Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MachuPikacchu
Oct 15, 2012

Sacre vert! Maman!

I submitted the most oddball stuff I could think of, so if at any point you think, "what the hell is this," it was probably me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poorlywrittennovel
Oct 9, 2012

I continue to apologize for nothing related to the music I may or may not submit.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

I have made the worst submissions and I regret nothing.

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

see, what you don't understand is he now has

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

A word to the wise: if you're new to Picross and you go to the nonogram site Artix linked, do yourself a favor and sort by size. The puzzles can become absolutely colossal and very little is more daunting to a new Picross player than the prospect of solving a 40x40 puzzle.

This is probably obvious as poo poo but it bears mentioning, since if you leave it unsorted you get some ridiculous-rear end puzzles!

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Yeah I just looked on that site for the first time and saw how big they considered the "small" puzzles. The biggest I found was around 140x160 and my jaw dropped.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
:getin:

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!

FPzero posted:

Yeah I just looked on that site for the first time and saw how big they considered the "small" puzzles. The biggest I found was around 140x160 and my jaw dropped.

that's some powerful picross

i accidentally found a 30x30 puzzle my first time, and well that did not go well at all

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Update 2: A Step Up

Since this is the first homework puzzle I'm going to go over it in explicit detail just to make sure everyone's on the same page. Future puzzles won't get quite this much write up, if for no other reason than we would be here for hours if I documented every move I made.

First step is to hit all the complete rows. The 10's and 6/3's are pretty obvious, but if you count it out 1/2/1/1/1 is also a full row.

Next, we're going to use all these border rows to fill in some more info. The puzzle is surprisingly close to being finished here, but we're going to have to work at those last few squares.

The 2/2 fills itself in perfectly, which means that square on the far left can't be correct. From here though, we need to employ some picross strats.

This blue square that I've highlighted is a valid answer for the 2 in that row, but let's have a closer look. If we check the column, it's specifically looking for a 2 and a 1, and we've got two opens spaces there. However, if we put the 2 there, it runs into the row that's already in place. And at that point, you don't have a 2 anymore, you have a 3! So that blue square must be wrong.

With that top square removed, the 2/1 fits into the four remaining squares perfectly. From there, we just repeat the same logic on the other side.

And there's your sword and shield!

Now let's try something a little more challenging. There are no complete rows in this puzzle, so you'll have to make use of more "negative" reasoning ("okay it can't be here...") this time around. Don't be afraid to ask if you get stuck!

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010

Artix posted:

Now let's try something a little more challenging. There are no complete rows in this puzzle, so you'll have to make use of more "negative" reasoning ("okay it can't be here...") this time around. Don't be afraid to ask if you get stuck!

Yup, not having Max rows or 0 rows makes things a lot harder. Either way, I think I solved it and this picross looks rather familiar...

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

If anything, I hope that this LP ends up teaching me some valuable Picross tricks. Working out where to start without complete rows has always been a major weakness of mine, but I managed to work out the homework.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

The only hard thing about this puzzle was doing it all in photoshop by copying and pasting individual squares. :colbert:

(yeah that's probably a real dumb way of doing it)

https://superethicalcom.ipage.com/Other/picross02.png

Fake edit: wait why didn't I just use the fill tool I'm an idiot :negative:

SpruceZeus
Aug 13, 2011

Here's the homework.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Homework!

My pro-tip for this one is that since none of the cover the full row one way or the other, look for one that goes for more than half a row. From there, you can count out which squares must be used for it and that helps narrow down other rows just as a matter of course.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
I was late for class, so I didn't do Homework 1. But here's current homework!

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry
Did mine in Excel for macOS.

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

Chew on that... you overgrown son of a bitch.

I can't believe FPzero thinks that the Loch Ness monster is the same thing as a dinosaur.

Albis09
Apr 30, 2013

Dead yeti-gain
Damnit Artix, I've spent most of the week doing Picross on that website and on my 3DS. What have you done with my life?

Here's my Homework for the week.

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

More homework for the homework gods.

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

Made sure to do our homework before bed.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

My life has been ruined by Picross. Might as well do my homework.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

Homework!

Picross DS was the only video game I could play after I had surgery on my hand, so I spent quite a bit of time playing it. Back into the rabbit hole with me!

Flapjack Monty
Oct 28, 2013

Second assignment!

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
My second homework assignment.

I've been doing these puzzles with LPs on in the background for a while now, so this is somehow fitting.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

I was stumped only a few squares in for a little, but one breakthrough was all I needed to get it done.

Aithon
Jan 3, 2014

Every puzzle has an answer.
I did the thing. Green for positive and blue for negative seem to work pretty well instinctively if you're at all used to maps.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
Might as well. I use dots when I'm filling these up on paper anyway so using a drawing tablet is pretty useful for me here.

Leylite
Nov 5, 2011
Alright, just added some more music to the Big Pile Of Music. Looking forward to see where else this glorious LP goes.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
If you hate what you're listening to, assume it was me, friends.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Homework!

Picross is great.

General Revil
Sep 30, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Late to start, here's homework 2.

If you're interested, I'd like to propose a challenge. Blue player is only allowed to look at row clues. Red player is only allowed to look at column clues. See how that changes your ability to solve the puzzles.

Carlioo
Dec 26, 2012

:krakentoot:
Did my homework as well. Also damnit guys, you got me back into playing picross again :argh:

I actually picked up Picross 3D, which is also pretty good if you like an extended challenge, although having to navigate a 3D work-space can get pretty confusing. Thankfully you don't seem to be penalized for taking hints, so at least the devs knew what they were doing.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Truly, Picross is the Go of Sudoku.

SpruceZeus
Aug 13, 2011

picross 3d is godlike. i love it so much, especially the second game. the little tweaks they made to make it work well in a 3d environment also serve to give it its own slightly unique brand of logic compared to the 2d games which really helps to make it good in its own right instead of just more of the same. i mean it's very definitely still picross. it's just... a pretty neat variant, kind of like mega picross.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Here's my homework:

http://i.imgur.com/dw1F5VU.png

I haven't done picross beyond any of the two puzzles you handed out but the first one was pretty easy due to full rows and columns being filled out. This one I started by looking at general patterns. 6,1 row was the obvious stand out and with the first six columns having large blocks of numbers as opposed to the weird last columns having only 1's, I figured there was a solid chance the 6 row would be lined up with them and worked from there.

Also, this LP has been tons of fun so far, not what I expected from fill in the blocks puzzle game.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
What a nice little thread and what a nice little challenging homework assignment.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Update 3: Picross is the Dark Souls of Puzzle Games

This homework puzzle is a bit more difficult! There's no complete rows to start with, so we'll go for the next best thing and tackle the largest rows we can. Both the 6/1 and the 4/3 add up to an 8, but the 6/1 will give us more to work with so we'll start there.

We don't know where the 1 is, but we know it has to come after the 6, so we'll assume it's on the far right to allow for the maximum possible variance on where the 6 can be. Even in this "worst case scenario", we still have 8 spots for 6 squares, so we can definitely fill in the middle four. As a general rule of thumb, if you have a group that's X squares long, you can get at least 1 square out of it if it's in a space that is less than 2X blocks wide.

We can do a similar process with the 4/3, and after a few small points of cleanup, this is our "starting" grid. From here, we sort of hit a domino effect. There's only ever one or two valid moves at any time, but each of those moves will open up another one, which will open up another one, etc. Let me show you what I mean.

Obviously the 5 on the right can't go into the bottom half, so it has to go up. But once we do that, there are two squares separating the black ones in the 1/3 row (highlighted in blue). There could theoretically be a 1 we don't know about in the far left column, but the two black squares aren't close enough to make the 3 we need to finish the row, so the first black square must be the 1.

But wait! Once we do that, we cut the first 5 column short, which means we can extend that down to meet up with the 2 that's already there. And once we do that, the block to the left of the 2 must be an X, which means the 4 for the 1/4 column must be in the middle because it's the only place it'll fit, etc, etc, etc. Sometimes it can be tough to find that one clue that sets off the chain reaction, but as soon you do, the whole puzzle just falls apart.

All said and done, it's a very nice rooster.

Time to step up to a larger puzzle! The numbers will be a little bit bigger, but the rules and techniques remain the same. No complete rows in this one either, so make sure to use the stuff we discussed in the last puzzle!

Artix fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Feb 3, 2017

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010
:confuoot: This homework was weird looking.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Yeah I agree.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Hey, now, every picross is beautiful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Double May Care
Mar 28, 2012

We need Dragon-type Pokemon to help us prepare our food before we cook it. We're not sure why!

I solved the last two weeks on napkins at work because I'd never caught them while at the computer.

Anyway, homework.

E: (Thank/gently caress) you for getting me back into this addicting game.

Double May Care fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Feb 3, 2017

• Locked thread