Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

I love when Peggy states plain facts as her opinion.

Hank, the day after Thanksgiving is, in my opinion, the busiest shopping day of the year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Another Bill posted:

I had a real Hank Hill moment today. I was spray painting some warhammer terrain pieces with primer, but I didn't want to get paint on my grass lawn. I searched and searched for some old newspaper to put down but I'd bagged it all for recycling already, but I remembered I had a spare tarpaulin in my shed.

I went to pull it out, but hesitated when I thought to myself "well, I don't want to ruin a perfectly good piece of tarp!"

Long story short, I used the tarp.

Now I'm imagining an episode about Warhammer. Bobby or Joseph would discover a wargaming store and then Bill or Dale would see them playing and take it to way too far themselves. The episode ends after Hank convinces Bill to pay his mortgage instead of buying Titans to be popular with his horrible new wargaming buddies. So basically a nerdier rewrite of the episode where Bill joins the mens chorus.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Hihohe posted:

Bobby would get into for the fluff and the painting but hank would turn into a hardcore grognard. Hank would slap a single coat og paint on his Salamanders and call it good. Peggy trys to play orks but her dice rolls just suck for some reason. The end of the episode they learn that they all like something different about the game but they are forced to quit as new rules drop and kill the game.

Detective No. 27 posted:

Doesn't Warhammer involve a lot of measuring distances? It would end up being like the rose episode where Hank would get too into Warhammer himself.Hank would construct the hell out of a play table. (I have never played Warhammer.)

Oh poo poo how didn't I see it before. It's typical for his character too, he became addicted to a GTA clone the minute he saw there was propane in it.

Also maybe Hank would create his own SM chapter, the fluff being that their fortress monastery (in the shape of Big Tex) orbits a gas giant that's somehow nearly pure propane. The chapter masters name is Striklandus.

Punkinhead fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Aug 6, 2019

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Dale really is great. He thinks of his dad as a womanizing cowboy and hates him, then he thinks he's a government agent and hates him even more, then he finds out that he's just gay and instantly everything is okay and he loves him again.

He's also the best kind of gun owner. When he makes booby-traps they're just pellet guns, and even in the episode where he has illusions of grandeur and pretends to be a mercenary he's not conceal carrying a pistol, he throws sand in a guys face. He doesn't ever want to hurt anyone with a gun. The only time I can remember him seriously armed and ready to fight was when he thought someone was breaking into Josephs room in the middle of the night, he loving rolls into the room with 2 guns and 0 fear.

Although he did open an illegal gun store/shooting range that sold guns for far too cheap and certainly didn't do background checks, pobodies nerfect.

Edit : holy poo poo I'm rewatching the episode where Dale finds out his dad's gay. "Nancy I don't know what to do, nobodies ever deceived me before!"

Punkinhead fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Aug 6, 2019

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

hawowanlawow posted:

the Bobby grilling episode is really, really fuckin bad

Spoilers for Rupert Buttermilk and anyone else who might actually care about spoilers.

I'm not sure if I'd call it bad, but I really don't know how I feel about it revealing that Boomhauer is a Texas Ranger. I feel like it's supposed to be a "woah!" moment and it kind of was, but it also feels pretty weak and like a missed opportunity if he really was a Ranger all this time. Or if they just slapped it on last minute like an afterthought.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

I'm actually kind of struggling to think of why someone would think Lucky is the worst character. The only reason I can think of is that I know some type A personality types who really resent lazy people who stumble through life, thinking it unfair or gross that people like that exist while they try very hard. Kind of like Grimey Grimes and Homer Simpson.

TheKingslayer posted:

It's hilarious and sad this rule had to be laid out.

Rules like that have to be laid out clearly or else you get the first season of Family Guy, where eyes shrink and grow between scenes because they weren't standardized lol. It's also the only time you see Brian casually sitting like a dog, for the same reason.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

There's a plethora of weird King of the Hill tattoos

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

It is weird how many comedies from the 90s just straight up poo poo all over hippie culture every chance they get. I always attributed it to Mike Judge/Matt Stone/Trey Parker being in the punk scene in their youth, and back then punks really hated hippies.

ninja edit : I just remembered there's even an episode of Daria where the parents old hippy friends come over and come to the realization that being a hippy is dumb. Mike Judge didn't even have anything to do with that show.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

BigDave posted:

Generation X backlash against their Boomer parents who CHANGED HISTORY MAN!!

Oh gently caress that's exactly it. There's a scene in SLC Punk about exactly that.

found it : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKHDVt9UDnE&t=45s

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

haljordan posted:

Joe Jack is the best secondary character by the way. Him and his mini canteen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cIlBEsLreV0

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

"What would you have done with your streetwalkers gold, eh? Bought more of these... Double stuffed... Chocolate... Sandwich cookies!? J'accuse!"

*Bill Noises*

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I hope this isn't a complaint because these past few pages have contained some of the best posts I've seen in a while.

I'm just happy that you're happy.

I have no right to complain, as the man who started the King of the 40k derail a while back.

Edit : God Emperor of the Hill

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

TheKingslayer posted:

Man the episode where Bobby takes home ec and Peggy feels threatened is uncomfortable. Hilarious, but uncomfortable.

I love this episode, and a moment I'm personally ashamed of is getting actually mad that some dumb youtuber called it one of the worst episodes of all time.

The dudes main problem with it is that it's unrealistic for a mother to be jealous of their children.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8FOlcuUiFo

Here's the review in question, he has another video later titled "unpopular king of the hill opinions" and I'm almost afraid to watch it.

Edit : It's just so weird how it seems like if a character makes this character mad by acting like a bad person it's somehow a "bad" episode

Punkinhead fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Nov 19, 2019

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Hihohe posted:

lucky is the best addition to late King of the Hill

It really blows my mind how much some people hate Lucky, he's basically half the reason to watch the later seasons.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

In 2005 the episode came out where John Redcorn transitions from failed lead singer to a childrens entertainer by reworking his inappropriate songs. Almost a full 10 years later, in 2014 Parks and Recreation character Andy transitions from failed lead singer to a childrens entertainer by reworking his previous songs. The voice of John Redcorn, Jonathan Joss, also plays a native American on Parks and Recreation.

I don't have a point, just pointing out a couple of coincidences. Thank you for coming to my Ted Talk.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

"My people do not wish death to the people of Denton, but a crushing victory would be just swell"

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Another Bill posted:

lol that you used the singular just lol

Srs though John Redcorn pillaging the white man's women, in Texas no less, is an A+ piece of satire.

And the fact that Dale, the guy who is unknowingly raising his son, is the only reason John Redcorn got that land back from the government. Dale did it just because of how much he loves his friend and hates his government. Ironic as hell and sweet to boot.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

TheKingslayer posted:

Season 11+ is so much more weird than I remember.

The episode where Khan, in a manic state, invents a robotic grill that can make burgers by itself would have been the real shark jumping episode if they got another season.

There are some other weird ones before that but that one sticks out to me

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

TheKingslayer posted:

Episode where Bill and Principal Moss live together is hosed.

At least it has this wonderful shot

Punkinhead fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Jan 30, 2020

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

you broke my grill posted:

that's not the same episode

You're right, I often accidentally lump up season 13 episodes

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

If you can watch this Boomhauer scene without laughing hysterically we can't be friends.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T1fDVUHZ44E

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

A business management game but each level is a different location in Arlen.

Strickland Propane
Sugarfoots
That head shop bobby goes to for rose advice
Megalomart
Peggys Books/Dales Guns store
Jimmys Racetrack Concessions
Jacks Barbershop

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

"If there's one thing I've learned in my 20 years of barbering is it will grow back. Whether you do a good job or a bad job, it will grow back."

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

FREE DIABETES SCREENING!

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

I don't think Ted Wassanasong gets enough credit for being a terrible person.

Sure, he doesn't gamble away his payroll or sexually assault women like Buck Strickland does, but he was perfectly willing and eager even to send 8 armed Laotians to their death in some extremely pathetic attempt to impress a Laotian guerrilla fighter.

It was either an attempt to impress the old guy or Ted genuinely thought he had a shot at starting an insurrection, I'm not sure which is worse.

Edit : I also think he forbids Chane from dating Connie, which might explain why Chane is always after Connie and actually makes me a tiny itty bit sympathetic for Chane Wassanasong which is nuts.

Punkinhead fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Mar 2, 2020

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Daikloktos posted:

He thought that maintaining a connection with the resistance in Laos would give the Laotian community more political power here.

If what Khan said is true then he was going to paradrop 8 riflemen to march on the capitol lol, unless Ted is incredibly dumb or incredibly uncaring then there are better ways to get clout with the resistance.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Also this scene from another episode

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ilLPLd6GTbw

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

I think it's safe to say most of us love King of the Hill, but are there episodes you don't have fun watching? I'd be interested to hear which episodes people think are unfunny or annoying. They don't have to be really bad episodes or anything. Just ones you personally don't like watching as much as the others.

Like, I'm not a huuuge fan of the episode where that violent crazy guy takes over the gun club. It just doesn't have me cracking up like most episodes.

And the episode where the football player moves into the neighborhood and acts like a huge jerk. There's some good jokes in that episode but I get so unironically aggravated that I just don't have fun when I'm watching the episode lol.

Punkinhead fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Mar 17, 2020

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

I definitely understand why. It's mostly the same joke throughout the whole episode, the joke being that Hank has a flat butt. But there is exactly one joke worth watching the episode for. Peggy lures Hank to a group meeting for people with flat butts, and she does so by pretending there is a propane emergency.

Afterwards Hank is grateful but says "On a serious note Peggy, don't ever report a false propane emergency again."

And Peggy says "Believe me, I prayed on it Hank and God said to me 'Don't do it!' but you know what? I knew better!"

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

After seeing how absolutely amazing the 2 part Japan episodes were, I would have liked to see them do it with Cottons ashes. Honestly I think it would have made a decent movie.

The movie starts on the first day of Summer and Khan is showing off his new RV, a surprisingly common trope in movies in the 80s and 90s. He's bragging about all of his different vacation ideas when Hank finds out Cotton has died. Cotton says he wants his ashes thrown in a Washington DC politicians face, and Hank at first completely refuses the idea but Peggy, wanting an excuse to go to DC, convinces Hank to find a statue of a politician he doesn't like to throw the ashes at. Hank agrees and inspired by Khan rents an RV for the trip. Dale convinces Hank to let him and Joseph come so the boys can spend summer together, and Khan insists he bring his family and RV along too. He claims this is to let Connie hang out with her friends for the summer and to break in his new RV, but in reality he is heartbroken that the only American to ever recognize him as a Laotian has died and he wants to attend the "ceremony".

The movie ends when Dale "pocket ashes" Bill Clinton right in the face.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

And Bill's got a whole fancy family.

Unfortunately not, according to Gilbert

"There's no one but us? But what about Aunt Esme, and cousin Violetta?"

"Aunt Esme died of fever, Violetta died suddenly in her sleep. The swamp takes what it calls its' own. Let me tell you of our ill-fated kin. Consumption, drink, impostor, madhouse, public madhouse, barren, barren, barren... well pretty much this whole left side. Leaving only us."

Punkinhead fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Mar 23, 2020

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Born in Texas, raised in Arizona and I've never heard "fairybook" but it sounds like southern nonsense.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Another Bill posted:

I was watching some 30 Rock the other night and the line "Sherlock Homo and the case of the very gay sweater" got a double take from me.

Also the way she constantly resents and tries to control Cerie. Not to mention when she not only slut-shames a fellow comedian, but ends up getting so hung up on it that she ruins the poor womans life.

The entire show is framed as if Liz is the only sane one, and that anyone who doesn't actively avoid sex like she does is an idiot. I still like the show, maybe for the nostalgia, but it's definitely uncomfortable at times.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

pixaal posted:

Sorry I was rebutting that it was an animation error where the drive thru was set up for driving on the right instead of left.

I was supporting it was just Dale being Dale or an animation issue not an asset production error.

Don't worry he's full of poo poo. First time I ever got drunk I tried to walk through a drive thru and the employees were very rude to me.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Detective No. 27 posted:

The tarot card episode is a weird dying echo of the satanic panic.

I thought it was a bitingly accurate satire of people I knew in highschool...

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Detective No. 27 posted:

Alright alright, but I figure those people would have been playing Magic the Gathering rather than tarot.

That line was perfect.

Yeah I could see how you'd get to that conclusion, but in my personal experience the "kids that believe magic is real" and "kids that play collectible card games" don't actually line up all that much. MTG nerds are your run of the mill nerds, they like Harry Potter. That group in the episode loathes Harry Potter.

For example in highschool I was taking a walk with my girflriend and our mutual friend in the desert when our friend just suddenly crouched down in the dirt and drew a pentagram and said "the next person to walk here is going to trip, I placed a hex here"

She didn't even know what MTG was lol, and her parents were much like the kid in the episodes mom. Totally gross and irresponsible. Their apartment had no furniture, if you don't count butane torches and a lone couch.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Doppelganger posted:

I never really liked Hank having the whole neighborhood wrapped around his finger when it came to his prejudice against charcoal

It's more that older guys in particular get mad if their close friends don't come to them for their professional services, they feel slighted.

It's like Dale and his bug spraying business, if anyone in the neighborhood called in an Orkin man he'd be hurt. And in Bobs Burgers just look at Bob and Teddy. If Bob used another handyman Teddy would lose his mind.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

joshtothemaxx posted:

Pigmalion isn't good. But then it's redeemed tenfold the next week with Megalo Dale.

I'm not a fan of Pigmalion either but everyone else seems to love it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

precision posted:

Bobby episodes > Peggy episodes

What about the episode with both, like "Old Glory" and "Goodbye Normal Jeans"?