Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Ruptured Yakety Sax posted:

Any idea what this graceful sea penis is?

It washed up on the Morninton Peninsula, Victoria, Australia probably about this time last year, and we figured it was some sort of sea cucumber?

Looks like a giant bee larva. You could have had a giant bee but you just left it there!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

whiteyfats posted:

Haven't they been a separate phylum for a while now? Pretty sure Colin Tudge had them separate phylum in the Variety of Life, and that book is over ten years old. (Still a great book, Tudge is a wonderful writer, even if it's a bit out of late now.)

They were distinct when I took invertebrate zoology back in 2007 and our textbook (Pechenik 5th edition) was published in May 2005. So yeah the distinction is at least that old.

E: looks like it was done in 1919

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Feb 16, 2017

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mO-OpFjHRbE

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Pick posted:

Oh yeah?! <:mad:>

Nobody wants to ID your cat's turds Pick!

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

my cat is norris posted:

Sad Doot should really be this thread's mascot.

Regy Rusty posted:

I'm pretty sure it is

But... what ever happened to the P. audaxity of hope? :(

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

That or a mink.

E: Actually I'm going to go with mink because it seems pretty comfortable hunting on the ice and swimming in the cold water there. Fishers spend most of their time in and around trees.

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Mar 7, 2017

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

You need to see the butt to be sure. The first bee could be either B. terrestris or B. lucorum (or B. cryptarum or whatever the hip kids call it nowadays). Might be the former but it's hard to tell because she's wet and facing towards us.

Second bee is definitely the latter.

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Mar 20, 2017

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

vortmax posted:

I found a big ol' bumble bee! It was very excited about these flowers. So Mak0rz, what is it?
(Central Arkansas)

Not a bumble bee at all! It's an eastern carpenter bee, Xylocopa virginica. This one's male. You can tell from the big goofy goggle eyes.

Sort of a general rule for bumblers vs. carpenters: if there's a hairless patch on the abdomen, then it's probably a carpenter.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

vortmax posted:

Thanks! I guess carpenter bees are really calm too, because this one didn't seem to mind me getting fairly close for pictures.

Females are chill in general. Males can be territorial at times and try to get in your face, but they can't hurt you as male hymenoptera don't have stings.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

OneTwentySix posted:

Skinks in the SE are nuts - you can guess broadhead by size, but there are a bunch of species you can only ID by range and counting scales and tiny things like that.

There are insects you can only ID by looking at their genitals under a microscope. Skinks need to step up their game :smuggo:

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

OneTwentySix posted:

Don't remind me, I loved invert zoology, but I still have nightmares IDing spiders.

Spiders have like the biggest "ease of ID-ing to family" : "ease of ID-ing to species" ratio of all the Arthropoda

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Chinston Wurchill posted:

Red-breasted nuthatches are still my fave.

Hey these birds are upside down!

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

little_firebird posted:

Hey Critterquesters!

So I helped this lovely lady(?) below escape my store earlier this evening and didn't think to try and look up which Bombus she was until now.

Am I correct in thinking I might have been unlucky enough to run into a Bombus affinis?

This bee is male. That might make identification a little difficult.

Whereabouts do you live?

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

little_firebird posted:

Whoops, I knew there was something I was forgetting. I'm in Central Wisconsin.

I'd wager either B. perplexus or B. sandersoni. Probably not the latter (it's rare). Need a better look to be sure.

Regardless, it doesn't seem to fit the bill for a rusty patch. Sorry! You do have what is probably one of the first drones of the season, though!

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

vaguely posted:

male Lyssomanes viridis I think, a jumping spider (if you look you can just about see the big front eyes)
some adult male Salticids do have those enormous jaws, S. scenicus is pretty well known for it

That explains it then. I was trying to figure out what tetragnathid genus that thing belonged to but the eye pattern didn't make sense at all. I didn't notice the big eyes in the front.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Consider this Part 1 of me going through my backlog of poo poo to share in this thread starting from like two years ago enjoy!

Can't remember what story, if any, this bee has. Looks like Bombus vagans. I found her taking a rest just outside the house.

I remember finding this moth scrambling through the grass while mowing the lawn. At first I thought it failed to emerge but I put it on the side of the shed and it inflated its wings and eventually flew away just fine!

Now for a three-part series of photographs I like to call Making the Horse People in This Thread Incredibly Jealous. For those of you that don't know/remember I was working as a field biologist in summer of 2015 where we tracked wild horses and collected their turds to look for parasites! This is a small band of young adults we found somewhere between Rocky Mountain House and Nordegg, Alberta.

The lead stallion and mare took a hard look at me for a while. Eventually the stallion considered me uninteresting or nonthreatening enough and walked away but the mare took a shine to me for some reason and came up to say hello. She kept sniffing my face, particularly around my mouth. I don't know what her deal was but I assume she smelled the dried mango I had for a snack shortly before this. I thought it was pretty funny and eventually started to laugh at her, which ruined the magic and scared her away. Horses are dumb.

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Jun 23, 2017

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Wild stallions will mark territory with droppings that are laced with pheromones. Once I saw three adolescents fighting and they went back and forth between biting/kicking each other and trying to poo poo the stinkiest turds and poo poo was flying everywhere because they would stomp and kick it around while fighting. They eventually got to the point where their asses were shooting blanks. Their anuses would convulse but nothing would come out.

Noble beasts, horses.

almost as noble as my job that involved being vigilant of horse anal activity

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Sesiids :swoon:

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

El Burbo posted:

Some sorta carpenter bee

This is a leafcutter bee (Family Megachilidae). You can tell because the scopa, the structure for carrying pollen, is on the underside of her abdomen. All other bee families have scopae on their hind legs.

Edit: :eng101: I think this is actually Megachile xylocopoides which, funnily enough, is a carpenter bee mimic! http://bugguide.net/node/view/23995

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Jul 5, 2017

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Tobacco hornworms are pests to tomato plants, which that particular one seems to be sitting on.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

my cat is norris posted:

This guy fell on me today as I was trying to get into my apartment:

Eastern click beetle/grapevine beetle. Pretty good size, too! I was startled to heck and back.

Where on earth are those called click beetles?

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Looks like a sphinx moth. Pics aren't great, but I'd wager blinded sphinx moth, Paonias excaecata judging by the pink hind wings and dark stripe. Should have taken a shot of the dorsal side.

Sphinx moths are awesome. Really big and pretty, but they tend to only come out real late at night.

And yeah fear of moths is a thing. I know lots of people like that. Those same people love butterflies, though :shrug:

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

my cat is norris posted:

What's the difference between those with fuzzy yellow butts and those with almost-naked butts?

Different bumble bee species have different hair colors, lengths, and (I think) densities on various parts of their bodies.* Hair length and (especially) color is a handy identification diagnostic for many species. This bee's butt is actually covered entirely in black hair, but the way the pile is scattering the light kind of makes it seem mostly bald with faint white stripes.

The hair also thins as they age from rubbing against things such as flowers parts, the hive entrance, and other bees in the colony throughout their life. You tend to see it mostly on the thorax, where they'll get a black bald spot right between the wings. Some species naturally always have a dark or bald spot on the thorax though, so its not necessarily evidence of an older bee depending on the species.

If the abdomen is almost completely bald and looks vaguely like the texture of a polished black boot, you got yourself a carpenter bee instead.

* EDIT: Sometimes there's even a lot of hair color variety within a species, such as with Bombus rufocinctus:

(image source)

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Jul 20, 2017

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Enfys posted:

Are these honey bees?

Nope, they're hover flies (Family Syrphidae)! Many species of hover fly are bee/wasp mimics.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

my cat is norris posted:

My fiance made a friend yesterday:

:kimchi:

Looks like Bombus impatiens, the common eastern bumble bee.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

So did no one notice the googly eyes under the power tool?

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Saw this spider in a park in Eugene, Oregon yesterday. I realize there isn't much in the picture for scale, but the gap in between the boards was big enough for me to get the tip of a finger into, so is at least a quarter inch or so. I didn't recognize this species, and thought I'd see if anyone could tell me what I was looking at.

Looks like a cat-faced spider, Araneus gemmoides. Did the abdomen have "cat ear" like protrusions on it? It's hard to tell from an above shot like that.

http://bugguide.net/node/view/33149

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

vaguely posted:

looks more like Larinioides sp. to me, a few species are fairly common across the northern hemisphere
edit: I'm gonna guess L. sclopetarius from the white markings

Yeah that's probably right.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

The Red Queen posted:

Lots of cicadas, but how come I never see any healthyadas in this thread?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ddsZTFSfXaw

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Chitons are the poo poo. I love those things.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

:swoon:

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

She's adorable :swoon:

This is probably Bombus vosnesenskii.

Over There posted:

Did you get a buzzy bee to land on your finger.

A resting bee will gladly climb onto your finger with little coaxing. Especially if it's a little chilly out.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Skutter posted:

Speaking of bees (or at least flying stinging things)... Anyone know what these might be (central Florida)?

These ladies have been flying around my dotted horsemint for a couple of weeks now. The top picture is a worker I believe, there's usually dozens of them flying around. The second photo though, I think is the queen, so maybe a traveling hive? She was easily twice the size of the workers, but her stripes were whiteish-yellow instead of orange.

Most bees are actually solitary and not eusocial. That is, they live alone instead of in colonies with different castes.

I think your first one is a sweat bee (Family Halictidae), but I'm not confident of that. I have no idea what the second one is. Maybe a cuckoo bee of some kind?

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Sammus posted:

Also there were lots of these little guys around. They were a lot of fun because moths would flock to the spot I was shining my normal flashlight, so if I found one under UV then switched, he'd almost always get a free meal delivered right to him.

Scorps are the poo poo. I remember using a preserved emperor to show their fluorescence off in zoology labs. Even the ethanol it was preserved in glowed!

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Velvet worms kick rear end because they're actually viscous predators that capture prey by shooting sticky goo at them like little twenty legged spider-mans

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Randaconda posted:

Unlike every other phylum of animals, velvet worms committed to the terrestrial lifestyle. :colbert:

but please never forget their noble marine ancestors

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YMjcK7xzv8A

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Randaconda posted:

Sister-group, it's unknown if that was the stem group. :colbert:

I thought it was recently put back with the Onychophera?

http://www.readcube.com/articles/10...v17Zyeptg%3D%3D

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Hah. I didn't even realize I did that! I want to blame swipe typing but the gestures for "vicious" and "viscous" are pretty different :downs:

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Congrats on your new trash cat :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Rove beetles. The most inferior of all beetles.