Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Slavvy posted:

Saw this thread, saw the nominee list, have a question: why is hell or high water so critically acclaimed? All I saw was a boring, formulaic heist type movie where nothing much interesting happened populated by uninteresting characters and also jeff bridges.

It wouldn't be so critically acclaimed if not for the presence of Bridges, I don't think there's any argument there. But Bridges gives a great performance, and when you throw in another really solid performance by Foster and some really excellent cinematography you're in Oscar territory.

Cinematography is a big thing with the Oscars. If you pair great cinematography with a great performance that's probably the best Oscar formula you can have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Obstacle2 posted:

I'm really confused by all the praise I've seen from Hacksaw Ridge and to now see it has 6 Oscar nominations.

I generally enjoy watching almost everything I see, and I've enjoyed Mel's other films but I just found this one to be utter trash. To me, Hugo Weaving was the only good part of that film. Kind of a weak year in general I guess for the Oscars.

I've been getting the feeling that Hollywood has wanted to "officially" bring Gibson back into the fold for a while now, this is just the first real opportunity they've had. He hasn't directed anything since Apocalypto.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

ruddiger posted:

What range has Casey Affleck showed other than "socially awkward creep"?

He plays a pretty amazing creep though doesn't he? Assassination of Jesse James is such a great performance.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Here in America, everyone's just patting themselves on the back for nominating more than two black people.

The whole thing is so transparent. Wow, just one year after the Oscars was roundly criticized for being 100% white, all of the sudden we're setting records for black nominees. Its a total coincidence, it just so happens that no people of color were deserving of a nomination last year!

• Locked thread