Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Moonlight blew me away, thought it was the best movie of those nominated. But La La Land with 14 noms looks to have this on lockdown. The bittersweet lollipop movie that everyone needed after 2016, I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

It'd be insane to overlook Moonlight, which is why that will happen.

It'll win 2 I think, Supporting Actor and Screenplay.

Has a shot at cinematography, and a very outside shot (<5%) at Best Picture. In order to have any chance, needs to win SAG Ensemble on Sunday night!

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich

aBagorn posted:

So, I'll caveat this with having not seen Lion yet, but it's pretty clear to me that Moonlight, La La Land, and Arrival are on another level than the rest of the nominees.

Manchester by the Sea was no slouch. I'd switch that and Arrival.

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LwmEWNXIsNk

Short video with Moonlight's director talking Wong Kar Wai.

Seems so obvious in hindsight that the final scene of Moonlight was influenced by In the Mood for Love.

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich
If there were 10 total movies made a year, maybe they'd have a point. The nomination process already picks down to what the membership considers the 6 to 10 best of the year. Being the consensus 2nd or 3rd choice from a top 10 out of 500 is not a recipe for mediocrity or safety lol. Birdman was loving risky, I mean think about that screenplay and that production, that was an insane movie. Even Spotlight was dicey for the producers (reporters & priest sex is not a recipe for box office lol). *Nobody* wanted to make La La Land. If you give more than 30 seconds of thought to their video, it is idiotic.

And yeah, Crash barely beat Brokeback that year, Good Night and Good Luck wasn't even in the picture. If they had instant runoff voting, Crash might've had an even better chance to win....it's unclear without knowing exact totals.

One thing on that video...I have a fairly sophisticated method to predict what films will win Best Picture (I used to bet heavily on them), and one thing I was playing around with was a qualitative "home field" addition to certain films. Birdman, La La Land, even Boyhood would get "home field" bumps because they're essentially movies that play on the home field. poo poo even Crash could have some home field, because its set in Los Angeles, where a lot of voters reside. I never could quite crack the bonus, though, because the correlation was a little hazy (a lot of the films do not win).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Incredible and welcome upset by Moonlight!

• Locked thread