Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 225 days!

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

Why is there a person in this thread defending Chinese genocide? Is it so hard to believe that another country would do what America did and arguably still does?

"arguably" lol

this is cspam you don't have to pretend, remember the forced abortions thing? like a few weeks ago (20 billion trumpyears subjective time)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 225 days!

Uranium 235 posted:

so you agree with the claim that the ccp has, from the beginning, had the agenda of eliminating all non-han people from china?

why believe that instead of my "reactionaries exist in china for the same reasons they exist here" hypothesis

or some other one, but as a very handsome and smart third party who is in no way me wearing a mustache put it, "you should believe this goon because he is very handsome and smart."

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 225 days!

Standard colonialist bullshit is genocide, though. I just don’t see the substance of the distinction being made. Is this because China is nominally communist?

basically, yes

in some cases its more a being reasonably suspicious about narratives implicating regimes and ideologies which challenge america regardless of their moral standing

it helps when you look and the stuff the party admits to is really bad enough as a fig leaf, its at best one one with a giant dong emblazoned upon in it

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 225 days!

skewetoo posted:

Thanks. I figured. I don't care if he's a true believer or not. That's almost beside the point. I just don't want him and people like him making GBS threads up my internet experience

you will hear a guy make very smart takes that totally own the libs boldly tell the truth 3-4 times a day

i believe the effect is meant to be that you assume that there must be many people who agree and clap when they hear the bold truth teller

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 225 days!

do you think they're pissed off when they get moved from cspam to 4chan?

it's like being moved from byob to fyad X100000

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 225 days!

Do you think feds assigned to watch places like SA ever get radicalized by reading our posting, or do they just search key words so there’s no danger of being taught that they’re living a lie as tools of capital?

i imagine they figure out that they're tools living a lie pretty quick and the rest is just details

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 225 days!

miniscule12 posted:

I'd imagine some adopt compartmentalized thought patterns such as "yes capitalism is bad but if I attach myself to the state I can survive it"

quote:

"Your family could still be alive, you know.''

He looks up. "They could?'' Andrea? Jason? "Alive?''

The void laughs again, unfriendly: "There is life eternal within the eater of souls. Nobody is ever forgotten or allowed to rest in peace. They populate the simulation spaces of its mind, exploring all the possible alternative endings to their life. There is a fate worse than death, you know.''

Hodgepodge has issued a correction as of 07:50 on Oct 27, 2020

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 225 days!

Filthy Hans posted:

why did GiP rebrand

goons have sort of aged out of the "in platoons" demographic

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 225 days!

Business Gorillas posted:

Noted areas without racial tension: East Asia and Africa

they aren't living blissful lives in idyllic ethnostates???

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 225 days!
they'll come into fashion in about 20 years when zoomers get nostalgic for the president who destroyed america

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 225 days!

Kanine posted:

i wonder if it would be a worthwhile pursuit for leftists to infiltrate rightwing online spaces and try to sow infighting? no idea how effective it would be compared to them just doing it on their own though

i don't think we're going to outdo the cia/fbi/etc on that one

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 225 days!

Anime Bernie Bro posted:

i'm just gonna say it anyone mad about sarkeesian's take is a seething chud and probably an incel as well

having seen gamergate in its times lol at anyone who thinks that sarkeesian is this weird innocent flower who just posts opinions without understanding that gamergaters are obsessed with her

her podcast is probably ablout feminism, that being her thing, and she's not being a moron, knows that gamergaters are still obsessed with her and will blow up an innocuous comment. because she's not a moron.

and people here are championing the idea that she somehow doesn't take the reaction of the hordes of obsessive chuds who can't let go into account when she tweets? how the gently caress do you think she'd not be aware of that? tbh you make her sound like this innocent, fragile thing and not an adult woman who's lived with this dynamic for years and seems to be doing fine at this point

Hodgepodge has issued a correction as of 12:42 on Nov 23, 2020

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 225 days!

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

I've n ever posted on FYAD and the thread needs to be gas and honestly you should probably be banned. Those aren't related you're just an awful person to talk to.

if you think some gross stuff is the worst this thread has seen you might want to lurk a little in the thread before posting

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 225 days!

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

I've been posting in this thread as long as you have shut the gently caress up . The thread's bad.

yeah, that's...

...look, we were hoping you'd notice, but, well,

turn on you're monitor

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 225 days!

she'll never find the truth if she's riddled with body thetans!!!

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 225 days!

Alan Smithee posted:

Hi my name is Jude Konspiracy and I'm here to save the white race for America

https://static.tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pub/images/lucifercard_9781.jpg

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 225 days!

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

part of what breaks my brain is their “We’re not anti-semites, we’re against anti-semitism which is why we now feel comfortable being openly anti-semitic. “

a real “crack-ping” as the forums folks say.

its the sort of thing that happens when people are so used to their stated and actual motivations being completely separate that they forget that there is a difference

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 225 days!

miniscule12 posted:

contradictions and hypocrisy is an expression of political power and will. The more you contradict yourself, the more power you have. The left saying what it actually believes is just a symptom of us having no power.

a typical derangement of power is that one spends so long solving problems by telling others what to do that one comes to believe that one's will has supernatural casual efficacy

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 225 days!

Zeroisanumber posted:

Heterosexual sex is the gayest possible sex.

it's a little obscure, but indeed a well established transitive property of the well known axiom, "eww, liking girls is gay. cooties."

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 225 days!
philosophy is a very abstract discipline, and you were instructed by a master of keeping oneself grounded in human experience

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 225 days!

it's kinda awkward because the whole west kinda does that and wouldn't mind if he just eased off on the gay people

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 225 days!
my understanding is that they have one of their mothers suck them all off, so clearly the "no homers" rule applies and only one woman is allowed in the clubhouse

e: https://mobile.twitter.com/kappa_kappa/status/1267225077197619200?lang=en

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 225 days!
zizek was a warning from the dragon of chaos that jorp couldn't even handle a weird dude who is a genuine intellectual, let alone the might of the goddess

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 225 days!
i'm not sure i want to actually listen to a new dave matthews band song unless i know if it's good or not in advance and this is unclear from posts

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 225 days!

Race Realists posted:

https://twitter.com/ChurchOfGame/status/1344776329405878272?s=19

it's 2020 and they're still using that Fine Young Capitalist bullshit

wasn't GG right around when SA was a notable part of pushing jailbait crap off reddit? that's the closest i've ever been to being proud of this place.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 225 days!
its seen as a cultural watershed by the right, way more than the left. most of them probably think it was whatever gamegaters tell them it was about, and have no idea that no one else was sure what they were on about except that it was all hateful drama

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 225 days!

Heath posted:

It validated a number of bugbears common to the right wing psyche, namely

1) the promiscuous Modern Woman who uses her wiles to cheat her way to success;
2) the fundamental mistrust of media authority to validate and launder cultural objects by raising mediocre work to high artistic praise;
3) a man wounded, cuckolded because he lacked the material advantages afforded by being able to provide specific benefit to the career advancement of (1);
4) an ethics and morality play which put the entire world* at stake, in which they could participate and foster the dramatic tension

*Video games

they would never admit it, but it was also about wanting safe spaces to express and perform their understanding of masculinity (and not confront how broken and dysfunctional that understanding has become)

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 225 days!

World War Mammories posted:

zizek is qualified for many things, far beyond his specialty of being a transmogrified raccoon

the trash panda is cspams spirit animal

i followed him here from cineD when he promised me the ability to talk about politics without having to post in d&d

yes i was absolutely high when this happened

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 225 days!

LordSaturn posted:

these are good answers, my curiosity was earnest. I faintly remember the result of the debate being "they found they agreed"

it was closer to zizek having jorp eating out of his hand by the halfway mark

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 225 days!

kitten emergency posted:

proud boys and the chud brigades have never been the sort of threat that a lot of libs gas them up as. as individualized threats, sure, but if antifa just stopped loving showing up or made sure there were no targets for them, then they'd get taken off the streets by cops or peter out. if a bunch of dumbass white dudes in polo shirts is a threat to democracy, then we should go shut down tailgating at SEC games, because that's where these morons came from and its where they'll go back to.

people are going to be incredibly surprised at how quickly "all of this" goes away without trump

ed: it won't actually go away, but it's going to change into another form, because we're not going to address the structural issues that lead to any of it happening.

if antifa stopped showing up, they'd start taking people out of their homes and shooting them instead

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 225 days!

kitten emergency posted:

i can't really argue a negative but i don't think there's any evidence that they would actually do this at all, especially given that there's been plenty of opportunities for alt-right militias to do exactly this and they haven't!

is a total lack of curiosity about the subject, let alone any actual importance to your life, supposed to be a lack of evidence?

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 225 days!

kitten emergency posted:

like i posted earlier, i think the alt-right shitheads will metastasize into some other form of shithead-ness. they'll drop the explicit WN poo poo and get into 80s style greed is good hypercapitalism or something. none of these morons want to actually die or go to jail.

i can understand wishful thinking, but this is the most positive post you're likely to get in reply to it

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 225 days!

kitten emergency posted:

i mean, i'm not just throwing poo poo against the wall, this is my conclusion based on what i've studied and what i've seen over the past four years. maybe i'm wrong, i'm not saying that i'm 100% confident about anything, but i think that it's more likely that the "alt right" turns into something unrecognizable from what it is today within the next four years or so and mostly drops the street fighting bullshit.

okay. well, why would that happen? the street fights aren't happening because of a fad or something, and no one with the ability to change the things that have lead to them has any interest in making things different in the slightest.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 225 days!

kitten emergency posted:

they are happening because of a fad, though? trumpism requires you to be as loud and obnoxious as humanly possible. if you boil down the entire chud logic behind losing the election, its that they simply cannot hold it in their head that there are that many people that don't like him. the alt-right is, quite literally, a movement about virtue signaling. the best way to do that is to get in a big ball of your buddies and march around to own the libs and punch some people who disagree with you, because that's what you do. you're stronger than they are, you beat them up because they aren't as strong as you. that's the trump ethos.

so what happens with no trump? yeah, the underlying conditions that led to trump aren't going away, but for the most part 2018/2020 can be seen as a "middle class" repudiation of trumpism. there's no socially acceptable rock for them to cling to, so the only way they can persist is to find some new unifying purpose to rally around.

i mean, maybe i'm wrong (i've been wrong about plenty of poo poo) but there's been so many opportunities for widespread violence and all we see is a bunch of "you better be glad that my buddy's holding me back!!" drunk dude poo poo.

wait, you think the protests, riots, etc are about trump?

i'm not sure where to begin because its always weird to meet someone holding a position you thought of as a straw man

e: i guess i'd say that having a leader in a position of authority made them bolder. apart from that, trump is no different from any other chud; he's just rode the wave as far as it can take him, he's only a leader insofar as he legitimizes what they want to say and do in the first place.

Hodgepodge has issued a correction as of 23:54 on Jan 2, 2021

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 225 days!

kitten emergency posted:

yeah, and for the most part i think that's still accurate? i think it's worth pointing out that i'm not grouping all left or liberal protest under "antifa", i think it's good to counter-protest the dumbasses when they show up because if nothing else it helps drain cop budgets. but there's a vocal minority of people that want to start poo poo, and i think escalating street fights isn't really that useful.

for the most part though, i think the proud boys will peter out due to infighting. felony convictions aren't really great if you're trying to be a successwin business guy. /shrug

the pushback from antifa types is important specifically because unopposed by people willing and able to do violence, fascists only become more bold. the mistake might be assuming the fasc want a fight. the type of fight fascists like is ten guys kicking you to death. some of them do have the will for a real fight, some of them even harken back to the Alamo mentality of wanting to intentionally martyr themselves, but most will run from a fight there is even the slightest chance they won't win.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 225 days!
i hesitate to bring it up because this sort of cultural comparison is so loaded, so i'll advise a grain of salt here. that said, i think about the Malaysian concept of "amok" a lot when it comes to right wing violence:

quote:

Amok originated from the Malaysian/Indonesian word meng-āmuk, which when roughly defined means "to make a furious and desperate charge".[4] According to Malaysian and Indonesian cultures, amok was rooted in a deep spiritual belief.[5] They believed that amok was caused by the hantu belian,[6] which was an evil tiger spirit that entered one's body and caused the heinous act. As a result of the belief, those in Indonesian culture tolerated amok and dealt with the after-effects with no ill will towards the assailant.[7]

Although commonly used in a colloquial and less-violent sense, the phrase is particularly associated with a specific sociopathic culture-bound syndrome in the cultures of Malaysia, Indonesia and Brunei. In a typical case of running amok, an individual (often male), having shown no previous sign of anger or any inclination to violence, will acquire a weapon (traditionally a sword or dagger, but currently any of a variety of weapons) and in a sudden frenzy, will attempt to kill or seriously injure anyone he encounters and himself.[8] Amok typically takes place in a well populated or crowded area. Amok episodes of this kind normally end with the attacker being killed by bystanders or committing suicide, eliciting theories that amok may be a form of intentional suicide in cultures where suicide is heavily stigmatized.[9] Those who do not commit suicide and are not killed typically lose consciousness, and upon regaining consciousness, claim amnesia.

An early Western description of the practice appears in the journals of Captain James Cook, a British explorer, who encountered amok firsthand in 1770 during a voyage around the world. Cook writes of individuals behaving in a reckless, violent manner, without cause and "indiscriminately killing and maiming villagers and animals in a frenzied attack."[10]

A widely accepted explanation links amok with male honour (amok by women and children is virtually unknown).[11] Running amok would thus be both a way of escaping the world (since perpetrators were normally killed or committed suicide) and re-establishing one's reputation as a man to be feared and respected.

i have heard versions (again grain of salt without a better source here) which allege that people suffering from amok report the delusion that their penis is literally retracting into their body and will keep going and kill them. a little on the nose! but the fact that restorative justice is accepted after these sorts of attacks is sort of inspirational as well.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 225 days!

American right-wing violence isn’t just spectacular suicide, though. The point is that they hate their victims so much that they die in the act of killing them. It’s the same variation on suicide as family annihilators.

well, america can't really be compared to a presumably functional society. i think the blaze of glory thing is there on some level, even if the glory is, um, killing some random kids. anyhow

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Read that as "restorative juice" at first and went "what?" and then "well sure I guess :shrug:" until it clicked.

we must steal the magic juice and heal this troubled land

Hodgepodge has issued a correction as of 01:53 on Jan 3, 2021

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 225 days!

Soy Division posted:

the penile retraction delusion syndrome is called koro and really exists but is not directly connected with the concept of amok

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Koro_%28medicine%29

ah, that could just be me conflating them or something then

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 225 days!

What feels off about them? The fascist scene in my city has a number of deep greens, and they scare me more than the regular fash because they seem more committed to violence and dying and I can’t really figure out how they ended up starting with environmentalism and finishing on the right.

There are common roots in romanticism, which is a wellspring drawn on by various ideologies in a huge number of different ways.