Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dick Milhous Rock!
Aug 9, 1974

:nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon:

Alright, so I was digging through some evidence boxes yardsale discards and came across this:

That's right, an intact copy of Tricky Dick, a game that was so awful and confusing that they deposited most of the manufactured copies in a satellite and shot it into space, presumably into the sun.

So after digging out my old NES, I was pleased to find out that the game actually started:

You might notice that the copyright is 1972, for obvious reasons this is impossible as the NES wasn't released in the US until the eighties.

Pressing start brings you to an unskippable title scroll, which has to pass up the screen everytime you start the game. As this game doesn't appear to have a password feature, I'll probably just have to leave the game on pause whenever I'm not playing. A bit disconcerting, but it's not like the NES era had many games that let you actually save your progress.

A bit of background here, I actually played the game a little way before I realized that it was in many ways a copy of River City Ransom also known as Downtown Nekketsu Monogatari (ダウンタウン熱血物語 Dauntaun Nekketsu Monogatari, lit. "Downtown Hot-Blooded Story") in it's native Japan. Except with a great deal of additional interaction. ダウンタウン熱血物語 was noteworthy for being more than a simple side-scrolling beat'em-up. A player could backtrack his progress, hold items, buy items, and wander around the city. In many ways it's the spiritual ancestor to true sandbox games like Grand Theft Auto. That said there are some quirks to the game and I haven't quite gotten the hang of it yet. Given the sheer number of options I ran into on my first (short) playthrough, I've decided to open up this Let's Play to audience participation between updates.

I'll pause it every so often when I run into a really interesting choice to give people a time to respond, and then either in the amount of time it takes to toast something on the overheating NES or whenever i wake up from my weekly nightly hourly frequent binge drinking I'll read the thread, pick from the best suggestions, then try to make some headway.

Alright, now we're to the first choice of the game:

Each character apparently has unique skills, but apparently they're described in the manual and not on the selection screen, so discovering them will be a bit of trial and error. It's a bit like Super Mario Bros. 2 (Originally Yume Kōjō: Doki Doki Panic (translated as "Dream Factory: Heart-Pounding Panic")) in that dying as one removes them from the selection screen and you have to start over the map/screen with another character.

So, who do we pick first?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
Voting Haldeman. Hot Pants Jesus Christ.

Edit: that was Ehrlichman but hman was in the room too.

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

Spiro or zero.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Agnew or gently caress you start anew

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

motgerfucker you best pick agnew

ass cobra
May 28, 2004

by Azathoth
Agnew for sure

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
I WOULD PAY SEVERAL HUNDRED DOLLARS FOR THIS GAME

Dick Milhous Rock!
Aug 9, 1974

Guess we're going with Agnew:

Now, before I get started, here's something that'll help you make sense of the game:

These icons represent things that can be looked at, picked up, or interacted with. I haven't run into anything that requires a directional pad input yet, but A or B inputs will either interact or place an item in your inventory.

Normally A punches and B jumps.

So here we are:

We are now Spiro Agnew, an all-around generalist who has the sneaking suspicion that somewhere Nixon is hanging out with Alexander Haig thinking of ways to kill us.

Dick Milhous Rock! has issued a correction as of 10:15 on Jan 23, 2017

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
im watchin anime and chewin caffeine pills and im all outta caffeine pills

Dick Milhous Rock!
Aug 9, 1974

On a side note, the pause button brings up the inventory, which currently looks like this:

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
how is this real

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

I always knew Agnew was a high energy guy.

AmyL
Aug 8, 2013

Black Thursday was a disaster, plain and simple.
We lost too many good people, too many planes.
We can't let that kind of tragedy happen again.

Dick Milhous Rock! posted:

On a side note, the pause button brings up the inventory, which currently looks like this:

What about the stat screen? You said it was in many ways a copy of River City Ransom so there should be a stat screen with the ability to grab passwords so we can backtrack

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown
this cannot possibly exist, did you meme magic this into reality

e: don't tell me, i want to believe

Digiwizzard
Dec 23, 2003

Pork Pro
OP please tell me you're going to defeat the hidden Eisenhower boss in the Milhouse-Industrial Complex

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

im the tm

Dick Milhous Rock!
Aug 9, 1974

AmyL posted:

What about the stat screen? You said it was in many ways a copy of River City Ransom so there should be a stat screen with the ability to grab passwords so we can backtrack

it seems to use most of the sprites, but the stat screen is different and there appears to be no password system, Contra (魂斗羅 コントラ Kontora) style.

Let's see what's going on over here, obvious this must be important or otherwise it wouldn't be behind this ominously large desk.

Well, this seems to be the dog you've been sent to find. It appears they've trademarked everything.

The flashing arrow commands Agnew! Agnew desires blood, or at least some sweet, sweet bribes.

Well, these appear to be secret service, but true to form they're either too lazy to help you or they only defend Tricky Dick. Also, no blood in these robots. However, this room has a few simple enemies and our first weapon! It appears to be a tie, which we'll equip immediately.

Then we use it to eliminate the last of these presumably communist robots.

Because of course JFK would get extra special crabs.

Now, next choice: Inside or Outside

or do I go back and see if I can rummage around in the desk?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

it seems to use most of the sprites, but the stat screen is different and there appears to be no password system, Contra (魂斗羅 コントラ Kontora) style.

Let's see what's going on over here, obvious this must be important or otherwise it wouldn't be behind this ominously large desk.

Well, this seems to be the dog you've been sent to find. It appears they've trademarked everything.

The flashing arrow commands Agnew! Agnew desires blood, or at least some sweet, sweet bribes.

Well, these appear to be secret service, but true to form they're either too lazy to help you or they only defend Tricky Dick. Also, no blood in these robots. However, this room has a few simple enemies and our first weapon! It appears to be a tie, which we'll equip immediately.

Then we use it to eliminate the last of these presumably communist robots.

Because of course JFK would get extra special crabs.

Now, next choice: Inside or Outside

or do I go back and see if I can rummage around in the desk?

do the desk, the desk (desku)

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
Stay inside and check out the Wilson Desk. Maybe we can find out how to turn into Sprio the Dragon there.

AmyL
Aug 8, 2013

Black Thursday was a disaster, plain and simple.
We lost too many good people, too many planes.
We can't let that kind of tragedy happen again.
Inside and well played but I hope we could visit an eatery or a diner so we can grind some stats, especially Agility so we don't find ourselves getting caught at an awkward time

Dick Milhous Rock!
Aug 9, 1974

FAUXTON posted:

do the desk, the desk (desku)

Alright, I've walked back to the desk (机Tsukue) to spam the A button near it. I've also noticed that once you clear out the enemies the GO! arrow doesn't appear again unless you really waste time.

Oh god drat it, Agnew. I'm pretty sure you're not supposed to be the one carrying this.

Well, it's in our inventory, ominously waiting for something to need it later.

Now it's time to head back to the doors and figure out which one we're taking.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Outside

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Goddamn. I really did google this game to make sure someone hadn't just gotten really creative with RPG maker.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dick_Tracy_(video_game)#NES_version

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
So if you are a public figure sketchy Japanese video game companies can just use your likeness for free?

Edit: And trademark your dog and your robotic crabs.

Elephanthead has issued a correction as of 15:31 on Jan 23, 2017

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Elephanthead posted:

So if you are a public figure sketchy Japanese video game companies can just use your likeness for free?

If you're a public figure, anyone can and they have lots of protections under the first amendment so long as they can sell it as "parody". This is why it's so hard for celebrities to sue tabloids.

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene
holy moly

edit: outside is scary, stay safe indoors

mormonpartyboat has issued a correction as of 15:58 on Jan 23, 2017

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
So I can start selling Trump brand penis pumps? There are probably already 20 on ebay but I am not searching.

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!
oh man did you plug the zapper in player 2's port? u get to play as Kissinger and cap whomever the fuckst thou shalt willeth

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer

tadashi posted:

Goddamn. I really did google this game to make sure someone hadn't just gotten really creative with RPG maker.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dick_Tracy_(video_game)#NES_version

Haha

Richard Nixon also known as 'Tracy Dick"

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Stefan Prodan posted:

Haha

Richard Nixon also known as 'Tracy Dick"

Is that like Flappy Bird?

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
awesomsauce dude, can't wait to see the crazy fanart this fantastic lp thread generates

Dick Milhous Rock!
Aug 9, 1974

Yeah, that sounds like a good start!

Wait, it's that rear end in a top hat hanging out there, who killed all of my lives the first time I played through this! Back inside!

You might notice that entering a new map uses an energy. I don't know what happens when you run out of that, because my first attempt I basically fed all my guys to the monsters outside.

mormonpartyboat posted:

holy moly

edit: outside is scary, stay safe indoors

AmyL posted:

Inside and well played but I hope we could visit an eatery or a diner so we can grind some stats, especially Agility so we don't find ourselves getting caught at an awkward time

frankenfreak posted:

Stay inside and check out the Wilson Desk. Maybe we can find out how to turn into Sprio the Dragon there.

Inside it is! Going through this door puts me in a nicer, more upscale area of the White House.

Let's see what this phone does.

Ah, Tricky Dick(tm) himself! And he tells us what our goal should be.

More crab robots everywhere. JFK must have had pubes of tungsten or something.

Let's check out the bookcase.

Spiro Agnew, you have weak noodle arms apparently and we cannot find out what's behind the bookcase.

Let's check out the phone.

Oh hey, a smug-looking Kissinger with witty but irrelevant advice.

THAT SMUG SON OF A BITCH STOLE TWO OF MY ENERGY JUST LISTENING TO HIM!

At the end of the hallway we run into what appears to be the first boss, or at least the first enemy with a name and health bar.

The tie wasn't good enough for this guy's pattern (it looked like he was slugging Agnew with a mug or something) so I switched to jump kicking.

SPIRO AGNEW FEASTS ON BLOOD AT LAST.

New fork: through the door or up the stairs? Or do you want me to try to interact with anything else in this area?

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Owns.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

oh look, asset recycling

also go up the stairs

Dick Milhous Rock!
Aug 9, 1974

get that OUT of my face posted:

oh look, asset recycling

also go up the stairs

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, also released as Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Super Kame Ninja (ティーンエイジ・ミュータント・ニンジャ・タートルズ 〜スーパー亀忍者〜 Tīneiji Myūtanto Ninja Tātoruzu: Sūpā Kame Ninja) which was released in 1989 clearly has some copyright issues if they used sprites from Tricky DickTM, which was obviously made in the year 197X

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown
Did you get any loot from the corpse?

Dick Milhous Rock!
Aug 9, 1974

Mayor Dave posted:

Did you get any loot from the corpse?

Hey, that's a great idea! Let's try that.

Hey, another item!

Unfortunately, it does not appear that we can currently equip this human skull.

Interestingly, it looks like Spiro Agnew only increases his score by looting objects.

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment

Wait, it's that rear end in a top hat hanging out there, who killed all of my lives the first time I played through this! Back inside!

Go through the door.

Dick Milhous Rock!
Aug 9, 1974

Bear Retrieval Unit posted:

Go through the door.

gently caress no! Ben Bradlee will eat me alive unless I grind out some levels. Also Tricky DickTM says there's a scientist in there that can help us get outside.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
drat it's seriously crazy how many companies ripped stuff off from this visionary game

• Locked thread