Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
In the Injustice comics he took her to an alternate dimension where Ollie was alive and the Dinah of that universe was dead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
The Injustice comics are also mildly noteworthy for having such bad inking and coloring that the original line artist was like gently caress this poo poo and redid it himself for the trade paperbacks

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Wanderer posted:

Somebody--it might have been a goon in BSS--edited that sequence of panels to include the phrase "Fill my hole, Superman," and every time I see those panels, I forget that was an edit for a second.

That was an edit?

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Supes isn't weak to magic tho, he's just affected by it instead of shrugging it off like he would a laser beam or bullet

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Gavok posted:

I guess I might as well get on with it.

GUIDE TO THE INJUSTICE 2 ROSTER: INTRODUCTION

Before I get to the game's cast, let's take a quick look at the DC universe itself.

DC's continuity is a complicated mess. Originally, back in the 30's and 40's, DC hit the scene with Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern, Flash and other Golden Age heroes. Popularity died down a bit except for the first three (early Wonder Woman sold a lot through the years due to being a thinly-veiled fetish comic) and during the late 50's/early 60's, DC reintroduced a lot of their ideas. Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman were more or less the same concepts, but Green Lantern went from being a magical dude in a cape to a space cop in spandex and the Flash went from being a dude dressed as Mercury to a masked man with lightning bolt ears. Eventually, they figured out a storyline reason for this. The Golden Age of DC took place on Earth-2 while the "modern" stuff took place on Earth-1. This was discovered when 60's Flash teleported himself to Earth-2 to meet the original Flash. This also meant that Earth-2 Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman were all about 20 years older than their modern counterparts.
'
They did a lot of inter-dimensional crossovers and over the next twenty years created a lot of new universes with their own continuities (ie. the world where the heroes are villains and vice versa). This became a huge headache and DC wanted to simplify things so new readers could get into comics easier. In the mid-80's, DC did a huge event story called Crisis on Infinite Earths. While an epic, it's also incredibly dense and boring. New readers think to check it out because it's important, only to be knocked into a coma. Anyway, the story had this big villain the Anti-Monitor show up to destroy most of the various alternate dimensions. In the end, the handful of remaining ones were merged together, Anti-Monitor was destroyed and continuity sort of rewrote itself.

Now DC could write a ton of stuff from the ground up. A chunk of the continuity stayed the same, only DC decided that Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman were never part of the Justice League for the sake of writing stories where Superman and Batman could meet for the first time. Also, characters like Captain Marvel (Shazam) and Blue Beetle, from other comic companies DC had bought out, were now part of the same world instead of just being from alternate realities.

Then in the 90's there was this story called Zero Hour where an evil Hal Jordan and another guy tried to change history andĄ­ hell if I know. I tried reading it and couldn't get past the first issue. This again changed DC continuity, but more of a quick fix of different details than a major reboot.

In mid-00's, DC had some alternate universe survivors from Crisis on Infinite Earths show up to cause trouble in a big story called Infinite Crisis. In an attempt to bring back the multiverse and/or create a better world where comic heroes weren't violent rear end in a top hat failures, the villains accidentally caused another quick fix to continuity because why not (Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman were part of the original Justice League after all!). Also, there were now exactly 52 alternate universes.

Several years later, DC sales were completely in the shitter for anything that wasn't Batman or Green Lantern. Pressured by the higher ups, they desperately turned one of their upcoming Flash stories into an excuse to do another major reboot. The story Flashpoint -- which involved the Flash accidentally changing the world radically via time travel -- ended with Flash setting things back to normalĄ­ish. Characters from other continuities DC had written (like superhero teams the Authority and Gen 13 from their Wildstorm line) become integrated into DC's "New 52". DC ended all of their comics and restarted them at #1 with 52 titles. Batman and Green Lantern more or less kept their continuities in check, but nearly everything else got the axe.

Superman was no longer involved with Lois, certain popular characters didn't even exist anymore, Shazam had gone from pure-hearted to kind of a dopey rear end in a top hat, the original Batgirl could walk again just because, nobody was wearing underwear on the outside of their pants and superheroes had been in the public eye for five years. Because it came so suddenly, the whole thing was a mess. It helped sales initially, but at the end of the day, they were just rearranging chairs on the deck of the Titanic.

Injustice obviously isn't canon with DC continuity, but its character portrayals and inspirations come from the universe from just before Flashpoint happened. Meanwhile, the costume designs were based on the post-Flashpoint depictions.

Now, one of the reasons the game's story and the comic prequel worked so well because despite all the horrors, the message was still, "This isn't how things are supposed to be." That contrasted with DC's New 52 status quo, where everything appeared to be an overly gritty nightmare and near everyone was a violent rear end in a top hat. Once the honeymoon was over, DC's sales started to go south again while Marvel ate their lunch.

DC then did another multiverse-related event called Convergence. It didn't bring any meaningful change to the DC status quo or anything, but I feel it's worth mentioning since it was a plot heavily involving Brainiac and it temporarily killed off the Injustice universe.

More recently, DC started an event/status quo/massive apology called DC Rebirth. Wally West Flash was never really brought into the New 52, so his pre-Flashpoint self would appear as a fading ghost, calling out to people who had no idea who he was. Then Barry Allen Flash was all, "Uh... who are you and what are you talking abou--OH poo poo, WALLY?! DUDE! What the hell?!" He brought him back to solid form and we discovered that Barry Allen's recklessness did NOT create the New 52.

Nope. Instead, the New 52 was created by Dr. Manhattan. From Watchmen. They're seriously building towards a DC/Watchmen crossover storyline. They also used Watchmen as a scapegoat, saying, "We're really sorry that our comics have been grimdark and hopeless for so long, but this is all Alan Moore's fault for making Watchmen! We'll be better now, we promise!" Ugh.

And to their credit, DC has been crawling out of its creative hole, especially with the comics born out of Rebirth. Their comics have been getting way better while Marvel's been losing major steam.

Which part of this is the part where there's a Superman from The Actual Real World With DC Comics and Everything who turns evil and tries to kill his writers or something

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

I don't know if any court of law would call what happened "murder"

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

https://twitter.com/REAL_DaveStream/status/868991299629834243

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Funny you mention that

Sometimes dead is better

• Locked thread