Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard

John Smith posted:

"lie by omission" which the OP specified is his concern.

If OP can do the job they are applying for (with reasonable accommodation) then they don't need to tell their employer squat prior to starting work. As long as OP can do they job they're applying and being hired for, their vision is their own concern. If there are non-waivable physical requirements for the job, those should be in the job ad or disclosed in the application process. My current job, for example, clearly stated that the ability to distinguish colors and see in stereo was required. The OP would not be in the right to apply to a posting with those requirements, but that's not what we're talking about.

OP if you can do the job, apply and don't tell them anything else. When you start work put in a signed request for reasonable accommodation(s), as specifically as possible. Expect some growing pains but if they refuse to honor their requirement under the law to provide reasonable accommodation, that's their fault. If you can do the work and all you need is some special software and a pair of headphones (for example), that's perfectly reasonable to just ask for on day one. That's the point of "reasonable accommodation", right? That it's not a big deal for the employer, just get them a couple things and they're good to go, and keep working with them to resolve anything else as it may come up. The accommodations are reasonable- you're not asking for them to move mountains, just provide you with some additional tools, like they would do for anyone.

Uncle Enzo fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Jan 31, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

Pryor on Fire posted:

All this discussion about what is and isn't a lie and what the law says is really a horseshit collegiate waste of time, this person is blind and some advice around how to help someone get a successful career with that in mind seems like a better tack. I don't have any advice mind you, but all this jerking off over phrases and their definition like fine wine is just trying to wish away the elephant in the room.

The OP did not ask for help in finding a line of work that they could be successful in- actually they said they'd already done that, been interviewed (meaning the org was also fairly confident they were qualified), but then been turned down due to them disclosing a disability. I can't give the OP advice on what career is right for them- we haven't seen their resume, their experience, their education + grades, a writing sample, seen how good they are with people. poo poo, the companies did and were plenty interested! All we know is OP is visually impaired and getting turned down for jobs that they could have done with reasonable accommodation. That seems like the right thing to ask for advice and help on getting around.

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

This is probably a good time to point our that forums poster John Smith is known to be an rear end in a top hat with wrong ideas, bad opinions, and the hygiene of a bloated corpse.

OP I'd suggest researching the employment laws in Canada, as well as any specific ones in your province. You might want to talk to a social worker or someone at a (government) employment agency, just to learn what the laws say and your rights are.

• Locked thread