Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I went to the mechanical maintenance school at Aberdeen Proving Grounds - Edgewood for third shop mechanics, about a year after I finished a program at an automotive trade school.

The army version was basically, "follow the instructions in the book." It was watered down enough that you'd have to be mechanically inept to fail (Bush years what what). I fast-tracked through half the program until I hit a hiccup in hydraulics, and wound up having to do about six weeks of a then 16 week program, because I forgot hydraulics poo poo. Just the fact I was allowed to fast-track made me some sort of army unicorn. But it got me out of all that time and left me waiting on orders. I took four day passes every weekend I was there still waiting on orders (6 weeks or so). I got to play around on some ROTC exercises as opfor for a few weeks. And they really didn't give a poo poo what I did as long as I was there for PT and formations.

And I could smoke. That was the best part.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread