Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god
All in all I'm glad with the nominees this year. The only disappointment for me is that The Innocents didn't get a single nod. It was not only the best film all year, but is one of the best I've ever seen. Is it because it seems too similar to Ida to the Academy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Cacator posted:

I saw an article saying Arrival was disqualified for some bullshit reason about its use of a classical piece that stupid audience members would think was part of the original score.

That must've been the part where Louise was talking to General Shang in her flashforward to the reception. I admit, I'm "that guy" who recognizes most classical pieces (it was Dvorak's String Serenade mvmt 4); but even if stupid audience members thought it was original scoring, you'd think the Academy would've realized it was likely used with permission.

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

I guess there's no better place to do a top 10:

1. The Innocents
2. Moonlight
3. Silence
4. The Lobster
5. 13th
6. Arrival
7. A Man Called Ove
8. La La Land
9. Love and Friendship
10. Hunt for the Wilderpeople

Honestly, there were so many great movies this year I could do a top 20. There are still plenty that I need to see, but these are the ones that have stood out the most so far.

As far as the Oscars themselves, I didn't get to see all of them this year. That's mainly due to the fact that my wife and I had a baby a couple of weeks ago. Here's the extent of what I can gather from what I have seen:

-Moonlight better win best picture, adapted screenplay, and supporting actor. Best director would be pretty sweet too.
-La La Land better not win best actor or actress, but I kinda hope it does win best score, best director, best production design, and maybe best original screenplay.
-This was a truly miserable year for animated feature films on the whole, so I'd say Kubo and the Two Strings deserves the win purely for the art style.
-Amy Adams wasn't nominated for Arrival so frankly I don't give a poo poo about who wins best actress.
-A Man Called Ove deserves to win every category for which it's nominated.
-Andrew Garfield should've been nominated for Silence instead of Hacksaw Ridge, and Ryan Gosling should've been nominated for The Nice Guys instead of La La Land. As it stands, Denzel will probably win for Fences.

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Best picture: Moonlight
Best Director: Barry Jenkins
Best Actor: Denzel Washington
Best Actress: Natalie Portman
Best Supporting Actor: Mahershala Ali
Best Supporting Actress: Viola Davis
Best Animated Film: Kubo and the Two Strings
Best Costume Design: Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them
Best Production Design: La La Land
Best Cinematography: Silence
Best Documentary: 13th
Best Film Editing: Arrival
Best Foreign Language Film: A Man Called Ove
Best Makeup and Hairstyling: Star Trek Beyond
Best Original Score: La La Land
Best Song: Audition (The Fools Who Dream)
Best Live Action Short Film: Ennemi Interieurs
Best Animated Short Film: Pear Cider and Cigarettes
Best Documentary Short Subject: Joe's Violin
Best Sound Editing: Arrival
Best Sound Mixing: Arrival
Best Visual Effects: Kubo and the Two Strings
Best Adapted Screenplay: Moonlight
Best Original Screenplay: La La Land

I admittedly haven't seen most of these categories (short film, documentaries, etc) so a lot of these are just stabs in the dark. I do, however, have a good feeling about Moonlight being the best of all things this year.

• Locked thread