Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ebola Dog
Apr 3, 2011

Dinosaurs are directly related to turtles!
Decided to take my macro lens out for a spin in the garden and get some pics of the bees who've been frequenting the flowers. Turned out a bit trickier than expected as the buggers wouldn't stand still and the wind didn't help either.

Bumble bee

Hoverfly of somekind?

Not sure what kind of bee this is

Honey bee?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ebola Dog
Apr 3, 2011

Mak0rz posted:

Leafcutter bee. Family Megachilidae. Recall our conversation earlier about carrying pollen on their hairy bellies :eng101:

Nope, this is a bumble bee. Are you in Europe? This looks like Bombus pascuorum.

Your first bumble bee is likely B. terrestris.

Cardiovorax posted:

If it's Europe, then yeah, pretty definitely. Bombus hortorum looks very similar and shares most of the same habitats and distribution, but you can tell that it's B. terrestris by the way it has only one yellow band on its abdomen instead of the characteristic twin bands that you see on B. hortorum.

Yeah I am in Europe (UK), thanks.

Ebola Dog
Apr 3, 2011

More practise with my macro lens in the garden.

Hover fly again.

Small black thing, think both pics are the same insect but not sure.

A different, slightly larger, small black thing! Not sure what it is but I love the iridescence on the wings.

Leafcutter I think.

(Focus is a bit off on the bee in this one but I love the colour of the flower in the background).

Ebola Dog
Apr 3, 2011

My garden seems to attract more bees than butterfly's but I managed to get a few decent pics of some butterfly and moths who paid a visit.

Cabbage white

Comma butterfly

Mint moth

Small brown unidentified moth, was out at dusk and had a white underside

I also found this little caterpillar which I believe is a cabbage white (found it on my arm, so didn't see what plant it came off)

Ebola Dog
Apr 3, 2011

Cardiovorax posted:

Lavender buddy! :hfive: I thought you were reposting some of my images for a moment, it looked so similar.

I feel like if you want bees and butterfly's in your garden then you should get some lavender, not only do they love it but it also flowers for a long time and smells great! Only thing that annoys me is that the bumble bees are so big and buzzy they flop about every time they land on the lavender making it hard to get a pic!

Ebola Dog
Apr 3, 2011

Ebola Dog posted:

I also found this little caterpillar which I believe is a cabbage white (found it on my arm, so didn't see what plant it came off)

Figured out what this probably was. Found a more developed one munching on my rose bush and it is clearly some kind of sawfly larvae.

Also found this ladybird larvae

Along with a couple of ladybirds

Red Admiral

Think these two are the same, not sure what, maybe some kind of hoverfly?

Unidentified bee?

Ebola Dog
Apr 3, 2011

More garden bugs

Fairly confident this is a 14 spot ladybird

22 spot ladybird

Mint moth

Ebola Dog
Apr 3, 2011

Anyone know what this caterpillar I found in the garden is? I'm in south UK. I tried google lens but all it helpfully told me is that it is some kind of caterpillar!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ebola Dog
Apr 3, 2011

Some more critters from the back garden

Some kind of hover fly? This is the only shot I got of it before it buggered off but the back was light and darker grey stripes.

More of a caterpillar, think this might be a more mature version of the one I posted recently. Pretty certain this one is a yellow-tail moth caterpillar.