Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Oh hey hello MotoGP thread, this is where you are.

Lorenzo struggling to adapt the Ducati and Iannone throwing it off the island WHY I NEVER.

It was great action though, and you have to back Vinales in with a good chance. The Yamaha is probably the best all-around bike on the grid, Marquez may toss the Honda up himself but the speed of the Tech 3 guys is proof enough. Looks like the satellite Duke might be solid too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

nsaP posted:

Has there ever been a V Twin in MotoGP?

In the 500cc era, yes. In the four-stroke MotoGP era? Nope. Mostly four cylinders, with Aprilia and Honda as outliers as mentioned.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

builds character posted:

toot toot, just another stop on the vinales bandwagon. slavvy, you wanna get onboard? Plenty of room.

All four Yamahas in the top six :psyduck:

I'm shocked Zarco has any rear tire left though.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

nsaP posted:

Also I'm watching the 2006 season and I also miss Americans in global motorcycle racing. We got PJ and I think that's it.

Same. I'm not usually rah-rah U-S-A in motorsports, but wouldn't it be awesome if...

Hope somebody new comes in soon.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

DevCore posted:

I was lucky enough to meet/talk to Kevin Schwantz a few years ago at a bar that was hosting the GP watch events here in Austin.
He mentioned he had been working with youth/amateur race leagues to try and groom potential GP candidates. So maybe in the next few years we'll see a couple younger American riders filter into the Moto3 scene.

The hard part of that appears to be that the European kids start so early. Wonder what the average age of Moto3 is now, there's a lot of 16-, 17- and 18-year-olds. And it seems a stretch to think many Americans would want to send their motorbike child genius to Europe that young. I think that's the key behind MotoAmerica, give them a start here that merges into the ladder.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

DevCore posted:

I was at 19 and I got to see a couple of great scenes.

That said, I am critical of the track's design. I wish is had more sweeping high-speed turns rather than non-stop technical turns. (Think Laguna Seca)
I think they designed it with the spectator as the main focus, racing being the secondary focus.

People always flock to turn 15, but I find that section to be really boring.

Sector 1 is a ton of long corners and Sector 3 has a damned triple-apex right, they're just built more for cars than bikes as mentioned. Wide circuit plus wide runoff means the risks will be lowered (see Zarco v Rossi).

That penalty on Rossi was bullshit too, it may be to the letter of the law but ignoring that if Rossi has "kept his line" he would've been turfed by Zarco.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Slavvy posted:

I suspect most people who disagree with the penalty aren't diehard 46ers but rather are afraid of the racing getting too rulesy and f1-like and micro penalties for micro infractions are the start of that slippery slope.

Not for me. It was presented as a penalty on the world feed, I don't think it should've been. I don't even really think it should be a time adjustment either but that's me. Fortunately, it didn't impact any final positions in the race. That's what we can all find common ground on IMO.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Jorge figured out how to ride the Ducati. Kill me now.

Not gonna call it yet. I'd be much more worried if he was the one just strangling the race away from the front.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

BitcoinRockefeller posted:

Jack Miller has Schrodinger's crash which is simultaneously extremely unlucky and the luckiest thing he's ever had happen.

https://twitter.com/rendicahya/status/865908340001341442

there are a few different ways that could have gone absolutely horribly

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Gentlemen we've hit Peak Moto3

https://twitter.com/MotoGP/status/866218449189486593

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Fanelien posted:

Watched this live. Glad I switched channels from the kids programming even though I had to put up with a tantrum.

from one form of kid's programming to another :v:

saw later apparently there was fluid down on the track, which is a reasonable explanation for out-of-nowhere synchronized low-sides I suppose

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Oh my goddddddd those last two laps

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

algebra testes posted:

MotoGP rules, this just in.

it's not news, but it remains very true.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Wirth1000 posted:

The entire Arab world (Saudi Arabia, UAE, Bahrain, Egypt, Libya etc. etc.) have completely cut off Qatar, isolated it, banned Qatar Airways and such from flying over their airspace and Saudi and UAE have even made it illegal up to 15 years in prison to even say anything supportive of Qatar.

That's kind of just scratching the surface but yeah I imagine it'd be extremely difficult to host a grand prix in these circumstances.

Wonder if that ban includes Barca shirts too.

If Qatar does go it sounds like MotoGP has new races lined up, including two in SE Asia which might be fun to go visit and see. Wonder if that means we'll cut Spain down to a meager three rounds next year.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Wirth1000 posted:

jesus christ

:stare: :stare: :stare:

loving hell hope he's recovering soon from that.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Zarco's tires cooked?

(Petrucci! My goodness)

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Yoooooooo those last few laps :psyboom:

Rossi :unsmith:

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

n8r posted:

Yamaha got things so wrong in 2006 they went back to the previous years' frame. This was part of the reason why Nicky won that year.

I thought Marquez was still using a 2014 chassis...but yeah it's amazing how much more it happens in MotoGP versus F1 or other forms of racing.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

More Ducatis in the top 10 than Hondas, wow.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Slavvy posted:

Or the fantastic bike designed to take advantage of bridgestone front tyres?

Sounds like this, specifically. the new Yamaha seems to be working for Vinales, the old one is the most neutral and straightforward chassis on the grid, and the Ducati seems to be capable. Not sure why the Suzuki has taken a step back though - have we just not focused on Iannone throwing it off the island because he's not on a Ducati?

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

MotoGP Calvinball rules there for the first few laps.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Announced today that Moto2 rider Takaaki Nakagami is moving up to MotoGP next year with LCR Honda (shock). News here:

https://twitter.com/takanakagami30/status/899198989349736449

Not shocking, he has a major sponsor behind him (Idemitsu) and Honda hasn't had a Japanese rider in the top level since Aoyama left.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Skreemer posted:

And if you haven't seen the news yet, Rossi broke his leg.

And Crutchlow tried to cut his fingers off! :v:

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

MotoGP has announced their 2018 calendar. The order and races are all the same, but with two major differences: the Thai GP following Aragon and ahead of Japan, Australia and Malaysia; and "Circuit to be announced" next to the British GP on the calendar.

Any takers on odds it'll go back to Donington Park?

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

My memory was that Silverstone was being contracted by the Circuit of Wales people, who have had their contract ended after this year. So if Silverstone want the race it would be their choice.

If memory serves it went to Silverstone because Donington had too much money and Icarus'd trying to get Formula 1 back, and while they were laundering money they tried to get the Circuit of Wales going, that group took the rights to the race. Silverstone may have originally been more a temporary stop, but bad plans being what they are, there is no Circuit of Wales and here we are.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

I actually don't mind either, they're certainly streets ahead of the Sky and ITV Formula 1 crews and less "it's super early in the morning and we're punchy" than the Speed F1 crew, they're knowledgeable and enthusiastic and it definitely shows. But yeah Dylan is a smart happy puppy.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

It’s supposed to be chilly and rainy all loving weekend, which is fine because I like fall weather but bad because I was going to head to Fuji for the WEC :mad: so yeah not going to be surprised if it rains or is mixed conditions in the race, OR if it’s dry and some riders struggle getting tires up to temperature.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Slavvy posted:

It's gonna be blazing sunshine and the tyres will do unpredictable poo poo and some random person will win in an unsatisfying non-battle.

Sadly no, it’s still grey and pissy with rain all the way from Fuji through Tokyo up the hills to Motegi. WEC race at Fuji is underway and very wet, and it’s still cold and rainy around my apartment in the Tokyo area.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

And it all makes sense now - George is Sebastian Vettel. Conditions have to be perfect, and he’s not the best elbows-out combat racer on the grid.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Slavvy posted:

GTFO with this F1 bullshit. Even the worst most miserable rider on the gp grid (Karel Abraham in case you were wondering) has more sack and talent than anyone in F1.

Hi yeah that’s not my point of comparison whatsoever.

Jorge needs the bike a certain way, and wins races predominantly by leading from the front and strangling the life out of it. Vettel needs his bike car a certain way and wins races in a similar way. Guys like Marquez, Ricciardo, Rossi, Hamilton are more comfortable dicing and making passes. It’s about race craft and mechanical preferences, not trying to say who’s got more sack than the other guy. This isn’t a bike vs car thing, it’s seeing similarities between two champions across disciplines.

And FWIW either Vale or Marc would do well in top-class car racing because their race craft and read of grip is so drat good. Doing that with your rear end in the saddle is different than in a cockpit, but I think their skills would transfer well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

I was spoiled on the championship result which, yeah, no real surprise. But that race :stare: holy gently caress how dramatic was that. And that’s before Marquez tested the laws of physics.

• Locked thread