Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

Smorgasbord posted:

1. direct quote from your linked study: "These comparisons of earnings are on a broad level and do not control for many factors that may be important in explaining earnings differences." e.g this is useless.

2. I'm not entirely sure what you mean here but my post that you quoted stated quite clearly that I'm arguing the scale of the discrepancy and freely admit there likely is an element of gender bias

3. That's the main source of the people I have these discussions with. When the data is dishonestly framed by the media and feminism it becomes socially dangerous to even question the data.

4. That's not what I did at all, I'm quite happy to have that discussion because at least it's honest and progress might be able to made but unfortunately it's very difficult to get past the headline pay gap figures. Also I did not and have not ever used the word feminazi, I'm not trying to misrepresent you please give me the same courtesy.

5. I refer you back to the quote at (1.)

the number 5 quote was from your numbers sorry

:laffo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Smorgasbord posted:

1. direct quote from your linked study: "These comparisons of earnings are on a broad level and do not control for many factors that may be important in explaining earnings differences." e.g this is useless.

2. I'm not entirely sure what you mean here but my post that you quoted stated quite clearly that I'm arguing the scale of the discrepancy and freely admit there likely is an element of gender bias

3. That's the main source of the people I have these discussions with. When the data is dishonestly framed by the media and feminism it becomes socially dangerous to even question the data.

4. That's not what I did at all, I'm quite happy to have that discussion because at least it's honest and progress might be able to made but unfortunately it's very difficult to get past the headline pay gap figures. Also I did not and have not ever used the word feminazi, I'm not trying to misrepresent you please give me the same courtesy.

5. I refer you back to the quote at (1.)

If you're still interested in how to go about bringing this up, I recommend that you just stop having female friends, since quibbling over the scale of an obvious problem that you admit exists is a great way to lose friends while gaining nothing.

How about that whole 'guilty until proven innocent' thing regarding sexual abuse? Wanna bring up what the gently caress you're on about regarding that?

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

Somfin posted:

Why are you so angry about Tumblr seriously it's increasingly seeming like that is where you get 100% of your information from

And by information I mean you hate-read feminist troll tumblrs that are deliberately designed to piss off gamergaters and not reflective of genuine feminist thought

There's feminist "thought" and there's the folks running it on the ground. They blatantly contradict each other constantly as it suits the tribal mentality of the group. Because modern feminism is a mess.

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

new phone who dis posted:

There's feminist "thought" and there's the folks running it on the ground. They blatantly contradict each other constantly as it suits the tribal mentality of the group. Because modern feminism is a mess.

can you cite anything besides your own rear end?

e:double quote

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

Somfin posted:

If you're still interested in how to go about bringing this up, I recommend that you just stop having female friends, since quibbling over the scale of an obvious problem that you admit exists is a great way to lose friends while gaining nothing.

How about that whole 'guilty until proven innocent' thing regarding sexual abuse? Wanna bring up what the gently caress you're on about regarding that?

The Title IX demand for the creation of kangaroo courts at the university level run by activists and educators dictated a significantly lower standard of proof while denying the accused some or all of the resources that would normally be available to them. Because modern feminism.

Extreme0
Feb 28, 2013

I dance to the sweet tune of your failure so I'm never gonna stop fucking with you.

Continue to get confused and frustrated with me as I dance to your anger.

As I expect nothing more from ya you stupid runt!

Maybe you should spend less time on tumblr then.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

Nice scare quotes. It's really obvious that you only read the second part of that first sentence, and then use that to justify the rest of this post. You clearly do not actually engage with genuine feminist thought, and I'm increasingly certain that you don't even hate-read troll tumblrs. I'm guessing you just watch youtube videos of other guys who claim to have read troll blogs.

Now, because I'm a kind soul, here. You were talking about virtue signalling earlier. Watch this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sAmM872874A

E:

The Title IX demand for the creation of kangaroo courts at the university level run by activists and educators dictated a significantly lower standard of proof while denying the accused some or all of the resources that would normally be available to them. Because modern feminism.

Please cite one source actually calling for this.

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

yep, universities and colleges have a problem with false rape accusations, not sexual violence being swept under the rug

wow, bidya gaems broke your brain so hard

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

stone cold posted:

yep, universities and colleges have a problem with false rape accusations, not sexual violence being swept under the rug

wow, bidya gaems broke your brain so hard

They actually have a problem with both of these things and gross overreach by unqualified individuals to run kangaroo courts stripping the accused of their rights is absolutely not the answer anyone claiming to be a progressive should be supporting. But what does the tribe say?

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

They actually have a problem with both of these things and gross overreach by unqualified individuals to run kangaroo courts stripping the accused of their rights is absolutely not the answer anyone claiming to be a progressive should be supporting. But what does the tribe say?

Nice, uh, plagiarism.

https://www.change.org/p/accused-tell-the-ded-to-end-campus-kangaroo-courts

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

Somfin posted:

Nice scare quotes. It's really obvious that you only read the second part of that first sentence, and then use that to justify the rest of this post. You clearly do not actually engage with genuine feminist thought, and I'm increasingly certain that you don't even hate-read troll tumblrs. I'm guessing you just watch youtube videos of other guys who claim to have read troll blogs.

Now, because I'm a kind soul, here. You were talking about virtue signalling earlier. Watch this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sAmM872874A

E:

Please cite one source actually calling for this.

https://www.thefire.org/cases/u-s-d...ss-protections/

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

so either he's ripping off amergin's gimmick or got sick of writing his own insane fictions

Guys, the depiction of women in gaming is problematic and leads to perceptions of women that are sexist and damaging.

*Muffled yelps and moans from closet*

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Our review identified changes needed to be made and, in Stephen, we have a coach who has a reputation for demanding the highest standards.

Somfin posted:

I think I'll just take my chances, doesn't seem like either you or stone cold are interested in engaging in good faith discussion.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

Smorgasbord posted:

I think I'll just take my chances, doesn't seem like either you or stone cold are interested in engaging in good faith discussion.

"You bitches deserved to get raped by someone and if you think I did anything wrong you're just PMSing" is probably a bad approach by they by

E: If you actually do want to approach in good faith, I'll respond- I promise I will- but you have to understand that you're in the same thread as a guy who believes that American universities are about to set up private courts to be able to freely jail men for false rape claims

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

Smorgasbord posted:

Your numbers don't support my worldview!!!!! :qq:

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Our review identified changes needed to be made and, in Stephen, we have a coach who has a reputation for demanding the highest standards.

Somfin posted:

"You bitches deserved to get raped by someone and if you think I did anything wrong you're just PMSing" is probably a bad approach by they by

E: If you actually do want to approach in good faith, I'll respond- I promise I will- but you have to understand that you're in the same thread as a guy who believes that American universities are about to set up private courts to be able to freely jail men for false rape claims

Your initial reply tells me all I need to know about your willingness and/or ability to engage in good faith discussion about any of these issues.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

Somfin posted:

They already have them set up and are using them, the accused just don't go to jail. They have their entire lives ruined and rights stripped from them by unqualified hacks operating under the guise of progressive thought, but they don't go to jail.

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

Smorgasbord posted:

Your initial reply tells me all I need to know about your willingness and/or ability to engage in good faith discussion about any of these issues.

but enough about your posting

Extreme0
Feb 28, 2013

I dance to the sweet tune of your failure so I'm never gonna stop fucking with you.

Continue to get confused and frustrated with me as I dance to your anger.

As I expect nothing more from ya you stupid runt!

They already have them set up and are using them, the accused just don't go to jail.

Sources.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

Smorgasbord posted:

Given that you came in here asking how to bring up anti-feminist opinions among your feminist friends, I'd thought you'd have been a bit more confident.

Now I think you're just a fuckin' coward.

They already have them set up and are using them, the accused just don't go to jail. They have their entire lives ruined and rights stripped from them by unqualified hacks operating under the guise of progressive thought, but they don't go to jail.

Prove it.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

Somfin posted:

Given that you came in here asking how to bring up anti-feminist opinions among your feminist friends, I'd thought you'd have been a bit more confident.

Now I think you're just a fuckin' coward.

Prove it.

Read through all the parts of this.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/jessica-denis/title-ix-and-college-rape_b_10637346.html

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/jessica-denis/title-ix-and-college-rape_1_b_10722304.html

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/jessica-denis/title-ix-and-college-rape_3_b_11976002.html

new phone who dis fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Jan 29, 2017

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

quote:

One experienced attorney stated to me, “Title IX needs to be repealed in its entirety, because the Department of Education had twisted its reach far beyond its limited legislative intent. In the meantime, these due-process cases need to be pursued.”

This dumb lady constantly states "according to some" and cites all of 140 "cases."

Meanwhile, according to RAINN:

quote:

11.2% of all students experience rape or sexual assault through physical force, violence, or incapacitation (among all graduate and undergraduate students).2
Among graduate and professional students, 8.8% of females and 2.2% of males experience rape or sexual assault through physical force, violence, or incapacitation.2
Among undergraduate students, 23.1% of females and 5.4% of males experience rape or sexual assault through physical force, violence, or incapacitation.2
4.2% of students have experienced stalking since entering college.2

sorry bidya gaems broke ur brain :rip:

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

You haven't watched that video I sent.

And yeah, as noted above, this is overfocusing on a tiny minority of cases. 140 total. In the history of Title IX. Which has been around since 1972.

Oh, my bad, Jessica Denis has "heard numbers between 150 to well over 300 cases like these." Which is obviously a misspelling as she meant to write 'hard numbers' because otherwise she's just reporting vague hearsay. Clearly a great writer either way.

Holy hell your writer-saviour is a loving STDH fountain. http://www.liftable.com/jessicadenis/mom-in-coma-for-21-days-but-when-she-wakes-up-tells-family-where-she-really-was-whole-time/

Somfin fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Jan 29, 2017

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

Somfin posted:

And yeah, as noted above, this is overfocusing on a tiny minority of cases. 140 total. In the history of Title IX. Which has been around since 1972.

Oh, my bad, Jessica Denis has "heard numbers between 150 to well over 300 cases like these." Which is obviously a misspelling as she meant to write 'hard numbers' because otherwise she's just reporting vague hearsay. Clearly a great writer either way.

Holy hell your writer-saviour is a loving STDH fountain. http://www.liftable.com/jessicadenis/mom-in-coma-for-21-days-but-when-she-wakes-up-tells-family-where-she-really-was-whole-time/

Like I said, anybody who writes stuff with "some have said," "a lawyer," "many say," is a. writing at a junior high level and b. making poo poo up wholesale.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

Somfin posted:

This specific policy went into action after prompting from the gvernment in 2011.

https://www2.ed.gov/about/offices/list/ocr/letters/colleague-201104.html

It's a disgrace and if you read the details of how these things are handled and the ridiculous amount of guilt assumed it's insane. At least two of those people noted in those stories weren't even accused by the person they slept with, who corroborated the sex was not rape and THEY WERE PUNISHED ANYWAY.

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

This specific policy went into action after prompting from the gvernment in 2011.

It's a disgrace and if you read the details of how these things are handled and the ridiculous amount of guilt assumed it's insane. At least two of those people noted in those stories weren't even accused by the person they slept with, who corroborated the sex was not rape and THEY WERE PUNISHED ANYWAY.

nobody innocent ever gets punished

are you consistent in this, do you support the innocence project, BLM?

are you anti-death penalty?

are you gonna ignore the numbers of the percentage, not pure number (140) of sexual violence versus these cases?

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

how do you feel about rape victims, new phone who dis?

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

stone cold posted:

nobody innocent ever gets punished

are you consistent in this, do you support the innocence project, BLM?

are you anti-death penalty?

are you gonna ignore the numbers of the percentage, not pure number (140) of sexual violence versus these cases?

This is a straight-up right wing talking point.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

So... 28 a year, assuming that we're using the most likely statistic from your writer. That's grand total across the entire country.

That's less than the number of rapes per year at Harvard.

E: And just because you don't understand things that aren't clearly spelled out to you, this is an example of you overfocusing on a small slice of an issue. Watch that video I posted. Seriously.

Or, y'know, read anything.

Somfin fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Jan 29, 2017

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

Somfin posted:

So... 28 a year, assuming that we're using the most likely statistic from your writer. That's grand total across the entire country.

How many just took the hit because they couldn't afford to fight? How many are too embarrassed to talk about it? Even comparing stats, the fact that something this Kafkaesque is going on at all and supposed progressives hand wave it away is disgusting.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

Somfin posted:

E: And just because you don't understand things that aren't clearly spelled out to you, this is an example of you overfocusing on a small slice of an issue. Watch that video I posted. Seriously.

Or, y'know, read anything.

This is not a small slice of an issue. This is the government stomping on innocent peoples lives because feminist dogma demands it.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

How many just took the hit because they couldn't afford to fight? How many are too embarrassed to talk about it? Even comparing stats, the fact that something this Kafkaesque is going on at all and supposed progressives hand wave it away is disgusting.

Because your writer is a wonderful person she doesn't define what the 140 mean. But it's clear that this is the number of cases of lives being noticeably impacted by a false claim.

28 per year, across the entire country. Problem? Yes. Is the solution to stop campuses from being fast to act to protect potential rape victims? Is that what you're asserting?

This is not a small slice of an issue. This is the government stomping on innocent peoples lives because feminist dogma demands it.

This is a small slice of the issue of 'rape is a big problem.' You're trying to say that 'not-rape that might have affected up to 28 people per year is as big a problem as completed rape, which affects an underreported 65,000 people per year.' The numbers just do not add up.

So, do you think that universities should be slower to react to problems? Or do you think that a maximum of 28 is a larger number than a minimum of 65,000?

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

Somfin posted:

Because your writer is a wonderful person she doesn't define what the 140 mean. But it's clear that this is the number of cases of lives being noticeably impacted by a false claim.

28 per year, across the entire country. Problem? Yes. Is the solution to stop campuses from being fast to act to protect potential rape victims? Is that what you're asserting?

This is a small slice of the issue of 'rape is a big problem.' You're trying to say that 'not-rape that might have affected up to 28 people per year is as big a problem as completed rape, which affects an underreported 65,000 people per year.' The numbers just do not add up.

So, do you think that universities should be slower to react to problems? Or do you think that a maximum of 28 is a larger number than a minimum of 65,000?

These are dumb equivalencies cooked up to cover for the fact that the response to this is, in typical modern feminist fashion, simply more tribalism. You asked for proof, you got it, now you're making some argument I didn't about how I don't care enough about helping rape victims. You know who was staunchly anti-rape? The people who loving lynched black men for the crime. What does it feel like to be part of the modern analogue for that group?

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

These are dumb equivalencies cooked up to cover for the fact that the response to this is, in typical modern feminist fashion, simply more tribalism. You asked for proof, you got it, now you're making some argument I didn't about how I don't care enough about helping rape victims. You know who was staunchly anti-rape? The people who loving lynched black men for the crime. What does it feel like to be part of the modern analogue for that group?

Stone Cold! Stone Cold! I got a bingo! I got a full fuckin' bingo! "Feminists are the new KKK" AND "The KKK really just cared about protecting women from black men" in one post. Fan fuckin' tastic.

You're overfocusing on a minor aspect of an issue. The issue is rape. You're focusing on how a vanishingly small number of men are affected by false/mistaken accusations of it, rather than the larger issue of, I dunno, 65,000 rapes happening to women between the ages of 18 and 24 every loving year. That's not counting how many women are told not to report what happened to them, or how many are pressured into it, or how many believe that spousal rape isn't a real issue because people like you tell them that marriages are rape-free zones and any sexual activity that happens in them is 100% legal.

But please, tell us who our equivalent of a grand cyclops is, oh stauch defender of the righteous KKK. Is it someone from Tumblr? I'm guessing it's someone from Tumblr.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound
Here's another great example of modern feminism eating one of their own under the guise of Title IX.

http://laurakipnis.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/My-Title-IX-Inquisition-The-Chronicle-Review-.pdf

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

Here's another great example of modern feminism eating one of their own under the guise of Title IX.

http://laurakipnis.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/My-Title-IX-Inquisition-The-Chronicle-Review-.pdf

You still haven't watched that video I posted.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
OKAY title ix is complicated!

title ix requires that federally funded schools provide equal opportunity regardless of sex and sexuality. discrimination by willful negligence is a violation, and that letting sexual assault run without addressing it is willful negligence.

schools have fairly broad discretion to punish or expel misbehaving students. nobody expects a jury trial when you expel a student for, say, plagiarism or failing all of their classes.

i don't really know the timeline of how this changed through rulings, but title ix came to be construed to require schools to prevent sexual harassment and sexual assault. the tool they had to do that was their arbitrary discipline apparatus. schools are struggling to create a situation where they administer justice in a reasonable, transparent way.

mras have latched on to this with their usual lack of perspective about academic justice and sexual justice, but they are latching onto a tiny piece of a much larger real problem - a problem that often breaks down with universities attempting to use arbitration to cover up sexual assault. mras are working the ref but that doesn't mean there aren't problems.

Cease to Hope fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Jan 29, 2017

foolish_fool
Jul 22, 2010

Smorgasbord posted:

Sorry, I should have been more specific - I dispute the scale of the gender gap stated by mainstream media and feminists based on the ONS figures here: https://www.ons.gov.uk/employmentan...pay-differences

It is inevitably positioned as an outright gap of 20-30% when all factors are controlled for other than gender which is patently untrue. I wish there was more thought and analysis put into properly controlling for all contributing factors so we can identify the real gap and have a proper discussion about what can be done. The starting point for that to me is an honest discussion about what the stats mean (that at an aggregate level men do earn 20-30% more than females, but this does not mean that women are paid less for the same performance in the same role by 20-30%). This allows for a much more valuable discussion about the choices made by men and women around employment and any improvements we can make to balance up family commitments , but it's difficult to get there because of the statistical misrepresentation put forward in the media and popular feminism.

Basically I'm looking for a way to get around the dishonest use of the statistics to push an agenda, and get down to the actual core reasons for the difference. I am completely willing to accept that there likely is a gender bias in there at some level but I think we can all agree it's not 20-30% in the same job.

edit: apparently we can't all agree on that

I think that the first step is to think about how you are assigning motive to things. If you start with the assumption that evil femminists are dishonestly trying to push an agenda, then that is where you are going to end. But if you can conceive that maybe people are actually acting in good faith, you might get somewhere. The gaps you see in headlines aren't dishonest, they are starting points into an incredibly complex discussion (or even without the discussion, you want to get people thinking). "I wish there was more thought into proper analysis" is along the same lines, it assumes that the people doing this are lazy or incompetent or something whereas maybe its just insanely hard / they did what was possible given their expertise and the data. And then if you go into an actual discussion from the starting point of trying to refute the evil "statistical misrepresentations", obviously people are going to be defensive / respond in equally bad faith (as has been the result in this thread). Whereas if you are willing to actually accept things as useful data points as pieces of a puzzle, and actively want to make the world a better place for everyone, then you can more productively think about/discuss how we fix problems or even better collect/analyse/market information, etc..

Aside:
If you try to take your hardcore science etc study and get someone to write a news article about it, the journalist inevitably tries to get from you the key messages, the big ticket things that are going to get people reading the article. And an easy to understand overarching statistic is like that. This process can be pretty frustrating for all parties involved because you know the thing you've done and how excited you are about the details but they don't know anything about your expert thing but they know what people actually want to read (which probably isn't your statistical methodology). The result can often be a bit worrying as the non-journalist. But one thing I was once told is that you probably want to think of media type stuff and science type stuff differently, they have very different goals and styles.

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

Somfin posted:

Stone Cold! Stone Cold! I got a bingo! I got a full fuckin' bingo! "Feminists are the new KKK" AND "The KKK really just cared about protecting women from black men" in one post. Fan fuckin' tastic.

You're overfocusing on a minor aspect of an issue. The issue is rape. You're focusing on how a vanishingly small number of men are affected by false/mistaken accusations of it, rather than the larger issue of, I dunno, 65,000 rapes happening to women between the ages of 18 and 24 every loving year. That's not counting how many women are told not to report what happened to them, or how many are pressured into it, or how many believe that spousal rape isn't a real issue because people like you tell them that marriages are rape-free zones and any sexual activity that happens in them is 100% legal.

But please, tell us who our equivalent of a grand cyclops is, oh stauch defender of the righteous KKK. Is it someone from Tumblr? I'm guessing it's someone from Tumblr.

:krakentoot:

I didn't think gamergators like new phone who dis existed, but gosh was I wrong.

Didn't you know that the real victims of rape are rapists, somfin? :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

Cease to Hope posted:

OKAY title ix is complicated!

title ix requires that federally funded schools provide equal opportunity regardless of sex and sexuality. discrimination by willful negligence is a violation, and that letting sexual assault run without addressing it is willful negligence.

schools have fairly broad discretion to punish or expel misbehaving students. nobody expects a jury trial when you expel a student for, say, plagiarism or failing all of their classes.

i don't really know the timeline of how this changed through rulings, but title ix came to be construed to require schools to prevent sexual harassment and sexual assault. the tool they had to do that was their arbitrary discipline apparatus. schools are struggling to create a situation where they administer justice in a reasonable, transparent way.

mras have latched on to this with their usual lack of perspective about academic justice and sexual justice, but they are latching onto a tiny piece of a much larger real problem - a problem that often breaks down with universities attempting to use arbitration to cover up sexual assault. mras are working the ref but that doesn't mean there aren't problems.

In 2011 the government specifically and illegally instructed colleges to take up the mantle of judge and jury on student's lives using a much lower standard of proof and stripping the accused of the rights they would normally have. We are now in the full-on disaster phase of this instruction, where even most feminist professors admit it's a completely failed and unfair system. Unfortunately, the tribe of modern feminism disagrees even with the professors who are the source of their own ideology and continues to defend this type of behavior with what amount to right-wing talking points and fear-mongering.

• Locked thread