Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

Fidel Castronaut posted:

I think the Oberlin College thing with protesting the sushi in the cafeteria on the grounds of cultural appropriation was cringey poo poo because rich kids (e.g. Lena Dunham) go to Oberlin and they never seemed to give a poo poo about the poor, likely brown, woman who was serving them that sushi and her working conditions. But cultural appropriation is an actual concern because, like, rock and roll and rap are mediums that communicate the black experience and involve tons of black labor and then we erase the labor and the black experience and sell Macklemore and Elvis tracks. It's bad stuff. But people oversimplify it for sure.

Not only that but most of their criticism seemed to be over the quality of the food. It was a bunch of rich kids mad that their school cafeteria isn't as good as the $100/plate place back home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

MaxxBot posted:

Not only that but most of their criticism seemed to be over the quality of the food. It was a bunch of rich kids mad that their school cafeteria isn't as good as the $100/plate place back home.

It's not as authentic as the rice bowls Toshi makes at the sushi bar in soho, what is this white nonsense?

tenspott
Aug 1, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Fidel Castronaut posted:

Sure, maybe Macklemore wasn't a perfect comparison, not that I was trying to make a 1:1 comparison but the fact is that he won his Grammy against Kendrick Lamar because his rap was more pleasant to white sensibilities than Lamar's confrontational politics. Compare Macklemore's "Downtown" to Lamar's "Alright" where he says 'We hate the popo when they shoot us down in the streets fo' sho'." Their audiences do not overlap as much as you seem to think they do.

Counterpoint: Kendrick had one good track and is insanely overrated. His decline with each successive album is taking him into Lil B territory. We haven't seen a transition from "most important rap in the world" to "whack bullshit" this fast since Arrested Development. Meanwhile, Mackelmore (and more importantly Ryan Lewis) know how to make bangers that get a party started.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

tenspott posted:

Counterpoint: Kendrick had one good track and is insanely overrated. His decline with each successive album is taking him into Lil B territory. We haven't seen a transition from "most important rap in the world" to "whack bullshit" this fast since Arrested Development. Meanwhile, Mackelmore (and more importantly Ryan Lewis) know how to make bangers that get a party started.

Also Kendrick always struck me as a man with mostly white fans, anyway.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

tenspott posted:

Counterpoint: I'm a stupid moron with an ugly face and a big butt and my butt smells and I like to kiss my own butt.

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

tenspott posted:

hahahahahahah holy poo poo

tenspott
Aug 1, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Karl Barks posted:

hahahahahahah holy poo poo

In 15 years, this era will be remembered for trap, not Kendrick. Look into your heart. You know this to be true.

Man Musk
Jan 13, 2010

F I R S T W O R L D P R O B L E M S

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
i like learning and sharing in other people's cultures appropriately and respectfully and have integrated some of these things into my life

fight me

passionate dongs
May 23, 2001

Snitchin' is Bitchin'
no

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 241 days!

Man Musk posted:

F I R S T W O R L D P R O B L E M S

complaining about first world problems is kind of c-spam's thing

even in that context appropriation is kind of a luxury problem though because it isn't Trump

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
imo this is a good article that describes cultural appropriation (even though it doesn't actually use the phrase)

http://www.grubstreet.com/2015/08/fox-all-white-bbq-pitmaster-list.html

quote:

Fox News is getting some serious flack for a recent guide to the country’s “most influential pitmasters and BBQ personalities.” Shortly after the list was published, Texas Monthly barbecue editor and Prophets of Smoked Meat author Daniel Vaughn, who was included in the story, noticed something curious about the list: Everyone featured was white.

Black chefs are often left out of the conversation, as Michael Twitty has written, but it’s particularly problematic in this case, and amplifies a trend that Texas food authority Robb Walsh recently called out on First We Feast: “The national press would have you believe barbecue is dominated by white hipster males,” Walsh writes, “but believe it or not, blacks, Latinos, and women are involved in the barbecue biz too.”

Twitty addressed the issue in his own post on the invisibility of black chefs, writing: “The face of contemporary barbecue is Aaron Franklin … not Rodney Scott, nor the many local black pitmasters whose ancestors created the tradition.” Which is all to say that the Fox list perpetuates the inaccurate idea that everyone in barbecue who really “matters” is white. That, of course, couldn’t be further from the truth, and Vaughn isn’t the only one upset about Fox’s obvious omissions. Earlier today, Southern Foodways Alliance director John T. Edge reignited the fire with two tweets of his own:

New York Times restaurant critic Pete Wells chimed in, as well, suggesting Fox easily could have avoided the mess:

And as Washington City Paper editor Steve Cavendish pointed out, at least one choice was incredibly obvious:

Ed Mitchell — who is so important to barbecue in North Carolina that he’s sometimes called “the pope of barbecue” — is of course a major figure in America’s barbecue world, and opting not to include him in this list is like writing a list of legendary guitarists and leaving off Jimi Hendrix. But there are plenty of other people whose omission from the list is curious. Take, for example, Rodney Scott, who started barbecuing out of his parent’s general store at the age of 11, and roasts whole hogs so well that it’s catapulted him from hometown (population 444) hero to Big Apple Barbecue staple. His is a place that you have no choice but to travel out of the way to, unless you live there, but people gladly make the trip: Scott is the real deal, and his hog has inspired a fervent following.

Perhaps a little respect could have also been paid to some of barbecue’s earliest roots, which shouldn’t be all that difficult when you’ve got a cook as renowned as Armando Vera hanging around. Operating in Brownsville, Texas, where his father opened their restaurant in 1955, Vera cooks Northern Mexican-style barbacoa and may be the last man in the country to commercially sell old-school Northern Mexican-style barbacoa: a cow’s head, eyes and all, steamed in a coal-lined, underground pit.

And that’s only three pitmasters that should have made the list with no need to talk about ace at all — they should simply be on a list like this. No doubt others are as deserving. Hell, tribute could have also been paid to Chicago’s recently deceased Mack Sevier, whom the Chicago Reader called in their June obituary, “perhaps the most well-regarded practitioner of South Side Chicago-style barbecue.”

As Wells points out, barbecue lists are more or less made to create controversy and start a debate — but even Fox probably wasn’t looking to make waves this way.

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice

eonwe posted:

i like learning and sharing in other people's cultures appropriately and respectfully and have integrated some of these things into my life

fight me

:same:

HailHorrorHail
Jun 9, 2015

We are all one culture.

The human culture.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

tenspott posted:

Kendrick had one good track and is insanely overrated. His decline with each successive album is taking him into Lil B territory. We haven't seen a transition from "most important rap in the world" to "whack bullshit" this fast since Arrested Development. Meanwhile, Mackelmore (and more importantly Ryan Lewis) know how to make bangers that get a party started.

Is that a raincoat?

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Main Paineframe posted:

imo this is a good article that describes cultural appropriation (even though it doesn't actually use the phrase)

Wow, barbecue should transcend race, it lives anywhere there are whole hogs to cook and hungry people and that's pretty much anywhere from the poorest pig farmer's hut god knows where on up to the loftiest halls of power. An all-anything barbecue list is as bizarre as it is offensive and an all-white one takes the cake! I am finally mad about appropriation, thanks.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

http://moufawad-paul.blogspot.co.uk/2016/09/cultural-exploitation-instead-of.html

quote:

Amongst the revanchist left cultural appropriation becomes a moralistic taboo to the point of undermining subaltern contributions to left discourse. For example, when a predominantly white group of people declare Maoism "cultural appropriation"––despite the fact that Maoism was wagered as a universal political tendency––signals a complete disintegration of the concept.

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Main Paineframe posted:

Wait... are you saying that Fox News panders to racists??

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Pajser posted:

lol when is the hollywood sexual abuse movie coming out, because only children's video games are allowed to talk about that

dont talk about the hollywood pedophile ring bro

HailHorrorHail
Jun 9, 2015

White people can't make good food.

They can only take a trip to some other country on their parents money, eat some cultural dish once, then incorrectly think that they can make the same stuff as well, so they come home to start a ramen shop or whatever in some rapidly gentrifying neighborhood, churn out an overpriced disgusting knockoff and ramble about the "artistry" oblivious to the fact that thier implementation is devoid of charm until either they go under or get bored with it and move on to the next thing.

This usually happens in waves of whatever the fad of the time is, so any attempt by actual people of said culture to serve the same thing is either blocked out cause there's already 80 white hipster joints catering to specific time sensitive taste of urbanites or left to scrap for the leftover business after the fad dies out.

I can see why people would be sensitive of any cultural artifacts catching the eye of white people.

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer
god forbid anyone should cater to their customers tastes

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Sounds like "white people" means coastal liberals to you

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

HailHorrorHail posted:

They can only take a trip to some other country on their parents money, eat some cultural dish once, then incorrectly think that they can make the same stuff as well, so they come home to start a ramen shop or whatever in some rapidly gentrifying neighborhood, churn out an overpriced disgusting knockoff and ramble about the "artistry" oblivious to the fact that thier implementation is devoid of charm until either they go under or get bored with it and move on to the next thing.

This usually happens in waves of whatever the fad of the time is, so any attempt by actual people of said culture to serve the same thing is either blocked out cause there's already 80 white hipster joints catering to specific time sensitive taste of urbanites or left to scrap for the leftover business after the fad dies out.

I can see why people would be sensitive of any cultural artifacts catching the eye of white people.

itt a white person clutches pearls over fusion cuisine and food trends in middle-america (that originated in ethnic neighborhoods and restaurants in trendy coastal cities)

Mirthless has issued a correction as of 22:09 on Jan 26, 2017

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost
Whitey Cracker in the trendiest little neighborhood in Des Moines can't cook a good samosa to save his life, appropriation! appropriation!

edit: oh wait i already made this post way earlier in ths thread

Mirthless posted:

It's not as authentic as the rice bowls Toshi makes at the sushi bar in soho, what is this white nonsense?

Mirthless has issued a correction as of 22:13 on Jan 26, 2017

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

HailHorrorHail posted:

careful, if you get any edgier you might cut yourself

Nodelphi
Jan 30, 2004

We are all quite capable of believing in anything as long as it's improbable.

Ham Wrangler
I think cultural appropriation has been a part of white culture for so long that it is a core tenant of white culture now.

Fidel Castronaut
Dec 25, 2004

Houston, we're Havana problem.
itt white people getting irritated about the imaginary people in their head who are getting mad at them for eating chipotle.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Fidel Castronaut posted:

itt white people getting irritated about the imaginary people in their head who are getting mad at them for eating chipotle.

lol dude he's right here:

HailHorrorHail posted:

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

HailHorrorHail posted:

The French are predominantly white.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

HailHorrorHail posted:

If this isn't a troll or a c/p from somewhere, where on earth do you live where this is the case? Maine? I live in loving Minnesota and I don't think I've seen a single ethnic food place where it was just a bunch of white dudes in the kitchen.

Fidel Castronaut
Dec 25, 2004

Mirthless posted:

lol dude he's right here:

Oh man, that's tough. I hope you're able to cope with that guy's comment that is totally the same as being mad at you for eating at Chipotle.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

ugh! those restaurant owners are such jerks!

they look so happy when they serve you their cuisine, but you know that they're secretly disgusted with you! how can they stab their customers in the back by making delicious food while reveling in their destructive ecstasy! the ruin of society, I tell you! they're out to completely wreck us!

Fidel Castronaut
Dec 25, 2004

"Hey, as a person who belongs to the dominant culture, you really should do a solid and learn some stuff about the culture that created the things you enjoy."

"OH MY GOD, CAN I NOT EAT A CHALUPA IN PEACE!??!?!"

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Fidel Castronaut posted:

"Hey, as a person who belongs to the dominant culture, you really should do a solid and learn some stuff about the culture that created the things you enjoy."

So that's what taco bells are like in socal...

LinYutang
Oct 12, 2016

NEOLIBERAL SHITPOSTER

:siren:
VOTE BLUE NO MATTER WHO!!!
hosed up that Mexicans use limes for guacamole if you ask me, that poo poo is not native to the americas

Fidel Castronaut
Dec 25, 2004

"Rock and roll was created by the grandkids of slaves who weren't allowed to play certain venues and had white record execs serve them with lovely contracts and some of them outright had their music stolen by white artists."

"I AM REALLY THE BURDENED PARTY HERE BECAUSE YOU ARE DEFINITELY DEMANDING I BURN MY LED ZEPPELIN SHIRT!"

LinYutang
Oct 12, 2016

NEOLIBERAL SHITPOSTER

Fidel Castronaut posted:

fun fact: members of non-dominant cultures don't learn about this poo poo either, nobody cares

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

Fidel Castronaut posted:

That's reasonable, it also doesn't resemble HailHorrorHail's post at all.

LinYutang
Oct 12, 2016

NEOLIBERAL SHITPOSTER

life is too short. eat a chalupa

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Fidel Castronaut posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jYHHCRm-R-U&t=265s

• Locked thread