Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

King Possum III
Feb 15, 2016

"Bobby, no! That's pig water."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Possum III
Feb 15, 2016

Highbrow Slick posted:

Jimmy Wichard is good for a great line in pretty much every episode he's in

"It's the poo-man! And he's pickin' poo! Let's mash him!"

"I work at the car race, where the cars race."

"I'm the boss!"

King Possum III
Feb 15, 2016

"I ain't got no learning?"

King Possum III
Feb 15, 2016

"Those are propane accessories and you will treat them with respect!"

King Possum III
Feb 15, 2016

...and the pitch! posted:

It's a great episode. Bug (?) Gribble is maybe my favorite one shot character.

edit: and it's Dave Herman again. That guy can do it all!

Bug Gribble also turned up briefly in the episode that had Bobby learning ventriloquism ("fluttering butterflies!").
It was the flashback sequence that explained Dale's horror at seeing Chip Block.

King Possum III
Feb 15, 2016

Wicker Man posted:

Bartoof, the wonder dog!

I think it was "Tartuffe, the spry wonder dog."

King Possum III
Feb 15, 2016

Kahn occasionally shows flashes of humanity, but not often. His heartfelt eulogy at Buckley's funeral surprised me.

King Possum III
Feb 15, 2016

Wicker Man posted:

His brother sucks so much.

Which brother; Junichiro or GH?

King Possum III
Feb 15, 2016

cool new Polack jokes posted:

I think he means Bill's brother

Bill didn't have a brother as far as I know; maybe he was thinking of Bill's cousin, Gilbert?

King Possum III
Feb 15, 2016

Nooner posted:

Gilbert was so good haha

I loved the way Gilbert "cruised" Buck Strickland, telling him that he could show him a thing or two.

King Possum III
Feb 15, 2016

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

is the episode where bill gets his legs back and beats up the doctor considered a win for bill?

As Peggy would say, "HOO-yeah!"

King Possum III
Feb 15, 2016

Testikles posted:

Some rough math.

Hank probably makes anywhere from $40,000 - $70,000 a year. It was really hard to pin down what an assistant manager would make because there isn'ta lot of info, but one article estimated Hank makes about $43,000 which seems a little low. I got a range of anywhere from maybe $20,000 to $100,000 for a full manager, depending on what exactly they're managing. It's a small store, independently run, and Buck is doing very well for himself clearly, so Buck is likely the one earning the 100K. Buck would not pay Hank that much, and because he keeps Hank as an assistant manager, he probably has the ability to pay him a lot less. My unscientific wager is that he probably makes something closer to $50,000. He is likely not near the high-end because he worries about budgeting but he is not strapped for cash and has money for things like his lawn, his truck, house renovations, etc. and raising Bobby.

Peggy contributes very little to the household finances. She'd get paid $90.00 a day in Texas as a certified substitute teacher. If she is a busy substitute teacher (which she probably isn't because her main territory is Arlen), she might work 60% of the school year, and bring home maybe a total of $8,000 to $9,000. If she really does manage to get a lot of work and we're really generous and say she's subbing 80% of the year, she's only pulling in $13,000 at best.

The Hill household probably has a combined income of anywhere from $48,000 to $83,000. I'd say it's likely something like (rounding up) $60,000 a year. Arlen likely has a low cost of living so it goes even further, combined with Hank's frugality. They aren't rich (though when you consider many parts of America they're rather wealthy), but they are very comfortable. It also demonstrates why Hank losing his job to Mega-Lo Mart was so disastrous. They'd go from a household income of $60,000 to something closer to $23,000 if Hank worked full-time hours (estimated 2080 hours a year with $7.25 minimum wage).

*All numbers based on 2017 numbers.

"Pump jockey! Works for tips!"

King Possum III
Feb 15, 2016

Operation Infinite Walrus could've stopped the commies in their tracks if they ever came swarming across the Bering Straits.

King Possum III
Feb 15, 2016

Testikles posted:

He has one credit card he carries for emergencies and the only other one he might have he used to get a discount on a dryer.

Breaking down their finances. Hank and Peggy probably put the generally accepted 10% into a 401K. So that leaves them with $54,000. I vaguely recall reading in this thread Hank might have already paid off most of the house, but assuming he has a regular mortgage, and Hank being Hank, he probably has a stupidly short one to get things over with and pay it all off as fast as possible. Let's assume a 15 year mortgage (why not), and he has another roughly $15,000 a year to pay off a likely $180,000 house (about the median value). Keeping the math simple that leaves him with $39,000. He also has to pay property tax (there is no income tax in Texas) which is 1.94% but to make the math easier let's make it a flat $4,000. The Hills have $35,000 or just under $3,000 a month for all three of them for groceries, bills, truck payments and so on. That's still pretty good considering.

He probably pays quite a bit for homeowner's insurance, and he'd definitely want good policies on his truck and Peggy's car.

He'd have medical coverage on himself, Peggy, and Bobby too. Buck Strickland would probably skimp as much as possible on insurance for his employees, so Hank's premiums would be rather high, and deducted from his paycheck.

King Possum III
Feb 15, 2016

FuhrerHat posted:

hank would NOT care about pulp

But it's medium.

King Possum III
Feb 15, 2016

Saalkin posted:

I use this term all the time when someone has to sit in between two other dudes and noone ever understands :(

Has to sit?

I'd put it differently; Pierre gets to sit between two other dudes!

King Possum III
Feb 15, 2016

"At Mega-lo Mart, you're shopping for the rest of your life"

King Possum III
Feb 15, 2016

Gaunab posted:

Owen Wilson was the guy who Luanne almost married.

"The Vandergrafs!"

King Possum III
Feb 15, 2016

...and the pitch! posted:

I could swear that Hank happily grills on coal at the end of that Jane cult episode.

Heretic!

King Possum III
Feb 15, 2016

mojo1701a posted:

"Octavio!" is just so fun to exclaim.

Octavio's an interesting guy. We don't know much about him, but he'll do Dale's bidding for a few bucks.

King Possum III
Feb 15, 2016

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

COTTON: Preacher, if y'all are still in the baptizin' business, I'd like you to drown my boy Hank.

"I didn't drown that boy!"

King Possum III
Feb 15, 2016

N. Senada posted:

that diet dr pepper can is really undermining the whole aesthetic

"Yes, of course it's name brand soda. It is MegaLo Mart Private Stock."

Aesop Poprock posted:

Are there clips of this and the ladies room birth scene anywhere cause I can't find them :smith:

I've seen every episode many times, and I don't think the series ever showed Hank's actual birth in the ladies' room at Yankee Stadium.

I remember the lawnmower focus group episode where the ex-minister who botched a baptism dozes off. Then, when someone nudges him awake, he sputters, "I didn't drown that boy!" If the full episode's available online, surely that scene wouldn't have been trimmed out. But I could be wrong.

King Possum III
Feb 15, 2016

Smiling Mandrill posted:

Along the saame lines of "I din't drown that boy!" I love the time Buck Strickland hears some kid say daddy and instinctively shouts "I AIN"T YA DADDY!"

Another great line was when Bobby first approaches the rodeo clowns, one of them tells him, "I don't know what your mama told you, but I had a vasectomy in 1985."

I loved it when one of them resentfully told Bobby to "go back to the seventh grade."

King Possum III
Feb 15, 2016

Houle posted:

Also that's hilarious how terribly unsexy Peggy was during the hot tubbing with Hank and Nancy. She wears a nose plug, full on shower cap, and full on body suit.

Remember the episode where Luanne becomes a recycled virgin? (Hank: "The Vandergrafs!")

When Peggy emerges from a river baptism, she looks pretty shapely as her filmy white clothes cling to her body. Hank seems to be getting super turned on while watching this. She looks pretty good when we occasionally see her in her nightgown, too.

King Possum III
Feb 15, 2016

King Possum III
Feb 15, 2016

King Possum III
Feb 15, 2016

"I feel so alive with pleasure!

King Possum III
Feb 15, 2016

BoldFrankensteinMir posted:

The episode where everyone takes up cigarettes is like a brilliant short film. It would be right at home in a Spike & Mike compilation.

(From a different episode)
"Oh, but I thought you quit smoking, Hank! Because cigarettes cause deeeath... They do you know, so go easy on 'em."

Lol @ the scene where Peggy is caught smoking in a closet and says,

"Can't you see that I am knitting?"

King Possum III
Feb 15, 2016

"Could you gentlemen spare a beer for a lady?"

King Possum III
Feb 15, 2016

The Wonder Weapon posted:

I was watching S10 (I think) last night, the one where Peggy unknowingly befriends what I believe is supposed to be someone that's trans.

Carolyn was a transvestite/drag queen/cross dresser. She wasn't transgender, for which "trans" is shorthand.

King Possum III
Feb 15, 2016

HAT FETISH posted:

Did they do these for any other episodes or is this a one-off thing?

No, it was just the one episode when Bill impersonated his ex-wife, Lenore.

Ein cooler Typ posted:

I forget which episode but Hank makes a disparaging comment about a clerk at some business who is "in-between genders"

That episode mentioned a bank teller who was "between genders," who was drawn as a mannish, square-jawed transwoman.

King Possum III
Feb 15, 2016

"I am the Mac Daddy of Heimlich County."

King Possum III
Feb 15, 2016

"Yes, Hank. Of course he is"

King Possum III
Feb 15, 2016

"Barkingham Palace"

King Possum III
Feb 15, 2016

Gaunab posted:

How are his hands soft if he owns a ranch?

His staff would hire illegal Mexicans to do the landscaping and take care of the horses.

King Possum III
Feb 15, 2016

Bombadilillo posted:

Peggy's Mom is worse then Cotton.

Also Cotton rules, but is terrible. But she is objectively bad.

Peggy's mother didn't seem too terrible the first time she was depicted. She was shown briefly while on the telephone, wearing glasses and stirring something in a mixing bowl. She looked like an ordinary 1960's housewife.

"We use butter in this house!"

But when she appeared in the episode where the Hills go to Montana, she was very harsh towards Peggy.

"Sven Grammersdorf?"

King Possum III
Feb 15, 2016

You gotta admit the animation became more sophisticated in later seasons.

King Possum III
Feb 15, 2016

Strudel Man posted:

In the real story he ends up naked. He can't tell that one.

Hank could've used that flag to cover his nudity, but he used a potted cactus instead.

That particular cactus resembled a gherkin, IIRC. Now that was funny.

King Possum III
Feb 15, 2016

Bombadilillo posted:

Also, the drag queen episode, Peggys bite demonstration would make and amazing and terrifying AV

True, but your banana bird AV is pretty cool too, IMHO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Possum III
Feb 15, 2016

FinalGamer posted:

I could not believe it was an actual condition too! Still not sure how medically accurate having no rear end is, Hank's got a lot of issues physiologically I've noticed.

It's a real thing, no joke. I don't have any padding on my own backside; my legs just keep going until they merge with my lower spine.

It causes me "great shame."