Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
buddhanc
Feb 16, 2010

Zwabu posted:

Why would there even be two sets of envelopes for something like the Oscars? Seems like it's a setup for just such a thing to happen.

So they have a backup in case one gets stuck in traffic or set on fire or whatever.

There's a picture floating around twitter somewhere that shows one of the PwC accountants and Matt Damon together and they appear to be twins.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.
It's funny how Jordan Horowitz is being applauded for being classy and poo poo. I mean, he took it well enough considering the circumstances. But the dude just blocked Warren Beatty from the mic, ripped the card from him (and Kimmell who was about to check out the card too) aggressively, then proceeded to call the Moonlight people up the stage somewhat aggressively.

It made for a fun GIF and was pretty funny to watch live though.

Boosh!
Apr 12, 2002
Oven Wrangler
I don't know. It wasn't so much about being classy, rather it was the right move by him (or anyone) to be 100% serious and to the point and step aside. I feel like Kimmel would've been extra corny about it, taking ages to get to the point while throwing in his schtick.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Everyone looks classy next to Kimmel. Plus Warren Beatty shoulda got the gently caress outta there.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Constellation I posted:

It's funny how Jordan Horowitz is being applauded for being classy and poo poo. I mean, he took it well enough considering the circumstances. But the dude just blocked Warren Beatty from the mic, ripped the card from him (and Kimmell who was about to check out the card too) aggressively, then proceeded to call the Moonlight people up the stage somewhat aggressively.

When the winner was first announced I went out of the room to go brush my teeth, and when I got back all I saw were the celebs standing around looking confused and shocked and this bald guy grabbing at the mic looking as though he wanted to kill someone.

My first thought was that one of the La-La producers used the acceptance speech opportunity to tear into Trump or something and Kimmell and the other guy was out there doing damage control.

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.

Boosh! posted:

I don't know. It wasn't so much about being classy, rather it was the right move by him (or anyone) to be 100% serious and to the point and step aside. I feel like Kimmel would've been extra corny about it, taking ages to get to the point while throwing in his schtick.

I don't know either. I would have rather had somebody not involved in either movie step in, calm everyone down and mention there was a mistake. I'd actually preferred Kimmel to slow things down and break up the action a little bit. At least that way the Moonlight people wouldn't have had been rushed to make their acceptance speeches.

Apparently, the protocol when this happens is that as soon as the wrong announcement is made, the other PwC accountant would need to immediately run to the podium and make the correct announcement, preventing anyone else from coming up. Not so sure if that would've worked out since I don't think PwC ever actually expected any of this from happening since it's been so long. Doesn't seem like a great plan either.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Constellation I posted:

The longer they were up there the more embarassing it would be for everyone involved. Beatty was still shellshocked and Kimmel was starting to get funny. Dude did the right thing and ended it then and there.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Constellation I posted:

I mean, I don't think the guy needs articles written about him for doing it or whatever, but it's way easier for everyone to play the "anyone would have done it" card like some are today because I'd venture to guess most people would just angrily saunter off.

The aggression, to me, had less to do with him being mad and more that everyone was confused as gently caress so he was just being as direct as possible, which is what was necessary right there IMO. I wouldn't count on Beatty for poo poo in that moment because him and Dunaway seemed lost as gently caress from the minute they stepped to the mic and Kimmel was in the background spouting poo poo like "you should just keep it"

It's an unfortunate situation and the guy doesn't need constant praise like he seems to be getting today, but he handled a really weird and lovely situation as well as you could expect. Like he said last night, he's a producer, so when poo poo goes wrong his first instinct is to step in and fix the situation.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

a film that enriched white people by depicting white men mansplaining black culture to white women gets embarrassed by old white america but graciously hands the baton to gay black america which feels shafted by all this poo poo and nobody is happy

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Kimmel was definitely the worst during the whole thing. Everyone was legitimately confused and trying to gather their headspace and he just kept lobbing the lowest effort jokes.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Michelle Williams had the best performance of any actor I saw this year. She should have won.

Sir Potato
May 26, 2012

PO-TAY-TOES
Boil 'em, mash 'em, cook 'em in a stew
Pretty sure the meltdown on pages 40 - 41 is the best meltdown on these forums since the unspoiled Game of Thrones TVIV thread.

Didn't do as well on my predictions as I imagined, partly because I don't think Stone and Affleck deserve their awards, even remotely, and film editing for Hacksaw Ridge is the biggest joke the Oscars have ever done. I had Moonlight originally and changed it because I genuinely didn't think the Academy would give it to them but I am so glad they did, even if it was amidst the biggest catastrophe for the directors of the Oscars ever.

Kimmel nailed it, though.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Kimmel rules.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I liked Kimmel a lot, but the show dragged this year. If they bring him back, hopefully it will be more energetic next time.

fwiw I think the La La Land crew did indeed handle the situation about as graciously as they could, really. I mean imagine winning Best Picture, getting all to like the end of your speech and being told you didn't actually win. That would loving suck.

marioinblack
Sep 21, 2007

Number 1 Bullshit

The Dave posted:

Kimmel was definitely the worst during the whole thing. Everyone was legitimately confused and trying to gather their headspace and he just kept lobbing the lowest effort jokes.

I think he was so shell shocked that he went with what he knew best. It's hard to blame anyone other than whoever double printed the Best Actress card. La La Land producer did a good job shutting it down and handing the award over.

I thought Kimmel was fine overall though. Some of the gags were stinkers, but the Matt Damon stuff was legit fun, and he managed to stick the landing on a few jokes.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

The Dave posted:

I thought overall he was a pretty great host (although the airdropped food gag got pretty old) but he's never been great at handling things when they go completely off-script like they did at the end there. I give him credit for trying to wrangle it as best he could, though -- he's gone a long way from the premiere of his late-night show fifteen years ago, when he had gotten so completely drunk with Snoop in the green room that they were incoherently putting things in a deep fryer and Adam Carolla had to come on-stage from the audience to keep him from burning the studio down.

The trend of audience participation stuff (pizza delivery, PB&J sandwiches, the stupid tour bus gag) really needs to end, though.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

Vegetable posted:

white men mansplaining black culture to white women

This is a dumb post.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

I'll be on record as saying that Matt Damon jokes will never get old.

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007

Cacator posted:

Kimmel's We Bought a Zoo bit actually made that whole series of bits worth it.

Not Al-Qaeda
Mar 20, 2012
Academy Award Winning Suicide Squad

poo poo am i late

Mean Bean Machine
May 9, 2008

Only when I breathe.

Vegetable posted:

a film that enriched white people by depicting white men mansplaining black culture to white women gets embarrassed by old white america but graciously hands the baton to gay black america which feels shafted by all this poo poo and nobody is happy

Ugh gently caress off

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Cacator posted:

I'll second this. Kimmel was probably right in the middle as a host, but his running joke fits perfectly with the Oscars.

Just a reminder of how the Kimmel/Damon feud kicked into high gear:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eSfoF6MhgLA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TwIyLHsk2h4

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
:siren: And here are the results of the Oscar Contest! :siren:

quote:

Timby - 11
Coaaab - 10
Shneak - 17
Estratetraenol - 9
Egbert Souse - 12 (would be 13 but you guessed "La La Land" for best song instead of picking one)
Harlock - 14
InterrupterJones - 9
dont even fink about it - 17
Drunk Nerds - 16
DC Murderverse - 13
Allyn - 16

A couple of you forgot to include all the categories which was pretty silly of you.

The categories that had the least correct answers were Best Makeup (only Allyn guessed correctly), the two sound categories, and Best Costuming (only two correct answers). Best Picture also only had two or three correct guesses.

So the winners are Shneak and dont even fink about it! Shneak please post in the thread what you'd like (because I can't PM you), and DEFAI please PM me what you would like.

Thanks for participating all those who did and better luck next year!

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

DC Murderverse posted:

I'll second this. Kimmel was probably right in the middle as a host, but his running joke fits perfectly with the Oscars.

Just a reminder of how the Kimmel/Damon feud kicked into high gear:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eSfoF6MhgLA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TwIyLHsk2h4

This is also a thing that happened:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uP4d9YtzkXk

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

CapnAndy posted:

I feel like what happens is Beatty opens the envelope, sees the card, and immediately knows he's got the wrong card, and has no idea what to do now, so he sorta freezes up. Everything he does, the looking offstage, then to the card, then out into the crowd, then the card at a new angle, he's trying to find the person who's gonna tell him what the gently caress to do. The problem is that he's showing nobody else the card and saying nothing, so to everyone else -- including Dunaway -- it looks like he's doing a "ha ha I'm not telling anyone the winner" shtick. And so when she rips the card away from him, it's because she's out of patience with his little gag, so she just looks for a movie name and reads it out loud.

Which just goes to show just how much had to go wrong for the whole thing to happen; if they open the card together or Beatty isn't too shocked to say literally anything at all ("this isn't right", "I think I have the wrong card here", "why does this say Emma Stone", anything), they still could have averted disaster at the last moment. It really took a perfect storm to get the wrong winner named on air.

Assuming all the papers are printed the same way, all of them should have a footnote with the award they belong to - if you look at the paper you'll see it says Best Picture under the name of the producers. Faye obviously just read the name of the movie aloud and didn't stop at the small letters or the fact that the paper only listed one person in it

Beatty should've just done like Aisha Tyler on the Daytime Emmys and mentioned the misshap on air tbh

e: looks like one of the accountants grabbed an envelope from the wrong pile

Ignis fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Feb 28, 2017

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

GonSmithe posted:

A couple of you forgot to include all the categories which was pretty silly of you.

The categories that had the least correct answers were Best Makeup (only Allyn guessed correctly), the two sound categories, and Best Costuming (only two correct answers). Best Picture also only had two or three correct guesses.

So the winners are Shneak and dont even fink about it! Shneak please post in the thread what you'd like (because I can't PM you), and DEFAI please PM me what you would like.

Thanks for participating all those who did and better luck next year!

I noticed halfway through the ceremony I missed the documentary lines off the Wikipedia list and would've been right in one of my two guesses there, I am a dumbass :(

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

One thing I noticed when Ben Affleck and Matt Damon came out to present, and they were jokingly playing Damon off during his intro, I think Damon was actually a little upset. It seemed like he was thinking, "Come on, stop loving around, we're actually giving out an award right now."

And I'd agree. :colbert:

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Bringing Matt a little stool for this one was great

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPOSmWicUpg

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Matt Damon and Ben Affleck are why sexual assault person Casey Affleck has an Oscar today. They basically pulled all the stops to minimize media coverage of his misdeeds. Pretty hosed up

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

Josh Lyman posted:

One thing I noticed when Ben Affleck and Matt Damon came out to present, and they were jokingly playing Damon off during his intro, I think Damon was actually a little upset. It seemed like he was thinking, "Come on, stop loving around, we're actually giving out an award right now."

And I'd agree. :colbert:

I think Damon might have had some heads up for that one. He kept vamping for like 20 seconds while the camera panned down to Kimmel in the orchestra pit.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Best moment was when Moonlight deservedly won against all odds.

Second best moment was Ryan Gosling's sister's amazing boobs.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Second best moment was Ryan Gosling's sister's amazing boobs.
What is he even talking about I don't remember anything like that

*gis*

I wonder how Ryan felt about that dress.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Listening to Vanity Fair's post-Oscars podcast, literally NONE of them, including the ones on the live immediate post-Oscars webcast, knew that there were 2 sets of envelopes.

Except there's famously an article from VANITY FAIR ITSELF that discusses the vote counting process and the fact there are 2 sets of envelopes.

I guess this is what happens in a post-blogging world when your "journalists" are actually just smug millenials who make Milgram and Zapruder references while not actually knowing anything about what their purported field of expertise.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Josh Lyman posted:

I guess this is what happens in a post-blogging world when your "journalists" are actually just smug millenials who make Milgram and Zapruder references while not actually knowing anything about what their purported field of expertise.

Pfft, I prefer Zapruder's earlier films

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Josh Lyman posted:

Listening to Vanity Fair's post-Oscars podcast, literally NONE of them, including the ones on the live immediate post-Oscars webcast, knew that there were 2 sets of envelopes.

Except there's famously an article from VANITY FAIR ITSELF that discusses the vote counting process and the fact there are 2 sets of envelopes.

The last like 6 years they showed the two people with briefcases during the ceremony to explain that's exactly how they do it.

Not Al-Qaeda
Mar 20, 2012
were there any good and infuriating voting choice explanations from oscar voters this year that one website usually does

RaspberrySea
Nov 29, 2004
Someone voted for Suicide Squad for best make-up because Margot Robbie is hot.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

MorgaineDax posted:

Someone voted for Suicide Squad for best make-up because Margot Robbie is hot.

Yeah, no.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

The movie has great makeup, but there is a dude who pointed to Robbie being hot as one of his reasons.

fwiw I think the movie deserved the win, as hilarious as SS winning an Oscar is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.

GonSmithe posted:

Awesome, I thought I bombed.

That's a sign that I should get platinum.

• Locked thread