Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

CapnAndy posted:

I feel like what happens is Beatty opens the envelope, sees the card, and immediately knows he's got the wrong card, and has no idea what to do now, so he sorta freezes up. Everything he does, the looking offstage, then to the card, then out into the crowd, then the card at a new angle, he's trying to find the person who's gonna tell him what the gently caress to do. The problem is that he's showing nobody else the card and saying nothing, so to everyone else -- including Dunaway -- it looks like he's doing a "ha ha I'm not telling anyone the winner" shtick. And so when she rips the card away from him, it's because she's out of patience with his little gag, so she just looks for a movie name and reads it out loud.

Which just goes to show just how much had to go wrong for the whole thing to happen; if they open the card together or Beatty isn't too shocked to say literally anything at all ("this isn't right", "I think I have the wrong card here", "why does this say Emma Stone", anything), they still could have averted disaster at the last moment. It really took a perfect storm to get the wrong winner named on air.

Assuming all the papers are printed the same way, all of them should have a footnote with the award they belong to - if you look at the paper you'll see it says Best Picture under the name of the producers. Faye obviously just read the name of the movie aloud and didn't stop at the small letters or the fact that the paper only listed one person in it

Beatty should've just done like Aisha Tyler on the Daytime Emmys and mentioned the misshap on air tbh

e: looks like one of the accountants grabbed an envelope from the wrong pile

Ignis fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Feb 28, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread