Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
i'm playing through FFT:A2 right now, and loving it. it makes me wish they'd make a new one for the PS4, but it doesn't seem likely at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

In Training posted:

I wish, I loved FFTA1/2. I wish more people in general made SRPGs

it's the right balance between depth and insane grindy poo poo, imo. every disgaea game i've ever tried to play has been way too much on the grindy poo poo side. but yeah, SRPGS are my favorite kind of party based rpg, but not many people make them for whatever reason.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Skylark posted:

What's the tea on FFTA2? Does it have any wack stuff like the "law" system in the gameboy advance one? I was thinking about it recently i kinda want to try emuolating it or something, if its good...

the law system is a lot better, and instead of the land placement system where you have to follow a guide to get all of the potential skills for a class, there's something called the bazaar, where you trade items you buy to unlock class specific stuff in the store. there's also an auction house where you buy the craft items, but it's easy to beat the AI at the auction game (which is pretty fun, besides).

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Dongslayer. posted:

square enix please put every psx era game on steam kthx

they ported FFT to android and it killed my phone's battery, made it heat up like 10 degrees, and crashed every 3 hours of playtime.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
animal collective tactics

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Skylark posted:

Btw question im wondering about FFTA2....

In FFT for playstation the jobs abilities worked kinda like Final fantasy 5 where if you kept playing as that job you learned more stuff. But in FFTA, the job skills were tied to weapons and you learned the skills from them while using them, whcih basically means for example, you ahve to get far in the game's story before you can buy the ninja weapon that teaches you Two Sword, so you cant just grind it out like in the other games i said. How does ffta 2 work....

skills are still tied to weapons. you get a certain number of weapons through shops, and rarer stuff (like the two sword ability), have to be crafted through something called the bazaar. there's also a thing called the auction house, which is a bidding minigame you play against other clans, and you can get a lot of the more powerful stuff through that. if you're playing on an emulator, it's pretty easy to cheese.

i like it, personally, but if you didn't like it in ffta then it hasn't changed that much.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

War of the lions is the one with the slowdown for magic

that was fixed in the android port, at least. although the rest of the game is a nightmare in terms of crashing and burning through phone life / battery

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Skylark posted:

Tbh I kind of feel like that stuff is a problem with the game design, and i love FFT but like.. I think its lame how you have to attack your own characters, equip junk skills to ppl just so they can get exp for taking some kind of action every turn, etc, if you wan tto 'make the most' of your time. Idk what the answer is but once you realize you can do this stuff, it creates this weird pressure on you and it feels like its contrary or at least unrelated to what the game is supposed to be about and I think ideally it wouldnt be like that. Maybe im alone here but i hope this wont be part of Kingdom Hearts Tactics.

i guess i don't do that kind of thing because i typically take the same 5 or 6 characters through the whole game, but i agree, it could be better. an experience bank is a good idea. a base with a training room or something where you can plop characters in their down time and they accrue jp and exp would also be good. maybe cap it so that characters can only get a certain amount at a time before they need to be taken on a story mission to make sure that you eventually take them out. doesn't x-com have something like that?

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
i've been playing FFTA2 off and on for a while now for an hour or two every day, and my team is deadly now. i think that i'm still too weak for brightmoon tor tho...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
i might try to emulate front mission after i get done replaying stardew valley. i need to finish FFTA:2 as well...

• Locked thread