Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Spatula City posted:

anyway, of the films nominated for BP, I've seen 6/9, better than usual! I want to see Lion and Fences, but won't see Hacksaw Ridge on principle (gently caress YOU GIBSON YOU PIECE OF poo poo).
Is that a consistent stance to take with the stink coming off of Casey Affleck right now? BTW, I haven't seen Hacksaw either but only because Lonergan is more of my kind of filmmaker than Gibson.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Coaaab posted:

Is that a consistent stance to take with the stink coming off of Casey Affleck right now? BTW, I haven't seen Hacksaw either but only because Lonergan is more of my kind of filmmaker than Gibson.

If I were to separate art from artist I'd say the average Affleck performance is really good while the average Gibson direction is a polished turd.

But people can approach either with their own level of skepticism.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

What range has Casey Affleck showed other than "socially awkward creep"?

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

ruddiger posted:

Double burger...

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Re the Hollywood reapproachment with Gibson, it in no way coincides with his recent signing with CAA, after breaking it off with his long-term manager. To suggest otherwise....would be pish posh!

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

ruddiger posted:

He plays a pretty amazing creep though doesn't he? Assassination of Jesse James is such a great performance.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Personally I love LA LA Land and can't wait for it to get a majority of the awards it's up for :rms:

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

ruddiger posted:

I think "socially awkward creep," while accurate, is selling his performance in Assassination of Jesse James short. Regardless, he also did a great job as a neo-noir protagonist in Gone Baby Gone.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Shin Godzilla was robbed for Best Foreign Language Film

Purple Monkey
May 5, 2014

:phone:Hello
Is it just a British thing where the media gets some bizarre national pride whenever a national receives an acting nomination or does it happen elsewhere as well?

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

The Swiss media was ecstatic when they heard about the country scoring two nominations, so it's definitely not just a British thing. Europe as a whole seems to care a lot more about the Oscars than any other award show.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Here in America, everyone's just patting themselves on the back for nominating more than two black people.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Here in America, everyone's just patting themselves on the back for nominating more than two black people.

The whole thing is so transparent. Wow, just one year after the Oscars was roundly criticized for being 100% white, all of the sudden we're setting records for black nominees. Its a total coincidence, it just so happens that no people of color were deserving of a nomination last year!

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Samuel Clemens posted:

The Swiss media was ecstatic when they heard about the country scoring two nominations, so it's definitely not just a British thing. Europe as a whole seems to care a lot more about the Oscars than any other award show.
Losers. We've got THREE nominations here in Denmark!

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Shageletic posted:

EDIT: At this point Meryl Streep is stopping the recognition of younger stars.

People say the same thing about Julia Louis-Dreyfus and that she should withdraw her name from future Emmy consideration, and I just don't get it.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Basebf555 posted:

The whole thing is so transparent. Wow, just one year after the Oscars was roundly criticized for being 100% white, all of the sudden we're setting records for black nominees. Its a total coincidence, it just so happens that no people of color were deserving of a nomination last year!

It was two years in a row, wasn't it? Alongside record low viewing numbers.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

quote:

It was two years in a row, wasn't it? Alongside record low viewing numbers.

Standard TV is practically dead, so expect that trend to continue. The viewership, not the No Black People.

Shageletic posted:

EDIT: At this point Meryl Streep is stopping the recognition of younger stars.

lmbo

All the actresses mysteriously disappearing after age 35 clearly have Meryl Streep to blame

RaspberrySea
Nov 29, 2004
No one I know has cable, so what's a person to do? Let me sign up somewhere to pay to watch the stupid things online, and I'd probably pay a good $25 for the whole evening. You don't even have to take the ads out.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

MorgaineDax posted:

No one I know has cable, so what's a person to do? Let me sign up somewhere to pay to watch the stupid things online, and I'd probably pay a good $25 for the whole evening. You don't even have to take the ads out.

Comcast is quickly moving toward Internet TV, for one, but their stream quality is the drizzling shits.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

dont even fink about it posted:

Standard TV is practically dead, so expect that trend to continue. The viewership, not the No Black People.

Oh, I know. But it, alongside the third factor of virttually none of the nominees being financially successful or even widely seen, all added up to an image of the oscars being badly out of touch, which they obviously are.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Timby posted:

People say the same thing about Julia Louis-Dreyfus and that she should withdraw her name from future Emmy consideration, and I just don't get it.
One could make a compelling case for including other actresses over Streep this year.

But you really couldn't justify omitting Louis-Dreyfus from a slate of the year's best TV comedy actresses. Plus she's not nearly as old as Streep and not nearly as recognized. And Veep will go away, eventually.

Purple Monkey
May 5, 2014

:phone:Hello
It does kind of feel like it's gotten to the stage where Meryl Streep could just walk onto screen, fart and then walk straight off again and never appear for the rest of the film and still get at least a best supporting actress nom

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Basebf555 posted:

It's partly an instinctive response to last year, but this year also had a ton more quality black films. Last year was just Creed and Straight Outta Compton. This year's black contenders are better and white films were on the whole weaker.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Vegetable posted:

It's partly an instinctive response to last year, but this year also had a ton more quality black films. Last year was just Creed and Straight Outta Compton. This year's black contenders are better and white films were on the whole weaker.

there was also Beasts of No Nation which Idris Elba got completely robbed for.

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring

Basebf555 posted:

He plays a pretty amazing creep though doesn't he? Assassination of Jesse James is such a great performance.

I love that movie so much.

Oscar talk: no Paterson makes me sad.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

there was also Beasts of No Nation which Idris Elba got completely robbed for.

I still can't believe that they were so petty about it being a Netflix movie that they completely snubbed it.

I mean, I CAN believe it, but it's complete bullshit.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

GonSmithe posted:

I still can't believe that they were so petty about it being a Netflix movie that they completely snubbed it.

I mean, I CAN believe it, but it's complete bullshit.

I don't know whether AMPAS is to blame or the movie theater chains who refused to carry it, really. It's an outstanding movie, but it seems like almost nobody saw it.

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Moonlight blew me away, thought it was the best movie of those nominated. But La La Land with 14 noms looks to have this on lockdown. The bittersweet lollipop movie that everyone needed after 2016, I guess.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

GonSmithe posted:

I think the concept of "A Netflix Original Film" was so alien to people in 2015 that they couldn't quite wrap their heads around it. (I mean, I think Beasts was actually Netflix's first-ever original film release.)

Obstacle2
Dec 21, 2004
feels good man

Timby posted:

I think the concept of "A Netflix Original Film" was so alien to people in 2015 that they couldn't quite wrap their heads around it. (I mean, I think Beasts was actually Netflix's first-ever original film release.)

If I recall correctly, Netflix bought the film after it was screened and then tried to have it run in theaters briefly and was essentially boycotted by the theater chains because it was going to debut simultaneously on Netflix.

Either this made it ineligible or the Academy snubbed it to discourage this.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Just going to cheer my boy Ove on from the sidelines. Cried the whole film through.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Obstacle2 posted:

If I recall correctly, Netflix bought the film after it was screened and then tried to have it run in theaters briefly and was essentially boycotted by the theater chains because it was going to debut simultaneously on Netflix.

Either this made it ineligible or the Academy snubbed it to discourage this.

This is almost certainly why Manchester by the Sea went to theaters.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Arkane posted:

Moonlight blew me away, thought it was the best movie of those nominated. But La La Land with 14 noms looks to have this on lockdown. The bittersweet lollipop movie that everyone needed after 2016, I guess.

It'd be insane to overlook Moonlight, which is why that will happen.

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

It'd be insane to overlook Moonlight, which is why that will happen.

It'll win 2 I think, Supporting Actor and Screenplay.

Has a shot at cinematography, and a very outside shot (<5%) at Best Picture. In order to have any chance, needs to win SAG Ensemble on Sunday night!

marioinblack
Sep 21, 2007

Number 1 Bullshit
I'm wondering if the Academy is going to step up and give foreign language to Asghar Farhadi because a gigantic rear end in a top hat is preventing him from being at the ceremony. I can't speak to the quality of the films because I haven't seen any of the nominees in that category, but I wouldn't be surprised if the Academy gave the POTUS a gigantic middle finger.

This might be your lesson on how to win an Oscar. Make a film and be horribly persecuted right after!

Turambar
Feb 20, 2001

A Túrin Turambar turun ambartanen
Grimey Drawer

InterrupterJones posted:

That must've been the part where Louise was talking to General Shang in her flashforward to the reception. I admit, I'm "that guy" who recognizes most classical pieces (it was Dvorak's String Serenade mvmt 4); but even if stupid audience members thought it was original scoring, you'd think the Academy would've realized it was likely used with permission.

Probably this piece:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVN1B-tUpgs

Not an "original" song, but tremendously good either way.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

It would be cool if the Oscars chilled with their Ars Poetica fetish for movies about movies.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Arkane posted:

It'll win 2 I think, Supporting Actor and Screenplay.

Has a shot at cinematography, and a very outside shot (<5%) at Best Picture. In order to have any chance, needs to win SAG Ensemble on Sunday night!

I dunno, I think Fences performing well at SAG might spell good things for Moonlight. Also, the ensemble went to wildcard Hidden Figures, which I don't see having as much traction at the Oscars but who knows

Both Manchester and La-la Land were nearly shut out, save for Emma Stone.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I legitimately think La La Land is the best picture of 2016. Moonlight comes very very close but I don't think it losing would be a travesty.

I will say that the Arrival had a very bland, austere look (Amy Adams is pale but she's not THAT pale) and its cinematography and art direction nods shoulda gone to The Love Witch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

Vegetable posted:

Samuel L. Jackson in Hateful Eight, Benicio Del Toro in Sicario, Chi-Raq, The Assassin, A Girl Walks Home Alone at Night, Girlhood, Tangerine

This is just a quick run through of some of the most acclaimed films of the year, including a couple that were nominated. I'll give you that it's a problem when minority filmmakers and actors need more presence and access to funding, but it's not like those films were non-existent, it's just that the Academy ignored them in favor of dreck like Brooklyn.

• Locked thread