Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Obstacle2 posted:

He could have at least been less heavy-handed as Spielberg. It seriously fucks with my head that people think of this movie as accurate and impactful. Who the gently caress relates to Desmond Doss? Who thinks those combat sequences are remotely accurate?

Which parts are you referring to? I related to him being a goofball around his eventual wife, I'm sure a lot other people can relate to him wanting to serve his country but not want to take lives and instead save them. As for the combat sequences it's a Hollywood movie, heck I often ask why people think Saving Private Ryan is so good since it is just as bad for action scenes. I thought the point of the movie was to let people know you don't need to gun people down to be a good person, but I also agree that there were a few things I found really stupid such as Doss smacking a hand grenade away, or the subsequent christ imagery as his stretcher goes down the escarpment. If it hadn't been for the clips after the fact from Doss and the other members from his company that last shot would've ruined the movie for me.

I say all this as someone who liked the movie and even I was surprised the film got so many nominations, best picture? poo poo after American Sniper you may as well nominate the film about the medal of honor winner who never touched a firearm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Harlock posted:

I'd like to hear some opinions of people who saw and liked Hacksaw Ridge. I'm doing the Best Picture Showcase and it seemed universally reviled. Everything just seemed amateurish. The tone is all over the place, the script is laughable at parts, and the endless Jesus shots wore thin by the end.

I've said it in here but if it had just been "another war movie" I would have ignored it, in fact I did ignore it until I saw Mel Gibson was directing it so I was curious what got him out the black zone. The actual person it is based around is pretty much the only reason why I went to see it and had it not been for the ending where you are told "yes we didn't make this up" I probably would've written it off as a typical Hollywood WWII film that this time happens to star a medic who doesn't want to shoot anyone. I still say that the movie is not amazing (but at the same time I don't know why everyone says Saving Private Ryan is so amazing so whatever) but I appreciate it because it brought Doss' story to the public and I feel that stories like his should always be known because otherwise we just have action movie after action movie where we are glorifying violence. I mean, it still does glorify violence but he's a combat medic so

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

idgi

• Locked thread