Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
man i'm upset i missed the resurgence of CQ but then agian I don't spend much time in GBS

i actually have an identification request to make sure I dont need to bomb my apartmnet or something

been seeing more of these guys, they're like 3mm across and move pretty slowly in a plodding precarious way. six legs, giant abdomen. is this lil guy eating my poo poo? sorry for hte less-than-exquisite photo the light and setup on my bathroom floor isn't ideal

Gunshow Poophole fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Jun 10, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
Eyyy what good CQ can I get a ID on what I think is a brown click beetle but... maybe not? Hudson Valley NY and please to excuse my disgusting bitten thumbnail lol

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Mak0rz posted:

Wrong family. This is a longhorn beetle (Cyrimbicidae) but I don't know what it is beyond that because I'm not masochistic enough to bother learning beetle ID.

Cool, I can tell that at least it's not a pine sawyer here to gently caress up the forest or whatever

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Heck :kimchi:

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
Found a bug I've never seen on my roof in nyc before, there's two of them of slightly different colors:

Wings are weird to be a horsefly. It flies weirdly like a beetle with a big doofy abdomen hanging down, but obviously no elytra. Keep them around or gently caress em up?

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
Neat, I've even got some Xylocopa for it to parasitize

Thanks!!

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
there's a dearth of ant photos in these threads doubtless because those fuckers are industrious on top of being small, v difficult to get ur macro shots

not to mention the bitiness.

one of my fave pics I ever took (probably posted it in a previous iteration of CQ) was a weaver ant in Bali:

lookit them antennae!

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

free hubcaps posted:

Went for a walk this morning on an old colonial farm turned land trust property, the only other traveler I encountered on the paths was this little beaut

"OH poo poo"

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
robber flies have this barebones muscledude look that is great and totally appropriate :3:

oh man there's a Polistes mimic robber fly?? that owns

Gunshow Poophole fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Sep 19, 2018

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

OneTwentySix posted:

Cottonmouths put on a big show, and they have some strong venom that can kill you if it goes untreated or you have an allergic reaction, but they don't want to bite you.

Here's a really good video where this guy disproves a number of cottonmouth myths. He goes through a lot of effort to get one to bite him, and here's what it takes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=314N7xIeRR8&t=735s

this is amazing lmao

people who are like fundamentally afraid of snakes baffle me. don't kill snakes you dopes

Gunshow Poophole fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Nov 6, 2018

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
uh

Is this a crane fly?

Mother in law provided for scale

It's loving huge

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
Yeah it was striking. the size / girth of the abdomen and the weird... Opaque patterns of the wings I've never seen before, this is in Hudson Valley NY

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
They’re so weird looking

Man seeing this thread again brings back memories so I’m posting to find my,posts

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
phone cameras have come such a long way since I started questing

Sphecidae maybe?

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

joat mon posted:

Maybe Ophioninae instead?

Yeah!

Also I love the word "koinobiont"

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
Uhhh that fuzz on them beetles has gotta be a fungus or something right? Normally they’re super shiny and smooth

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
Twelve spotted skimmer op or maybe a painted skimmer

Mmmm maybe a common whitetail female

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
this isn’t exactly a critter but we planted a five foot tall magnolia tree back when pandemic kicked off. it had a real rough winter, losing an entire stem (of two) to the INSANE 27 inch snowfall we got in December

But it went for broke this spring, regrew an entire new lateral shoot, and finally had the guts to flower this week

You’re doin ok lil buddy

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
omg I thought it was a dead leaf or something

you clever beetle you!!

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Love these study shots

Good work, dragon and damselflies are the coolest

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Mak0rz posted:

It's a bee! Dunno what it is for sure but I think it's a longhorn, on account of its long "horns."

Not a bee and there's no parasitism here. This is an asilid, a species of predatory fly. Many of them are bee mimics. The other insect is indeed lunch!

In any case, there are no bees that parasitize other insects in the way that parasitoid wasps do (as you describe). Bees and their larvae are strictly herbivorous.

Awesome info!

To me, you can dig the shape of the eyes on this guy to get a quick idea that it’s deffo not a bee. The... stalky? Kinda distinct shape of the eyes is a handy discriminant

Gunshow Poophole fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Jul 8, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
rats with antlers