Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Kawabata posted:

why was hacksaw ridge nominated for best picture, this is a serious question

Think back over the years about all the films that got nominated because of the underlying story being respectable and not because of any exceptional artistry in the crafting of the film. Hidden Figures, Imitation Game, Selma, etc.

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 12:21 on Feb 17, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Sure, but I"m not so much concerned about accuracy as artistry in the film.

edit: although the more I think about it, the more I have to acknowledge that Hacksaw Ridge is even more artless than the films I named

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Snowman_McK posted:

Selma is really good, what the gently caress?
I didn't say it was a bad movie. It was pretty good. It has a great underlying story to work with, but I don't think it molds or shapes it into a more meaningful film than a straight retelling.

edit: Here's one example (and I'll have to watch it again to remember others): the tapes of MLK's infidelity are mailed to Coretta. She listens to them, and MLK watches shamefully. And then... that's it. No repercussions, no developments, no changes to the direction of the narrative. How does MLK wrestle with his own infidelity as a preacher? Is it okay to overlook a leader's shortcomings in order to achieve an important movement? These are all interesting questions the scene brings up that the movie doesn't bother dealing with. Why even put the scene there then? It's just there to check off the list of Things That Happened and move on.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I didn't think Selma was that great either. It's a solid B+ movie. Great cinematography though.

12 Years a Slave is like a thousand times better than Selma.

Agreed, 12 Years A Slave was fantastic

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Feb 17, 2017

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Aces High posted:

I also agree that there were a few things I found really stupid such as Doss smacking a hand grenade away, or the subsequent christ imagery as his stretcher goes down the escarpment.

Well, the grenade thing really happened. The movie just didn't sell it very well because the ending got so rushed it felt like a montage of "oh poo poo we need to put in this checklist of scenes before the movie's over" so it came across like bullshit

Edit: also, good lord some of that green screening was so bad

Edit: it's too bad because I thought the underlying story was interesting. I can forgive a film making embellishments to make a film more meaningful or interesting, but where Hacksaw Ridge deviates from the source material it seems to always be for the worse

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Feb 17, 2017

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Criminal Minded posted:

It's La La Land
*slap*
It's Moonlight
*slap*
It's La La Land and Moonlight!

Made this same exact joke at my oscar viewing party, and it warms my heart to know someone else on the internet had the same joke occur to them

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
The meltdown on page 40-41 was great

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
http://www.thewrap.com/oscar-stage-manager-pwc-accountants-incompetence/

I dunno if this was posted yet but some more details about Cullinan and Ruiz both freezing up which explains why Ruiz is also being relieved of duties

• Locked thread