Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kangra
May 7, 2012

Yeah, it's entirely possible that the other Supporting nominees are better, but I'm sort of surprised that I hadn't heard much talk about how fantastic Hugo Weaving was. Amazing how he had such a commanding presence while also playing a pitiable, broken, and unlikable person. I did like the film a lot, and thought the direction had a few flashes of brilliance (especially in the battle scenes); I wouldn't call it deserving of a win, though.

Just saw The Salesman, and though it was quite good. I liked the enigmatically realistic characters, although I did think the film grew weaker as it went on and the story grew more focused. I imagine that this will win for Foreign Film, and that's probably okay, although from what I hear Toni Erdmann would be the favorite if voters were required to have seen the films.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Anyone see the Live Action Shorts? I thought it was a solid field; no real stand-outs, and not really any bad ones. Probably any one of them could win, outside of Timecode (it's more of a high-concept joke short). If people vote political I'd bet Ennemis Intérieures wins (though it very badly fumbles at the end), and I think I'd like to see Mindenki (Sing) take it. Silent Nights could have easily been stretched to a feature that I'd watch.

As for animated, I'd bet Borrowed Time wins because it's Pixar and also very good (I haven't seen all of the competition, though).

• Locked thread