop in 5 is way better, just because it's so much easier to time a button press right before an attack when you can no-sell entire combos and just press the button in the middle of them.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
I'm pretty sure Tiger Drop is the only way to damage final-phase Amon in 5.

J.A.B.C. posted:

The point in Yakuza: LAD where Kiryu switches to Dragon mode and proceeds to Tiger Drop every regular attack helps to put just how out-of-depth Ichiban is into context.

Now I feel a little bad that I missed this by abusing Kiryu's chauvinism by just having Eri and Saeko slowly tear him apart. Proof that Majima is actually the strongest.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
LAD: In defense of Mirror Face, there's nothing about his two scenes that says anything about how he actually mimics people. He could spend weeks studying his subject and crafting a latex mask Mission Impossible style. It's at the very least not more absurd than rubber bullets.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

how does that work with tennnnndooooo though

LAD There is an unspecified amount of time skipped over between the explosion and the start of the final chapter, however long a Japanese election is supposed to last. Ichiban and crew spent that time laying low and formulating their big plan, so presumably that would include time for Mirror Face to work on his Tendo impression. Could they have actually shown any of this at any time? Sure, but then they'd have to make an actual model for Mirror Face and who has time for that?

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
5 works so much better than 4 because it's actually just 4 mostly unrelated stories that only converge at the very end, rather than one overly-complicated story that constantly switches perspective.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
Also some sidequests can only be started during the day or at night and won't show on the map if it's the wrong time of day.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
In the game released immediately before 0 they had a bunch of stuff hinting at Majima's past in a "there's more going on beneath the surface that he's hiding" sort of way, so when they made 0 they got to flesh that out a lot more, even though it meant duplicating some of the elements of his backstory because the timing didn't quite work out. Prior to that he was mostly notable as being the only character to appear in every game while also actually being a member of the yakuza.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

Ytlaya posted:

Yeah, but him being behind bars would have also made keeping him alive easy (since you don't need to include him in future plot beyond maybe getting a letter from him or something). Maybe he could reconnect with his other dad there or something.

I think the biggest issue is the whole thing with Arakawa wanting Ichiban to take care of his son. I can't imagine that the way things turned out is the way he would have wanted them to, even if "Masato comes to his senses before dying" is better than him staying bad. The way things went is still fine, but I think it would have been more satisfying for Ichiban to have been able to fulfill the wishes of Arakawa senior.

I agree 100%. The final scene would have been much better, imo, if it was Ichiban wheeling Masato out of Arakawa's funeral (and then handing him over to the police I guess.) If Masato's injuries put him back in a wheelchair, he's suffered consequences for all the poo poo he did, and is right back where he started, ready to start his own journey of rebuilding from rock bottom.

But the Yakuza series doesn't actually believe redemption is possible.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

Overlord K posted:

So I've kind of hit a roadblock in Like A Dragon which apparently lots of people hit, but kind of looking for some goon advice all the same.

On Chapter 12, I got up to the Majima fight and it just completely and utterly ruined me and it felt like I was severely under powered, even at level 38~40ish. Was my first game over of the entire game so far. My gear is all from tier 3 at the workshop at this point but am I supposed to put in the time to get tier 4 stuff, or is it simply a matter of just grinding even more? This kind of sucks cause I feel like I have to grind more at the arena and everything else felt really natural progression wise or a little rough but manageable. I haven't really touched the game at all since hitting that point so it's kind of a huge bummer.

In addition to what was already said, make sure you go in with a full inventory of lunch boxes and rocket launchers.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

Unlucky7 posted:

LAD Chapter 12: God loving damnit Majima

My party is level 40 ish and I am still having trouble. I am able to get through Majima's clones and get to the point where Saejima joins the battle, but from there I am one shoulder bash away from a death spiral.

Far as I can tell what I should be doing is try to burn down Majima asap after Saejima joins in, and I do have a couple of fire weapons (Burning Lumber +2 and Essence of Mayhem takes off 1000 on Majima I found). Any other tips that would allow me to kill them before they kill me, like a way of showing them down or keeping Saejima from one shotting my designated healer?

I hear if you keep one of Majima's clones alive Saejima won't join the fight, or at least you can delay his joining until Majima is significantly lower. My other advice is give up on this notion of a designated healer and just come packing as many lunch boxes as you can carry. Use every item you have, and make sure Ichiban always has his guts active.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

Jerusalem posted:

I got to the start of the Haruka section in Y5 and I just want to say that based on like the 3 minutes of screen-time they've had so far, Park is the greatest monster in the history of all fictional characters :mad:

You will feel ashamed of your words and deeds

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

Policenaut posted:

I really liked Shinada as a dude but I'm not too torn up that he never came back (so far).

It is a loving travesty that in 6 Kiryu puts together an amateur baseball team and never once even thinks about Shinada.

ZiegeDame fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Nov 27, 2021

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
3 is certainly a lot rougher than 5, but I feel like some of the emotional weight of Kiryu's story in 5 gets lost if you don't know what he's giving up, and 3 is the only game where you really get to experience Beach Dad Kiryu.

4 sorta does similar work for Saejima, but you at least get a cliff notes version of the relevant Saejima stuff in 0.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

Feels Villeneuve posted:

yeah i like Shinada but his story is done after Y5

i always liked that the beginning of his chapters show him walking around town and talking to everyone. he's a total fuckup but people like him!

I wasn't suggesting Shinada should have actually been involved in the main plot of 6. Just that he could catch a train to Onomichi every other weekend to play baseball with his good friend Kiryu the surrogate father of a guy he went to high school with. It wouldn't even be the longest commute of anyone on the team.

ZiegeDame fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Dec 2, 2021

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

Ainsley McTree posted:

I haven't replayed 3 since the remaster got released; did they ever patch it to make fishing possible? iirc something was hosed with it on PC that made the timing too tight for human beings to actually do it correctly

When I played it on PC shortly after release, I was able to catch a tuna by jacking up render scaling to max so the game lagged to hell and back, enabling bullet time for fishing.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
Make the next one Suikoden based so I can make every single person I meet in a substory come hang out in my castle, and half of them also fight with me.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
Have you considered that Majima just stopped caring as much about Kiryu once his true soulmate, Saejima, got out of prison?

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

RareAcumen posted:

Would people be for or against other characters coming in as guest characters for Ichiban's series? I like the summons, but I'd also love to just have Saejima as a guest party member and tear an air conditioner out of the wall to beat up a drunk driving hooligan enemy or something.

I thought about it for 30 seconds and I want Saejima to set up a dojo and teach you new specials.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
The defining trait of the most reoccurring boss fight in 6 is that he's a pissant poser wannabe.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
  • Wide variety of food-related buffs
  • Hunting wild animals
  • Fist-fight a bear
  • A colorful supporting cast of absolute weirdos
  • Plot-critical back tatoos
The next anime crossover game should be Golden Kamuy

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

bobjr posted:

Ichiban and party end up fighting the orphans somehow, who later become a pound mate call

Ichiban bumps into a 7 year old boy who is visiting from Okinawa to see his uncle, an up-and-coming pro wrestler. A series of comedic misunderstandings ensue, but when the dust settles Ichiban has several new friends. Someone remarks how Ichiban kinda reminds them of Kiryu and Ichiban continues to have no idea who the gently caress that is.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

grate deceiver posted:

By the time of LAD the orphanage kids should be around 18-20 so Taichi could just be a playable character beating the everloving poo poo out of everyone with wrestling moves.

:hmmyes:

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

grate deceiver posted:

Is Date-san the only Yakuza character that managed to maintain a relationship across games?

Majima and Saejima, after they learned the importance of going to prison together, and staying out of the main plot.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
So I just finished Judgment and I have only one question: Did Genda just imply that he and Matsugane were dating?

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

Ulio posted:

The NRA would love Yakuza, their favorite line is guns don't kill people, people kill people. But in Yakuza's case guns nor people can kill people.

The only thing that can kill a person is the weight of their own sins.

What I'm saying is (Judgment Finale) If Shono's first human test subject had been himself, AD-9 would have worked.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

Ulio posted:

This was me a few months ago, everyone who plays 2 expects some kind of carry over from their relationship but there is none. I liked that in 3 they didn't try to give Kiryu any bullshit love interest cause I ain't falling for that twice.

This is Rikiya erasure and I will not stand for it

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
I don't see a chicken in either of those boards, so what is even the point?

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
All the subtitles I remember have Kiryu saying "Majima-san" which is both inaccurate but still using honorifics so idk what the thought process was

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
The biggest challenge in 3 is not getting bored while you stand around watching the knife enemy dodge around, waiting for him to just loving attack already so you can Tiger Drop him into the nearest trashcan.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
The entirety of Majima saga takes place before the events of the main story, so just do it as soon as all three chapters are unlocked.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

Ulio posted:

So got back to playing Y4 after I had some other stuff to do. Do they ever explain how Akiyama turned 1 million yen into whatever he has since he is just loaning 100million yen to anybody.

:stonks:

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
The thing about Majima is he started the series as just the silly knife guy, and then eventually they started to drip-feed some character development into him after 4-5 games. It's just that the game where they finally decided to give him a proper character arc was also the prequel game designed as an on-ramp for new players. The way Majima's story is presented makes a lot more sense if you look at 5 before 0.

ZiegeDame fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Jul 12, 2022

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

SubG posted:

In the original PS2 version of Yakuza Majima isn't the silly knife guy as much as he's a dangerously unhinged, sickeningly violent psychopath. Like the first time he meets Kiryu he more or less threatens to rape Yumi, and if there's a running joke involving Majima in the game it's that he likes beating his underlings to death.

In a story that is full of people doing terrible things to innocent people for money, Majima stands out as doing terrible things to innocent people because he'll get to fight Kiryu. Everything he does in that game can be boiled down to him asking "Will this piss Kiryu off enough that he'll want to fight me?" He keeps failing to carry out Shimano's orders because he cares more about fighting Kiryu than he does about the money everyone else is chasing. That's the joke, such as it is. Yakuza 1 hadn't really figured out the humor side of the franchise yet.

Mind you I only played Kiwami, though my understanding is that all the main story scenes that weren't obviously added for the new version were extremely faithful to the original.

Ainsley McTree posted:

I agree with you, I liked 5 a ton as a video game, but if you put a gun to my head I couldn't tell you what most of the plot was. I do plan to some day do a replay of the series where I just skip all the substories to see if the plot makes any more sense that way, but I've got a backlog to get through first

The one plot thread that unifies most of the stories in 5 is "What the gently caress is Majima's deal, anyway?"

ZiegeDame fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Jul 13, 2022

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
Yeah, Majima drives a truck into a building and threatens to kill a bunch of women until Kiryu agrees to fight him. After Kiryu beats him he stops all that poo poo and gives Kiryu what he wants. That's how the crazy violent psychopath turns out to actually be the most honorable of all the antagonists. I suppose you could interpret that as him ceding dominance to the stronger man, but "he actually only cares about the fighting for it's own sake" fits just as well in the context of the first game, and fits much better with the context of the rest of the series.

Also, the baseball scene is funny, just a really dark comedy.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

SubG posted:

isn't really compatible with holding a knife to a woman's throat, telling her she looks "delicious" and asking her "How about it? Why don't you be my bitch?"
You're leaving out the part where she tells him "No" and he goes "Oh, alright then, off you go."

SubG posted:

And the silly knife guy, Kiryu's lolrandom BFF, absolutely loving doesn't kidnap Haruka. Like in the sequel, kidnapping Haruka is presented as so beyond the pale to the "honerable" yakuza that the mid-level antagonist who does it gets killed by the top-level antagonist for playing too dirty.

I assumed that we're supposed to understand Majima kidnapping Haruka as him following Shimano's orders as the Shimano family captain. Mostly because the final confrontation with Shimano is portrayed as a dramatic final confrontation when Shimano himself hasn't done a drat thing up until that point, whereas the Shimano family, lead by Majima, has done plenty.

I don't disagree with what you're saying about Majima's portrayal as an unstable psychopath. I'm saying that his actions at Shangri-la were meant to be a twist on his character that re-contextualizes his actions leading up to that point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

Ulio posted:

Also if you rush pons/chi you can't complete a winning hand?

In order to go out in Mahjong, your hand must be worth a certain number of points. Default is 1 but you can set it to a 2 point minimum, but that's probably a bad idea when you're learning. Just having any old assortment of 4 triplets and a pair isn't worth any points on it's own, but having a fully concealed hand or declaring Riichi is a good way to get at least one point. You can't do either of those things if you've stolen any tiles, so unless you have a specific high-value hand you're going for, stealing tiles is usually a trap.

That said, having a triplet of any dragon tiles or scoring wind tiles can get you a point, so if you can steal one of those tiles to make a triplet (or you already have one concealed) you can go nuts stealing if your objective is just to win a hand.