Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

The Swiss media was ecstatic when they heard about the country scoring two nominations, so it's definitely not just a British thing. Europe as a whole seems to care a lot more about the Oscars than any other award show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Kawabata posted:

why was hacksaw ridge nominated for best picture, this is a serious question

It's incredibly gory, but in a respected enough genre to get away with it.

Also, the basic message that you can be both a pacifist and a patriot fits the current political climate.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Obstacle2 posted:

Hacksaw Ridge felt like a propaganda movie brought out of the mid-20th century into 2016.

Well, Gibson did list Saving Private Ryan as one of his influences.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Not only is Pitt in the film for about five minutes at most, there's nothing bad about his performance except maybe the accent.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Sounds like democracy as usual.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I liked it. It's nasty in a way not many war films are; probably the closest we'll ever get to Dario Argento directing a WW2 movie.

Edit: Now that I think about it, Fulci would probably have been a better comparison.

Samuel Clemens fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Feb 26, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Harlock posted:

I appreciate hearing your opinions. I can see where you're coming from, but the violence to me was over the top to the point of parody/comedy. Kung Fu grenade kick included.

Oh, I agree, it's extremely over the top. But I think that was the intention. Trying to realistically capture warfare from the point of view of a soldier is a futile experience because the audience as neutral observer is too far removed from the events. So Gibson abandons realism in favour of showing the emotional experience: confusion, fear, anger, even brief moments of heroic levity like the grenade kick. It's like he's trying to do an expressionist rendition of battle, and while I don't think he succeeds entirely, I find the attempt admirable.

• Locked thread