Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.
Any ideas on what kind of moth this is?

Found in Oklahoma, about 1 cm long

joat mon fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Apr 24, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

Pick posted:

Checking in to see if "sad doot" was ever ID'd

Where did you drop discover said sad doot?

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

Enos Shenk posted:

We've had some Honorary Essential Employees in the store I work at in the past few days.

This was my favorite, just today. Found him sitting in the parking lot when we were taking the trash out. I thought it was a rock until I noticed a long tail. Juvenile snapping turtle. Two days previous one of the other managers found a large fully grown snapper wandering onto our sidewalk. Odd since we're about a quarter mile away from any water that isn't a crummy drainage ditch. She managed to track down someone that deals with turtles that came to pick up the visitor to be relocated to the river. So we contacted the same people to come give the baby a ride to the same location.
:3:
My wife recused this Red Eared Slider hatchling from the outdoor cats, so it got a photoshoot before being placed a little further away from the house.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Caught this puppy in my house and released outside. It chilled out in the glass for a while before departing. Im looking at a page of insects in my area (northern VA) and I see some that look very similar, like the four toothed mason wasp, but no exact matches. I'm not sure how much color can vary. Any ideas?

How about different Mason Wasp, Ancistrocerus campestris?

Got there from here.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

poverty goat posted:

A huge spindly spider has adopted my back door area where the bugs get in when i put the dogs out at night and he's only got 6 legs so at first I wrote him off as a faker but now he's got a whole collection of earwig trophies dangling there around the worst, dumbest web ive ever seen and frankly I'm still not convinced this isn't some kind of insect humor at my expense but if this weird dumb insect identifies as a spider I'll do my best to respect its wishes as long as it stays in one spot and continues to defend the homestead against invaders

Cool. Does it look like this?

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

my cat is norris posted:

Pictured in Florida:

Sharp-shinned? Red-shouldered? Having a tough time deciding.

Too small for Red-shouldered?

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

my cat is norris posted:

Hmm, they're not THAT big, as far as hawks go...maybe it's a juvie?

I was looking at more pictures and thinking I might have spoken too soon. And thinking the pictures of juveniles did look a lot like yours.

This is one that lives in our woods from earlier in the year, poufed up for the cold, but still seeming longer of body.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

Does anyone know what this is? I'm in central alabama, was just chilling on a wall. I can usually track these down but i can't figure out what it is. It's a moth of some sort, right?

Pandorus Sphinx Moth, I think.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

The Red Queen posted:

NEVER FORGET

iNaturalist's Seek helpfully thinks it might be a member of the phylum arthropoda.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

Eastern Hercules Beetle?

e:https://bugguide.net/node/view/2877

joat mon fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Jun 30, 2020

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

YggiDee posted:

Alrighty, it's kind of a long shot but I figure if anyone can figure out what the heck this is, it's you guys:

This little critter was found on the leaf of a wild black cherry tree (sorry it's blurry, all I have is a camera phone) and it's a few millimeters long at best. I'm in Southwestern Ontario.

edit: replaced with a better photo

I think it's a planthopper or leafhopper nymph.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

Pain of Mind posted:

What type of bug is this? My backyard was swarming with them. I squished a yellow jacket on the edge of my lawn and literally thousands of them poured out of that footstep. They are barely bigger than ants, maybe 2 mm on average. I am thinking false chinch bug based on google searching? In the SF bay area if that helps.

I'd say you're right. That one is a juvenile.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

Cardiovorax posted:

Found this pretty... uh, I think it's a boy? Anyway, found it on my bedroom wall just now.

I have absolutely no idea what I am looking at here, but it's very pretty. Just look at that pattern! I couldn't even tell until the photo came out, that was a very pleasant surprise.

It's a spitting spider! Pretty much everything about them is interesting.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

Mozi posted:

Judging from the map here https://www.hummingbirdcentral.com/hummingbird-migration-spring-2020-map.htm they do make it up there so you could give it a shot next year.

Bug sighting, on tomato plant:

never seen one like this before!

I think it's a Big-Legged Plant Bug nymph, Acanthocephala terminalis.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

Cardiovorax posted:

Hey, I have a little question for you good people. Today I found this little Opilionid on my home's outside wall and it's not anything special except for the fact that, uh...

...it seems to have pincers. I have absolutely no idea what the gently caress is up with that, because Harvestmen do not have pincers. They just don't. Can someone explain?

Fork-palped Harvestman?

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

SubNat posted:

Sometimes the critters come to you. This lil buddy figured they'd stay the day in my apartment. (It was ejected gently out the window after I took the photo.)
It's.... a norwegian moth of some kind, but I couldn't find a sure ID on the site I looked up. The spots are fairly distinctive. (~3-4cm or so long.)
(South-eastern Norway.)

Maybe a Svensson's Copper Underwing, Amphipyra berbera.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

Improbable Lobster posted:

Anyone have any idea what kind of caterpillar this is? Spotted it in southern Ontario, in Muskoka a couple days ago

Genus Symmerista

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

There's also a Macrophotography Thread

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I'd say American Dagger Moth.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

Cornfield Grasshopper?

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

Nostalgamus posted:

This thing is hanging around on my ceiling. Presumably been hibernating - there's still snow outside (Norway).

Looks like some kind of green lacewing

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

Maybe Ophioninae instead?

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

Synnr posted:

Finally got my girlfriends garden slug stuff under control, but her button bush was still getting munched up like crazy. We found this guy under a leaf, but I can't really identify it. Some kind of sawfly maybe? Inaturalist wasn't much help and lord knows with bugs and their instars.

Cropping and rotating got seek/inaturalist to come up with typical sawflies.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

Slo-Tek posted:

Striped Bark Scorpion, the only scorpion you are likely to find in Missouri.

They're cool under UV light, too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

Megabound posted:

Found this guy while walking the cat. Brisbane, Australia if anyone has insight.

Diaea/Lehtinelagia/Tharrhalea prasina?