Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah what is even happening in that picture, and more importantly, why

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Milo seems to alternate between creepy and pathetic without ever really hitting the 'intimidating rear end in a top hat' aesthetic he's clearly trying to go for

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Karl Barks posted:

haha no college is gunna let milo speak there anymore
about time

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Him giving a speech at UC Berkeley also gives him attention, stop pretending that these guys get stronger when their face gets punched in, it doesn't

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Fascism thrives on a perception of strength and intimidation, if you're too scared to attack them then that gives them strength, if you rape their assholes then they don't look that scary anymore, and that 'aura of invincibility' disappears

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Stop tryimg to think you'll get fox news on your side, you won't, they're happy to distort any opposition as violent, you'll never convince them. You may as well actually smash fascist erryday, for all the good it will do for Fox news headlines. If violence serves an instrumental purpose in weakening fascism, then use violence. This protest did what it needed to do.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

The Kingfish posted:

ANTIFA needs to be extremely careful about who they bash. "Useful to Nazis" is entirely different from actual Nazis. This type of thing is what I was afraid of, we are hosed if the left starts thinking it's justified in busting up conservative meetings. They might be able to get away with it with Milo but this really can't become a trend or there is gonna be backlash that we won't have an answer to.
So I mean in some respects, yes, I'd say 80+% of the people who voted trump are not nazis, and should not be treated like Nazis.

But you cannot swear off political violence. Do not think for one second that Milo is a 'clown', he's someone who if ever given the opportunity to, will do absolutely unspeakable things. Literally the only reason he's not doing them right now, is because he can't. If you don't realize that, you're gonna find yourself debating the morality of political force in the democratic process, in your head, as you're being lead into gas chambers, and breathing in nerve gas.

Those are the stakes. History did not end, we are still living it, and you ignore history at your own peril. This isn't a joke, this isn't a game, this is real life.

That doesn't mean you act without strategy, or act without thinking, because that's going to lead to failures as well. There's an escalation process that has to be followed, you can't jump too far too fast. But you absolutely have to send a message to people like Milo, and that message must be "if you want a civil war, we're gonna fight, and we're gonna win".

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

call to action posted:

So what to do when Michael Moore or Nancy Pelosi is considered a shock jock to the assholes on the alt right?
they're gonna do that anyway

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Helsing posted:

You guys are acting like the American left has the organization, energy or institutional connections to actually suppress anything. From an outside perspective it looks more like an aggrieved person getting really drunk and then picking a bar fight they are unlikely to win.
Yeah, and I don't doubt FOX and friends aren't going to have a field with this, they're gonna squeeze it for all its worth.

Thing is, from an inside perspective, that drunk is gonna get knifed by the guy he's "picking" a fight with, the first chance the other guy gets.

There is no 'good' choice here.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
See what I mean? Their image of 'strength' has been shattered, and like a guy going through a mid life crisis that buys a ferrari, they have to restore it.

Antifa had to keep bashing their faces in.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Backing down now is out of the question, it has to be followed through.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Of course that's too far, as is any action against them that doesn't involve them doing something first - it has to be reactive, you need a casus belli.

You can debate whether shutting down the Berkeley talk itself was too far, I'm not personally convinced it was, but I won't dismiss objections entirely. It had a tradeoff associated with it.

But now that that's happened, that's it, the line is drawn. If Spencer and Co show up to Berkeley, and antifa is a no show, that's 100% going to be interpreted as 'weakness' on the side of antifa, and therefore 'strength' on the side of the fash. That's the case even if you think the original protest was an overreaction. Pragmatically, and strategically, antifa cannot back down.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
I can agree that smashing a starbucks doesn't really do anything. I mean I'm not a fan of their coffee, but it's not that bad. It's a nasty little habit they've gotten into. But I don't run the show, so can't make them stop, and I'm not going to condemn them outright, because they're too useful to have around. It'll be good to have passionate people when the pepe brigade starts marching in the streets lynching muslims, which consisting how things have gone so far, should be occurring in about a couple of months.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Liberals love to condescend to the left, because the left challenges their self image in the way the right doesn't.

Liberals love to see themselves as the most moral people to ever exist, they love to pretend they are performing incredible sacrifices over the most minor bullshit. The left challenges this, and exposes their hypocrisy. So any opportunity they get to tut-tut, they naturally take.

But they've never been victimized by people like Milo or their supporters, they've never been threatened, so of course they never ever personally get to experience the downsides of their ideas, all of those issues are externalized onto others.

Does it matter to liberals that Milo has repeatedly libeled other students, at his previous talks? Does it matter to liberals that he's repeatedly twisted the truth for his own personal gain, has acquired a devout following of an assorted bundle of racists, sexists, nazis and just plain old assholes? Of course not, they're safe, they're fine, they have to sacrifice nothing. But someone suggests that liberals are enabling nazis and fascist? Boy howdy, ate you gonna get an earful.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Plucky Brit posted:

I'm amazed that Americans are apparently fine with shutting down free speech for people with unsavoury views. As far as I'm concerned this is the reason Trump rose to power in the first place; the left shut down debate on important issues by labelling anybody with a dissenting opinion as a racist bigoted sexist. This didn't mean they won; on the contrary it allowed the views to go unchallenged and fester which culminated in the election we just witnessed.

As Orwell said, Fascist has become a meaningless term which is now used to define anything seen as bad. If that is enough of a reason to assault another person, you're going to have a hell of a lot of blood on the streets. Also, gangs of masked people dressed in black beating people with sticks and shouting 'Nazi!' 'Fascist!' is not going to win people over to the left.

I don't like some people's viewpoints. I still don't want to ban them from speaking. It's not just preservation of free speech; it's the fact that openly debating them is the only way they're going to change their views.

Milo's book has just reached top of the Amazon bestseller list. What on earth makes you think that the left will win by rioting?
Well, broadly speaking, the views expressed here aren't the majority views - the majority of the US is liberal, in one way or another, so appealing to 'free speech' is automatically going to get press.

But your characterisation of the left here is totally bullshit, and I suspect part of the reason you're choosing to interpret this issue in the way you have. Over the Obama presidency, only one side refused to ever negotiate, refused to compromise, refused to debate honestly. Guess what? They won the last election. Playing 'fair' is for losers, that's the lesson of the last election.

That's also appropriate to people like Milo, who has very intentionally being stretching the definition of what's reasonably defined as free speech. He hasn't played fair, neither should the people opposing him. It's unfortunate that this had also given him press, but there's no good choice here for the left. Not opposing him means letting him get away, scot free, with directly targeting vulnerable people, inciting hatred, but using his followers as a proxy for actual violent actions. Opposing means upsetting liberals. There is no good choice. The fact that there is no good choice is a consequence of the current political environment, but that can't be changed, so you make the best decision you can.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Like ask yourself this question: why does anarchist smashing shops get more play, than the continual transparent GOP efforts at voter map manipulations? The answer is: becauae liberals are used to talking about how bad Republicans are, so their blatant crimes get normalized. It's comforting, to them, to have them as the bag guy. Same with Nazis "oh they're terrible, but we have to be better than them."

But do they suffer because of these problems? Nope. They don't live in Michigan, you see. The side effects are so very far away from them. They don't have to personally fret about the existence of injustice, because they are never the victims.

But anything that deflates that little bubble of self worth they have, based on them being oh so enlightened, the elite, that's a threat to their pride.

~~~

*walls up to victim*

Victim: help, I've been brutalized by police, poisoned by drinking water, targeted by mobs, effectively disenfranchised from our democracy, and I'm poor as poo poo. Can help me? If not, can you at least punish the people who did this to me?

Liberal: Oh poor you! But no. I'm not going to do anything about it, because then I might have to compromise my stupid values. Don't worry though, I'll be sure to use your existence and plight for my next celebrity charity ball. Because When They Go Low, We Go High.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Bushiz posted:

Yeah most people believe they are in possession of moral rectitude and have no major philosophical failings. Liberals define themselves as broadly compassionate and caring and selfless, and the right doesn't call this into question. It's hardly the fault of the liberals, they've been programmed that way by consumptive ethics like "green capitalism" and project (red) or whatever.

Leftism brings the lie to light, and that causes an identity crisis that provokes an intensively negative response because they have no framework for dealing with people who espouse more radical compassion and caring than they do. Again, because our society doesn't teach a framework for having a moral failure. We say vegans are crazy and unrealistic because we don't want to confront the fact that we aren't behaving as morally as we could reasonably be.
So just to clarify: I disagree with this. When I said 'liberals like to see themselves as the most moral people ever', the unspoken assumption was not meant to be 'actually that's the leftists', it was supposed to be 'and that's proof of their pride and arrogance'. The exact problem is not a simple 'lack of compassion'. Indeed, many conservatives like to think of themselves as kind, and many of them are. The problem is a lack of ideological rigor. The stupidity of 'when they go low, we go high' is that that only works in movies, and it works because it's romantic. You wish upon a star, you go high, and then ~magic~ happens, everyone else goes high too! Yay! Good End! But that's not what happens in reality. In reality, you go high, and they go low. Then they keep going low. And you lose. Because when they went low, you went high. Like a loving idiot.

Why does liberalism do this? Because of the exact assumption you made: that evil exists in the world because not enough people are good. The ultimate result of liberalism contacting the real world is fascism, because once those unrealistic hopes have been dashed, the natural reaction is to embrace the 'death drive', forgo any morality whatsoever. No ideological rigor, no insight, just blind, spiteful fury, wrapped up in self-righteous condescending bullshit. This is what 'idpol' is, liberalism taken to its eventual conclusion.

The question that they never think to ask themselves "why can otherwise good people do bad things?" What are the incentives acting on people? What systems are they embedded in? A careful examination of politics shows exactly why 'they go low', and will always go low - because they want to win. They do what they have to to win. That's it. They couldn't care less what you think about yourself. They have to deal with the real world. And so do you.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
The only period in history where liberalism has worked as liberals imaged is inside the United States, following WW2, and that's because labor was strong. Outside of that country (or the west in general, beneficiaries of the post-war order) and outside of that time period, it's been a failure. Robber barons, railroad barons, the gilded age, the great depression, the continuous dysfunction of latin america - that is the eventual result of liberalism. Liberals don't want to confront that, they'd rather pretend that that was the high-point, from which we've regressed, rather than itself an anomalous outcome of a particular set of events. So they 'hope' for it's return, all the while doing everything they can to undermine every single factor that came together to produce that outcome, through privatization, through austerity, through alienation.

And this is the result.

You have no grounds to condemn the people working to clean up your mess.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Holy poo poo, yeah, I almost forgot about that. Imagine if a standing GOP politician got assassinated, you'd never hear the end of loving liberal hand-wringing for the next couple of decades. Case in point of exactly what I'm talking about.

The difficulty is that the majority of the country is still liberal, and you can't afford to alienate them too much. So you have to make a trade-off between drawing a line, and getting hypocritical liberals on your back, or doing nothing and letting people suffer. It's a really lovely situation, and I'm not sure what the optimal strategy is to counter or change that situation.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Guy goes looking for trouble, finds it, is stupid enough to not take care of his clothing, blames antifa. What an incompetent cry baby.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
My assumption is that they don't really know what they're doing, they think they're being edgy and clever, but without a doubt this exposure is going to make a lot of them go full nazi later on in life. Which is sort of why you're seeing them be targeted like this by older nazis.

Race Realists posted:

im curious to know your thoughts on race relations in 2017 America. No sarcasm. Penny for your thoughts dude.
No you're not. Don't play this game with me.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
also because anarchism has a well established literature to it, and an-caps basically go 'lol yeah aint reading any of that poo poo but imma steal the name anyway'

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
not me

*shifty eyes*

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
That's an obvious fake

Do you not notice the different streets

Or is that the joke

Idgi

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Wowzers, turns out you can't actually be a edgelord forever, without consequences.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
I'm glad he's getting humbled, but depressed it wasn't for any of the poo poo he said before.

"Antifa prevents pedo apologist speaking at Berkeley" - how many of the same 'but mah free speech'-ers would have come rushing to his defense then? loving none, that's how many.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
don't worry guys, i'm sure this is all just a clever troll, and milo is gonna pull out the punchline

any day now

come on

weasel your way out of this one bitch

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
no

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Prof. Lurker posted:

somewhat unrelated but lmao im loving the "call in" portrait they use for roger stone

Proffesional bond villian roger stone

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Who are you really, Lindsey O. Graham gimmick account?
I have a pretty good theory but The Only Way You'll Know Is If You Subscribe To My Patreon

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Baloogan posted:

he wouldn't be a bad bond villain actually
What do you think his super weapon will be

My guess is some kind of weaponized fedora

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
I mean something different from odd job, obviously, you can't ruin a classic lile that

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Baloogan posted:

i got 2x PMs whining about that probation.... so far :drac:
Imma bout to send you a pm, u best check urself

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Rapist Julian Assange Defends Pedo Apologist Milo

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
So it turns out Milo can't stop doing the same poo poo he's always one, shifting blame, making excuses, bullshitting.

Honestly, I prefer it this way - it means his fall is going to be the gift that keeps on giving.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Montasque posted:

I'm going to sign up.
why pay to learn what you can absorb by osmosis here on sa

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
also pretty sure 99% of the rev. soc. don't think america is actually ready for revolution, right now, just because of Trump

because that is loving out of touch

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
it's literally the only way 'conservative intellectuals' call something bad

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
god drat what a joke

who won?

answer: nobody. nobody won. Everyone, both in the protest and even us, watching it, have been made lesser by this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Wow, are you guys suggesting alex jones is just a hypocritical right-wing partisan, and not a Principled Supporter Of Freedom? I, for one, am shocked.