Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Rugby League 2017 thread set to be renamed Lottoland

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

At least the Tigers and NSW have won their respective competitions within our lifetimes.

Follow the Warriors and prepare to be permanently disappointed.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Antitonic posted:

Well, I haven't changed it yet, and I'm not about to start now, so:

1. Rabbitohs
2. Knights
3. Eels
4. Wests Tigers
5. Titans
6. Raiders
7. Broncos
8. Dragons
9. Cowboys
10. Panthers
11. Sharks
12. Storm
13. Bulldogs
14. Warriors
15. Sea Eagles
16. Roosters

Let's all point and laugh.

1. Rabbitohs
2. Raiders (Premiers)
3. Storm
4. Broncos
5. Cowboys
6. Sea Eagles
7. Titans
8. Panthers
9. Sharks
10. Warriors
11. Eels
12. Dragons
13. Tigers
14. Bulldogs
15. Roosters
16. Knights

Now watch the Knights go and win the whole loving thing.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

He's a league player, for now. I won't be surprised if a French club with more money than sense like Racing or Toulon make a play for him though. Then he can achieve his life-long dream of riding the pine in a star-studded rugby union team in France!

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

And even then, where's he going to play? He'll need a season or two to acclimate to the sport, and he's not too far off of 30.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Stats time:

Since their formation and inclusion in the 1995 ARL season, the Warriors have only won 7 of their regular season opening round fixtures (1996, 1999, 2000, 2002, 2003, 2007 and 2009). The 1996 win also comes with an asterisk, as the Broncos forfeited the fixture due to fielding players not actually signed to the Super League, although the Warriors also won the second fixture that season as well.

The last time the Warriors played the Knights in round 1 was in 2015. Newcastle won that fixture at home 24-14.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Keep in mind that it's the first season-opening win that the Warriors have had in quite some time.

Edit: only the 2nd in the last 10 season opening fixtures since the 2008 one started.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

On the other end of things, Jason Taumalolo is expected to sign a massive 10-year deal with the Cowboys according the the Herald.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=11823032

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

It gets better. Jesse Bromwich was so drunk, it seems like he genuinely does not remember snorting cocaine. He has also donated the $20000 match fee to charity.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=11851399

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Speaking of league druggies and in "Where in the World is Ben Barba?" news, he's just been sacked by French glamour rugby club Toulon after a disastrous season by their standards, at one point flirting with relegation.

Should Barba return to the NRL, he still has a 12-game suspension to serve, which could be something that could be used by another cashed-up French club or UK Super League team may use to lure him over.

Oh, and the ARU are trying to get Cooper Cronk into the Waratahs.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Are we talking about the Warriors or the Knights?

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

In former League players done well news, former Warrior Ngani Laumape has just been selected for the All Blacks. Let's all hope he's as successful as SBW and Brad Thorn.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

More like New South Fails, lol

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

cpaf posted:

lol warriors

Burn Down Mt Smart

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Looks like the Warriors will be sold.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=11903249

And really, it's another season, another post-mortem.

Fairfax has an article looking at it, but it's really 3-fold:
1. A lovely team culture, where you have the senior players who should be setting an example for the young ones acting like entitled fuckwits (case in point Manu Vatuvei getting dropped after dabbling with prescription meds, and then acting like a victim over his suspension. gently caress off, you're old enough to know better, you loving idiot).
2. A poo poo forward pack.
3. Poor recruitment, focusing largely on the backs rather than the forwards.

I'm not going to point any fingers at the coaches, because that's happened before, and with the same result. The common denominator is the players, who are the ones loving up on and off the field.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/league/95706038/where-it-went-wrong-for-the-warriors-and-where-to-from-here

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Mind you, even if we replace Kearney, look at how the NZRL runs things. They put David Kidwell, a guy who had no top-level experience as a head coach in charge of the national team, and they're pretty much wondering why they're getting pumped by the Aussies.

The entire system needs to be purged from top to bottom.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Jono C posted:

The only positive from that shitshow is that Kearney is that much closer to getting fired.

Fire the entire loving team.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

iajanus posted:

Yeah he is deadset the dumbest looking player I've seen in awhile.

Also lol nice to see the touch judges are back to their normal quality with respect to forward pass calls.

Who looks dumber? Alvaro or Bird?

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Abalone Malone posted:

Maloney grubbbed himself into the sin bin.

Nah mate that's not even a penalty mate because the referees were having a big old conspiracy against the squeakiest clean team in the NRL.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

iajanus posted:

I'm just happy the refs have finally remembered the bin exists.

Now if they could just remember that serious foul play should be a send off we'd be perfect.

Honestly, you can't have a 60% completion rate, 17 errors and 34 missed tackles, and then have a moan that your team got robbed.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Smorgasbord posted:

Interested in how this Moylan situation plays out, word is Moylan to Manly, Blake Green to Warriors. I think Green would be an outstanding signing to play outside Johnson.

I think it's equally important to sign or develop an alternative to Johnson, who is getting worryingly brittle.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

With all these dumb scandals recently, let's read instead about a former fuckwit that's turned his life around.

It's great to see that Russell Packer is making the most of his second chance.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/league/96913845/from-18-beers-a-day-to-kombucha-how-russell-packer-changed-his-ways

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

A couple of kids have to apologise to the Warriors because they asked them why they're so poo poo when they did a school visit.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

bowmore posted:

I don't think they should have to

Hell, they should be commended.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

2018 is surely the Warriors' year!

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

cpaf posted:

RIP Kidwell

Anyone that doesn't think New Zealand is going to have a poo poo world cup is dreaming. They'll probably get out of their pool, just and then probably lose in the quarters.

edogawa rando fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Oct 5, 2017

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Looks like Taumalolo will be joined by Tui Lolohea, Solomone Kata, Konrad Hurrell, Manu Vatuvei, Manu Ma'u and David Fusitu'a.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Apparently Kidwell didn't even have a team finalised until within an hour of the squad announcement.

Also a reminder that Kidwell was part of a group of players that threatened to defect to Samoa if Gary Kemble remained Kiwis coach going into the 2008 RLWC.

And that the last time Taumalolo was wearing a Kiwis jersey, Kidwell forgot that he was on the interchange bench, and sat there in the coach's box, presumably having a sneaky toss about what a smart boy he is, instead of using one of the best forwards in the NRL, whom he had at his disposal at the time. And now he's surprised that Taumalolo has basically told him to go gently caress himself and has opted to play for Tonga, effectively free of charge. Because Kidwell is an idiot, you see.

edogawa rando fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Oct 5, 2017

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

A loving literal potato could do a better job coaching the Kiwis than Kidwell can. Considering that they couldn't even beat Scotland the last time a Kidwell-coached Kiwis team played them, they'd be lucky to get out of group B.

I guess I'll support the Tongans instead.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

cpaf posted:

I don't think the power/tier dynamic will deviate from the expected, and I don't think Samoa/Tonga will really accomplish anything outside of potentially humiliating NZ, but the minnow games are imo going to be much, much more interesting and of higher quality this year.

I also think Italy are going to be a bit of a dark horse

I'll just be happy if Tonga progress further than New Zealand, so that the NZRL gets rid of David Kidwell.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

The Warriors have a tough draw too, but gently caress it. They could be given the privilege of fielding 39 players on the pitch, and still fail to even make the play-offs.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/league/98281620/warriors-captain-roger-tuivasasheck-considering-all-blacks-switch

Tuivasa-Sheck is saying he wants to go to union ahead of the 2019 Rugby World Cup.

Realistically, the only team he could play for at the test level is the All Blacks, and if he presumably becomes a fullback/winger, he'll have quite a few players to get ahead of - Ben Smith, Israel Dagg, Nehe Milner-Skudder, Matt Duffie, David Havili, Damian Mackenzie, just to name a few.

It's probably a ploy to raise his salary, I'd say.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

ili posted:

Fucken rigged mate.

Is that you, Ricky Stuart?

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Former Storm fullback Matt Duffie has made the All Blacks.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Jermaine McGillvary of England is also already in a bit of trouble for allegedly biting Lebanese captain Robbie Farah.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Yep, Kidwell getting the sack is the only possible silver lining.

To some extent, I feel for the guy. He was clearly out of his depth, and it was utter stupidity to appoint him as the head coach of the national side when he had no experience as a head coach at any level. It was always going to end in disaster, but I guess no one expected it to be this soon.

Guys like Shaun Johnson and Simon Mannering deserve better than this poo poo, frankly.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Smorgasbord posted:

Manly who have released Blake Green (presumably to the Warriors).

3-year deal, according to the Herald.

It would be nice if they spent some money on signing some loving forwards for a change, but gently caress that poo poo, right? Stack the backline, who gives a gently caress about the guys up front.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Jesus, the other lads in the NRL have a pretty big act of fuckwittery to top.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

How does this match with his NFL career timeline?

Edit: The woman went to the police in April of 2016, and he left mid-May while the police would have been investigating.

edogawa rando fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Dec 20, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Smorgasbord posted:

Also,

I guess that's Joseph Paulo right? The Junior Paulo we know would've been described as current Canberra and Samoa player rather than "former Parramatta". Never heard of Royce Hura.

Nah, Junior Paulo, who played for the Eels between 07 and 09. He's Joseph Paulo's older brother, but at this stage, it seems like Joe had nothing to do with this.

• Locked thread