Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I kept meaning to watch the super-bikes but the headlines after race 1 were pretty much "Rea dominates: Same expected Race 2" so I didn't.

It's been said that the KTMs are running Moto2 times, which was harsh but fair after day one. Now they're not so hilariously off the pace anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I was watching an old Daytona 200 on youtube

One of these names, not like the other.

This is also the year Lawson came out of retirement and won it too.

algebra testes fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Mar 15, 2017

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
That was so dope when he did those 3 fill in rides a decade ago on the factory yam supersport.

Especially when he anihilated the field in the rain.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

quote:

Earlier Valentino had been asked why Maverick was so much faster than he was. “He is able to do the corner faster” was the deadpan response.

https://www.superbikeplanet.com/ryder-notes-rain-desert/

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Motogp qualifying cancelled due to weather, grid determined by FP3 times.

There is a chance that the race gets pushed back until monday.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Crazy world we live in.

Laps led by a Suzuki and a Tech 3 Yamaha, and the loving Aprillia being a second behind both works Hondas.

Looks like it'll be a ripper year boys.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Wait, since when do the Superbikes have race one on Saturday?

Am I really that old and out of touch?

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Back in the day, yes. But I am unsure about the modern 4-stroke era.

Honda made their cheep and cheerful NSR500V v twin privateer/factory bike until around 2001 or so.

E this post is super unhelpful I know, but the smallest cylinder engine I can think of is the Aprillia Cube which was a tripple of some sort. I belive it spent most of its time highsiding its riders.

For a while it was thought that v4 was the best configuration and I think it is in terms of power. Also they alternate between screamer and big bang every few years I believe which is hilarious.

algebra testes fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Apr 7, 2017

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Holy poo poo

:siren: :supaburn: KTM not slowest in fp only second and third slowest.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Lmao I didn't realise the Texas Tornado was doing Moto3 practice commentary for BT.

algebra testes fucked around with this message at 13:32 on Apr 8, 2017

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I'm still kinda sad that they added the age limit to Moto3.

It used to be fun seeing old dudes get cut up by young 'uns in 125s.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Remind me again, everyone was injured right? Thats why it was just those two and the tragic comedy of errors that eventuated?

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

nsaP posted:

Rossi was hurt and Capirossi got merked in Catalunya the race before. But Pedrosa was nowhere and saying it's cause people were injured isn't fair to Hayden or Edwards. They were both front runners for a lot of the season, Edwards led in more than one race and Hayden was usually with the lead group.

This post is amazing because it completely forgot about Marco Melandri.

Just liken I did until I googled the season results.

Slavvy posted:

Surprisingly, not the worst thing I've heard Nicky's championship year called.

When Pedrosa torpedoed Hayden I went out and howled at the moon. God that was hilarious.

But seriously I was/am the biggest Texas Tornado fan so that race makes me sad till this day.

Also Bayliss winning the finale was so dope.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Wait isnt FORMER BSB SUPERBIKE CHAMPION Josh Brookes back in the BSB?

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Edwards mentioned that one of the problems he faced was that most Americans came through Superbikes, and once you get to motogp you are at tracks that these guys had been racing on for 10 years in junior classes.

If you then consider Edwards did well at either new tracks like Qatar or tracks on the WSBK calander like Assen and Donnington that makes sense.

That double wammy of starting young and just racing on these circuits is really tough.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

builds character posted:

Seriously though, PEDs?

Nah the bike is really good and he is slower that his team mate he just hasn't fallen off.

Also a lot of great riders retire due to injuries or being sick of being injured. Foggy, Doohan, Rainey etc so for that reason the strangest thing about him is the tracks are somewhat more safer than even a few years ago so there is less risk of a horrific injury or a series of determination sapping injuries.

Its hasn't been uncommon for race drivers to doninate as late as late 30s assuming they have a good car. I think we haven't seen it due to the sheer attrition of bike racing.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Old Valentino would have just jumped the start and then won by a margin greater than the time penalty

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I mean 20 years ago either Berger or Alesi crashed exiting the pits because the computer didn't know where they were on the track and the active suspension was at the wrong ride height and it bottomed out.

E: Berger

https://youtu.be/R_jmnBiFwKw

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
You clearly arent enough of a old, bitter lapsed "F1 has been bad since the late 90s" loser like me.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
There was one great case where Donnington repaved the track and placed the ripple strips at the wrong places.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I can't hate Sete because that year with him and Rossi was one of the best in memory.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

quote:

Lace Up Your Shoes, Boys
Originally published 2013
Dean Adams
Thursday, May 18, 2017
When the Hayden boys, Tom, Nicky and Roger Lee, talk to one another, it’s almost like they speak in a special Hayden clan code. And unless you’re a close friend of the family you’re never going to know any of the code phrases or what they mean. It’s not a secret society or anything. Those three have been racing and riding together for over twenty years now and after a while I suppose they just stopped finishing each other’s sentences because they could convey their thoughts with just a few words and a look.

I only know two of the phrases, or think I do anyway. The first one is when discussing another rider, one of the boys will look at his brother and say, “Yeah, I don’t think his dad beat him very much.”

The first few times you hear one of them say that, you sort of stumble away thinking, pretty good kids those Haydens, on top of being fast, they’re also advocates for stopping harmful child abuse. They, you think, must have compiled a short mental list of riders whose dads physically abused their sons and which fathers used modern strategies–—reasoning with teenagers—–successfully.

It’s not until much later—–if ever–—that you hear the rest of that phrase. I think the full phrase is, and it’s usually said on the dirt track grid, “Yeah, I don’t think his dad beat him very much. But I think he’s gonna get beat right now.”

Not many remember it today, but in 2002–—the same season that he won the AMA Superbike title on an RC51–—Nick Hayden also raced almost the entire season of dirt track. At that time it was pretty clear that Nick’s opportunities to race dirt track in the future would be limited–—he’d be in MotoGP or WSBK soon so logistically it was just not going to work to, say, come back from Motegi and race the Peoria TT, no matter how badly he wanted to. So, Nick raced dirt track all over the US that season and won a great number of races for a guy whose real goal that year was to win the Daytona 200 and the Superbike title.

Roadracer Nick was transitioning to being a “former dirt tracker.” It was not easy for him. Hayden won the Peoria TT, beating Chris Carr—–who was then known as the Prince of Peoria—–and also won numerous Grand National events at Springfield.

However, the race that might be the most relevant after the last lap at Indy, and the one attached to the other Hayden-only phrase I’ve heard, happened in a grungy little bowl in Tunica, Mississippi the weekend after Hayden signed his deal to race for the factory MotoGP team in 2002.

edit this was an obnoxiously long text dump, so I edited but I think it's worth a read about young Nicky.

https://www.superbikeplanet.com/lace-shoes-boys/

algebra testes fucked around with this message at 05:07 on May 19, 2017

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Jesus christ

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
MotoGP = Awesome.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Rest in Peace, Nicky.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
edit so we're clear, this isn't the CCTV footage, rather the highlight package of his title year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Ko_MIVNtio

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Julian Ryder's column

quote:

The abiding image I have of Nicky Hayden is set in the press room of the Valencia circuit. It’s a big room and it was packed as Nicky came in and sat down after becoming world champion. You remember the pictures; the flag, the tears. He looked up, just about in control of his emotions and was greeted with the longest sustained round of applause I have heard. No whooping or hollering, just a profound expression of admiration from the people who’d watched him struggle against the odds to a championship that will look better and better as history and time put it in perspective. To win on what was a development bike, different from every other Honda, with rookie crew chief Pete Benson against Valentino Rossi was a great, great achievement. I know this because Valentino Rossi said so, I know this because Kenny Roberts said so.

Nicky was unfailingly polite and professional no matter what, he was to us Europeans a fine example of what we took to be the best expression of true American values, and believe me we need reminding of them right now. I only saw him angry twice. One was obviously in the gravel trap at Estoril, the other was outside the press office at Assen. An over-officious security guard had tried to stop his mum going in to the press conference and had pushed her. I strolled up to find a red-faced Nicky wagging a finger in the face of a man about a foot taller and wider than him, yelling “Where I come from, you don’t put your hands on a woman.” Only the early and calming intervention of the circuit’s well-respected press officer stopped things escalating. As for Portugal, Nicky let it be known afterwards that Dani could make things right by helping him at Valencia. Dani did his duty, Nicky said “I am a man of my word” and to my knowledge let the whole thing go. That is a measure of the man, not just a great racer but the only universally respected, and loved, man to have lit up the Grand Prix paddock.

https://www.superbikeplanet.com/ryder-notes-images-nick/

:qq:

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
That would seriously put a damper on that crowd

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
MotoGP rules, this just in.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Old games you mean... GP500? :wink:

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Slavvy posted:

Guy Martin dusts off his old bridesmaid's dress.

lol

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Redvenom posted:

Guy's crash in the Superbike race was massive. To walk away from that with nothing more than a sore wrist ...

Yeah I respect the hell out of him for saying "nup" to the Senior TT. That interview with him afte where he's clearly in shock from almost dying is really tough.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I miss proper tyre roulette, when some b grade rider just smokes the field on a dunlop/bridgestone bike.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Dovi!!!

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I doubt spain loses a race as stupid as that sounds, but its getting complicated with Finland, Sokol and Thailand coming in, and Austria and Jerez being out of contract.

Ditching a home gp like Jerez doesn't "feel" right but I may be wrong.

Potentially Finland can get pushed a year and thry dont have to make any decisions for a year and see how all the tracks shape up.

algebra testes fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Jun 13, 2017

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Skreemer posted:

Zarco gets pole at Assen.

:woop:

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Barnsy posted:

On a scale of 1 to 10, how embarrassing is that for the works Yamaha team?

Back in the day, you'd have works bikes on non works teams, so it wasn't uncommon for that to be seen as a win for the factory.

These days though I get the feeling that it's seen as a mark of "our bike is so good that even without all the fancy bits it's still faster than factory Honda."

edit: ahaha rumours are circulating that Valentino is riding a tech 3 chassis.

DirtRoadJunglist posted:

Not as embarrassing as it was for the Ducati works team to see Redding place well in Q2 while Lorenzo languished at the rear end-end of the grid.

Weather or no, behind a KTM!!!

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Yiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiikes

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Rip Vinales

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

algebra testes