Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Spatulater bro! posted:

I haven't seen Hacksaw Ridge, but Andrew Garfield must have been really loving good it in given how great he was in Silence.

I mean presumably in Hacksaw Ridge he doesn't have to try and convince you that he's Portuguese.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

ruddiger posted:

What range has Casey Affleck showed other than "socially awkward creep"?

I think "socially awkward creep," while accurate, is selling his performance in Assassination of Jesse James short. Regardless, he also did a great job as a neo-noir protagonist in Gone Baby Gone.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Here in America, everyone's just patting themselves on the back for nominating more than two black people.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Vegetable posted:

It's partly an instinctive response to last year, but this year also had a ton more quality black films. Last year was just Creed and Straight Outta Compton. This year's black contenders are better and white films were on the whole weaker.

there was also Beasts of No Nation which Idris Elba got completely robbed for.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

GonSmithe posted:

I still can't believe that they were so petty about it being a Netflix movie that they completely snubbed it.

I mean, I CAN believe it, but it's complete bullshit.

I don't know whether AMPAS is to blame or the movie theater chains who refused to carry it, really. It's an outstanding movie, but it seems like almost nobody saw it.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

achillesforever6 posted:

I do like the reason Meat Loaf voted it for BP was because it made him cry

I was kinda lukewarm on War Horse but the part where that blind guy whistles for the horse did make me tear up a little bit.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I didn't think Selma was that great either. It's a solid B+ movie. Great cinematography though.

GonSmithe posted:

Steve Yun, You gonna tell me 12 Years a Slave has no "artistry" either?

12 Years a Slave is like a thousand times better than Selma.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Mad Max probably deserved it but honestly I couldn't be mad about Spotlight winning, Spotlight was really good. If The Big Short had won like I thought it was going to, that'd be bullshit.

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

edit; though I'd still take The Insider over spotlight.

oh definitely.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Detective Dog Dick posted:

I never really got the love for The Big Short. Inside Job gives a more concise and damning explanation of the collapse without feeling like a Very Special Episode of a sitcom.

Ditto Margin Call.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I liked everything I've seen that was nominated for best picture - I enjoyed Hacksaw Ridge, Arrival, Manchester by the Sea, and Hell or High Water - but the only one that cracks my top ten for the year is Moonlight, and just barely.

Hacksaw Ridge was really solid classical war movie style filmmaking but with Gibson's distinctly modern flair for portraying gruesome violence - I said it in Gen Chat, but I honestly think he might be one of the best directors of violence ever. The cinematography and editing were very good, Andrew Garfield and Hugo Weaving were both great, and it was nice to see a war movie that at least somewhat valorizes nonviolence. The ending was a little clumsy but that was my only real complaint.

Uncle Boogeyman fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Feb 26, 2017

• Locked thread