Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Maxwell Lord posted:

I legitimately think La La Land is the best picture of 2016. Moonlight comes very very close but I don't think it losing would be a travesty.

I will say that the Arrival had a very bland, austere look (Amy Adams is pale but she's not THAT pale) and its cinematography and art direction nods shoulda gone to The Love Witch.

Also The Witch. (I haven't seen The Love Witch yet)

Is there some kind of submission criteria that creates a barrier for smaller films? Like is it just too much money and hassle to campaign for a movie like The Love Witch.

I remember reading that Jackie didn't even submit itself for hair & makeup. So I wonder if there's a degree of self selection at play with some of these movies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

dont even fink about it posted:

Studios make decisions and schedule releases way ahead of time on stuff they want to put up for contention and then spend money accordingly.

Sure but in the case of excellent but very small movies like The Love Witch who don't have large studio/distributor backing if it is just a waste of time and money to campaign for the Oscars and they simply don't submit themselves for it.

The VVitch is distributed by A24 who have a pretty robust slate already so that probably means that its simply a case of them prioritising other movies they think will do better.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Maxwell Lord posted:

Well yeah The Love Witch realistically did not have a chance, though I thought the nominations were done by select committees and maybe a bunch of DPs would take notice of a movie that goes out of its way to capture a bygone film style. Sigh.

It's a shame because everything I've read about the technical production of The Love Witch was incredible. I imagine it'll become highly regarded in filmmaking circles.

• Locked thread