Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Weeping Wound posted:

what's Mencius Moldbug up to anyway

:words:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

This is still one of the best / worst things Milo has written

Digimon Fanboy posted:

Can you imagine how few accidents must happen on the roads in Riyadh? Pretty much the only thing Saudi Arabia gets right is forbidding women from driving, thereby avoiding the terrible hell known colloquially as “femsteering.”
Meanwhile, in the west, an insidious creeping threat to vehicular manhood has integrated itself into our daily lives while we weren’t looking. It snuck its way into every vehicle on the road, and it is in every single mobile phone on the market. I’m talking, of course, about GPS.

GPS challenges one of the few remaining areas of male excellence: navigation. Without ruling the roads, what do we have left? GPS stands for Global Positioning System, but it might as well be Geographic Patriarchy Smasher.Who could have guessed that the age of men would pass not with a bang, but with 24 satellites silently orbiting the earth?

Men have serious issues with GPS, starting with the dumbing-down of the roadways. Older drivers developed an instinctive understanding of the road through repeated travel. It was a tradition handed down from father to son for generations, since the Persians landed at an inconvenient Spartan pass due to Xerxes refusing to pull the fleet over somewhere to ask for directions.

We’ve lost that innate skill by staring at a little screen that tells us where to turn. Even experienced drivers using a GPS on a route they know experience anxiety when the pleasant little voice says, “Turn right in 200 feet.” This will no doubt be labeled PTSD by 2016, but for now we have named it the GPS jitters. Even men going their own way must now be dominated by a passive-aggressive bossy broad telling them where to turn, even though they totally were going to turn there anyway.

We’ve also been losing our sense of direction thanks to the damnable way GPS screens rotate as we travel. Asked what direction we are traveling, a young man will often say “up,” which used to be strictly the province of women and those London and New York City residents that have never driven a car in their lives. Reading a map has largely gone the same way: no one under 30 has a map in their car and, even if they did, they couldn’t read it without searching for a YouTube explainer video.

There’s a bigger problem with GPS while driving. GPS addicts tend to forget to turn their senses outside of the vehicle to do basic driving tasks… like avoiding killing themselves. This poor sod drove right off a closed bridge due to having his nose in his GPS. Here is a whole list of accidents caused by GPS and related mapping software. These stories may be amusing to you, but they should also be a stark lesson. Drivers are doing extremely stupid things because their GPS tells them to.

The next major problem with GPS usage is that it is emasculating, and not just politically with its endless entreaties to “turn left.” Married friends of mine report that navigation system usage is just another way for their wives to symbolically kick them in the groin. If the husband expresses any confusion about how to reach their destination, the woman will slyly say, “Shall I get out the GPS?”

This question actually means: “I believe your brother has a bigger penis than you and could better provide for our young during the long winter, and I’m going to leave you because you’re bad at finding things.” To the husband, this wife code is almost on a par with being cuckolded. Indeed, some men would rather watch their wives get banged by Mandingo than be reduced to asking a TomTom for help.

Many GPS systems also track speed, which results in wives chiding their husbands for even moderate violations of the speed limit. Previously, men were protected by the fact that the speedometer might as well display the speed in Chinese numerals for all the chance a woman would have at deciphering it from the passenger seat.

Even without a woman in the car, the GPS assaults our manhood. If we deviate even slightly from the course it chose for us, it starts nagging and whinging – in a calm female voice, of course – imploring us to do U-turns and increasingly bizarre manoeuvres to return to the original course. Now your wife and the computer lady are colluding. It’s like one of those shopping trips where she brings one of her terrible friends along everywhere to just agree with her, and you’re still not allowed to punch either of them.

A more reasonable approach would be for the drat thing to say, “You’ve left the course I chose for you, was that on purpose and should I remap to your desired route?” Honestly, we are at the point of HAL 9000 not wanting to open the pod bay doors: by 2020, your GPS won’t let you turn if it doesn’t want you to. Perhaps it will weigh you when you get in your car and not let you stop at McDonald’s either.

It isn’t only straight men who have problems with GPS. My gay buddies and I have to put up with passive-aggressive remarks such as, “Continue straight for 20 miles.” Honey, I will not continue straight anywhere, so why don’t you just check your map privilege? Also, based on my personal experience, if you type in, “Take me to Mandingo,” it will reply, “Destination not found.” Pathetic.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Montasque posted:

"Let me tell you about ethics in games journalism."

Well yeah, that's the bandwagon he jumped on despite never caring about games before.

E: Also is there a good summary of his fraudulent scholarship?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

So apparently Milo has re-announced his scholarship?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Plucky Brit posted:

I'm amazed that Americans are apparently fine with shutting down free speech for people with unsavoury views.
He doesn't just have unsavoury views, he bullies and harasses individuals and incites his followers to do the same. Standing up in front of an angry mob and saying "here is this person you should hate because of who she is" isn't really free speech.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Clapping in tweets is worse than fascism.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

The Kingfish posted:

Is it true that white people are more likely to be lactose tolerant?? I read this on 4chan.

White people are much less likely to be lactose intolerant.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

and i must meme posted:

What's the logic behind 'liberals/leftists are the real fascists', anyway?
Liberals want to control what people can say and think etc etc.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

breaklaw posted:

Inciting harassment? Link?
lol you post a bunch of words defending a guy but you can't even bother to do a google search

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Al-Saqr posted:

"HAHA JEWZ HAD TO CLAW AT WALLS FOR 20 MINUTES BEFORE GAS FINALLY KILLED THEM LOOOL RAPE BROFIST!!!"

What's the matter guys why can't you get my A+ joking skills? :(

https://twitter.com/nonstoptom/status/831991997585989632

3:00 in is where the real stuff happens, but the lead-up might help.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Milo seems pretty shook by this, at least judging by the flurry of poo poo he's posted to defend himself.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Dapper_Swindler posted:

interesting, link?
Things like this

and talking about all the times he's attacked / outed pedophiles, how people will believe anything about celebrities, and how he was just being edgy about when he was molested. It's kinda weird to see him somewhat on the defensive.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Thug Lessons posted:

So I guess the right managed to do in a month what the left couldn't in years of flipping out about this guy.

his recent increase in profile and (especially) CPAC talk was what really did it

some of this stuff has been floating around for a while; it's not that hard to find old videos where people attack / mock him for his pedopologia (eg from 2015), it's just it never reached critical mass

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Zikan posted:

so he's doubling down on the crazy fans who will stay with him forever

edit: maybe he'll go back to his root with videogames and start doing lps to fill the rapidly growing alt-right youtube video game personality void that pewdiepie discovered

Games aren't his roots, he hated them for years and only jumped on the gamergate bandwagon for the money

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

https://twitter.com/swearyanthony/status/868446542620798978
https://twitter.com/swearyanthony/status/868446787748585473

The entire loving thread.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

so the Mercers are the ones behind Milo now?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

A Pale Horse posted:

Its gonna be fun when the first extremely online generation starts running for office.

it's already happening

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

safely sodomized posted:

these posts rule though

yeah they do, except the one about maths

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

yeah, mpc is an offshoot

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

longstreet too, kinda, after the war

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

logikv9 posted:

so why does gavin always look like he's cosplaying a 1960s nasa engineer

he is a big fan of Operation Paperclip

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

El Pollo Blanco posted:

lol if anyone thinks modern US white nationalists have the attention span for 5 hour long operas in languages they don't understand

even most AfD voters probably don't

Rossini made the joke that Wagner has "good moments, but awful quarters of an hour!" over 150 years ago

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

snoremac posted:

I'm not gonna lie, I have not seen an OG Nazi in an ill-fitting suit.

Goering lost the battle of the bulge and there is plenty of photographic evidence

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

https://twitter.com/leslieleeiii/status/924457004281843713

Crowsbeak posted:

European food ranked

1. Italian
2. Russian
3. Poish
4. French
5. Spanish

53. Scottish
54. Welsh
55. Englsih

greek food is top tier as well

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Stalin's death is also inherently funny regardless of your sympathies. Dying of a stroke because you trained your bodyguard to never come into your office under any circumstances is funny.

Hence
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kPpXFnHoC-0

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

ocrumsprug posted:

He is also a believer in the power of autohypnosis and dedicated a chapter of one of his books to extolling the virtues of writing lines.

He thinks evolution is dumb because he is smart and didn't understand it immediately, and proposed a counterexample to existing theories of gravity based on the idea that everything was getting bigger

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

he also claimed to be supporting Clinton so people would leave him alone because Clinton fans are crazy

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Crane Fist posted:

The answer to "Why is Milo doing ______?" is either 'publicity stunt' or 'too much cocaine'

His PR flak sent around an unsolicited offer for Milo to be interviewed about Bannon leaving Breitbart so it's possible that "is loving desperate" is another (not mutually exclusive) option.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

aware of dog posted:

Peterson was on Dave Rubins show today with Ben Shapiro. Let's see how that went:
https://twitter.com/scruffopone/status/958812348680167426
yeah Peterson has this view that the ability to resort to violence needs to be just below the surface of social interactions

you can see it in his defence of Muntz, or in how he thinks the problem with "crazy women" is that men cannot fight them, or in that time he fantasised about being up a toddler

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Jose posted:

today is the first time i've learned of eli whitney so i googled him and lol at people being taught he was black

same

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Dreddout posted:

I'd imagine brutalism has the best ruin value (which is a supremely stupid idea that is a summation of the fascist death drive) of any modern architecture style. Good ol' concrete is gonna outlast any of the art deco/classical detailing.
ruin value isn't about lasting a long time, it's about looking good when it falls apart. It means not using things like steel reinforcing because bits of metal sticking out of the rocks look ugly

quote:

Picking whatever they think looks cool, rather than analysing what a specific building's style represents.
brutalism does exactly this, which is why you end up with residential blocks and schools looking like inhospitable prisons rather than places that people actually want to be in

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

rudatron posted:

albert speer's idea of ground breadking architecture was a a big fugly dome in central berlin, i wouldn't trust anything he has to say on architecture, nazi or not.
literally groundbreaking, given the small test of the Volkshalle they did sank far beyond what they'd planned for

it's pretty easy to go wrong with a concrete block, because it's ugly as hell and people don't like living in places that get used as filming locations for sci-fi dystopias

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

the difference between Benghazi and pizzagate/qanon is that the people trumpeting Benghazi really transparently knew it was bullshit and didn’t care, they wanted a cudgel to beat Hillary with

the qanon people are all true believers

also benghazi was a conspiracy theory about an actual event so you could claim you were just asking questions about her competence etc, whereas there's nothing to fall back on for the qanon cultists

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

lol "late stage" capitalism

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

yeah there are some big gaps in the musical, like his career between the war and secretary of treasury or why he had a falling out with madison

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Agean90 posted:

nah

the crusaders are best known for losing

They won against the Christians in Constantinople.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

pillsburysoldier posted:

So what's this "Jawbreakers" comic and why are conservatives up in arms about it?

fuckwits harass a bunch of people in the comics industry because they support diversity etc

fuckwits then decided to make their own comic

harassment continues and extends to store employees

publisher censors free speech by cancelling book