Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Obstacle2
Dec 21, 2004
feels good man
I'm really confused by all the praise I've seen from Hacksaw Ridge and to now see it has 6 Oscar nominations.

I generally enjoy watching almost everything I see, and I've enjoyed Mel's other films but I just found this one to be utter trash. To me, Hugo Weaving was the only good part of that film. Kind of a weak year in general I guess for the Oscars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Obstacle2
Dec 21, 2004
feels good man

Timby posted:

I think the concept of "A Netflix Original Film" was so alien to people in 2015 that they couldn't quite wrap their heads around it. (I mean, I think Beasts was actually Netflix's first-ever original film release.)

If I recall correctly, Netflix bought the film after it was screened and then tried to have it run in theaters briefly and was essentially boycotted by the theater chains because it was going to debut simultaneously on Netflix.

Either this made it ineligible or the Academy snubbed it to discourage this.

Obstacle2
Dec 21, 2004
feels good man
Because I hate myself I watched it twice because I wanted to see what everyone else sees in it.

Its just utter garbage, the only highlight is Hugo Weaving.

Obstacle2
Dec 21, 2004
feels good man

Snowman_McK posted:

Fury came out two years ago, and it did not. I think the third act from a different, worse movie, made people forget about the much better first two thirds.

Fury was better and not nominated for an Oscar, which it shouldn't be.

Hacksaw Ridge felt like a propaganda movie brought out of the mid-20th century into 2016.

Obstacle2
Dec 21, 2004
feels good man

Samuel Clemens posted:

Well, Gibson did list Saving Private Ryan as one of his influences.

He could have at least been less heavy-handed as Spielberg. It seriously fucks with my head that people think of this movie as accurate and impactful. Who the gently caress relates to Desmond Doss? Who thinks those combat sequences are remotely accurate?

Obstacle2
Dec 21, 2004
feels good man

Harlock posted:

I'd like to hear some opinions of people who saw and liked Hacksaw Ridge. I'm doing the Best Picture Showcase and it seemed universally reviled. Everything just seemed amateurish. The tone is all over the place, the script is laughable at parts, and the endless Jesus shots wore thin by the end.

I posted something like this earlier. I honestly think it just had a massive marketing campaign. I've never met anyone that liked it and the only love I've really seen for it online comes from chuds who just eat up any pro-military nonsense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Obstacle2
Dec 21, 2004
feels good man

Harlock posted:

I appreciate hearing your opinions. I can see where you're coming from, but the violence to me was over the top to the point of parody/comedy. Kung Fu grenade kick included.

Hugo Weaving was low key the best part of the film. I thought his performance was great.

Hugo Weaving deserves an Oscar nod for his role, no doubt. Shame he didn't get it. The violence was so insane and over the top, like Tropic Thunder levels of absurd.

• Locked thread