Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

AndyElusive posted:

Bane looks kind of awful, same with Cold. You can tell the design team had to make their base appearance pretty bland thanks to the "every battle defines you" schtick.

I have no doubt that the mods for their costumes will lend us better appearances. I also surmise that the reason Captain Cold is so bulky is that this makes things easier for him to have a Mr. Freeze premier skin.

"why not add just Freeze then" well probably to avoid the stigma of WAY TOO MANY BAT-CHARACTERS.

Right now we've seen the grand majority of leaked characters. What's left:

• The Joker
• Scarecrow
• Mr. Freeze
• Firestorm
• Black Adam

I'm going to say Freeze is just a skin, especially if we already have CapCold and Sub-Zero on the way. This still leaves a shitload of question marks on the character roster screen on the official Injustice site, not even counting the 9 or so slots that may be reserved for DLC.

We've seen absolutely nothing regarding Joker showing up which leads me to believe he'll either be DLC, or possibly just gone? I could see him getting overhauled because like Wonder Woman/Harley, he had a godawful ability.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Evil Canadian posted:

It was a "we got a reveal coming later on" kinda deal. I think monday?

UpUpDownDown is doing an exclusive reveal of a character, and the day after we get a Watchtower stream

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Hello, Firestorm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uH-7-SPfUHk

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

looks like they took Cinder's moveset with the bison crushers and projectiles. Honestly, was expecting more from Firestrom besides a very generic fireball character. That finisher is loving garbage tier as well, does he pull the guy into hell or something?

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

fadam posted:

I just loaded it up on my computer to watch it and you're right. Not sure what happened there.

Honestly, that's a pretty big problem with this game in general. They have this roster filled with fantastic characters with crazy powers but the game is just UE models lumbering around throwing janky NRS animations at each other.

that's going to be a limitation of most fighting games that don't go full Guilty Gear, to be fair. Though I do agree that MvC's high-speed, high-jumping high-flying style probably would suit a lot of these characters better.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

fadam posted:

MvC rules because some of the stuff the heroes do is completely out of character (why is Magneto so fast??) but it doesn't matter because it feels awesome to watch and play. The game is bright and colorful, everyone can zip around the screen with super jumps and air dashes, everyone has custom voice lines for each other, and the specials/supers are all very flashy. The characters in MvC feel like superheroes, the characters in IJ feel like MK characters, and as a life long DC fan that is a real bummer. Superman deserves better.

Magneto uses MAGNETS to zip around.

If NRS did Spiderman or Magneto they'd basically amount to Mileena and Ermac movesets. I agree that DC characters feel more like MKX extensions but them's the breaks, its never attempted to disguise that they take artifacts and lessons learned from Mortal Kombat 9/X and applied them to Injustice 1+2.

NRS would be far better suited for a heavier type of game like "horror icon all-stars" judging by how great they handled Jason, Leatherface, Freddy, Alien, etc. The brutality levels would make more sense, too.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

It is my hope that Gavok writes up a Who's Who of the new DC characters since the last one was great. For those of you who haven't read the last one for the first Injustice, strongly advise visiting http://4thletter.net/archives/ and just ctrl-f "Injustice" for a bunch of really great bios on the hilarious insane character histories.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Gavok posted:

I'll get to that eventually. But first, I'm going to build on this for a second...

...since frakeaing HAMSTER DANCE's wiki link didn't include the comic tie-in. Since the tie-in is mostly good and is confirmed canon by Injustice 2, I might as well go over the whole thing. A lot of stuff happens in the first volume, but things are a bit more succinct in the ones that follow.

HOLY poo poo this is insane. I wish even half of this was included in the actual story mode for the first game, it would have elevated it to most batshit fighting game of all time.

I'm sad that this writes out Kyle Raynor and Guy Gardner. No idea Stewart became an rear end in a top hat, as well.

Can I attach this gigantic summary in the OP because this owns and I wish more of it had been actually depicted in the games. It's like they took out all the cool poo poo and the story mode we got was a very sanitized one.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Babe Magnet posted:

Best part of Injustice comics was Plastic Man showing up and talking poo poo about Supes to his face and everyone in the room was well aware that they couldn't do anything about it because Plastic Man is terrifyingly unstoppable.

am I going crazy or is the wrong loving character saying the last line? seems like plastic man should be saying the quote about twirling a mustache???

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Cheetah and Swamp Thing look absolutely fantastic. In terms of moveset, animations, and super moves they are really in the upper echelon so far.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

stream should be 4pm EST or so if I'm not mistaken

Kelp Plankton posted:

The Injustice 2 characters actually have facial scan actors in addition to their voice actors, so while she might look like Kristen Bell I'm sure it's someone else's face. they might have gone for someone with that kind of look though

It's interesting seeing the face scan mocap stuff get used in more games after it seemed like everyone abandoned the idea post-LA Noire. Netherrealm is doing a pretty good job with it, though the earlier trailers looked kind of weird

regardless of any complaints about their face tech, they've absolutely made huge strides from not only the face rendering from MK9/Injustice 1, but really moved far away from the objectively gross models they used for female characters (Kitana, Mileena, etc) You already see that in MKX and most characters save for like Catwoman look way better for it.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

full stream here if you missed it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-FT5kOMBAA

Dr. Fate is a really sick zoner, absolutely embodies being a wizard. Robin and his costumes are great and I love his mixups with the birdarang.

Don't miss the Swamp Thing/Cheetah match at the end, either; great showcase of how to counter a character with the other. I'm really loving all the characters on debut so far and hopefully we're going to be getting Flash soon, too.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I'm completely convinced Shazam will be a premiere skin for him now. More than ever Black Adam looks extremely similar to Shazam in terms of pose and costume (he didn't have a cape in the previous game) I'm not upset by this since they're practically the same powerset of thunder magic and uberpowered poo poo anyway.

Scarecrow and Captain Cold are the last "new" characters we haven't really seen up close (though Cold kind of appears in a cutscene and Scarecrow's poo poo was leaked through mobile appearances.) The only character we haven't seen now is Joker. Anything apart from that will be a surprise, which we could still get; there are still a few slots on the website that aren't really for DLC.

DLC Inc fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Mar 23, 2017

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I can't believe NRS can make better facial animations than Bioware in 2017

Kelp Plankton posted:

That said, Black Adam's super move is rad as hell

smashing someone into a pyramid and having the top blow off like a teakettle so lightning fries your enemy is loving rad. Robin, Deadshot, Doctor Fate, Firestorm, and Wonder Woman have the most boring finishers I've seen so far.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

AndyElusive posted:

I would argue Grodd's is pretty boring, too.

it's been so goddamn long since I saw Grodd in any capacity that I can barely remember

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

fadam posted:

I'm excited for this game but goddamn is it ugly. They've been through like nine different revisions and upgrades and Supergirl's face still looks like poo poo.

all of them were rough as gently caress at the start and have gotten better. the gulf between this and even MKX is huge, it's still impressive by how much they improved since then. Catwoman and Black Adam look hilarious right now, though. I can't imagine how Joker is gonna look but it can't be worse than Injustice 1's snaggle-toothed lockjaw Joker with receding hairline.

I'm actually really stoked by how much variety is in the gear aesthetics. being able to go straight Evil Nightwing without the hoodie for Robin is cool and we might even get a bo-staff Nightwing alt skin.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Black Adam is probably one of the most dangerous fuckers in DC history so it's cool he's going to be getting in Superman's poo poo in this game. Naturally Gavok's writeup is probably the best way to read about it but the dude singlehandedly caused World War 3 by killing like 2 million people in Asia and proceeded to destroy like every major landmark on earth. Presuming The Rock is still attached to the movie role I hope they go full bore with his absolute justice shtick.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Gavok posted:

That reminds me, one of the most inspired ideas in the Injustice comic is that as powerful as Black Adam is, Wonder Woman is his weakness. All she needs to do is lasso him and ask "What's the magic word?" Instant depowering.

I'll start with the profile pieces a little later today with updates on the guys who were in the first game.

i've always found this kind of funny about DC characters--so many of them exist as hard counters to each other. Yellow and Green Lanterns, Magic people like Shazam/Black Adam/Dr. Fate against Superman, Wonder Woman against the disciples of Shazam. And then you have The Spectre who is literally God's vengeance, and I hope we see him pop up as DLC at last.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

FunkMonkey posted:

In fairness, I think Injustice was the first time in a long time Marvel hasn't kicked the poo poo out of Superman in a toe to toe fight.

it helps that Shazam kind of comes across as "actually billy batson, naive kid" mode for the story. I'm okay with trotting out Black Adam this time to beat the poo poo out of him.

FunkMonkey posted:

"Chocolate egg cream" will always be on my high list of comic book moments.

It's my understanding that at least for awhile Martian Manhunter was supposed to be the U.S. government's contingency against a Superman "problem." I never really read much of him, though.

in some of the rebooted comics (jesus they have rebooted them so much) there's a separate Justice League called Justice League of America, which is basically the government-sponsored version of the superfriends. Yes, Manhunter is their contingency plan against Superman because he's on the same Omega level (to steal a term from X-Men). Getting Martian Manhunter back in Injustice 2 would be very cool but they'd have to completely rebalance him; he was loving beyond broken last time.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Man I forgot all about Mr. Terrific, who is a hugely underrated DC character, basically "what if it was Bruce Wayne's son and wife who were killed and also had the religious hangups of Daredevil" but it's a shame his "floating sphere" poo poo has already been commandeered by Batman/Dr/ Fate.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Jimmy Hats posted:

We've seen flash in the very first reveal trailer and he showed up in shattered alliances 2 but nothing gameplay wise which is odd. It's probably because his Watchtower stream would just be 30 seconds of them explaining how to input lightning kick and how to combo it off 1-1 punches using his trait, forever.

it's more likely due to rumors and pieces of things they've said about Flash receiving a revamp. Green Lantern was another one whose name was thrown around when it came to rebooted moves or traits.

Kurtofan posted:

I was looking at the list of revealed characters, and i don't think we've seen anything of flash, bane, brainiac, catwoman, cyborg and poison ivy yet

and black adam of course

definitely almost nothing on Flash, Bane, or Braniac. Bane's story info on the site is extremely throwaway which made me laugh at why he was even kept--I'm not complaining though because I love his moveset in the first game.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

The Fool posted:

Why are we talking about Joker as if he was confirmed to be in? Last I heard we had no information on him at all, and people were assuming he was going to stay dead.

because he's on a leaked list that has been 100% right so far

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Arkham Knight had a shitload of bugs and a bad release because, I poo poo you not, they did not want QA people to see the BIG EPIC SPOILER ABOUT WHO ARKHAM KNIGHT IS. Which is even more ridiculous because it was so loving obvious even a 4th into the story.

I also remember the DLC just literally rehashing villains from the previous games instead of giving you interesting people like Prometheus (who had been teased for years in-game), The Court of Owls, or Dr. Hurt.

If you really want to put in some kind of wild Batman villain then Dr. Hurt or Prometheus would be kind of insane. Even Azrael with his flaming swords would be cool. I'd rather have any of those guys over Scarecrow, Joker, Poison Ivy, and Catwoman.

DLC Inc fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Mar 29, 2017

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

FunkMonkey posted:

Have him be a black lantern. Really throw people a loving curveball.

this is how you bring back the Joker

or have Metallo infected with a joker virus

idc what the do as long if they really want to bring him back they go hogwild with it

gently caress make it a noob-smoke thing where joker venom infected another character so now it's two for one

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Evil Canadian posted:

If Joker is in the game he should just be in versus and not appear in the story. The "proper" universe isn't here to bail out the injustiverse so unless something retarded like Batman felt bad for joker and put the 2 halfs of him that supes ripped apart in the lazarus pit he just shouldn't be around.

I mean NRS sorta already pulled this in MKX. The default looks for Liu Kang/Kung lao/Kitana do not exist in the storymode and were fakeouts as they were dead/revenants the whole time.

I liked how they did this, they had their cake and ate it too: had the evil versions for Story but also did a good job with the "what if they lived and got old?" default variants

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Probably will get lost in the shuffle but NRS has been continuously improving the face tech by an impressive margin, jeez

https://c1.staticflickr.com/4/3720/33660995216_b748d96077_o.jpg

Oh yeah and Captain Cold looks loving awesome, did not expect his moveset to look so rad. Scarecrow I still don't understand how he has these powers but his sick chainsickle is really cool and he looks good.

DLC Inc fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Mar 30, 2017

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I literally remember nothing about Killer Frost but am assuming she just had a generic freeze ball and ice slide. Captain Cold appears to be able to freeze midcombo and create smashable ice walls so he's already looking much more interesting than a guest-appearance Sub-Zero ever will. In fact I hope none of the ninjas show up and we get Mad Max instead.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Sinners Sandwich posted:

Braniac, Darksied, Joker. Do you think there counting DLC characters or premium skins as thier own thing on the site?

there's like 11 slots left. taking away darkseid/joker there's 9 left which matches up with the number of 9 DLC people we're getting. I expected this but did hope they wouldn't have left those other slots there for long-reaching DLC.

If they don't use April 1st for as a Red Hood/Joker fakeout then their media guys deserve to be fired lol

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Jimmy Hats posted:

Yeah april 1st should be a fake joker reveal but then the joke will be that it's a real reveal, and the joke will be on us :(

Joker steps into view, then suddenly melts and reforms. Plastic Man revealed.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

i'd accept joker if his gear includes the "ripped-off face stapled back on" along with his mechanic attire. Or at the very least his weird-rear end haircut and empty eyes he had in the Endgame comics.

Is Joker still dead in the comics and did they ever do anything with the "there are actually 3 Jokers and one might be immortal" poo poo

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

AndyElusive posted:

Totally digging Captain Cold. He's exceeding my expectations which were pretty low after seeing him briefly in an earlier trailer for the story. Even his voice is perfect for a smarmy dude with a freeze gun and his fighting style looks fun.

Somehow Bane still looks boring.

My Bane will be fabulous with all the hopefully outlandish lucha gear I put on him to disguise his Reebok Sneaker look

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I approve of any/all Gavok posts and am looking forward to the 16 new character writeups :thumbsup: Captain Cold and Firestorm's should be fun.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

lol was just thinking how Wonder Twins would be an incredible left-field DLC choice. They should totally do it for real.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

FunkMonkey posted:

This would actually be a good one if it were even remotely believable any sane person would have the Wonder Twins in their game.

I mean, many people want Red Hood, a guy whose power is "wears a dumb mask and has a gun" so I'd welcome something like "twin magic elves who turn into water and tigers"

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Lurdiak posted:

I hope the thread title was serendipitous so that I can astound everyone with this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3H5zXh6MVvg

haha that's exactly what I was thinking of. I only just saw it months ago and was amazed at how great the intro is.

Reading the Atrocitus bio and ending with "now he's just a regular villain again" is why I dislike DC. They continuously, almost accidentally, let great narratives happen and then just reboot poo poo back to the most boring and bloodless status quo. How can anyone bear reading a comics license that repeatedly retcons every single thing? How could anyone get away with this poo poo like 5 times already?

DLC Inc fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Apr 2, 2017

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

I'm more upset about them going the same route with Bane. Having him clean of Venom and having settled his beef with Batman (he even asked Bruce for help every now and then!) was much more interesting than the junkie obsessed with Batman that seemingly can't go five minutes without saying how he will break you.

gently caress you DC :argh:

lol that pissed me off so much more than even Riddler. he just completely goes nuts and literally says "oh I'm bane, I break people, that's what I do" loving why, it's not like Batman was starved for villains, they were making new ones like The Talons and Dr. Hurt at an insane clip

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

looking forward to seeing how much they improved on Catwoman's model but I also hope it's a 2-for-1 deal, would be weird to do a stream of just one character

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Evil Canadian posted:

I guess lets see whether or not Catwoman is in the new coat of paint camp like batman/superman or completely reinvented like wonder woman.

Gameplay wise she was perfectly fine in terms of what she had, but by NRS standards and how varied the characters can get, she was awfully by the numbers rushdown. Compared to say how Cheetah seems to be now, a rushdown pixie grappler with divekicks and demon flips, straight rushdown seems a bit vanilla.

further evidence that she was def not needed in this game, especially with the Batman character quotient. Maybe they'll take a page from SNK and just copy Whip's moveset

edit: here's the gameplay trailer. she looks boring but whatever

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wBcK5myUTac

DLC Inc fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Apr 3, 2017

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

Catwoman:

Cons: Overall seems fine but nothing spectacular

Pros: You can summons cats

The pros have it!

I have to agree, I'm liking the amount of abilities that utilize cats. Atrocitus and Catwoman paving the way for Ozymandias and his Bubastis summon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Kelp Plankton posted:

What characters on this roster haven't interacted before? Or haven't more than like once in some obscure thing? I'm curious what characters they have to invent stuff for.

The following characters are all new to the game:

Atrocitus
Brainiac
Black Canary
Blue Beetle
Captain Cold
Cheetah
Doctor Fate
Darkseid
Deadshot
Firestorm
Gorilla Grodd
Poison Ivy
Robin, Damian Wayne edition
Scarecrow
Swamp Thing
Supergirl

If you're talking about like, in the comics, then probably Damian and Swamp Thing are the most unique ousiders but I could be wrong. I hope Darkseid and Blue Beetle get a "you look like a goober" "so do you" intro.

MKX was great at this but the DLC characters had pretty much no interactions besides "ready to fight" or "what are you doing here" which I understand since its DLC, but I do hope they did their homework with future characters and even premiere skin stuff. Granted it's a lot of extra work but NRS has always been the tops when it comes to presentation and longform support of the games.

• Locked thread