Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Festival with your real* little sister!
Homework looked nice this time around. Here you go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flapjack Monty
Oct 28, 2013

Assignment complete.

I should really switch to using a different fill color instead of crosses.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Yapping Eevee posted:

Especially since the regular version is my ringtone. :downs:

What, not the actual ringtone version? Whoever submitted that does have good taste but sorta missed the point, that was chill enough to maybe actually be fitting for puzzle-solving. :v:

For reference, the pause menu from top to bottom is "Give Up", "Save", "BGM" (obviously), "Stereo" and "Hint".

Did my homework. Baaaaa.

E: And FP had it, that shirt was "Rugby".

AlphaKretin fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Feb 13, 2017

Carlioo
Dec 26, 2012

:krakentoot:
A lot easier to tell what it was this time, so that's nice. Had to switch how to solve the puzzle this time since I couldn't find it on the website, so it's nice that I got some practice doing it completely free of help this time.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Way easier than the last one in my opinion, still fun though.

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry
Solved.

Fine, you got m'goat.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
Feels kinda cheap to be given these huge blocks for free.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Homework. Just like before, the control key and clicking is so much more awkward than just moving your finger to the B button. :downs:

Guessing on your fills is a dangerous proposition, considering that you could expect picture symmetry (pretty common if your answer is something like a pair of glasses or a bottle or something) and then get completely thrown for a loop later on in the picture. That's more dangerous in the Nintendo games where getting things wrong incurs a penalty, though. It's still kind of a crutch you shouldn't depend on, either way.

Hell, the Rugby shirt is a good example of that - you've got symmetry down the middle all the way to the lower right corner, when all of a sudden you have a rugby ball out of nowhere.

KataraniSword fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Feb 13, 2017

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Honestly I'd say guessing is even more dangerous when you're playing without penalty because at least taking a penalty will tell you that you've made a mistake. Without that, you can easily find yourself in an unwinnable situation because of bad logic you made ten minutes ago. When that happens, trying to go back and figure out where you made the mistake is very difficult, and it's usually easier to just restart the puzzle.

Homework.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Homework!

Nothing to add to this one; just a nice and simple one to help ease folks into 15x15 size puzzles I suppose.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Got my homework in.

Felt good to actually recognize what it was this time.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
My homework as well!

This was a really nice puzzle to help ease into the 15x15s.

Also I will have you know that drawing with a gun is a time honored tradition.

As is poo poo-talking the person you're playing with. :v:

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Homework complete though I had one misclick and had to basically start over after that. I hate it when that happens.

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

This time there is not a doubt in our mind on what the Homework is. It's totally a ram.

General Revil
Sep 30, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Here's my homework. But the year of the ram ended a year ago!

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
Homework was actually a bit easier than the last, I thought. And not just because it was a lot clearer what it's supposed to be.

Paperio
Mar 1, 2012

CirclMastr posted:

Homework complete though I had one misclick and had to basically start over after that. I hate it when that happens.
You and me both.

I'm enjoying quizzing myself on these music choices as well. The first three were pretty quick to identify, (SM3DW, Phoenix Wright, Bayonetta) but the last one is?

SpruceZeus
Aug 13, 2011

this was a pretty fun one

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I'm enjoying these little puzzles, and the LP. Will start posting homeworks with the next one, now I have a better way of doing them. I think my personal favourite picross solutions are the inverted ones, where the unfilled spaces make the picture, because while it does make things a bit easy, the final picture is really pretty. Also because I'm a madman I may start going through those nonograms on the website in numerical order, because I'm kinda decent at them and like having a mixture of sizes.

BioEnchanted fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Feb 15, 2017

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
Ahhhh, pic-a-puz is amazing stuff. I first got into these over a decade when Conceptis was releasing a few free puzzles each week of all of their puzzle types. I think they're still doing so, and they are the only people who release actually difficult puzzles that are >40 rows/columns as well as one of the only ones to have color puzzles. I love the 100x100 ones even if they are maybe a bit too large to solved without having a 4k monitor or something. Thier other puzzle types are fun as well. Ones kinda like minesweepers where you have a grid with numbers on it, and the numbers correspond to the number of squares in the 9 squares centered on the number that are filled in. Another is where the numbers that correspond to the number of boxes in an uninterrupted line between two of the same number.

Someone made a free program back then to interface with the Conceptis free puzzle releases (which they stopped doing many years ago) and is mostly feature complete to display all of the puzzle types that were released back then. I haven't actually used it much recently, but I think there are some compatibility issues with more recent windows version, so you might need to run it in an xp vm if compatibility modes don't work. Still, I have quite a collection of puzzles, and of many different sizes from the simple 10x10 all the way up to like 120+ in both color and b&w. It also can solve most of the puzzles and theres an option to help you out to start with by filling in the simple overlaps (For each number n in an arbitrary row or column r the number of boxes that are 100% certain can be calculated from: x = n*2 - ([size of r] - [sum of all other numbers and spaces]). The boxes are the last x boxes of that number going from either direction.)

I can post what I have (picpuz plus a ton of puzzles and the solutions I've tried) if anyone is interested in trying it out. THe guy who made it stopped working on it long ago afaik, and it was and always has been completely free.

e: It complains that 'comctl32.ocx' is missing

Watermelon Daiquiri fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Feb 17, 2017

MaskedHuzzah
Mar 26, 2009

Come now! Look me in the eye and tell me - isn't this the face of a guy you can trust?
Lipstick Apathy
I think the image animation/quality is linked to amount of time taken/number of mistakes? I want to say that if you tank it super hard, you don't even get color, but that could be me misremembering it.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Part 5: A Preview of War Crimes

Looks like everyone handled the first 15x15 pretty well, but I suppose it was a gimme with all those big numbers in the middle.

A quick sweep through starts you with this. There's a few other things that could be cleaned up, but they're pretty inconsequential so let's just cut to the chase. Thanks to that big chunk of 4's in the middle, the 3/4 row has to be split up in such a way that the 4 is on the far right, and 3 column on the far left means the 12 swings that way too.

That more or less puts the entire bottom-right corner in place. Still not sure on that 5 yet, but we can make some educated guesses about that. You never want to act on guesses, but in some situations, it can help to have a vague idea of what you're looking for, if only to give you a good tool for saying "Wait, this is way out of line, is this right?"

As for the puzzle, the 7 column is now blocked off so that it has to go up, and that means we get most of the 9 with it. Once the top half is done, it's just a matter of quickly cleaning up some stray 1's.

Once nice thing about the larger puzzles is that it's much easier to tell what the hell things actually are, since they have more pixels to work with. Maybe this ram isn't the best example of that, but the next one sure is!

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

Yet another homework I ended up liking.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Homework! This was a pretty fun one for sure. Not exactly difficult but the number of floating 1s require you to pay some attention at least.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Got my homework done.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Mine's done too!

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Good homework.

Ramos fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Feb 24, 2017

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
I want to believe this is correctly solved.

e: You youngsters wouldn't recognize a discman if it hit you in the head. :arghfist::corsair:

frankenfreak fucked around with this message at 09:40 on Feb 23, 2017

Noelor
Oct 5, 2009

Thanks for getting me hooked on these puzzles. I'm just starting to do the mega picrosses in Poké-cross and they are breaking my brain a bit.

Here's my first homework done on my pc instead of pencil + paper.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

By the way, me and my mum played a downloadable puzzle pack of the now-defunct website playtsunami.com (The official books used to be called Tsunami, but when the Tsunami hit Japan they changed it to Hanjie), and one of the puzzles was really cool even if some parts were easy. Picross 3D ended up borrowing the idea - a few small puzzles that when solved all fill in a panel on a much larger puzzle. Also the precursor to normal mode on Paint it Back which works the same way, but these puzzles segments from the website were each 15x15 in size so it was massive.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Oh my god, I love picross, how did I not see this LP before now? The idea of co-op picross seemed crazy but I'm really enjoying watching you guys fight each other.

By the by, if you want to get a picross fix on Steam, there's Pictopix -- a perfectly serviceable Picross game with workshop support, which is pretty rad. It doesn't do the greying out of finished columns on its hardest difficulty, though, which is annoying. :argh: Other than that, though, it's great!

Homework! This is actually my first time doing Picross in not-a-game. It was a lot harder than I expected it to be.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
Turning in my homework for the week.

Flapjack Monty
Oct 28, 2013

Assignment complete. Didn't even need crosses for this one.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

This was a fun one.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.

MaskedHuzzah posted:

I think the image animation/quality is linked to amount of time taken/number of mistakes? I want to say that if you tank it super hard, you don't even get color, but that could be me misremembering it.

Huh? Were you replying to me? By color I meant that there were anywhere from 2-6 different colors on the board that you had to take into account. Like for a particular row it'd be, say, 31 10 5 2, and each one (31, 10, 5, or 2) could be any one of those 2-6 colors. This is an example:

I like these color ones since you can get a higher level of detail in the smaller puzzles, plus its more difficult.

Pictopix and Paint It Back are great, I just wish they had a higher puzzle resolution. Pictopix can be frustrating though since it penalizes you for every error you make. I mostly play it with a touchpad, so every time I just barely touch my second finger down slightly slower than the first or it just doesn't register as a right click, I get penalized, no matter how quickly I unmark it. While I could attempt every puzzle without using those marks, it takes a lot longer. Also, the max puzzle size seems to only be 40x40

Watermelon Daiquiri fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Feb 23, 2017

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Homework.

someone awful. posted:

By the by, if you want to get a picross fix on Steam, there's Pictopix -- a perfectly serviceable Picross game with workshop support, which is pretty rad. It doesn't do the greying out of finished columns on its hardest difficulty, though, which is annoying. :argh: Other than that, though, it's great!

There's also Paint It Back, though that one has some pretty significant caveats for newer players - most notably that it uses really wonky grid sizes. (poo poo like 48x16, 30x12, stuff that doesn't conform to the normal "5x5 grid arrangements" setup). Also I'm not sure if it has Workshop support yet.

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

I like these color ones since you can get a higher level of detail in the smaller puzzles, plus its more difficult.

I haven't seen any on Steam, but I know DS had Color Cross; I think a sequel came out as DSi Ware, too.

EDIT: Also, thank god I'm not the only one that hates Mega Picross. You start mashing rows/columns together and you can't be sure of anything.

KataraniSword fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Feb 23, 2017

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
It does, and you can change the settings so it keeps a rigid 5x5 grid or it modifies the grid to be congruent with the total size. I bet color cross is only like max 15 or 20 like the picross games on the 3ds lol Dsi games can be played on the 3ds right?

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

It does, and you can change the settings so it keeps a rigid 5x5 grid or it modifies the grid to be congruent with the total size. I bet color cross is only like max 15 or 20 like the picross games on the 3ds lol Dsi games can be played on the 3ds right?

Not all DSiWare games are on the 3DS eShop, and I think Animal Color Cross was one of them that didn't make the transition. Color Cross is available as a cart, though, so you can definitely play it on the 3DS. I think Color Cross at least only got to 20x20, which makes me wonder if it's a tech limitation - you don't see bigger than 20 in any one direction outside of the SNES Super Picross.

And yeah, you can change the underlying grid in Paint It Back, but that still means you have a weird remainder dangling off the end, which can screw up your mental counting.

MaskedHuzzah
Mar 26, 2009

Come now! Look me in the eye and tell me - isn't this the face of a guy you can trust?
Lipstick Apathy

Huh? Were you replying to me? By color I meant that there were anywhere from 2-6 different colors on the board that you had to take into account. Like for a particular row it'd be, say, 31 10 5 2, and each one (31, 10, 5, or 2) could be any one of those 2-6 colors. This is an example:

No, I was talking about in Video 4 when they were commenting on how some of the pictures were animated and some were not. Sorry if I did not make that clear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Festival with your real* little sister!
Homework is in.

The color scheme I usually run with didn't work too well this time.

• Locked thread