Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Maxwell Lord posted:

I legitimately think La La Land is the best picture of 2016. Moonlight comes very very close but I don't think it losing would be a travesty.

I will say that the Arrival had a very bland, austere look (Amy Adams is pale but she's not THAT pale) and its cinematography and art direction nods shoulda gone to The Love Witch.

Also The Witch. (I haven't seen The Love Witch yet)

Is there some kind of submission criteria that creates a barrier for smaller films? Like is it just too much money and hassle to campaign for a movie like The Love Witch.

I remember reading that Jackie didn't even submit itself for hair & makeup. So I wonder if there's a degree of self selection at play with some of these movies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Paragon8 posted:

Also The Witch. (I haven't seen The Love Witch yet)

Is there some kind of submission criteria that creates a barrier for smaller films? Like is it just too much money and hassle to campaign for a movie like The Love Witch.

I remember reading that Jackie didn't even submit itself for hair & makeup. So I wonder if there's a degree of self selection at play with some of these movies.

Studios make decisions and schedule releases way ahead of time on stuff they want to put up for contention and then spend money accordingly.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

dont even fink about it posted:

Studios make decisions and schedule releases way ahead of time on stuff they want to put up for contention and then spend money accordingly.

Sure but in the case of excellent but very small movies like The Love Witch who don't have large studio/distributor backing if it is just a waste of time and money to campaign for the Oscars and they simply don't submit themselves for it.

The VVitch is distributed by A24 who have a pretty robust slate already so that probably means that its simply a case of them prioritising other movies they think will do better.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Well yeah The Love Witch realistically did not have a chance, though I thought the nominations were done by select committees and maybe a bunch of DPs would take notice of a movie that goes out of its way to capture a bygone film style. Sigh.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Maxwell Lord posted:

Well yeah The Love Witch realistically did not have a chance, though I thought the nominations were done by select committees and maybe a bunch of DPs would take notice of a movie that goes out of its way to capture a bygone film style. Sigh.

It's a shame because everything I've read about the technical production of The Love Witch was incredible. I imagine it'll become highly regarded in filmmaking circles.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

I'm choosing the funniest possible article I could find to describe the situation with the immigration EO and the Oscars:

http://www.vox.com/culture/2017/1/31/14426858/cancel-the-oscars

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I watched Lion today. It seemed like your typical kind of Oscar nominated film- decently well crafted with solid performances, but otherwise kind of inoffensive in all ways. At least, normally I'd say that but then again this recent nonsense from Trump about refugees perhaps makes the movie bolder than even the filmmakers intended.

Anyone else see it?

RaspberrySea
Nov 29, 2004
I saw it, and I really liked it. I mean, I can discuss La La Land and Moonlight and Silence more, but I enjoyed actually watching Lion more than those movies. I kinda felt the same way about Philomena a year or two ago. I know it's not the "best" movie up for the big awards, but it's the one that I had the better time watching. But at the same time, there's nothing really to talk about after.

I thought not seeing the title until the very end and then finding out what it meant was a really brilliant touch though. That really got me. There were sobs in the theatre at that point.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I wish movies like Lion would go on a little longer after the happy ending. It's not like everything is smooth sailing from that point on. And from what I've read they don't even get along that well today.

That war movie by Angelina Jolie did the same thing. The guy goes through years of torture before coming home. Then the movie ends and skips forward 40 years and shows the guy doing perfectly well as if he didn't suffer through PTSD and alcoholism.

RaspberrySea
Nov 29, 2004
The other adopted brother from Lion is definitely not happy about the movie.

china bot
Sep 7, 2014

you listen HERE pal
SAY GOODBYE TO TELEPHONE SEX
Plaster Town Cop
Has anyone else seen Elle? It was my favorite last year, and Isabelle Huppert deserves the nomination, but I have no expectation of her winning

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

china bot posted:

Has anyone else seen Elle? It was my favorite last year, and Isabelle Huppert deserves the nomination, but I have no expectation of her winning

I saw it, and I didn't like or dislike it. It just sort of made me feel nothing and I'm not exactly sure why.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

china bot posted:

Elle felt like the most emblematic film of 2016.

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe
Saw Hacksaw Ridge. Without knowing who were responsible, I thought the script and directing was pretty mediocre. Certainly would be disappointed if this was considered the best of the year. Andrew Garfield was good, but nothing remarkable.

What really did stand out for me was Hugo Weaving as his dad. I was sitting on nails every time he was on screen. Holy crap that was a good performance.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Yeah, it's entirely possible that the other Supporting nominees are better, but I'm sort of surprised that I hadn't heard much talk about how fantastic Hugo Weaving was. Amazing how he had such a commanding presence while also playing a pitiable, broken, and unlikable person. I did like the film a lot, and thought the direction had a few flashes of brilliance (especially in the battle scenes); I wouldn't call it deserving of a win, though.

Just saw The Salesman, and though it was quite good. I liked the enigmatically realistic characters, although I did think the film grew weaker as it went on and the story grew more focused. I imagine that this will win for Foreign Film, and that's probably okay, although from what I hear Toni Erdmann would be the favorite if voters were required to have seen the films.

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level
Just saw "Fences." I'm not sure if this is quite fair but my feeling when watching it was that it was the black Glengarry Glen Ross. It's basically a vehicle for Denzel Washington and Viola Davis to go on extended monologues and just basically act everyone else's faces off.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

twerking on the railroad posted:

Just saw "Fences." I'm not sure if this is quite fair but my feeling when watching it was that it was the black Glengarry Glen Ross. It's basically a vehicle for Denzel Washington and Viola Davis to go on extended monologues and just basically act everyone else's faces off.

I mean, sure, but I guess you could say similar things about Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf and nobody would be complaining about the results.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I haven't seen Fences yet but Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf? did try and add some cinematic touches to the material. Like that great tracking shot that ends with the fakeout where George grabs a rifle, where we think he's about to murder Martha but it only turns out to be a toy isn't in Albee's original play at all.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Raxivace posted:

I haven't seen Fences yet but Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf? did try and add some cinematic touches to the material. Like that great tracking shot that ends with the fakeout where George grabs a rifle, where we think he's about to murder Martha but it only turns out to be a toy isn't in Albee's original play at all.

I'll agree with you there, Haskel Wexler on DP brings some nice visuals that really compliment the material without overwhelming it.

edit; vvvvvvvv I hear ya

BeanpolePeckerwood fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Feb 4, 2017

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

I mean, sure, but I guess you could say similar things about Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf and nobody would be complaining about the results.

I didn't mean it like it was a bad thing. I mean that it's not usually fair to judge a film by immediate comparison to such a famous and star-studded piece.

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004
So, I'll caveat this with having not seen Lion yet, but it's pretty clear to me that Moonlight, La La Land, and Arrival are on another level than the rest of the nominees.

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich

aBagorn posted:

So, I'll caveat this with having not seen Lion yet, but it's pretty clear to me that Moonlight, La La Land, and Arrival are on another level than the rest of the nominees.

Manchester by the Sea was no slouch. I'd switch that and Arrival.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

twerking on the railroad posted:

Yeah to be fair Denzel has been wanting to get this movie made for a long time and its a shame that August Wilson died long before his wishes were granted in having his play adapted by a black director were made.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
I really would love to see a film adaptation of Joe Turner's Come and Gone or Two Trains Running. Those are the two plays in the Cycle that feel a bit confined by the lack of change in scenery and could really benefit from a looser film adaptation.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Moonlight was insanely good, holy crap.

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LwmEWNXIsNk

Short video with Moonlight's director talking Wong Kar Wai.

Seems so obvious in hindsight that the final scene of Moonlight was influenced by In the Mood for Love.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Arkane posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LwmEWNXIsNk

Short video with Moonlight's director talking Wong Kar Wai.

Seems so obvious in hindsight that the final scene of Moonlight was influenced by In the Mood for Love.

In the Mood for Love and Days of Being Wild were on my mind almost the whole movie.

WKW is a deity

Dire Chinchilla
Mar 27, 2013

Vegetable posted:

If there ever was a year, this should have been the one for including a different sort of film. The Handmaiden is heads and shoulders above most of the nominees. Funniest movie of the year Hunt for the Wilderpeople got shamefully overlooked even at the Globes (at least the HFPA had the guts to nominate Sing Street there). Toni Erdmann was an absolute favorite of the critics (still need to see it).

South Korea decided not to submit The Handmaiden, they went with some other movie (that was critically acclaimed too but wasn't even released in my country, so I can't judge it myself) and it ended up not being nominated. Good job, South Korea.

Meryl Streep is incapable of giving a bad performance, but Florence Foster Jenkins is such a painfully mediocre movie, if I were the Academy I'd be embarassed to nominate anybody involved in it.

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.
why was hacksaw ridge nominated for best picture, this is a serious question

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Kawabata posted:

why was hacksaw ridge nominated for best picture, this is a serious question

It's incredibly gory, but in a respected enough genre to get away with it.

Also, the basic message that you can be both a pacifist and a patriot fits the current political climate.

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.

Samuel Clemens posted:

It's incredibly gory, but in a respected enough genre to get away with it.

Also, the basic message that you can be both a pacifist and a patriot fits the current political climate.

It's hard to believe it comes from the same director that made Apocalypto. Movie is corny all around and (personal taste here) I can't stand Garfield's voice and his dumb looking giraffe neck. There, I said it. I know I know, they're marketing him as the new Shia, so here's to hoping his career goes the same way.

I mean it's Gibson, I didn't go in expecting a Bergman movie but his stuff used to be way more watchable back in the day. Simple, visceral movies with a punch. Gore aside, this thing is a piece of slow melodramatic trash.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I watched the trailer for Hacksaw Ridge before some other movie and it honestly looked like a fake parody trailer for the most generic oscar bait film ever made. You could not pay me to watch that poo poo

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Hakkesshu posted:

I watched the trailer for Hacksaw Ridge before some other movie and it honestly looked like a fake parody trailer for the most generic oscar bait film ever made. You could not pay me to watch that poo poo

Remember warhorse?

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

War Horse was good, haters be hating

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Vegetable posted:

War Horse was good, haters be hating
I do like the reason Meat Loaf voted it for BP was because it made him cry

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

achillesforever6 posted:

I do like the reason Meat Loaf voted it for BP was because it made him cry

I was kinda lukewarm on War Horse but the part where that blind guy whistles for the horse did make me tear up a little bit.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
When I first heard of Hacksaw Ridge it was an ad about "a soldier who fights... without guns" and I thought it was a movie about a dude who charged the battlefield with only a hacksaw. I wish that was the truth.

Obstacle2
Dec 21, 2004
feels good man
Because I hate myself I watched it twice because I wanted to see what everyone else sees in it.

Its just utter garbage, the only highlight is Hugo Weaving.

thatfatkid
Feb 20, 2011

by Azathoth
I quite liked Hacksaw Ridge. I don't think it's meant to be taken as a face-value realistic war movie, but instead as a literal representation of "war is hell". There's a line where the Avatar guy says to Vince Vaughn that Garfield will be going into hell etc. To me that's what the movie was trying to portray, the Japanese and the battlefield aren't meant to be realistic but instead representative of Hell and Devils. Also echoing that Hugo Weaving was great in it and his scenes alone made it worth watching.

Plus if American Sniper can get nominated for Best Picture, any shlocky war movie can. At least Hacksaw Ridge lionized an actual good person instead of a real life piece of poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

thatfatkid posted:

To me that's what the movie was trying to portray, the Japanese and the battlefield aren't meant to be realistic but instead representative of Hell and Devils.
I haven't seen Hacksaw Ridge yet but I feel like most of the popular World War II films treat the Axis powers as if they were demons instead of humans.

• Locked thread