Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Prefer this list for nominees for original music: http://birthmoviesdeath.com/2017/01/24/birth.movies.death.-alternate-oscars-best-score-and-song

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Seriously, the only reason why Sing Street isn't on the list and La La Land is because its about Hollywood / has big stars.

Its a loving travesty.

Also the guy behind Drive and Neon Bible's soundtracks never being recognized for poo poo.

EDIT: At this point Meryl Streep is stopping the recognition of younger stars.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

This is exactly what I was thinking. Yeah, people snub those types of love stories unless the characters suffer or die.

Also Johan Johannsen.

Isn't that what good acting is?!??!

Also someone pretending to be an oppressed minority, while suffering/dying

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

This is exactly what I was thinking. Yeah, people snub those types of love stories unless the characters suffer or die.

Also Johan Johannsen.

There's sound mixing I guess but that doesn't qualify, right? The music on Arrival was perfect and unique.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Re the Hollywood reapproachment with Gibson, it in no way coincides with his recent signing with CAA, after breaking it off with his long-term manager. To suggest otherwise....would be pish posh!

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Steve Yun posted:

Think back over the years about all the films that got nominated because of the underlying story being respectable and not because of any exceptional artistry in the crafting of the film. Hidden Figures, Imitation Game, Selma, etc.

You know after avoiding it like the plague cuz of the all the talk about it not deserving an Oscar, caught most of the Danish Girl on HBO.

Not bad. Not the best of the year material, but a pretty affecting story.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

china bot posted:

the problem is that working in Hollywood, at least in a capacity that allows you to get invited to join the Academy, doesn't require you to have any scholarly sense of what makes a film objectively good or bad.

i remember Ben Lyons, a paid critic, saying that you only notice editing when it's bad. obviously he's a loving moron, but do you think most of the actors/actresses voting have any idea what makes good editing? extrapolate that to pretty much every category. the background in film history & theory that you need to properly appreciate & contextualize a film goes out the window when you spend your 20s at the Royal Tampa Academy of Dramatic Tricks.

quote:

The last three ballots kind of cover the entire range of attitudes towards voting. There’s Voter #5 who gives us gems like “I didn’t get around to seeing any of them. You want the truth? I shouldn’t have voted, but I did.” about the Best Foreign Language Film category

http://www.pajiba.com/miscellaneous/more-brutally-honest-oscar-voters-confirm-all-your-worst-suspicions.php

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Josh Lyman posted:

The details matter here.

Three strikes in California is 25 to life and he got out after 20. So it was never a life sentence.

Also, you're conflating me with the other posters who focused on the length of his prison terms.

I simply pointed out that he had been convicted of numerous serious crimes and probably not a good guy.

quote:

I spent this afternoon laughing and crying with Gary and Vicky,” public defender Karen Nash posted Monday on Facebook. “For those of you who missed it, I spent years working on Gary’s case. He got a life sentence for stealing perfume in 1997, and we finally won release this year. He got out on Friday, and was sight seeing with his lovely fiancé Vicky. If you watched the Oscars, you know the rest.”

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/gossip/la-et-mg-oscars-gary-from-chicago-prison-20170228-htmlstory.html

I don't know you irl, but you seem like a sucky person.

edit; yeah there are other crimes, but he did his time and more. Ascribing his worth based on crimes based on poverty is loving terrible. He did his time.

• Locked thread