Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Gavok posted:

I'll get to that eventually. But first, I'm going to build on this for a second...

...since frakeaing HAMSTER DANCE's wiki link didn't include the comic tie-in. Since the tie-in is mostly good and is confirmed canon by Injustice 2, I might as well go over the whole thing. A lot of stuff happens in the first volume, but things are a bit more succinct in the ones that follow.

HOLY poo poo this is insane. I wish even half of this was included in the actual story mode for the first game, it would have elevated it to most batshit fighting game of all time.

I'm sad that this writes out Kyle Raynor and Guy Gardner. No idea Stewart became an rear end in a top hat, as well.

Can I attach this gigantic summary in the OP because this owns and I wish more of it had been actually depicted in the games. It's like they took out all the cool poo poo and the story mode we got was a very sanitized one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

I'm so happy that Netherealm seems to be keeping the game's plot lining up to the tie in comic.

What's the most cost effective way of reading the Injustice Comics?

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
TPB's?

You can safely ignore year four and five though, they are terrible.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

MinibarMatchman posted:

Can I attach this gigantic summary in the OP because this owns and I wish more of it had been actually depicted in the games. It's like they took out all the cool poo poo and the story mode we got was a very sanitized one.

Considering most of it hadn't been written when the game was released

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
Comic books are batshit loving insane

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Each "year" of the Injustice comic gets collected into a Part 1 and 2. Wait for a Comixology half-off sale on the one-book trades, they're pretty great value per dollar. I'll bet the whole series goes on sale around the time Injustice 2 comes out.

Reading a summary of the first couple years reminds me how much better the series was under Taylor. Four and five were blah in comparison, but definitely check out Taylor's annual with the prison break and Plastic Man.

Mechanical Ape
Aug 7, 2007

But yes, occasionally I am known to smash.
The Joker spent time in a dimension where Batman's identity is public knowledge, should anyone be concerned about that?

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Technowolf posted:

Holy poo poo Hal's an idiot.

The best example of this and probably the funniest moment in the series is the Sinestro vs. Despero (star of SNES/Genesis' hit game Justice League Task Force!). Despero crash lands from space into an office building. An instant later, Sinestro arrives.

Despero: Ugh... where am I?

Sinestro: Despero?! I should have known!

Despero: Say what now?

Sinestro: How dare you attack Earth?!

Despero: What? Dude, your space army beat the poo poo out of me and threw me--

Sinestro: HOW DARE YOU ATTACK EARTH?! MY HOME?! MY PEOPLE?!

Despero: What is wrong with you?

Sinestro: STOP TRYING TO STRANGLE ME!

Despero: You are literally using your ring to make me choke you right now.

Sinestro: DON'T MAKE ME DO THIS!

Hal Jordan: Hey, Sinestro. Sorry I'm late, but...

Sinestro: drat YOU, DESPERO! drat YOU!

*Sinestro snaps Despero's neck*

Sinestro: ...I had no choice, Hal...

Hal Jordan: I saw. I'm so sorry.

MinibarMatchman posted:

I'm sad that this writes out Kyle Raynor and Guy Gardner. No idea Stewart became an rear end in a top hat, as well.

Stewart wasn't so much an rear end in a top hat as that he just thought Superman's way was right. And that decision cost him his life.

quote:

Go ahead!

Like The Fool said, most of it was written after the fact. The comic started coming out about a month or so before the game's release and it was probably going to last a few months before being swept under the rug and cancelled. The writer Tom Taylor just happened to be really good at his job and the comic sales were better than expected. They ended up releasing Injustice prequel comics for years until Year Five ended. Then they went on to do Injustice: Ground Zero, a comic retelling of the game's story from Harley's POV. That one's finally ending this week, it appears.

Still, there was great communication between DC and NetherRealm, since the writers have done very little to mess with Injustice 2's roster. The only exception is Scarecrow, who died in the second issue as an afterthought, then appeared briefly in Year Four with no explanation.

Mechanical Ape posted:

The Joker spent time in a dimension where Batman's identity is public knowledge, should anyone be concerned about that?

He's known about it for a long time. He just doesn't care.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Jimmy Hats posted:

Comic books are batshit loving insane

The Injustice tie-in book is batshit insane by comic book standards, especially if you're at all conversant with modern DC. It was seriously the best book DC was putting out for the first couple of years it was being published, but then it switched writers and things went downhill. The original writer is doing the new comic, however, which begins next month.

Technowolf posted:

It's funny. There's been a bit of a flip among comic book fans lately, where people have gone back to older comics and noticed that Hal has always been an idiot, or at the very least, is prone to being featured in stories that revolve around him being stupid and more than a little accident prone. (The first comic in which John Stewart participates in an adventure with the Justice League takes place because a general alert goes out while Hal is in the shower, and Hal promptly slips on a bar of soap and knocks himself into a shallow coma. The ring proceeds to scan him, determines he'll be fine, and goes to grab John so he and it can answer the alert.)

As far as DC itself is concerned, however, Hal is the Greatest Green Lantern of All Time, although the writer that was the most insistent about that has stepped back from the comics.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
The Injustice comics are also mildly noteworthy for having such bad inking and coloring that the original line artist was like gently caress this poo poo and redid it himself for the trade paperbacks

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Best part of Injustice comics was Plastic Man showing up and talking poo poo about Supes to his face and everyone in the room was well aware that they couldn't do anything about it because Plastic Man is terrifyingly unstoppable.

Babe Magnet fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Mar 14, 2017

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
Isn;'t the art in the injustice comics like wildly inconsistent from page to page?

Also this batman face

http://www.somethingawful.com/news/batman-catwoman-face/

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Please tell me Plastic Man is gonna be in this.

Also, am I the only one who wants Talion as a Guest fighter?

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Babe Magnet posted:

Best part of Injustice comics was Plastic Man showing up and talking poo poo about Supes to his face and everyone in the room was well aware that they couldn't do anything about it because Plastic Man is terrifyingly unstoppable.

How is Plastic Man NOT a character in Injustice 2 yet?

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Jimmy Hats posted:

Isn;'t the art in the injustice comics like wildly inconsistent from page to page?

Also this batman face

http://www.somethingawful.com/news/batman-catwoman-face/

That's the face that somebody already posted about, where the inker and colorist botched the job, so the original artist retouched it for the trade paperback release.

The art isn't all that inconsistent, since all the various artists have the same basic style. Due to the pace of the releases, one per week, there's a whole team of guys who take turns drawing the book.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

Babe Magnet posted:

because Plastic Man is terrifyingly unstoppable.

Really? That is just the funniest thing

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

omg chael crash posted:

Really? That is just the funniest thing

I mean, Superman could easily stop him by freezing him, but Plastic Man's usually portrayed as Batman's secret weapon. Everyone's so hung up on how wacky and goofy he is, but he's also an unkillable and immortal shapeshifter who it turns out is immune to mind control.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Gavok posted:

I mean, Superman could easily stop him by freezing him, but Plastic Man's usually portrayed as Batman's secret weapon. Everyone's so hung up on how wacky and goofy he is, but he's also an unkillable and immortal shapeshifter who it turns out is immune to mind control.

Wasn't there an arc where the Justice League had their secret and super identities separated somehow and it was Eel O'Brian (Plastic Man's secret identity) was the one who got poo poo done and pushed people to start fixing things?

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Babe Magnet posted:

am I going crazy or is the wrong loving character saying the last line? seems like plastic man should be saying the quote about twirling a mustache???

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

MinibarMatchman posted:

am I going crazy or is the wrong loving character saying the last line? seems like plastic man should be saying the quote about twirling a mustache???

It is Plastic Man as Sinestro

EDIT: Look at the costume symbol too

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Plastic man turned into Sinestro, look at his emblem

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Technowolf posted:

Wasn't there an arc where the Justice League had their secret and super identities separated somehow and it was Eel O'Brian (Plastic Man's secret identity) was the one who got poo poo done and pushed people to start fixing things?

Yeah. Some weird deities were listening at the wrong moment and decided to grant the JLA their wishes, which separated each of them into two people, except for Wonder Woman and Aquaman, who don't really have "secret" identities. Each of the new halves started going slowly nuts in their own ways (Bruce Wayne didn't have an outlet for all his psychotic anger, Green Lantern didn't have any of Kyle's creativity and just hit everything with giant murder weapons), but Plastic Man's"civilian" half was a perfectly self-aware, murderous criminal. His Plastic Man side had his sense of humor, but none of the attached competence.

Plastic Man under Mark Waid was actually a really interesting character, and some writers since then have highlighted how dangerous and smart he actually is. It's weird he just dropped off the planet after the "New 52" reboot.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

I had nightmares about being Plastic Man and being broken apart in a million pieces and being scattered around the globe like in Rock of Ages. When he finally gets put together after THOUSANDS of years, the description of him having an itch on his nose gave me chills.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/128905833

The stream from today.

Went from rolling my eyes at Cheetah to now seriously digging her. Shes pixie rushdown grappler.

*ed*

And her super is Maximum spider :shobon:

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Cheetah and Swamp Thing look absolutely fantastic. In terms of moveset, animations, and super moves they are really in the upper echelon so far.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Evil Canadian posted:

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/128905833

The stream from today.

Went from rolling my eyes at Cheetah to now seriously digging her. Shes pixie rushdown grappler.

*ed*

And her super is Maximum spider :shobon:

I can't pause the stream?

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Now to finish this off.

YEAR THREE

At the end of the previous volume, Batman's insurgency captured a handful of Superman's crew. With Superman's side being a bit weakened (despite him being a Yellow Lantern now), Batman brings in a bunch of magic users since that's one of Superman's vulnerabilities. Guys like John Constantine, Jason Blood, Detective Chimp, Klarion the Witch Boy, and so on. Things look promising until the Spectre (ie. the literal wrath of God personified) shows up and sides with Superman. Spectre wipes out a chunk of Batman's people because he's Actual God Tier.

Still, there's something off about him. It's established that he isn't bonded to the soul of Jim Corrigan and there are several hints that the Spectre's host is actually the Joker, though it's a red herring. Regardless, he destroys the Phantom Stranger (one of DC's top-ranking good guys) and wounds Deadman's spirit. Before Deadman fades away forever, he chooses a successor in the ghost of Dick Grayson.

We discover that Batman's magic users are behind why Wonder Woman is still in a coma. Batman briefly merges with the Demon Etrigan to put Superman in the same coma spell. Superman's dream is his fantasy world where he saved Lois and Metropolis and on the way to Arkham, Batman snapped the Joker's neck. This is the point where writer Tom Taylor leaves the book and he chooses to end it on a happy note, knowing that it'll obviously be undone by the new guy Brian Buccellato. Buccellato is not nearly as good.

The Greek Gods and amazons find a way to wake up Wonder Woman, who is able to wake Superman up and convince him to denounce the Sinestro Corps ring. The Spectre leads them to Batman's insurgency. Constantine summons/tricks Trigon into attacking Superman's team and Harley is all pumped because she thinks it's the guy from Legend. The Spectre finally shows his true form: Mr. Mxyzptlk. Mxyzptlk and Trigon go at it and things devolve into a gigantic clusterfuck with Swamp Thing and Poison Ivy showing up for the hell of it.

During the big fight, Dick Grayson as Deadman possesses the body of Billy Batson and tells Batman how much he meant to him, how he doesn't blame him for his death and how he shouldn't blame Robin. Also, Wonder Woman accidentally kills Huntress. Considering how the story is written, it's VERY apparent that she was supposed to kill Batwoman, meaning Batwoman will probably be in Injustice 2.

Batman's prisoners are released to help out, as Mxyzptlk vs. Trigon could probably wipe out all life if not dealt with. Even Swamp Thing ends up transported to Hell from the maelstrom of magic. They put their heads together and come up with a plan where Dr. Fate essentially purges Mxyzptlk and Trigon into a magical void and vanishes himself. Later, Batman realizes that this was all Constantine's plot to protect his own daughter from Trigon and going after Superman was just a means to an end.

YEAR FOUR

Barbara Gordon goes under an experimental and extremely risky procedure from Luthor that fixes her spine. She returns to being Batgirl.

The big story for this year is that the Greek Gods step up to smite Superman and his regime. Ares appears to be working all sides of the conflict. At one point in all of this, Zeus exiles Superman from Earth and briefly declares a worldwide ban on all religions that aren't about worshiping Mount Olympus. Superman flies to Apokalips because Darkseid is truly behind this or whatever. The two duke it out and although it's even, Darkseid concedes defeat because even if he wins, Apokalips will be utterly annihilated.

Lots and lots of filler happens and it ends with Highfather from New Genesis coming to Earth and telling Zeus to pack up and GTFO. Then Superman hands Ares over to Darkseid to torture because why the hell not.

There's also this weird subplot going on throughout Buccellato's Injustice run where Harley (who needs to attach herself to someone and has lost Joker, Arrow, Canary and Detective Chip) has this unrequited crush on Shazam. On one hand, it kind of works because of course she'd be into a jacked Patrick Warburton with the mind of a child, but on the other hand, she's well aware that he's really a teenager and that's creepy. Anyway, part of it is that she sees him on the wrong side of the war and wants to convince him to switch to Batman's side. Eventually, she decides he's a lost cause and feels bad about it.

The Year Four Annual is about Offspring, son of Plastic Man, being arrested for standing up against Superman's regime. Plastic Man not only rescues him, but releases all the prisoners from Superman's maximum security underwater prison. Now there are tons of villains out causing havoc, but Plas and Offspring decide to lay low and wait for this to all blow over.

YEAR FIVE

This is the longest volume and a lot of stuff goes on, but there's little holding it all together into a single narrative.

Superman and friends have their hands full with all the villains on the loose. Bane helps Superman defeat Doomsday (yeah, I don't know) and gives Superman the idea of making the villains his soldiers. Killer Frost, Black Adam, Solomon Grundy, Killer Croc, King Shark and others fall in line. They experiment on using mind control on Doomsday.

Back in Year Four, it's established that Lex Luthor has been building a Superman clone to defeat the despot Superman. The unfinished clone escapes and we get this world's version of Bizarro. He kills a couple Flash villains and befriends the Trickster. The two have a Mice and Men relationship until Bizarro accidentally kills Trickster in a hilariously dark moment. Bizarro returns to Luthor, demanding he bring Trickster back to life. Luthor instead sets up a battle of Superman vs. Bizarro vs. Doomsday where he has Superman at his mercy. Luthor chickens out and Bizarro loses. Desperate to cover his tracks, Luthor has Doomsday snap Bizarro's neck, meaning his mercy was short-sighted.

Gotham detective Jason Bard starts up a protest group called the Joker Clan. Harley sees potential in it, but is disgusted at using Joker's image to push the agenda. Superman crashes one of the protests and vaporizes everyone in the building. Batman's side tries to go public with the footage of this, but Raven and Cyborg are able to get rid of every trace of it.

Catwoman leaves Batman's side, feeling that they've been fighting the war for too long and they're not a step closer to success. She joins up with Superman as kind of a plea bargain measure, as she just wants the fighting to be over.

Dick Grayon's ghost helps out Robin without Robin realizing it. He has a Nightwing suit delivered to him, causing Damian Wayne to take up the mantle.

Superman attempts to intimidate Alfred to tell him where Batman's hiding out. Alfred instead shows that he is all out of fucks to give and casually drops dry insult after dry insult before asking Superman to leave. Rather than get his own hands dirty, Superman has Mr. Zsasz kill Alfred in a knife fight as a way to draw Batman out of hiding. Damian doesn't know that Superman is behind Alfred's death and ends up killing Zsasz when Batman won't.

There's some stuff about Hawkman and Hawkgirl in there, but who cares. Superman kills Hawkman.

Batman and Luthor realize that they're running out of options. Batman has a kryptonite gun, but he needs the DNA of various Justice League members to use it. They're all either on Superman's side or dead. Luthor comes up with the idea of getting the DNA from another universe. To do that, they need a motherbox and since Superman's side has one of those in storage, they hire Deathstroke to get it. Deathstroke bowls through a bunch of goons and Metamorpho to fulfill the mission and sends the motherbox schematics to Batman, but then he's caught by Raven and Cyborg.

By the end, we reach the beginning of the Injustice game where people from the "main continuity" are pulled into the Injustice universe.

THE GAME/GROUND ZERO

Ground Zero is the comic adaptation of Injustice told from Harley’s side. She ends up leading the Joker Clan, but mainly has about six of the masked hoods in her inner circle. Although she can never get their names right, she’s incredibly loyal and good to them, based on her own history as a henchman. In turn, they’re loyal to her.

Injustice Batman uses a machine to pull in Batman, Green Arrow, Aquaman, Wonder Woman, and Green Lantern from “Earth One.” Joker ends up coming for the ride as well and Cyborg appears later. Outside of Batman, everyone is pretty disgusted with their alternate selves. They end up freeing Deathstroke, meeting with good guy Luthor, and work to put that kryptonite gun together.

Harley falls into old habits with this Earth One Joker around. At one point, she meets with Zatanna and Dr. Fate (whose reappearance isn’t explained) and Fate tells her that only she can recite the magic word to break the Joker’s spell on her: “No.” Regardless, Joker continues to abuse her and turns the Joker Clan against her. With the help of Luthor and Harley’s inner circle Joker Clan buddies, she ends up finally conquering her Stockholm syndrome. Her friends then rebrand themselves the Harley Horde.

Batman’s side blows up the Watchtower and sets up this big battle where Luthor can use the kryptonite gun on Superman. Shazam prevents Luthor from pulling it off at the last second. Superman tears Luthor’s armor apart, screams at him for the betrayal and snaps his neck. Then he hears all the citizens murmuring about what he just did and flies off.

Superman’s basically lost his poo poo at this point and wants to lay waste to both Gotham and the rebuilt Metropolis, just to show everyone who’s boss. Shazam speaks up against this and Superman reacts by freezing his mouth shut and burning two holes through his head. As Solomon Grundy sadly drags the body away, Flash decides that enough is enough and switches sides.

Injustice Batman realizes that since his kryptonite gun plan went tits up, there’s no reason to keep the Earth One guys around, so he tells them to go home. Earth One Batman figures that if the big bad is Superman, why not just counter with another Superman? Obviously, he’s seen Bill and Ted’s Bogus Journey. Injustice Batman is too distrusting of Superman as a concept, so he refuses out of prejudice. The Batmen fight it out, Earth One wins and it’s agreed to bring in the good Superman.

Injustice Aquaman is supposed to lead his army into loving poo poo up while Injustice Wonder Woman is supposed to do the same with her amazons. Instead, Earth One Wonder Woman beats up her counterpart and convinces the amazons to join her side and fight against the Atlanteans.

Earth One Superman shows up and takes down the likes of Black Adam, Sinestro and Doomsday. Yellow Lantern wordlessly understands that he hosed up and hands over his ring. Harley helps out during the Doomsday fight and Earth One Superman is pretty jazzed to see that in this hosed up, dark alternate reality, even someone like Harley can prove that not all hope is lost.

Earth One Superman flies to the Fortress of Solitude and defeats his Injustice self, who was so far gone that he intended to kidnap Earth One Lois and make her his. Injustice Superman is locked up in a cell filled with red sun lamps to keep him depowered. Hal Jordan is forced to go to trial under the Guardians, Flash is arrested despite helping the good guys, Earth One Cyborg mourns Lex Luthor and most importantly, Bruce Wayne tries to help put their world back the way it should be.

Earth One Superman offers to return if Injustice Superman ever escapes. Injustice Batman threatens to take a trip to Earth One if their Superman ever steps out of line.

As for Harley, she waits out the end of the war by playfully kicking the poo poo out of the Joker until Earth One Batman arrives to bring him home. Sometime later, Harley visits Earth One and pals around with her counterpart, telling her the entire Injustice storyline in vain hopes of getting through to her and convincing her to be her own woman.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
i really can't wait to see the insane poo poo they do next

HebrewMagic
Jul 19, 2012

Police Assault In Progress
Can't wait for the final fight where batman just says gently caress it and punches superman's heart out

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
Actually the final battle is going to be Johnny Cage showing up and defeating Superman with his green energy

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Technowolf posted:

It's a multiversal constant.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Gavok posted:

Injustice Batman threatens to take a trip to Earth One if their Superman ever steps out of line.

To what? Get owned over and over until another Earth's Superman comes to bail him out again?

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

fadam posted:

To what? Get owned over and over until another Earth's Superman comes to bail him out again?

Naturally, Batman knows he could never stand a chance against Superman :cool:.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
kryptonite armor

HebrewMagic
Jul 19, 2012

Police Assault In Progress

Jimmy Hats posted:

Actually the final battle is going to be Johnny Cage showing up and defeating Superman with his green energy

If this happens, I will personally write Ed Boon a letter declaring my love.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
I hear Power Girl is going to be one of the premium skin for supergirl? What's the difference between the two characters

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

Kurtofan posted:

I hear Power Girl is going to be one of the premium skin for supergirl? What's the difference between the two characters

It'll be different voice lines/intro & win pose, and maybe different particle effects/a move or two might animate differently.

Like the leak has all the CW characters having their TV look as a premium skin, I imagine those will be voiced by the TV actors.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax

Kurtofan posted:

Power girl has a chest window over her boobies

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Kurtofan posted:

power-wise in the comics and stuff not really much. Power Girl has pretty much just been a grown-up version of Supergirl, like if she was Superman's age instead of way younger

she's a good pick for a costume since she wouldn't bring anything to the game as her own separate character

hey what's some good Injustice 2 videos to watch to tide me over until the game hits? or just good youtubey people in general who will probably upload some good stuff as we get closer to launch? i don't know much about fighting game people on the internet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Evil Canadian posted:

Like the leak has all the CW characters having their TV look as a premium skin, I imagine those will be voiced by the TV actors.

How far does this go, like are we getting CW Firestorm and Captain Cold? I didn't know I needed Victor Garber and Wentworth Miller in a fighting game until now BUT I DO

• Locked thread