Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

pentyne posted:

seems wildly naive

the point isn't "just let the racists have their little march" allowing it at all is a condemnation of society in general and not pushing back will just normalize it.

pacifism working is a lib fantasy and the only reason it worked for Civil rights was the cops couldn't get away with just murdering all the protestors once the spotlight was on them even though more then a few like Bull Connor absolutely would've tried.

yeah this is how the KKK became so strong in the South for a while, because when you show up in force and outnumber the police you are the de facto power. this was what the Charleston rally was all about and if brave people had not shown up to oppose them directly in various ways we'd probably have a pretty different America right now. I still feel like Richard Spencer getting punched was an especially big turning point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Flesh Forge posted:

yeah this is how the KKK became so strong in the South for a while, because when you show up in force and outnumber the police you are the de facto power. this was what the Charleston rally was all about and if brave people had not shown up to oppose them directly in various ways we'd probably have a pretty different America right now. I still feel like Richard Spencer getting punched was an especially big turning point.

I'm seen some pretty good quotes about the antifa/alt-right dynamic and get really loving mad when people blame antifa for this poo poo.

quote:

If the Proud Boys don't hold rallies or protest, antifia isn't going to burn down a McDonalds for fun, they're gonna be at home playing Pokemon Go.

The alt-right wants to platform ideas of violence and hatred against a huge class of people, and explicitly endorse violence and death against the marginalized and powerless. "Antifa" shows up to make sure they don't get allowed to do it unchallenged because the more people hear things like "it's okay to kill trans/gay people" the more likely they are to think it's not a big deal when it happens.

Pretty shocked to see someone posting in an alt-right thread in cspam the idea that the alt-right is just going to fizzle out in a few months after trump has gone. That bell is not getting unrung this is the modern face of klan rallies and its here to stay as long as the police, FBI, and DOJ will spend more time ID'ing black protestors on twitter to show up at their house and charge them for property damage.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Flesh Forge posted:

The KKK wasn't overpowering the police, they were the police. Their membership was filled with cops, from police leadership all the way down to grunts.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 242 days!

kitten emergency posted:

proud boys and the chud brigades have never been the sort of threat that a lot of libs gas them up as. as individualized threats, sure, but if antifa just stopped loving showing up or made sure there were no targets for them, then they'd get taken off the streets by cops or peter out. if a bunch of dumbass white dudes in polo shirts is a threat to democracy, then we should go shut down tailgating at SEC games, because that's where these morons came from and its where they'll go back to.

people are going to be incredibly surprised at how quickly "all of this" goes away without trump

ed: it won't actually go away, but it's going to change into another form, because we're not going to address the structural issues that lead to any of it happening.

if antifa stopped showing up, they'd start taking people out of their homes and shooting them instead

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

Cpt_Obvious posted:

The KKK wasn't overpowering the police, they were the police. Their membership was filled with cops, from police leadership all the way down to grunts.

yep, the KKK and the PB aren't really comparable at all (other than the PB playing at being a KKK-style org). theres not a lot of people who wield actual institutional power in the proud boys (like, for instance, judges or police commissioners/captains). they might personally be sympathetic to the overall goal of punching leftists, but the PB aren't localized or integrated into communities the way the klan was.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

Hodgepodge posted:

if antifa stopped showing up, they'd start taking people out of their homes and shooting them instead

i can't really argue a negative but i don't think there's any evidence that they would actually do this at all, especially given that there's been plenty of opportunities for alt-right militias to do exactly this and they haven't!

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 242 days!

kitten emergency posted:

i can't really argue a negative but i don't think there's any evidence that they would actually do this at all, especially given that there's been plenty of opportunities for alt-right militias to do exactly this and they haven't!

is a total lack of curiosity about the subject, let alone any actual importance to your life, supposed to be a lack of evidence?

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

kitten emergency posted:

somehow the idea of just passively letting a ton of angry white dudes show up in milsim cosplay with loaded rifles doesn''t seem like something we as a society should just roll our eye at just because they haven't started gunning people down yet.

oh wait

Surely that was a one off-
https://www.csis.org/analysis/escalating-terrorism-problem-united-states

pentyne has issued a correction as of 23:04 on Jan 2, 2021

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

like i posted earlier, i think the alt-right shitheads will metastasize into some other form of shithead-ness. they'll drop the explicit WN poo poo and get into 80s style greed is good hypercapitalism or something. none of these morons want to actually die or go to jail.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

kitten emergency posted:

like i posted earlier, i think the alt-right shitheads will metastasize into some other form of shithead-ness. they'll drop the explicit WN poo poo and get into 80s style greed is good hypercapitalism or something. none of these morons want to actually die or go to jail.

"we have nothing to fear about the nazi party, sure the crazies like Hitler and Goebbles won't stop talking about exterminating undesirables, but the vast majority aren't going to want to murder people in their homes and risk going to jail"

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

maybe i'm wrong, maybe you're wrong, who knows? the thing that PB lacks that the KKK had is actual ties to the community. the PB are, quite literally, rootless cosmopolitans of hate ferrying themselves around the country to cause problems. that's not really sustainable, especially when trump is gone to not act as a unifying ethos for them anymore.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 242 days!

kitten emergency posted:

i can understand wishful thinking, but this is the most positive post you're likely to get in reply to it

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

kitten emergency posted:

maybe i'm wrong, maybe you're wrong, who knows? the thing that PB lacks that the KKK had is actual ties to the community. the PB are, quite literally, rootless cosmopolitans of hate ferrying themselves around the country to cause problems. that's not really sustainable, especially when trump is gone to not act as a unifying ethos for them anymore.

literally jaq-ing off and arguing truth in the middle to defend complacency against a existing and proven threat to the rights and safety of any non-white non-cis person

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

Hodgepodge posted:

i can understand wishful thinking, but this is the most positive post you're likely to get in reply to it

i mean, i'm not just throwing poo poo against the wall, this is my conclusion based on what i've studied and what i've seen over the past four years. maybe i'm wrong, i'm not saying that i'm 100% confident about anything, but i think that it's more likely that the "alt right" turns into something unrecognizable from what it is today within the next four years or so and mostly drops the street fighting bullshit.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 242 days!

kitten emergency posted:

i mean, i'm not just throwing poo poo against the wall, this is my conclusion based on what i've studied and what i've seen over the past four years. maybe i'm wrong, i'm not saying that i'm 100% confident about anything, but i think that it's more likely that the "alt right" turns into something unrecognizable from what it is today within the next four years or so and mostly drops the street fighting bullshit.

okay. well, why would that happen? the street fights aren't happening because of a fad or something, and no one with the ability to change the things that have lead to them has any interest in making things different in the slightest.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

kitten emergency posted:

you're trying to do a "who can know what is really happening" defense is just idiotic. you said something really dumb, got called out on it, and now you're trying to post through it. you should really just take the L and stop

folks have put up some small evidence on this very thread page in response to you. there's a ton more out there available, but given this response, I expect you'll try the "like, can we ever know if right wing violence really is on the rise or if it's all just a vast left wing conspiracy and there's very good people on both sides" false equivocacy next

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

also lol at coming into CSPAM and saying that it's just antifa ruling up the far right and so they need to stand down

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

Hodgepodge posted:

okay. well, why would that happen? the street fights aren't happening because of a fad or something, and no one with the ability to change the things that have lead to them had any interest in making things different in the slightest.

they are happening because of a fad, though? trumpism requires you to be as loud and obnoxious as humanly possible. if you boil down the entire chud logic behind losing the election, its that they simply cannot hold it in their head that there are that many people that don't like him. the alt-right is, quite literally, a movement about virtue signaling. the best way to do that is to get in a big ball of your buddies and march around to own the libs and punch some people who disagree with you, because that's what you do. you're stronger than they are, you beat them up because they aren't as strong as you. that's the trump ethos.

so what happens with no trump? yeah, the underlying conditions that led to trump aren't going away, but for the most part 2018/2020 can be seen as a "middle class" repudiation of trumpism. there's no socially acceptable rock for them to cling to, so the only way they can persist is to find some new unifying purpose to rally around.

i mean, maybe i'm wrong (i've been wrong about plenty of poo poo) but there's been so many opportunities for widespread violence and all we see is a bunch of "you better be glad that my buddy's holding me back!!" drunk dude poo poo.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

Azathoth posted:

also lol at coming into CSPAM and saying that it's just antifa ruling up the far right and so they need to stand down

this isn't what i posted at all though

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

This is a loving bat-poo poo chart. For one thing, both ethnonationalist and religious terror should be filed under "right wing".

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

kitten emergency posted:

The reason there is a violent right wing going out and killing people is because there’s a critical mass of white men who can’t get what they feel entitled to and who feel threatened by the existence of women and black people while being subjected to the incredible anomie created by the internet. Whether they put on vests and pose with guns or use them to shoot their peers in the cafeteria, the dynamic is fed by causes that will only intensify. It might not always be explicitly militaristic fascists, but it will always be murderous white supremacists.

If covid hadn’t come along and closed their schools, more of them probably would have embraced the identity of school shooter, as seemed to have been taking place from 2018 on.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

kitten emergency posted:

your right you said the cops would stop them. so that was kind of a more charitable reading

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

kitten emergency posted:

they are happening because of a fad, though? trumpism requires you to be as loud and obnoxious as humanly possible. if you boil down the entire chud logic behind losing the election, its that they simply cannot hold it in their head that there are that many people that don't like him. the alt-right is, quite literally, a movement about virtue signaling. the best way to do that is to get in a big ball of your buddies and march around to own the libs and punch some people who disagree with you, because that's what you do. you're stronger than they are, you beat them up because they aren't as strong as you. that's the trump ethos.

so what happens with no trump? yeah, the underlying conditions that led to trump aren't going away, but for the most part 2018/2020 can be seen as a "middle class" repudiation of trumpism. there's no socially acceptable rock for them to cling to, so the only way they can persist is to find some new unifying purpose to rally around.

i mean, maybe i'm wrong (i've been wrong about plenty of poo poo) but there's been so many opportunities for widespread violence and all we see is a bunch of "you better be glad that my buddy's holding me back!!" drunk dude poo poo.

Chuds absolutely, 100% do not see it this way. The election was stolen, and Trump's only failing - if they even believe he has one - is that he was too weak and indecisive to just take by force the presidency that was rightfully his. It's the same quiet complaint they've had about him the entire time: "I wish he actually would lock up his enemies", "I wish he would just kill all those protestors" etc.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

CharlestheHammer posted:

your right you said the cops would stop them. so that was kind of a more charitable reading

the cops are already stopping them, that's what started this entire loving derail! the cops aren't on their side, they're on the side of "the system".

Random rear end in a top hat posted:

Chuds absolutely, 100% do not see it this way. The election was stolen, and Trump's only failing - if they even believe he has one - is that he was too weak and indecisive to just take by force the presidency that was rightfully his. It's the same quiet complaint they've had about him the entire time: "I wish he actually would lock up his enemies", "I wish he would just kill all those protestors" etc.

some of them, sure. some of that group will probably stew in their own poo poo and try to do some spree shootings or bombings. some of that group will maybe succeed.

most people, especially the leadership, will move on to the next grift.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 242 days!

kitten emergency posted:

wait, you think the protests, riots, etc are about trump?

i'm not sure where to begin because its always weird to meet someone holding a position you thought of as a straw man

e: i guess i'd say that having a leader in a position of authority made them bolder. apart from that, trump is no different from any other chud; he's just rode the wave as far as it can take him, he's only a leader insofar as he legitimizes what they want to say and do in the first place.

Hodgepodge has issued a correction as of 23:54 on Jan 2, 2021

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Cpt_Obvious posted:

you're right but that's not what I'm talking about. when 300 klansmen show up to demonstrate in a town with 3 cops it doesn't matter if the cops are members themselves or not.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

kitten emergency posted:

you're an idiot

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Flesh Forge posted:

you're right but that's not what I'm talking about. when 300 klansmen show up to demonstrate in a town with 3 cops it doesn't matter if the cops are members themselves or not.

Theoretically if the cops actually wanted to stop them, they can call reinforcements from neighboring towns and state authorities.

...unless those neighboring cops and state authorities are in the 300 klansman gathering.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

kitten emergency posted:

For about a week before Charlottesville, black people were attacked on the street in broad daylight and a synagogue was vandalized.

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://twitter.com/isaiah_bb/status/1345423587100876800

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

kitten emergency posted:

speaking of you, being an idiot, aka you're a huge dumbfuck

https://www.bigrapidsnews.com/local-news/article/No-6-Plot-to-kidnap-Whitmer-tops-local-crime-15832459.php

quote:

This photo combo shows from top left, Kaleb Franks, Brandon Caserta, Adam Dean Fox, and bottom left, Daniel Harris, Barry Croft, and Ty Garbin. A federal grand jury has charged six men with conspiring to kidnap Gov. Gretchen Whitmer in what investigators say was a plot by anti-government extremists angry over her policies to prevent spread of the coronavirus. An indictment released Dec. 17, 2020, by U.S. Attorney Andrew Birge levied the charge against Adam Dean Fox, Barry Gordon Croft Jr., Ty Gerard Garbin, Kaleb James Franks, Daniel Joseph Harris and Brandon Michael-Ray Caserta. (Kent County Sheriff via AP File)

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

kitten emergency posted:

lol yeah you said that the cops would, because you clearly believe that the cops are there to help and totally not just an outgrowth of the same reactionary poo poo. you don't think antifa is a positive, which again, just el oh loving el

you are a complete idiot who has no actual understanding of what is happening and yet you feel compelled to tell us how it really is. you really should gently caress off back to d&d or wherever it is that you crawled out of with those poo poo opinions

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Top middle looks like Markorepairs.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

cool, maybe you should read some details about that the entire thing like how they had literally 2 feds infiltrating their plot almost from the jump and only got popped because those feds encouraged them to escalate their plans

you're making my entire point for me - the cops actually aren't on these dumbfucks side, and they aren't actually doing anything!

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

lol you are legit dumb as poo poo

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

Azathoth posted:

lol yeah you said that the cops would, because you clearly believe that the cops are there to help and totally not just an outgrowth of the same reactionary poo poo. you don't think antifa is a positive, which again, just el oh loving el

you are a complete idiot who has no actual understanding of what is happening and yet you feel compelled to tell us how it really is. you really should gently caress off back to d&d or wherever it is that you crawled out of with those poo poo opinions

what point are you even trying to make here

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

kitten emergency posted:

what point are you even trying to make here

you are the dumbest motherfucker to wander into this thread in quite a while

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

Flesh Forge posted:

lol you are legit dumb as poo poo

yeah it's me, i'm the dumb one because i can do things like "read" and "have a memory of the past thirty years or so of american history"

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
openly siding with the cops isn’t going to go well in CSPAM but I encourage you to post through it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

Azathoth posted:

you are the dumbest motherfucker to wander into this thread in quite a while

turn your monitor on! lol