Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

canoshiz
Nov 6, 2005

THANK GOD FOR THE SMOKE MACHINE!

PhoenixFlaccus posted:

Getting pretty stoked about YLAD8 after listening to the soundtrack and watching that extended trailer. Glad Jo Sawashiro is back. They look cool as hell and it seems like they might be a main antagonist here. Is their face based on a real person?

Yeah, I think basically all, or a huge chunk of the named cast is a face model of their Japanese VA: https://www.behindthevoiceactors.com/video-games/Like-a-Dragon-Infinite-Wealth/japanese-cast/

For Sawashiro specifically

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

canoshiz
Nov 6, 2005

Can't wait for whatever Yong Yea is gonna do in the ending
https://twitter.com/RGGStudio/status/1732167975703073068?s=20

canoshiz
Nov 6, 2005

PhoenixFlaccus posted:

I thought having a concealed hand was a yaku in itself for some reason. Just looked at a list of yaku. If I drew the 9 myself could I have won with menzenchin tsumohou?

You pon'd the 9s, so your hand is no longer concealed. Yes, if you drew it yourself, you'd have menzen tsumo for 1 han.

PhoenixFlaccus posted:

So this is a hand after I pon'ed that 9 thinking it would be a ron. My hand was closed prior to the pon. Can anyone explain why I couldn't ron here? I noticed before this, too, that it wasn't letting me riichi. Usually when that happens I discarded something I needed to win, which as I understand is furiten, but that doesn't seem to be the case with this round.

You should still be able to call riichi if your hand is fully concealed regardless of furiten -- you just won't be able to win off of someone else's discard. The time to do it would have been before you pon'd the 9s, when I assume you were holding the loose 5s.

canoshiz fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Dec 16, 2023

canoshiz
Nov 6, 2005

PhoenixFlaccus posted:

I poned the 9 this turn thinking I could ron and discarded the 5. My hand was concealed before that. I tried to riichi the two turns before thinking all i needed was a 9 or 7. Sorry, I still am not sure I understand. So even with a concealed hand you need a yaku? And you can’t riichi if you’re going for menzen tsumo?

Yup, your hand was closed at the time that the person to your left discarded a 9s. You were in tenpai (1 tile away from winning), but did not have a valid yaku at that moment, so you could only pon instead of ron. If you drew the 9s yourself, like you said, then you could have won with tsumo as the yaku for your hand. You cannot pon and then call ron immediately afterwards, since this is basically like taking 2 actions in 1 turn. You definitely could have called riichi prior to this (not sure why you said you couldn't) and that would have given you the riichi yaku, so when the guy to your left dropped the 9s, you would have then been prompted to call ron. You can still tsumo while in riichi, but having a fully closed hand in tenpai just gives you the option of not having to fully commit to riichi, which is situationally useful (mainly protecting a lead and playing defensively, or if riichi-ing wouldn't add meaningful value to your hand).

edit OH I just looked at your score. You couldn't riichi because that requires ante-ing up 1000 points (you only have 300). That animation that plays when you riichi? That's Kiryu putting a 1000 point stick on the table.

canoshiz fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Dec 16, 2023

canoshiz
Nov 6, 2005

For what it's worth, I believe that riichi mahjong specifically has the most rules out of most forms of mahjong, specifically around furiten and yaku requirement to finish a hand. I still don't really think it's that hard once you've played it for a bit, the basic rules of drawing and discarding tiles is not hard, and the gigantic yaku list is basically like a Tekken movelist where only a handful of them are actually going to matter in a game. It gets trickier when you start to learn more advanced strategy, but that also doesn't matter for just playing online or in Yakuza games.

canoshiz
Nov 6, 2005

My strategy for farming the last few high level colosseum battles for the quests/money was to pick the chicken man as your point character, load up the roster with Kiryu + all the guys with guns and bazookas + rest of your high level gold rank filler (Daigo's heal is pretty good here), then start the fight and just run away until your heat gauge fills up to do the gun move and your R2 buff is online, then rinse and repeat. This basically guarantees an S rank and a few million.

canoshiz
Nov 6, 2005

Ytlaya posted:

I'm guessing that the "ultimate chest armor" for only certain jobs drops from each dungeon? I've gotten two or three copies of the Samurai and Kunoichi armor and one copy of Chef's and the S&M job's from Yokohama's.

Having such a good reward from chests makes half the chests having enemies pop out even more painful...

At least on PS5, you can kind of cheese it because the game will hiccup and pause for half a second when you interact with a chest that contains a mimic. Chests that contain items will pop up the dialogue smoothly.

canoshiz
Nov 6, 2005

Someone made a big ol post on reddit about how that ultimate weapon makes him the best physical attacker in the game once you shore up his lack of coverage with gun and water skills (not much choices for electric though). I guess I could see that but Kiryu on Dragon of Dojima style is just too cool to not use for me personally.

canoshiz
Nov 6, 2005

seiferguy posted:

Sujimon raids eventually get to where they'll start dropping crystals (if they aren't already) so even after you beat the sujimon league they're worth doing for the materials.

Y0 question: finished cabaret czar, unlocked mad dog stance and filled it out (up until what was locked behind what I'm guessing is a shrine purchase). The stance... isn't great? Compared to any of his others. Not sure once opening up the rest of the part it gets good but it feels like a total letdown.

It's alright, but nothing seems to be better than stunlocking the AI with the bat nunchaku combo in Slugger stance. One cool thing that Mad Dog of Shimano does have is the R1+Triangle counter move. It's effectively the same thing as Tiger Drop.

canoshiz
Nov 6, 2005

The scoring is broadly just "every major point (han) you get doubles your score" and "minor points (fu) increase your payout a bit if you don't have that many major points". Not sure what the origin is but it doesn't seem any more or less arbitrary than, say, payout ratios on a craps table or something.

canoshiz
Nov 6, 2005

Matriarch's AOE gun skill is also very good, but darts are just too good.

canoshiz
Nov 6, 2005

Fartington Butts posted:

They never revisit the fact that they built an underground copy of Ala Moana just to make bootleg fashion.

I think someone earlier in the thread pointed this out but it was really funny that they had this convoluted rear end bootlegging and passport fraud scheme instead of a way more normal and real thing like meth which has been a problem in Hawaii for decades

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

canoshiz
Nov 6, 2005

Ainsley McTree posted:

I could’ve sworn Tokyo had one too but maybe I was just thinking of Paris syndrome in reverse

It's probably because Tokyo actually rules