Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slow-Scan Shep
Jul 11, 2001

weev is important because he used to have leftist cred up until halfway through his prison term and many civil libertarians were still returning his calls afterwards

he pioneered living as a troll

on that note the list is also missing mencius moldbug and justine tunney

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slow-Scan Shep
Jul 11, 2001

breaklaw posted:

This thread is ridiculous and SpaceGoku is making me take this idiot's side. Not one single post as evidence of Milo being a fascist, a white supremacist or anything of the like. Some internet famous douchebag out here trolling for dollars but for some reason, people just aren't getting hysterical enough about the eminent total victory of the fourth reich.
the american right has always represented a kind of diet-coke fascism and the problem is that people are only getting it just now when they should have been saying it decades ago. from the gassed version of this thread:

quote:

frankly i have always found the shock around the term "alt-right" and it's members to be a bit uh, odd. People keep saying that it's a politically-correct term for fascism and white nationalism when the NON-"alt" american right as symbolized by the good ol gipper and other supposedly relatively cuddly teddy bears uh did a pretty bang up job repping fascism and white nationalism just as hard. Maybe with an extra wink or smile or two, but not much more than that.

the odd thing about the "alt"-right is not that it is this new repackaging of fascism, it's that it's treated by all these media people as something new and shocking when it is anything but. the real difference between the "alt"-right and the classic edition is that the former is carefully and savvily repackaged to make it appeal to young people and that is what is actually new and scary about it - the idea that all these ~millennials~ are going to become every bit the terrifying shitheads that their parents are.

Slow-Scan Shep
Jul 11, 2001

everything that could have been said about pewdiepie was said back when he first somehow managed to rocket to superstardom

all he did was scream rape at stupid video games. no, really, that was pretty much most of his schtick. then this became popular, to the point where he was one of a tiny handful of people getting rich off of youtube views. fast-forward two or however many years and the front page of youtube is absolutely indistinguishable from that tv in idiocracy.

now after months of trying to ignore his existence (because it is loving depressing as poo poo) we learn that some disney property not only signed him on in the first place but then had to drop him for doing the same kind of poo poo he's been doing since uh... day 1??

old media must be amazingly desperate to get their cut if they even touched the guy

Slow-Scan Shep has issued a correction as of 05:06 on Feb 15, 2017

Slow-Scan Shep
Jul 11, 2001

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

I tell ya Mister Iger, rape jokes are hot! The kids love the rape! Ya gotta sign this Pewdiepie guy, or you'll regret it!
https://twitter.com/chrismorrisbits/status/830388700873912320

Slow-Scan Shep
Jul 11, 2001

two years and y'all simply forget justine tunney even exists

the reactionary camp welcomes all who are willing to defect to it in the name of optics

Slow-Scan Shep
Jul 11, 2001

also the real punchline on the end of this joke is that people are going after milo for defending groping and pederasty when the american electorate has made it plenty clear they fully and completely approve of both

Slow-Scan Shep
Jul 11, 2001

Darkman Fanpage posted:

turns out squishy normie republicans arent so comfortable with open nazism
they are, the act they put on about the alt-right is pure theater. they built these people and helped them grow.

even a passing familiarity with the nazi collaboration that took place and continues to take place within american intelligence and industry lays this bare. whether this is open or closeted has never mattered

Slow-Scan Shep
Jul 11, 2001

rudatron posted:

I don't feel this is being taken seriously. I think people itt are too willing to ignore the warning signs, that this should be telegraphing, because of some misplaced notion of 'it cant happen here'. It can happen, this is just one step. Trump is in the white house, but he can't do much against large street opposition, if he crosses a line, like ordering all Muslims deported or whatever.
obama did all the hard work back in '08. this berkeley stuff probably won't even last as long as occupy did. once they decided it was no longer useful, that poo poo was wrecked from within and without with the leftover people directed to focus on everything but class, everything but imperialism.

in a way, i'm glad we have trump now because we can't pretend we're not the evil empire anymore. the last six months have been like the mitch & webb "are we the baddies" skit on a national scale.

Slow-Scan Shep has issued a correction as of 19:23 on Apr 16, 2017

Slow-Scan Shep
Jul 11, 2001

i love it when they hunt for the weirdest possible frames out of hours of video. money well spent

Slow-Scan Shep
Jul 11, 2001

i still think the real comedy was when the person making the brown families explode on the other side of the planet was swapped for a slightly ruder, stupider version and that was all it took for people to realize that maybe, just maybe their country was the bad guy country after being semi-intentionally blind to it for basically their entire lives

yours truly included

Slow-Scan Shep
Jul 11, 2001

Username posted:

I'm trying to imagine something more pathetic than the online presence of the alt right and nothing is coming to mind
what is it about those white male stubbly shiteating grins that makes them so putrid and completely punchable

Slow-Scan Shep
Jul 11, 2001

consumed by normies posted:

all of youtube turning itno a nazi hellscape is pretty funny

Slow-Scan Shep
Jul 11, 2001

hackbunny posted:

Are we ignoring the role of the FBI? The story goes that they demanded a monopoly on the moderation of the /b/ board (I assume in exchange for not seizing and shutting down the whole site), and they didn't care about moderation, just about busting pedophiles (which meant silently encouraging pedophiles). This left /b/ essentially unmoderated for years. Allegedly
This is honestly so close to likely that it's an absolute, guaranteed certainty. I bet we'll be seeing leaked documents proving it in 10 years, or declassified documents proving it in 50 (provided of course that the US and it's government as we know it still exists in 50 years, yadder yadder yadder). There is absolutely no way that moot could have run the site through the whole LulzSec era and beyond without quiet and total cooperation with the feds, and the cushy digs he got after quitting are his obvious and poorly-disguised reward.

I mean, sure, in the end it doesn't really matter much but there is no way the modern alt-right isn't at least half as spooked out as the classic sixties klan was and that had to have started somewhere.

Slow-Scan Shep
Jul 11, 2001

Panzeh posted:

lenin actually won his civil war just fyi

Slow-Scan Shep
Jul 11, 2001

the black husserl posted:

I've never seen any actual CENTRIST LIBS use the term "alt-left", it's always exclusively used by clickbait journalists looking for hits or alt-right shitheads

but i believe ya'll if you say it exists. can you show me an example of a prominent "centrist" decrying the alt-left?
trump only said "alt-left" because even he can't bring himself to utter the phrase "social justice warrior" in a press conference and enter it into the international lexicon

like, there was an audible half-stumble there and you can tell that that was the phrase he had because when he is forced to use his filter it takes a long-rear end time for his brain to retrieve it from cold storage

Slow-Scan Shep
Jul 11, 2001

Al-Saqr posted:

lol it's really cool of that boneheaded rear end in a top hat rogan that he gave those racists and alt fighters and Nazis a consistent platform on his show to spew their horseshit from for years on end and then suddenly be aghast at the fruits of something he had a hand in creating.
so just like all other american media platforms from 197X on then

Slow-Scan Shep
Jul 11, 2001

the trump tutelage posted:

I love reading poo poo like this now when just a few months ago anyone who warned against normalizing political violence was chewed out on these dead gay forums. I'm loving shocked that the whole "punch a quote-unquote nazi" thing helped mobilize a bunch of literal nazis instead of cowing the alt-right into silence. Who could have known???
i love hot takes like this that pretend 2k8 never happened

Slow-Scan Shep
Jul 11, 2001

Zeroisanumber posted:

What happened in 2008?
turns out when you help yourself to the middle class's economic perks and futures a good chunk of them decide that going fash is how they're gonna get them back

Slow-Scan Shep has issued a correction as of 03:29 on Aug 19, 2017

Slow-Scan Shep
Jul 11, 2001

Prester Jane posted:

The Oathkeepers organization threw them out for that though.
i hope they landed ok for their trouble

Slow-Scan Shep
Jul 11, 2001

it's weird and really sad the way the brony subculture evolved. the first six months of it were basically cool and chill; it wound up drawing some of the more decent people out of 4chan's orbit. Unfortunately, after it ran out of decent people it just kept pulling i guess.

Slow-Scan Shep
Jul 11, 2001

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

There's no where positive the adult male fanbase of a childrens' show for girls could have gone.

it was pretty positive for hasbro's bottom line

Slow-Scan Shep
Jul 11, 2001

business hammocks posted:

"Hmm, let's see--I want to copy the leftist magazine renowned for thoughtful content and beautify layouts...what shall I make? A purple blogspot template full of poo poo about how I read LA Kauffman and am waiting for Civil War II, plus an article about how the Something Awful Forums created the modern left!"

https://jacobitemag.com/2017/08/12/how-message-board-culture-remade-the-left/
all of these dumb histories always start too late and end too early. it also seems you can just pick your favorite boogeyman out of LF/FYAD/Helldump and lay a mess they couldn't possibly have orchestrated if they tried entirely at their feet

Slow-Scan Shep
Jul 11, 2001

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Yeah. It's such a shame to see Don Bluth trying to be Disney.
is he still busy disowning his gay brother

Slow-Scan Shep
Jul 11, 2001

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

*hands u hormone pill*
sir the proper terminology is The Pink Pill

Slow-Scan Shep
Jul 11, 2001

Taintrunner posted:

the only legitimate signals come from Soviet numbers stations

BLAAAAAARPT

BLAAAAAARPT

BLAAAAAARPT

Ya UVB-76, Ya UVB-76. 180 08 BROMAL 74 27 99 14. Boris, Roman, Olga, Mikhail, Anna, Larisa. 7 4 2 7 9 9 1 4.

BLAAAAAARPT

Slow-Scan Shep
Jul 11, 2001

I've thought weev has had some kind of spook connection ever since prison and the Ukraine trip kind of cements that.

Slow-Scan Shep
Jul 11, 2001

Sir Tonk posted:

if we had shut down 4chan before /pol/ got rolling, would this still have happened?
if shutting down 4chan before 2008 would have somehow through some crazy insane version of the butterfly effect prevented the economic crash, then sure

Sir Tonk posted:

need to send a few hundred SHARPs down to silicon valley to beat the gently caress out of all these assholes every day, they're so insulated by their wealth and weirdo internet friends that you end up with people like zuck doing this surreal tour of the hoi polloi.

either that or go back in time and stop ayn rand after she released we the living
that would get you both dead and in jail so fast that it would break the rules of causality

Slow-Scan Shep has issued a correction as of 07:41 on Oct 15, 2017

Slow-Scan Shep
Jul 11, 2001

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

Yes.

My feeling is that doxxing is a double-edged sword because it is a great deterrent, but these people putting all their Nazi poo poo on social media are also a great resource to figure out who *their* friends are, since many do take efforts to hide their identities. But even if they've tried to be as anonymous as possible, they're still mostly all in the same social club so you can find patterns and connections.
In recent years I've come to believe that nothing that you can inflict on someone online is impossible to come back from. However horrible you are, you can always find roughly two dozen people who will have your back, which is more than enough to stop you from not being able to sleep at night.

Modern social media is great at helping even the most low-level of twerps manage this, which is part of what makes it so evil.

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

You only need three ingredients to mix a toxic brew of white supremacy: 1) expectation of anonymity, 2) complete lack of moderation, 3) antisocials obsessed with their own personal tastes

If it wasn't 4chan it would be some other poo poo.
you forgot economic threats to the petit-bourgeoismiddle class, the group that fascism draws most of it's manpower from. there is no dispute that /pol/ and friends were really bad before 2008, but they weren't actually contagious until poo poo really hit the fan

Slow-Scan Shep has issued a correction as of 18:25 on Oct 15, 2017

Slow-Scan Shep
Jul 11, 2001

Al! posted:

seriously, who????????
sam kriss, aka deadken, aka one of a very small handful of ex-LF tankies to break into published journalism of any kind and the only one to get into the new york times

as you can imagine he sold out years ago

Slow-Scan Shep
Jul 11, 2001

Weev's got a "ask me anything" going over at good ol' kiwi farms.

Some choice puppetmaster(bate)ry:

quote:

quote:

AnOminous said: ↑

What did you ever see in Shanley Kane? Was she a total freak in the sack or something? Because I'm just not seeing the attraction.

You're missing the point entirely. It wasn't about attraction. It was about utility. I was banned from computers and I wanted to continue my work for a dialectic that ended in fascism. If I couldn't work as a direct actor, I needed to create proxies. So I took a bunch of women, trained them in Internet trolling, multivariate testing, choice modeling, and liferuining, and I created a new face of cultural Marxism.

Before this era, it was quietly done in HR departments. You'd get fired for bullshit reasons, or passed over for promotions indefinitely for having wrongthink. Only if you were a very visible executive person like Brendan Eich would you ever see it. That doesn't motivate people into action.

So I needed really bad actors running around in public getting people fired, trying to enforce an agenda on things like technology and video games for crowdfunding and media spectacle. They needed to generate a lot of collateral damage, get in a lot of people's faces, and convince them to fight back.

It worked better than I could have possibly imagined. It turns out telling people the merits of fascism isn't as effective at generating fascists as an obnoxious Patreon collector getting their friends fired from their jobs or demanding that video game protagonists all get turned into black genderqueer midgets. Shanley happened to be the highest ratio of collateral damage so a mob of my friends demanded of me that I do something specific to disable her, so I took her off of the board. The rest I put on the board live in permanent fear that I will give them the Shanley treatment as well.

I really don't need to go into how crazy delusional hosed this is, hopefully that just stands on it's own.

Slow-Scan Shep
Jul 11, 2001

LordSaturn posted:

what is the connection between weev and shanley

can I not continue to enjoy her insanely good tweets
imagine mandy and shmorky with the politics flipped around

Slow-Scan Shep
Jul 11, 2001

Dreddout posted:

Nick Mullen claims that Weev doesn't actually believe in anything deep down. He's just a man who's brain has been broken by contrarianism, even the swastika tattoo is just a means to an end on that front.

Knowing other broke brained trolls, I'm inclined to agree. Doesn't mean that for all intents and purposes he's a Nazi
Well, of course. Weev believes in only one thing and that is Weev. All that changed is that he traded up from his tiny handful of buttes/Bantown buddies to global fascism at a speed that suprised even said former irc buddies.

What nobody wants to hear of course is that deep down his allegedly hyperliberal Twitter/ex-troll contemporaries are largely the same. Horseshoe theory may be a joke as far as the rest of the world (and history) is concerned, but with declassed middle-class american youth it pans out brilliantly. The political beliefs of the Extremely Online are a total dice roll based on their personality disorders and mental illnesses.

Slow-Scan Shep
Jul 11, 2001

here's hoping dubya's death will have some suitably hilarious slant

we almost got one a little ways into term 1 with the pretzel but he wasn't quite on himmler or tzar level by that point

Slow-Scan Shep has issued a correction as of 03:40 on Nov 2, 2017

Slow-Scan Shep
Jul 11, 2001

weev posted:

The why is already answered up above, but I'll assume you want to know what it was like. It's the worst form of torture you can possibly imagine, I've had federal agents kick the poo poo out of me and I'd take that any day. If you ever find yourself in a SHU stop eating. The lack of calories will make it so you think less and also in those conditions likely give you some hallucinations to help you pass the time. Solitary confinement causes brain damage so profound you can see it with brain imaging. You'd rather have razors put underneath your fingernails, or be shocked with a car battery. It's an empty metal box with no stimulus whatsoever, not good. Most people who go in for extended periods just break apart completely.
i changed my mind about punching nazis, can we do this to them instead

Slow-Scan Shep
Jul 11, 2001

all this travel takes money. who's giving it to him?

Slow-Scan Shep
Jul 11, 2001

Dmitri-9 posted:

The Daily Stormer wouldn't finance these people. Weev believes in the shitposting revolution not the kill everyone revolution.
they are one and the same

Slow-Scan Shep
Jul 11, 2001

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

more like polonium with how involved he's been with the ukraine by now
i will hang a framed photo of putin in my place of residence if that happens :toxx:

Dmitri-9 posted:

They aren't. Look at brutalistmcdonalds' posts in this thread. Weev wants to change hearts and minds with messaging and ideology so people can be openly racist and create a sea change where the current government is thrown out. Killing 20 white people would be the most counterproductive thing ever. He doesn't even support Richard Spencer style rallies.
a final, final solution happens under either scenario, though
yes that is a cop-out - his strategies are obviously different but the end goal is the same

Slow-Scan Shep has issued a correction as of 11:19 on Nov 8, 2017

Slow-Scan Shep
Jul 11, 2001

Taintrunner posted:

wow its almost as if twitter is a lovely platform run by dipshit rich white liberals who try to free speech their way out of everything and you should stop using their platform for content

Slow-Scan Shep
Jul 11, 2001

not even the "terfs" can stand peterson

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slow-Scan Shep
Jul 11, 2001

Admiral Ray posted:

They started when women in the atheist movement asked them to not be creepy

Same basic cause, though

Al-Saqr posted:

I just want to remind everyone that these people all started their journey to supporting Nazism and supporting pedophilia because some lady critic said mild things about video games.
The root cause was the 2008 economic crash and the middle-class immiseration that followed. I don't understand why we keep missing this.