Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I'm really behind on my big Oscar movies this year it seems- of the BP nominees I've only seen two- Arrival and Hell or High Water. The latter of those I didn't even see until after the nominees were announced. I would have liked to see Silence get a BP nom but alas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I watched Lion today. It seemed like your typical kind of Oscar nominated film- decently well crafted with solid performances, but otherwise kind of inoffensive in all ways. At least, normally I'd say that but then again this recent nonsense from Trump about refugees perhaps makes the movie bolder than even the filmmakers intended.

Anyone else see it?

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I haven't seen Fences yet but Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf? did try and add some cinematic touches to the material. Like that great tracking shot that ends with the fakeout where George grabs a rifle, where we think he's about to murder Martha but it only turns out to be a toy isn't in Albee's original play at all.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Moonlight was insanely good, holy crap.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

thatfatkid posted:

To me that's what the movie was trying to portray, the Japanese and the battlefield aren't meant to be realistic but instead representative of Hell and Devils.
I haven't seen Hacksaw Ridge yet but I feel like most of the popular World War II films treat the Axis powers as if they were demons instead of humans.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

GonSmithe posted:

Steve Yun, You gonna tell me 12 Years a Slave has no "artistry" either?
I don't think Armond White has an account here, Gon.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Nebraska was my personal favorite of that year.

I like 12 Years a Slave but I kind of feel like it needed to be connected to modern times more, if the number of white people I know that walked out of the movie saying "Well thank god racism is over now here in America and all that slavery stuff is in the past" are any indication. That being said I'm not sure how that could have been done in a way that would work with telling Solomon Northup's story specifically.

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Feb 18, 2017

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Except that it's pretty much the only high profile film about American slavery that indicts Christianity as a central component of the success of said institution, which basically represents a major change in historical interpretation, at least where cinema is concerned.
Eh, there was Spielberg's Amistad too though I don't think its as good as 12YAS either in that aspect or as a film.

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 10:11 on Feb 18, 2017

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

That it also addressed religion as part of what allowed slavery to spread, though like I said I don't think it did it as well as 12YAS.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I think the distracting part is that its Brad Pitt, more than it being a white guy.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I would have understood Spotlight winning if it had come out in 2005, though I don't think it would have aged super well. In 2015 it just feels blander than a movie about something so horrible should be- like it shouldn't be so easy to watch.

I'll always think its funny that Tom McCarthy directed it though, considering the character he played on The Wire.

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Feb 19, 2017

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Detective Dog Dick posted:

Spotlight was a hell of a lot better than The Revenant and The Martian at any rate.
I thought Revenant's focus on aesthetics was more engaging than anything in Spotlight, personally. Reminded me a lot of Dersu Uzala.

Detective Dog Dick posted:

I never really got the love for The Big Short. Inside Job gives a more concise and damning explanation of the collapse without feeling like a Very Special Episode of a sitcom.
Even the first five or so minutes of Inside Job is a fairly clever misdirect that's better than the similar stuff McKay does in The Big Short with cutaways to random celebrities.

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Feb 21, 2017

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

That was loving strange.

Loved that Moonlight won though!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I think we all know that somehow Matt Damon is responsible for this.

• Locked thread