Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Vegetable posted:

I liked it. It was engaging all the way through. That's what most of the folks thought too. Hardly groundbreaking stuff, but the Oscars hardly reward that kind of thing (how in the fuckbucket did Carol fail to be nominated for Best Picture or Best Directing last year?)

The weakest films this year are probably Lion and Hacksaw Ridge. Haven't seen Hidden Figures or Fences, but they might be the weaker films of the pack too.

This year, I would have liked the inclusion of Indignation. Haven't seen Jackie, Certain Women, Loving or Paterson, but those might all have warranted a nod.

If there ever was a year, this should have been the one for including a different sort of film. The Handmaiden is heads and shoulders above most of the nominees. Funniest movie of the year Hunt for the Wilderpeople got shamefully overlooked even at the Globes (at least the HFPA had the guts to nominate Sing Street there). Toni Erdmann was an absolute favorite of the critics (still need to see it).

I saw a lot of foreign films this year so it was lovely to see only two of them end up with nominations (The Salesman and Toni Erdmann, three if you count best actress for Elle which deserves to win) and yeah the Handmaiden is up there too but ultimately I would give it to Toni Erdmann anyway. Just a very likeable movie that never wastes its 3 hours and manages its characters very deftly without making them caricatures or overly sentimental which a Hollywood remake would most certainly do. Builds up to an absurd comedy setpiece which would also be the hardest I've laughed at any movie this year if I hadn't also seen The Greasy Strangler. (edit: there's a scene about halfway through that got spontaneous applause at Cannes and at my screening. I never clap at movies unless someone from the movie is there but I will say that it deserved it)

I also saw Moonlight back in September and was kind of surprised to see how big it got, I thought it was solid but found the third act kind of underwhelming.

Hunt for the Wilderpeople and Paterson I think are both the kind of gentle comedies that don't get enough attention for any awards. I'd also throw Swiss Army Man in there too.

The two best movies I saw this year that are getting zero recognition anywhere are American Honey and the much more divisive Personal Shopper. More nods for Silence would have been nice too but ultimately I'm not surprised.

Cacator fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Jan 25, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

Shageletic posted:

There's sound mixing I guess but that doesn't qualify, right? The music on Arrival was perfect and unique.

I saw an article saying Arrival was disqualified for some bullshit reason about its use of a classical piece that stupid audience members would think was part of the original score.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

marioinblack posted:

Mark Rylance is so classy, he pulls off that hat.

He won last year without even trying to campaign for the award.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

Toni Erdmann deserved to win but I am no way surprised that Salesman won because of politics.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

I haven't seen Jackie but Mica Levi being nominated is p. cool. The Under the Skin score was great.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

The Lobster was my second favourite movie I saw in 2015! (Green Room was third)

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

The short story Arrival is based in is my favourite short story to the extent that I was slightly underwhelmed by the movie so I think my total feelings about that not winning end up to ambivalence.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

Isabelle Huppert plz win

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

Criminal Minded posted:

Faye Dunaway looks pretty great for a woman her age

She blows me away every time I watch Network (and Chinatown), is she still acting?

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

Lurdiak posted:

WARREN BEATTY IS A CRISIS ACTOR, WAKE UP SHEEPLE!

I trust Daniel Skywalker-Fiore to speak the truth!

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

I'll be on record as saying that Matt Damon jokes will never get old.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

DC Murderverse posted:

I'll second this. Kimmel was probably right in the middle as a host, but his running joke fits perfectly with the Oscars.

Just a reminder of how the Kimmel/Damon feud kicked into high gear:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eSfoF6MhgLA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TwIyLHsk2h4

This is also a thing that happened:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uP4d9YtzkXk

• Locked thread