Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

gently caress this state. Of all the true blue states, this is the most milquetoast state and the state that lags behind every single other state, red or blue, on skidding its rear end towards actual reform. For a state founded on a piece of poo poo machine that gave my dad's family a turkey just because he lived in Bridgeport, let's start.

I'll start with our actual head of state, Michael Madigan. Here's the link.

The Chicago Tribune actually posted:

Not that Illinois' most clouted pol appears to care that his state is bleeding. What does Madigan suffer as, year after year, expats take their talents, their incomes and their futures elsewhere? Nor do Madigan and Cullerton, with their combined 84 years in Springfield (in 2017 they'll make it 86 years!) confess their deep complicity in this once-proud state's humiliating fall.

Their Illinois model of government — ruinously spending and borrowing so that every Tomorrow has to pay for Yesterday and Today — creates pension and other policies that devastate more than state government alone. There's Chicago Public Schools, a district gravely overstretched. And Chicago's indebted City Hall. And suburban and downstate local governments terrified of their pension time bombs. And school districts that let their personnel costs spiral upward. And universities that never had to balance spending with productivity.

In addition, this piece of poo poo has been feuding with our governor, Bruce Rauner, from two years. He's a pretty lovely guy too. We haven't passed a budget due to their staring contest.

Some more assholes from our state!

Yeah, it's more Tribune talk posted:

A stopgap budget expires Sunday, and with it state government funding for public universities, social service agencies that provide care for the elderly and disabled, and day-to-day expenses such as electricity for buildings.

This effectively puts Illinois back where it was last summer as the historic deadlock between Republican Gov. Bruce Rauner and Democratic House Speaker Michael Madigan extends into the new year.

Courtesy of various laws and court orders, about 90 percent of state spending will continue, covering things such as money for school districts, the child welfare agency and debt payments. The spigot is again turned off, however, for higher education and social services, which will have to tap into reserves, stretch lines of credit and lay off workers to stay afloat.

and we're the state of Obama :shepicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

The Tribune crying about pensions. I'm shocked.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

But yes- Madigan is poo poo, Rauner is poo poo, Rahm DESERVES TO DIE, the Strogers are probably lurking somewhere to get back involved stealing everything they can from Cook County.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Fidel Cuckstro posted:

But yes- Madigan is poo poo, Rauner is poo poo, Rahm DESERVES TO DIE, the Strogers are probably lurking somewhere to get back involved stealing everything they can from Cook County.

The Cullertons still lurk in the background

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Chicago has become such a mess under Rahm that I'd almost be fine with Trump sending in troops so long as a major part of their mandate was to put him in stocks and let south-side children punch his tiny nutsack 8 hours a day.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Fidel Cuckstro posted:

Chicago has become such a mess under Rahm that I'd almost be fine with Trump sending in troops so long as a major part of their mandate was to put him in stocks and let south-side children punch his tiny nutsack 8 hours a day.

I am 100% fine with this

I didn't link the cool parts of the staredown like Madigan inadvertanlty cutting off health services, not giving a poo poo, and causing local free health clinics to close down, but I'm fine with someone laying into Rahm

it won't make up for much, but it'd be cool to watch

Fansy
Feb 26, 2013

I GAVE LOWTAX COOKIE MONEY TO CHANGE YOUR STUPID AVATAR GO FUCK YOURSELF DUDE
Grimey Drawer
I couldn't imagine Rahm winning in 2015. Everyone hated him, Chuy signs were everywhere, my friends and I were going door to door and everyone was cheering us on.

Then I left hipsterville and went to the north side. Rahm signs on every multi-million dollar home and cheap-rear end dive bar. Old white people are terrible

Fansy has issued a correction as of 07:47 on Jan 25, 2017

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown
is this the migf honeypot thread?

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Mayor Dave posted:

is this the migf honeypot thread?

goddamnit you figured me out t:mad:

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich
No, gently caress you cheesehead

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

My Imaginary GF posted:

No, gently caress you cheesehead

that wasn't an invitation

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
A decent chunk of Illinois' problems would be solved if y'all sawed Chicago off from the rest of the state and dumped it into the Great Lakes.

Fidel Castronaut
Dec 25, 2004

Houston, we're Havana problem.
Come On Feel the Illinoise

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rmJwraC4p5A

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
are the chicago police still torturing suspects on black sites in the city?

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Jose posted:

are the chicago police still torturing suspects on black sites in the city?

Chicago police have been torturing people for decades. They may be doing it in the precinct basements again though by now.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Sun Wu Kampf posted:

A decent chunk of Illinois' problems would be solved if y'all sawed Chicago off from the rest of the state and dumped it into the Great Lakes.

I don't think anyone on this planet wants 2 Indianas.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Fidel Cuckstro posted:

Chicago police have been torturing people for decades. They may be doing it in the precinct basements again though by now.

or working through the actual entity that handles it, the Department of Water Management

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Sun Wu Kampf posted:

If you just kill all the black people the problems will go away, huh?

ass cobra
May 28, 2004

by Azathoth
I've only spent like three days in Chicago but I enjoyed it a lot. Go Cubs Go!

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
rahm emmanuel is mayor of chicago

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...
Illinois badly needs Berniebros/leftist populists to take over the party, but our machine is by far the most built out and immune to change out there so idk if that'd even do anything.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

Nanomashoes posted:

If you just kill all the black people the problems will go away, huh?

that guys a cryptofascist so his "solution" comes as no surprise

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

DrProsek posted:

Illinois badly needs Berniebros/leftist populists to take over the party, but our machine is by far the most built out and immune to change out there so idk if that'd even do anything.

There is a place in illinois for leftists: they're called the greens, and they are useless as gently caress

You want a party that don't take money from lobbyists or corporate employees? You want the greens.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
stfu rahm fanboy

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

My Imaginary GF posted:

There is a place in illinois for leftists: they're called the greens, and they are useless as gently caress

You want a party that don't take money from lobbyists or corporate employees? You want the greens.

It's cool to be a creepy fanboy of a nobody party functionary that can't manage a city that was handed to him.

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.
Fun fact: Springfield is the worst state capital.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Rahm doesn't have fanboys. Nobody likes him. MIGF IS Rahm. There's no other explanation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Nanomashoes posted:

Rahm doesn't have fanboys. Nobody likes him. MIGF IS Rahm. There's no other explanation.

it is both hosed up and true at the same time, until you remember that huh, people live on the Gold Coast.

then it gets more hosed up and true

• Locked thread