Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Mu Zeta posted:

Hacksaw is ok. But Holllywood loves a comeback story with Mel.

It's kind of a manufactured comeback, since they're the ones who blacklisted him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Basebf555 posted:

The whole thing is so transparent. Wow, just one year after the Oscars was roundly criticized for being 100% white, all of the sudden we're setting records for black nominees. Its a total coincidence, it just so happens that no people of color were deserving of a nomination last year!

It was two years in a row, wasn't it? Alongside record low viewing numbers.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

dont even fink about it posted:

Standard TV is practically dead, so expect that trend to continue. The viewership, not the No Black People.

Oh, I know. But it, alongside the third factor of virttually none of the nominees being financially successful or even widely seen, all added up to an image of the oscars being badly out of touch, which they obviously are.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Raxivace posted:

I haven't seen Hacksaw Ridge yet but I feel like most of the popular World War II films treat the Axis powers as if they were demons instead of humans.

This is definitely true when it comes to depictions of the Japanese. The Nazis are an army, while the Japanese are a horde.

Vegetable posted:

A film that humanizes Nazis would get so much left-wing flak this day and age.

Fury came out two years ago, and it did not. I think the third act from a different, worse movie, made people forget about the much better first two thirds.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
Selma is really good, what the gently caress?

• Locked thread