Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Milo and POTUS posted:

It's an amazing ep

Nothing will ever be funnier than "I am the mack daddy of Heimlich County, I play it straight up, yo!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Cowslips Warren posted:

Dale would have been fine with Joseph playing D&D because of all the strange magic symbols that the government doesn't want you to know about!

It's occult, Hank, you wouldn't understand.

poo poo, has Dale ever been inside a church he wasn't bug-killing in? It amuses me to think of him smoking up in there.

I still love the Ren Faire episode where Dale insists that he should get the period costume discount since he's dressed like he's from the future and the future is a period.

And it's not even an excuse to get a discount for wearing his regular clothes, he went to the effort of dressing up like he's in Starfleet. It's a pretty low-rent costume, but still.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

Yeah it's the south, everyone is a default church-goer. And Dale has his reasons I'm sure.

Nancy wants him out of the house and part of the normie civic community at least once a week

Plus it lets him keep tabs on the local cults

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Honestly I can kinda see why Nancy cheats on Dale. In theory Dale is crazy about her, yeah, but every sign is he's a pretty lovely husband who's always running off on some bullshit, and barely knows anything about her or makes effort to spend time with her day to day, hence why she finds the affair so goddamn easy.

Well yeah, he admits as much himself in the episode where she STOPS cheating, he has that whole speech about how her migraines are a desperate bid for his attention while he gets too distant and wrapped up in his own weird little world. He's oblivious to the infidelity on a conscious level, but he's not totally lacking in perceptiveness.

Part of me wonders what Nancy initially saw in him, I don't think they ever got into that. Hank and Bill wooed their future spouses when they were highschool football studs, how the hell did Dale the social anxiety towel manager get Nancy?

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Fur20 posted:

lenore was a stripper at bill's bachelor party iirc

Naw, Bill was Prom King and Lenore stole him away from whoever was Prom Queen

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

SettingSun posted:

Excellent grouping Colonel! Plus those hollowpoints penetrated Shakespeare into the so-called 'joyous comedies'. As You Like It? Well, I like it plenty.

This line always stuck out to me for some reason. I always got the impression that for as dumb as he demonstrably is, he's probably the most well-read of the main cast. Dale, and Peggy too I suppose, are the only ones I can picture reading a book of their own volition.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

naem posted:

Peggy IS Luanne, or was until she married Hank

she comes from a family who can’t keep their trailer from tipping over, very humble beginnings

Peggy is Luanne without the undiagnosed dyslexia

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Dale: in prison for being at Jan. 6, Nancy leaves him and she remarries to John Redcorn
Boomhauer: shoots a kid in the line of duty as a Texas Ranger, moves to another state and stays a cop
Bill: dead

The alley's awful quiet lately. Yup.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

bobjr posted:

It was Hank! Dang ol’ Hank loves hookers!

He IS the Mack Daddy of Heimlich County after all

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

I still can't fathom how Cotton Hill, a deranged foul-mouthed sourfaced shinless whoremonger, managed to seduce at least three women without money changing hands.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I think my guess would be that it was probably not long after Hank was grown up and out of the house, or at least big enough to take care of himself. 'Staying together for the kids' is generally a bad idea but I imagine she didn't want to have to deal with being a single mother, nor leave Hank's care to Cotton, but once she doesn't have a kid to be taking care of she has no more reason to stay.

It's really not too subtle that a huge reason why Hank is so repressed and struggles to express his emotions is because of Cotton outright terrorising him and his mother for their entire lives. Definitely one of those things where he understandably and rightly doesn't want to subject people to that but goes a bit too far the other way.

I always kinda figured that part of what Hank initially saw in Peggy was basically the opposite of his mom, who would disassociate as a defense mechanism when faced with Cotton's abusive bullshit and leave him to try and deal with it on his own. Meanwhile Peggy, for as monstrously overinflated as her ego is, will never simply disengage and take poo poo from anyone ever.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Or that time he tried to reclaim his high school touchdown record as a 40-year-old and horribly mangled all of his limbs

Or the time he got too into bodybuilding and gave himself a rectal prolapse

Or the time he set himself on fire re-deep-frying fried chicken

Asterite34 fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Jun 18, 2023

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

We know for a fact Hank laughs at Tony Danza, yet isn't super fond of Taxi, so I guess that makes him a Who's the Boss? kinda guy.

Also canonically loves The Beverly Hillbillies

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Maybe Buck left ownership of Sugarfoot's to Bobby in his will or something. He always had a soft spot for the kid, cartoonish degenerate irresponsibility aside.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Luanne and Lucky moved out west and got rich after the Manger Babies made it big, they have a syndicated children's television show with Lucky getting a segment where he and special musical guest John Redcorn perform songs about personal hygiene.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Jehde posted:

I don't buy the trope of Bill getting into "bad internet", he always seems like the type that would be on the other end of that dumb poo poo. Like unable to understand what/how/why it is, but disliking it anyways out of confusion. More the typical boomer trope I guess.

Dale becoming a communist and no one noticing, not even Dale, does completely track though.

Dale going full Tankie would track with that time he learned Russian just so he could learn how to drive a tank from Vladimir Putin's website

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

Oh crap I forgot Trip Larsen. But while he confessed his love to Luanne, I'm not sure she was ever really into him. Also he wasn't really in love her so much as he loved the idea of turning her into a fictional product mascot.

They made out in a hot air balloon and when asked how her job interview with him went, she said she'd gotten the position of his Girlfriend. She certainly seemed to think they were an item... you know, before he started showing off the crazy.

Frankly, Rhett was probably the best boyfriend she ever had pre-Lucky. Dude seemed nice, if a bit of a goober. Yeah he was a virgin who thought with his dick, but at least he was willing to commit.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

In hindsight it's kinda weird that Randy Travis agreed to voice the role of "real person Randy Travis, a liar who steals song lyrics and the accomplishments of others in general then gaslights about it." Other celebrity guest stars can be pretty self-effacing (Chuck Mangione being the common example), but not quite to that extent of allowing their real-life identity to be that associated with jackassery.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Man, Boomhauer really is the only one who might have had a conventionally healthy childhood, huh? Hank had deranged shinless monster Cotton and disocciated Tilly, Bill had his dad's regular spankings and forced crossdressing, and Dale was the social anxiety kid hiding under the lunchroom table and eating bugs for attention. Boomhauer? His dad's a doctor, nobody has an unkind word to say about either of his parents. I guess his younger brother's kind of a shithead? But not in a way that would gently caress up a person for life.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Cowslips Warren posted:

If Hank refused to take Bobby to the Barbie movie, because you know he wouldn't let him go alone, we know for a fact cotton would take him. Now. He would totally take out his hearing aids so he didn't have to listen to anything, but he would have no problem watching a bunch of attractive women jumping around in a movie for Bobby and maybe Good Hank.

Cotton hates war movies because they've never violent enough and it's never the right ages for the military.

Cotton, despite reveling in violence on a personal level, doesn't actually seem that fond of overly violent media that I can recall. Hell, the preview for Michael Bay's Pearl Harbor set off war flashbacks in the Japan episode. These days he seems to mostly like daytime tv judge shows. Well that and Skinemax, of course.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Ghost Leviathan posted:

And now I'm picturing Hank and Bill like shonen rivals 20 years after the finale where Naruto has nothing left to prove and is just left living his life and humouring Sasuke who's gotten fat and depressed after getting taken down a peg and never really recovered. And they're usually fine, playful ribbing about old times at worst, but then sometimes they get a little too into the sake and start tearing up the backyard until Hinata or whoever yells at them to knock it off.

This is probably way better than Boruto.

From what I dimly recall, Naruto becomes a workaholic paper-pushing bureaucrat who let his son grow up into an irresponsible shithead, and Sasuke is busy being Anime Batman and interacts with his wife so infrequently that there's a whole plot arc questioning where the hell his daughter even came from, because Sasuke Does Not gently caress.

Somehow, Orochimaru is the best dad on that show. Or possibly mom, I dunno, cloning experiments were involved.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Khanstant posted:

Lmao last I watched Naruto I think Sasuke and Naruto were finally doing their big no holds battle against each other. Of all you wrote, Naruto becoming a paper pusher is the most bizarre. Does it make sense or is it just something they decided when trying to make a Naruto 2 for whatever reason.

Hokages got a lot of paperwork :shrug:

Plus some sort of rumination by the author on how he became kind of a neglectful workaholic dad when he was working on OG Naruto I guess

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Shame, not only was he Dale, dude was lead writer on a lot of good episodes up through Season 5. They weren't usually the absolute funniest episodes in terms of having memorable zingers, but they tended to feel more real than usual, had a strong emotional core.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

It's not like it would be hard to write dale out of the show, if one were so inclined. Just say he's in jail for participating in January 6th or something. Government has to catch up to him eventually for something

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Another Bill posted:

Hank was totally horny for Nancy and those two girls at the end, the grill had nothing to do with it Peggy!

I can believe that Hank genuinely has nearly zero interest in other women. Every time he is in a compromising situation with a woman who isn't his wife, he reacts in abject horror and flees in a panic. He was a Texas highschool football star and never had a single romantic relationship or so much as a date with anyone but Peggy, to the point where he has absolutely no useful advice to give on how to pick up or break up with women. By his own admission he doesn't even like looking at pictures of naked people. If Bobby didn't exist I would assume Hank was just asexual.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

The episode with the pernicious Canadian was way worse, at least the Mrs Wakefield episode has a kinda absurdist slasher movie pastiche, it had SOMETHING.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

And people say the Mrs Wakefield episode is the worst one :allears:

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

SettingSun posted:

Ted: This is our founder: Mr. Tranh.

Hank: The hot sauce guy??

Peggy: You look much younger on the label.

Mr. Tranh: Uh, there's a rooster on the label...

This always seemed like a weird vaguely racist joke I just happened to not get, because when I saw that episode originally it had been edited down a little bit to fit the timeslot. Only years later did I see the uncut episode and saw that, yes, the founder of the club was actually a hot sauce magnate and that wasn't just a complete non-sequitur.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Dale is probably the easiest character to write out of the show just from the point of view of having lots and lots of plausible things that could take him out of action:

-cancer from smoking
-cancer from pesticides
-gun club accident
-unlicensed construction project accident
-fled the country due to paranoid delusion
-arrested for violent anti-government activiity
-black-bagged for knowing too much about a for-real conspiracy
-abducted by aliens
-finally learns the truth about Joseph, divorces Nancy and moves out of state

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Prof. Banks posted:

Have her be lying somewhere in the room for a bunch of episodes. Later it's revealed that she's been taxidermied and is just being drug from room to room by Hank.

Hank can talk to her when looking for moral guidance like his Tom Landry commemorative plate

...that is still the weirdest thing Hank has apparently done more than once.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Bread Zeppelin posted:

Is Hank's fixation on propane meant to be a way to show that he is an incredibly bland person, or did the writers not understand Texas and its love of wood smoked bbq? After living in Texas, I don't see how Hank could have had any friends with how much he talks about "tasting the meat and not the heat." He would have been shunned like a pariah for wanting to "bbq" on propane.

I think it's just a thing he latched onto purely by happenstance and just attributes infallible virtue to it after the fact to justify his devotion, while minimizing any perceived flaws. Same way be behaves about most of the things he's devoted to in life: Buck Strickland, the Dallas Cowboys, GWB, the Board of Zoning and Resources, his dad (mostly in his earlier appearances because even he couldn't ignore how much of a jackass Cotton was)

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

The Bible posted:

She's also a notary though, so there's that.

Pretty much every time we see her do domestic work, she fucks it up though. Destroyed Hank's jeans, ruined the yard with Winklebottom, killed every flower she tried to grow, ruined at least one Thanksgiving meal, and probably more I don't remember. Pretty much everything that makes the Hill house great was done/maintained by Hank, although he did once almost gas them to death. The only thing she really has is spapeggy and meatballs and maybe apple brown betties.

Peggy just fucks around all day with low-effort "intellectual" pursuits such as Boggle and writing terrible newspaper columns. Hank doesn't mind because it suits his 1950's attitude of "A woman's place is in the home" perfectly.

I feel that's just a product of the storytelling format that the audience only sees the time she fucks up and thus causes an actual story to happen. We don't see the 90% of the time Peggy does domestic things in a boringly competent manner that Hank has no complaints about. It's like on Star Trek we never see the 99 missions where they just scan some dull space rock and it's business as usual, we only watch the 1 time out of 100 where there's an all-powerful god-devil or something.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Code Jockey posted:

it is really no surprise that Peggy had a kid with Bill, football legend and army hero

That didn't happen

Bobby vaguely resembles Bill because Cotton slept with Bill's mom and he and Hank are half-brothers

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

namlosh posted:

He had enough pull with old war buddies to get that military school dude fired.

He didn’t even get to keep his Aeron chair

You know, considering he was sent there back when they WERE still all about beating kids with sacks of frozen oranges and locking them in concrete sheds for days at a time, no wonder Cotton ended up so... Cotton.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

dolphinbomb posted:

He'd lean on a desk with both hands and swing his leg at you. Then, when you were standing there shocked that a one-legged man had kicked you..

He'd bite ya.

It makes you wonder what the gently caress Cotton's childhood looked like that it included this (a memory that brought a nostalgic tear to his eye) followed by him lying about his age to go fight in the Pacific in WWII.

We never hear a word about Hank's grandpa, do we?

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Hihohe posted:

Id like to think his family just flip flops every generation on thier general demeanor. His granpa was just like hank while bobby is very much like cotton if you think about it.

So Cotton : Bobby :: Cotton's Dad : Hank?

Good Lord, no wonder Cotton would rather go off and get his shins shot off, that sounds unbearable

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

It took me a while to realize that they didn't actually get Jimmy Carter to voice himself in that episode

What? They got Actual Ann Richards, it could have happened!

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Milo and POTUS posted:

Were Dale and Peggy ever shown to get along?

Someone already mentioned the taxidermy B-plot in one episode, but in general it seems like Peggy has a better understanding of Dale's weird neuroses than most other people, and while Dale finds Peggy's bookishness boring, he's a fellow afficianado of Zany Schemes

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

This makes me wonder: what's the most bizarre thing Hank has ever done? Because Hank is a guy who is really big into adhering to social norms, so when he gets weird you know it's serious.

My vote is the time he sat in the living room and talked to a Tom Landry commemorative plate asking it for moral guidance. A thing that he's apparently done more than once in the past.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Oh wait, I thought of another good one:

The time he got so obsessed with figuring out how a stage magician did a magic trick that he sealed Peggy up in a wooden crate without any air holes until she talked. He was planning on sitting there all day until Bobby reminded him they were gonna be late for church.